daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 20th, 2010, 04:40 PM   #2241
T74

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
Except for sunny Spain and Italy, the weather is always crappy in moldy ol' Europe so the FIFA "Fifis" are simply mirroring, projecting their own issues onto others as if the rest of the world has to exist by their blueprint. I mean seriously, 100% roofed stadiums? Haha! The 2014 Super Bowl will be in New Jersey, in an unroofed stadium, in February! I hope it's -20F: good football!
have to agree, one of my best (aussie rules) footy memories was cheering my boys from the boundary line in pouring freezing cold rain

sure, I got the flu, but we got the win so I could give a damn
T74 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 20th, 2010, 04:50 PM   #2242
Archbishop

Likes (Received): 145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solopop View Post
But why are they so big? Surely they could just use one?
Well the Rose Bowl was built a way long time ago for the Festival of Roses or whatever it's called, and the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum was built for the 1932 Olympics. And then of course the Raiders played at the LA Coliseum for a while when they were in L.A. The Rose Bowl will stand forever because of the historical nature of the stadium.
Archbishop no está en línea  
Old June 20th, 2010, 04:57 PM   #2243
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 1108

LA is also a seriously large city in population and area. The Coliseum and the Rose bowl aren't that close. Many cities have numerious large stadiums for the same or similar purpose. London has Wembley, Emirates and Twickenham, Melbourne has the MCG and Etihad on either side of the CBD. Back around 1980 the MCG capacity was well over 100 000 and Melbourne still had Waverley Park whcih held 75 000. LA is far larger than Melbourne. They can justify them both easily.
Walbanger no está en línea  
Old June 20th, 2010, 05:00 PM   #2244
Solopop
Solopop

Likes (Received): 99

I just don't see why you wouldn't include both in the bid...
Solopop no está en línea  
Old June 20th, 2010, 05:00 PM   #2245
RaiderATO

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
It's difficult for a college team to share a stadium with another. NFL can with their balanced scheduling but college teams don't have balanced schedules. Both these universities will have more home football games than away games. Basically, there is a demand for at least two massive L.A. stadiums on Fall Saturdays.

Last edited by RaiderATO; June 20th, 2010 at 05:13 PM.
RaiderATO no está en línea  
Old June 20th, 2010, 05:01 PM   #2246
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9701

Quote:
Except for sunny Spain and Italy, the weather is always crappy in moldy ol' Europe so the FIFA "Fifis" are simply mirroring, projecting their own issues onto others as if the rest of the world has to exist by their blueprint.
That's not totally true, many non-football stadiums around the world have roofs:

Beijing Olympic
Montréal Olympique
Buffalo (war memorial)
Sydney ANZ
Brisbane Suncorp
Rio Olympic
Djakarta
Kuala lumpur
Hong Kong
Tunis
Abu Dhabi
Pyongyang
Seoul Olympic
Manila

etc

etc (tennis courts, rugby stadiums, ovals, ballparks, velodromes, Formula 1 stands, hippodromes.......)
parcdesprinces no está en línea  
Old June 20th, 2010, 05:06 PM   #2247
RaiderATO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archbishop View Post
Well the Rose Bowl was built a way long time ago for the Festival of Roses or whatever it's called, and the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum was built for the 1932 Olympics.
Not true. They were both built around 1921 and USC was an initial tenant at LA Memorial Coliseum.
Old June 20th, 2010, 05:06 PM   #2248
Solopop
Solopop

Likes (Received): 99

Melbourne Etihad ^
Solopop no está en línea  
Old June 20th, 2010, 05:16 PM   #2249
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9701

Quote:
Melbourne Etihad ^
My list is obviously far from exhaustive !
parcdesprinces no está en línea  
Old June 20th, 2010, 05:19 PM   #2250
RaiderATO

Quote:
I just don't see why you wouldn't include both in the bid...
Judging by the USA Bid website, they're both being considered.

http://www.gousabid.com/city/local/los-angeles-ca/

And, one reason both might not be included is because of the massive amount of cities and stadiums that are fit (and maybe even better suited than these two) to host a WC game. It seems The Rose Bowl has more recent FIFA and soccer experience.
Old June 20th, 2010, 05:43 PM   #2251
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 864

Quote:
The Rose Bowl was built in 1922 to accommodate fans who wanted to watch the football game after they watched the Rose Parade. The stadium they played in before held only 40,000 people. So you see why the Rose Bowl is so big. The Rose Bowl is one of the largest stadiums in the United States that hosts soccer games from time to time. The United States national soccer team plays games in the Rose Bowl occasionally. The LA Galaxy occasionally still plays games there, against marquee opponents such as FC Barcelona. The Mexican national soccer team, which has a large following in Los Angeles, has hosted several friendly matches at the Rose Bowl. On March 3, 2010, Mexico hosted New Zealand in a tune-up match for the 2010 FIFA World Cup and had a crowd of 90,500. The Rose Bowl is one of 21 stadiums that could host the 2018 or 2022 World Cup if it is awarded to the United States. The Rose Bowl is the spiritual home for American Soccer.

