daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 21st, 2010, 07:11 PM   #2281
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMKay View Post
It's not the expression that makes you narrow minded, it's the narrow minded ignorant content.
Look who's talking. You mock purpose-built football grounds without ever being there, some of you already know Brazil's failures of the 2014 World Cup but adulate the bid of your own country. You have no reason to accuse others of ignorance.

Sponsored Links
Old June 21st, 2010, 07:23 PM   #2282
slipperydog

Likes (Received): 2401

slipperydog no está en línea  
Old June 21st, 2010, 07:38 PM   #2283
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

"Purpose-built," hahaha. If NFL stadia were not built with soccer in mind, they'd be as narrow as the Ohio State horseshoe.
krudmonk no está en línea  
Old June 21st, 2010, 07:40 PM   #2284
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53450

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
Look who's talking. You mock purpose-built football grounds without ever being there, some of you already know Brazil's failures of the 2014 World Cup but adulate the bid of your own country. You have no reason to accuse others of ignorance.
And you came here to troll because you have some ridiculous agenda. Maybe you're scared that your game, your traditions, and ultimately your country are threatened by soccer's expanding horizons. You should be a cricket fan instead: I guarantee no US interest in that sport for at least the next 300 years.
desertpunk no está en línea  
Old June 21st, 2010, 07:42 PM   #2285
Archbishop

Likes (Received): 145

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
"Purpose-built," hahaha. If NFL stadia were not built with soccer in mind, they'd be as narrow as the Ohio State horseshoe.
This. Gillette and Qwest were obviously built with soccer in mind. Qwest wouldn't have gotten built if it wasn't able to host major soccer events, and Robert Kraft built Gillette not just for the Patriots but for the Revolution as well. Lucas Oil Stadium is definitely built to host soccer and so is every other NFL stadium built recently because the cities and owners know the money they could make with soccer. No NFL stadiums are made just for football.
Archbishop no está en línea  
Old June 21st, 2010, 08:24 PM   #2286
flierfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
And you came here to troll because you have some ridiculous agenda.
I came here to read your comments, answered a question and defended my point of view against offences. If that's trolling I wonder what you do.

Quote:
Maybe you're scared that your game, your traditions, and ultimately your country are threatened by soccer's expanding horizons. You should be a cricket fan instead: I guarantee no US interest in that sport for at least the next 300 years.
Why should I be scared of expanding horizons. For the time being any decent footballer leaves your shores to play on a higher level. And American football is still a long way off to turn this tide in its favour. You have more reason to be scared actually.
Old June 21st, 2010, 08:45 PM   #2287
Archbishop

Oh please. The game is growing over here. Players being successful in Europe helps MLS and American soccer.
Old June 21st, 2010, 08:51 PM   #2288
The Game Is Up
Proud Facebook Non-Member

Likes (Received): 255

I think his point is that stadia not built primarily for association football (a.k.a. soccer) aren't the right venues for a World Cup. Well, what do you make of athletics stadia, rugby stadia and even cricket stadia being used, not to mention baseball stadia, as in the case of some countries? FIFA has long been willing to allow such conversions where they are most convenient, i.e. a more ideal venue isn't available in the host country.

The stadia that would be used here will likely be very contemporary, with some possible reuses of older stadia, in case the World Cup does come again. I don't think it would happen soon but the capabilities have been proven before and will be proven again. FIFA, with this bid, has something to fall back on in case any host country they prefer doesn't comply with the obligations.
Old June 21st, 2010, 09:15 PM   #2289
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9701

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archbishop View Post
This. Gillette and Qwest were obviously built with soccer in mind.
I heard that Reliant and Phoenix stadiums (even the new soldier field) were also built with soccer in mind ???
Anyway, it's a non-issue IMO.. lower tiers/corners of US football-specific stadiums can be removed (e.g. Rose Bowl or Cotton Bowl for USA '94)

Last edited by parcdesprinces; June 21st, 2010 at 09:23 PM.
parcdesprinces no está en línea  
Old June 21st, 2010, 09:47 PM   #2290
RobH

