daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools
Old June 23rd, 2010, 10:41 AM   #2321
carlspannoosh
Registered User
 
carlspannoosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Islington
Posts: 2,215
Likes (Received): 749

I have no doubts that it works in the context of of American football. College stadiums have amazing atmospheres. Its just the "roofs are for pussies" line doesn't really work when talking about the other type of football.
carlspannoosh no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 23rd, 2010, 11:34 AM   #2322
flierfy
Registered User
 
flierfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,885
Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlspannoosh View Post
As cool as the New Den is (only Millwall fans can tell you how good it is or isn't) it hasn't got the 60000 seats that FIFA and travelling fans demand or a big fat party area for big fat FIFA sponsors to advertise their crap in so it doesn't really belong in a World Cup candidate thread.
I didn't propose The Den for World Cup matches. It was just a response to a request for genuine football grounds.
__________________
Rippachtal.de
flierfy no está en línea  
Old June 23rd, 2010, 11:48 AM   #2323
carlspannoosh
Registered User
 
carlspannoosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Islington
Posts: 2,215
Likes (Received): 749

It may be a genuine football ground but it doesn't really give us any insight into why you think US stadiums are unsuitable for the World Cup.
carlspannoosh no está en línea  
Old June 23rd, 2010, 03:13 PM   #2324
Luke80
Registered User
 
Luke80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Surrey, UK
Posts: 774
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
Of course, I did. The Den is precisely how a football ground should be. Four straight and covered stands around a well-kept pitch. No jeer can spoil this marvellous ground for me.
Have you been there? It's really unimpressive. Boring layout and pretty poor catering (at least they will be relative to Championship grounds next season).

From the back of the stands the view is good and the Millwall fans put on a great 'show' (blend of passion and complete psycho madness) come playoff time but it's hardly a top 'real football ground'.

Why not post pics of grounds which have been develpoved over the years but have kept a certain character? E.g Charlton:



or future Hillsborough development:

Luke80 no está en línea  
Old June 23rd, 2010, 03:17 PM   #2325
flierfy
Registered User
 
flierfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,885
Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlspannoosh View Post
It may be a genuine football ground but it doesn't really give us any insight into why you think US stadiums are unsuitable for the World Cup.
I already stated these reasons in previous posts.
__________________
Rippachtal.de
flierfy no está en línea  
Old June 23rd, 2010, 04:02 PM   #2326
flierfy
Registered User
 
flierfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,885
Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke80 View Post
Have you been there? It's really unimpressive. Boring layout and pretty poor catering (at least they will be relative to Championship grounds next season).
I didn't pay any attention to the catering inside. There are, however, the usual burger stalls outside the ground and pubs nearby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke80 View Post
From the back of the stands the view is good and the Millwall fans put on a great 'show' (blend of passion and complete psycho madness) come playoff time but it's hardly a top 'real football ground'.

Why not post pics of grounds which have been develpoved over the years but have kept a certain character? E.g Charlton:
I don't post pictures of grounds I haven't been to. That's why no Charlton or Wednesday.
__________________
Rippachtal.de
flierfy no está en línea  
Old June 23rd, 2010, 07:09 PM   #2327
rantanamo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 3,507
Likes (Received): 353

Outside of England and Germany most stadiums that even have roofs don't cover most fans. Most of the spectators at this World Cup are exposed. Even at Soccer City most fans are exposed. There is no requirement except for media and dignitaries. Funny thing is, the way the FIFA document is worded, it reads like anything short of a fully retractable roof with climate control while its closed is short of their ideal. In that sense, only the US could pull off their ideal because of the multitude of retractable roofs and domes.
rantanamo no está en línea  
Old June 23rd, 2010, 07:44 PM   #2328
KingmanIII
Registered User
 
KingmanIII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Killa City, Misery
Posts: 2,628
Likes (Received): 416

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke80 View Post
Have you been there? It's really unimpressive. Boring layout and pretty poor catering (at least they will be relative to Championship grounds next season).