The LA Coliseum really doesn't need much of an introduction as it is one of the most important and historic stadiums not only in the US but in the world. Both the Rose Bowl and the LA Coliseum would be very well suited to host the WC Final as by 2022, they would be vastly upgraded.
Old June 20th, 2010, 08:25 PM   #2252
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Then place your bid and see which way the wind blows. You're full of talk but I don't see that bid, cupcake.
You want to see real football grounds? Here they are:

image hosted on flickr

The Den

image hosted on flickr

White Hart Lane
Old June 20th, 2010, 08:39 PM   #2253
RobH

Likes (Received): 10327

Who do you want to win 2022 flierfy, just out of interest, seeing as you're adding very little to this thread?
RobH no está en línea  
Old June 20th, 2010, 08:41 PM   #2254
flierfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walbanger View Post
What is with the roof obsession some Europeans have,
That's not an obsession but common sense. A roof keeps the sun and the rain out and the the atmosphere in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walbanger View Post
America has been building bigger and better stadiums longer than anyone, its a bit much telling them how to do it.
I very much doubt this. American stadiums are neither bigger nor have they been built earlier. And that they're not better has already been mentioned.
Old June 20th, 2010, 08:46 PM   #2255
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post

image hosted on flickr
So the reason you say "ground" instead of "stadium" is because you're discussing four grandstands that happen to face the same patch of grass? Wow, that's so awesome.
krudmonk no está en línea  
Old June 20th, 2010, 08:54 PM   #2256
flierfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
Who do you want to win 2022 flierfy, just out of interest,
From those who are bidding Australia. Would be another winter World Cup with 64 floodlight games probably.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
seeing as you're adding very little to this thread?
I add as much as anyone else.
Old June 20th, 2010, 09:58 PM   #2257
Anubis2051
Captian Clutch

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by weava View Post
The only route I know people have taken is from KC to STL and it can take 5-6 hours on amtrak but only 3 hours to drive and its cheaper to drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
Big beleiver in Amtrak, however the booking rates here in the northeast corridor are pretty expensive. It's amazing that the SuperPwer USA has no REAL high speed inter-city rail system...... Acella is nothing more than a business class flight on rails....
I live in Jersey, but was visiting friends in Boston. I looked into the train, but it would have taken over 8 hours, and cost more than $200 each way. I wound up flying, which took under an hour, and cost $115 round trip. Flying is so easy and cheep here in the US that I don't think the lack of a rail system would be a problem.

Quote:
Massive press boxes.
Not to mention Luxury/Sky Boxes

Quote:
I would bet that New York would get it.
Makes sense, considering LA had it last time, not to mention New York's host stadium would only be 8-12 years old.

Quote:
Yeah I doubt they will care if they have to take out 5 rows of Lincoln Financial Field. We all talk about how cool those stadiums in some countries will look if they get built, but we've got those state-of-the-art stadiums right here. Cowboys Stadium, U of Phoenix Stadium, Lucas Oil Stadium, Meadowlands Stadium, all are magnificent stadiums. A United States World Cup would be incredible. This time they would use real stadiums, not the crappy ones at 1994 (Stanford Stadium, Citrus Bowl? C'mon now...)
One big thing that I think is being overlooked is that since 1994, there has been a big move away from the mulipurpose cookie cutters for football and baseball that were popular from the 1960s to 1990s. With the opening of Camden Yards in 1992, there has been a trend to build separate stadiums for each sport. This means that there are a number of cities that were unable to host in 1994 because their stadium was being used for the MLB season that will now have a vacant NFL stadium in the summer that can be used for the WC.

Here's a list of those cities:
Atlanta
Cincinnati
Cleveland
Denver
Houston
Minneapolis
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
St. Louis
San Diego
San Francisco
Seattle
Miami (as of 2012 MLB Season)

Houston and Seattle are known Soccer hotbeds, and would be great hosts. But this also means that there is still a bit of an "unexplored territory" to the US, in that a good many large US cities have yet to host a WC match.

Last edited by Anubis2051; June 20th, 2010 at 10:21 PM.
Anubis2051 no está en línea  
Old June 20th, 2010, 10:01 PM   #2258
Archbishop

Likes (Received): 145

Oh yeah. I completely forgot about the cookie cutters. I sure am glad that era's over. It will be nice to get Seattle and Houston as hosts this time around.
Archbishop no está en línea  
Old June 20th, 2010, 10:27 PM   #2259
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53450

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post

image hosted on flickr

The Den

image hosted on flickr

White Hart Lane
Seriously?

Getting back to state of the art facilities, most soccer-only stadiums were designed to be fully expandable so they could grow with the sport. Additionally, I would expect 4 or 5 major soccer pitches to be either built or on the boards by 2020. If we win the WC bid, that would factor into plans to go forward with the fully built jobs instead of the phased variety. On top of the billion dollar football stadiums already available and on the way, of course.
desertpunk no está en línea  
Old June 20th, 2010, 11:00 PM   #2260
slipperydog

Likes (Received): 2401

Why would someone from Britain be worried about keeping the sun out?

You're either a narrow-minded Brit or a narrow-minded Anglophile. Either way, we feel quite content with our bid, with or without your approval. FIFA are all about money and organization, and the problem with SA 2010 is low attendance and the problem with Brazil 2014 is organization/infrastructure. By giving it to the USA, they guarantee great attendance, modern stadiums, and stellar organization.

BTW, this is not the thread to discuss the European/mostly British "roof complex", but I will say Spanish and Italian fans seem to manage quite fine without roofs. It's called "thinking outside the box", my friend. You happen to be stuck in it right now.

And for your information, yes American stadiums are bigger. The average capacity of our bid is about 77,000.
slipperydog no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
los angeles, united states of america, world cup