Likes (Received): 10327

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game Is Up View Post
I think his point is that stadia not built primarily for association football (a.k.a. soccer) aren't the right venues for a World Cup. Well, what do you make of athletics stadia, rugby stadia and even cricket stadia being used, not to mention baseball stadia, as in the case of some countries? FIFA has long been willing to allow such conversions where they are most convenient, i.e. a more ideal venue isn't available in the host country.
Exactly, they may not be completely ideal, but unless FIFA want to go to Qatar they're not going to have much choice. Australian stadiums are probably even tricker for football (and I say that as someone who would prefer the Ozzie bid to win).

Only a tiny handful of European countries would host the world cup with football-only stadiums. England will if the Olympics stadium isn't included in 2018, for example, but most countries cannot do this.
RobH no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2010, 12:16 AM   #2291
Archbishop

If the fact that our stadiums weren't built for just soccer is the biggest flaw with our bid, I'm feeling really, really, really good about our chances.
Old June 22nd, 2010, 12:57 AM   #2292
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9701

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
Only a tiny handful of European countries would host the world cup with football-only stadiums.
I disagree, even France (aka the non-sporting nation except Rugby) hosted with 9 football-specific stadiums + the SdF which has retractable tiers !
parcdesprinces no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2010, 04:58 AM   #2293
eMKay

Likes (Received): 224

Quote:
Show me one post where I mocked purpose built grounds, or any stadium for that matter.
HOCKEY Buffalo Bisons/Sabres est: 1940/1970
BASKETBALL Buffalo Braves->LA Clippers est: 1970
eMKay no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2010, 08:14 AM   #2294
KingmanIII

Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
And you came here to troll because you have some ridiculous agenda. Maybe you're scared that your game, your traditions, and ultimately your country are threatened by soccer's expanding horizons. You should be a cricket fan instead: I guarantee no US interest in that sport for at least the next 300 years.
Just wait'll another Bart King hits the scene...
KingmanIII no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2010, 08:52 AM   #2295
T74

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
You should be a cricket fan instead: I guarantee no US interest in that sport for at least the next 300 years.
It ain't cricket anymore, its this crap bastardized thing called "Twenty Twenty" for Gen Y's who cannot focus on something for more than an hour and a half
T74 no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2010, 08:56 AM   #2296
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archbishop View Post
I could have sworn there were planned renovations for the stadium. Maybe I was wrong.
There are plans to renovate the Rose Bowl, but just to the luxury suites and press box for the most part. The rest of the inadequacies will go untouched. It will be great for college football, but the World Cup requirements are up on another level.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2010, 09:22 AM   #2297
KingmanIII

Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by T74 View Post
It ain't cricket anymore, its this crap bastardized thing called "Twenty Twenty" for Gen Y's who cannot focus on something for more than an hour and a half
or who can't get out of the office more than once a week for a Test/ODI/FC/List-A session...
KingmanIII no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2010, 09:56 AM   #2298
kiqwolf
Moreliano Visionario

Likes (Received): 5

you can make 4 WC at the same time if you want, that's way Mexico is no longer a candidate
Old June 22nd, 2010, 12:03 PM   #2299
flierfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMKay View Post
Show me one post where I mocked purpose built grounds, or any stadium for that matter.
Nowhere, probably. I was basically talking to all of you who accuse me. Quoting just your comment was quite unfavourable admittedly.
Old June 22nd, 2010, 08:19 PM   #2300
eMKay

Likes (Received): 224

Quote:
Nowhere, probably. I was basically talking to all of you who accuse me. Quoting just your comment was quite unfavourable admittedly.
Since it's been proven you don't know what you're talking about and haven't added anything of value to this thread, why not stick to a thread about a world cup Bid in your own country.
HOCKEY Buffalo Bisons/Sabres est: 1940/1970
BASKETBALL Buffalo Braves->LA Clippers est: 1970
eMKay no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
los angeles, united states of america, world cup