From the back of the stands the view is good and the Millwall fans put on a great 'show' (blend of passion and complete psycho madness) come playoff time but it's hardly a top 'real football ground'.

Why not post pics of grounds which have been develpoved over the years but have kept a certain character? E.g Charlton:



or future Hillsborough development:

or Villa Park



or Stamford Bridge (a personal fave of mine)

KingmanIII no está en línea  
Old June 23rd, 2010, 08:44 PM   #2329
Archbishop
Registered User
 
Archbishop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 642
Likes (Received): 145

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
Outside of England and Germany most stadiums that even have roofs don't cover most fans. Most of the spectators at this World Cup are exposed. Even at Soccer City most fans are exposed. There is no requirement except for media and dignitaries. Funny thing is, the way the FIFA document is worded, it reads like anything short of a fully retractable roof with climate control while its closed is short of their ideal. In that sense, only the US could pull off their ideal because of the multitude of retractable roofs and domes.
I'm pretty sure if they really wanted to we could play an entire indoor World Cup. Indianapolis, Detroit, Atlanta, St. Louis, Houston, Dallas, New Orleans, Phoenix, Minneapolis, and San Antonio. It wouldn't be a good one, but then people couldn't whine about being exposed to the elements.
Archbishop no está en línea  
Old June 23rd, 2010, 08:44 PM   #2330
GEwinnen
Rekordvizemeister
 
GEwinnen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Buer in Westfalen
Posts: 2,143
Likes (Received): 2753

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
Outside of England and Germany most stadiums that even have roofs don't cover most fans.

No!









France will have 8 or 10 stadiums with 100% roof cover for the 2016 EURO.
Opposite to the US, In Europe no new stadium will be built without 100% roof coverage. The EURO 2012 staiums in Poland and Ukrain will have 100% roof coverage.
GEwinnen no está en línea  
Old June 23rd, 2010, 09:53 PM   #2331
antriksh_sfo
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,098
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEwinnen View Post
No!

.....
France will have 8 or 10 stadiums with 100% roof cover for the 2016 EURO.
Opposite to the US, In Europe no new stadium will be built without 100% roof coverage. The EURO 2012 staiums in Poland and Ukrain will have 100% roof coverage.
Dude,
You have posted stadia pix from across Europe (Rome Olympic, Barnebue, Saint Dennis, San Siro) to match up with the USA list.
Secondly, the Ernst Happel - hardly 55K makes to this list.

No one denies Europe having good stadia.
For the football following Europe has, these are required.
But US on the other hand with Soccer not being among top 5 sports in USA, still courtesy NFL/MLS, has gr8 stadia which live up to all the specs of FIFA.

Moreover, in Europe the Football season is post summer running through the rainy winters.
I have spent winters in UK damp/rainy, short daylight and hence the necessity of a covered floodlit stadia for the fans as it is over 2.5 Hrs of magical football under poruing rain. This is the main reason UK stadia have roofs.
Considering USA, most of the stadia are even fully indoor.

UK for 2018 is OK with USA hosting 2022 as it deserves.
U know what?
I was on the Oil field while US scored the goal and even the one's who were attached to US Open on ESPN3 online last week, were standing with bated breath.

Last edited by antriksh_sfo; June 23rd, 2010 at 10:06 PM.
antriksh_sfo no está en línea  
Old June 23rd, 2010, 10:24 PM   #2332
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
 
desertpunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: ELP ~ ABQ
Posts: 55,643
Likes (Received): 53484

Of course if FIFA would like attendances of more than 100,000:

image hosted on flickr


image hosted on flickr


image hosted on flickr


image hosted on flickr


image hosted on flickr


image hosted on flickr


image hosted on flickr


image hosted on flickr
desertpunk no está en línea  
Old June 23rd, 2010, 10:32 PM   #2333
The Game Is Up
Proud Facebook Non-Member
 
The Game Is Up's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The last refuge of freedom, my mind
Posts: 1,143
Likes (Received): 258

Does the result helps or hurts the cause? I say it helps because it showed how the team was resilient under hostile conditions and didn't give up until the bitter end. If they maintain that progress through the next eight years then they may even have a real shot at the championship.

However, that's today. There is still a ways to go before we know for sure. But this result is nothing but a help.
__________________
Promotion and Relegation for American sports!
The Game Is Up no está en línea  
Old June 23rd, 2010, 10:38 PM   #2334
krudmonk
sucks
 
krudmonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sannozay
Posts: 2,265
Likes (Received): 96

Those college fields are generally too narrow, having been constructed in the times before soccer was on anyone's mind.
krudmonk no está en línea  
Old June 23rd, 2010, 10:44 PM   #2335
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
 
desertpunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: ELP ~ ABQ
Posts: 55,643
Likes (Received): 53484

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Those college fields are generally too narrow, having been constructed in the times before soccer was on anyone's mind.
Yeah, they would need some constructive demolition to acquire soccer dimensions but a few of them like Darrell Royal Stadium in Austin would be great hosts for the WC. Too bad college soccer is still in its larval stage...
desertpunk no está en línea  
Old June 23rd, 2010, 11:41 PM   #2336
antriksh_sfo
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,098
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game Is Up View Post
Does the result helps or hurts the cause? I say it helps because it showed how the team was resilient under hostile conditions and didn't give up until the bitter end. If they maintain that progress through the next eight years then they may even have a real shot at the championship.

However, that's today. There is still a ways to go before we know for sure. But this result is nothing but a help.
+ 1.
Hopefully, USA is not deprived again they were as in Korea - Japan 2002.
Remember Korea/Brazil & Turkey had already qualified to Semis.
Germany just scraped through. A goal line handball by germans which should have been a penalty was ruled out.
This was just done to have One European Team (turkey still is not popular among Europeans) in semis.
Otherwise US would have made semis in 2002 who knows what would have been in store?
Germany was just a walking ghost of its earlier fame in 2002.

Had US entered the semis in 2002, the European slots for 2006 would have gone down.
antriksh_sfo no está en línea  
Old June 24th, 2010, 12:06 AM   #2337
GEwinnen
Rekordvizemeister
 
GEwinnen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Buer in Westfalen
Posts: 2,143
Likes (Received): 2753

[QUOTE=antriksh_sfo;59159943]
Quote:
UK for 2018 is OK with USA hosting 2022 as it deserves.
U know what?
I know, ENGLAND is almost fixed for 2018, my prediction for 2022 is a race between US and Australia.

Quote:
No one denies Europe having good stadia.
No one denies the US having good stadia (except the lack of the rooves )

Quote:
But US on the other hand with Soccer not being among top 5 sports in USA, still courtesy NFL/MLS, has gr8 stadia which live up to all the specs of FIFA.
A WC should be awarded to a non-football country only to boost the sport. Are you sure it will be better than 1994?

Quote:
You have posted stadia pix from across Europe (Rome Olympic, Barnebue, Saint Dennis, San Siro) to match up with the USA list
No, you've written, no european country except UK and Germany have stadiums with 100% roof coverage.
My prediction is in ten years time the top 100-150 football clubs in Europe will play in a stadium with 100% roof coverage, even in Spain or Italy!

Quote:
damp/rainy, short daylight and hence the necessity of a covered floodlit stadia for the fans as it is over 2.5 Hrs of magical football under poruing rain.
I know this, my favourite club played in a crappy stadium with just 18,000 (of 60,000) roof coverage 9 years ago! And the winter wheather is not really better than in England. The average attendances went up 20,000 to 30,000. In the new stadium (cap. 61,000) was no league game under 60,000!

I guess people in Green Bay for e.g. would like a european style stadium.
GEwinnen no está en línea  
Old June 24th, 2010, 12:25 AM   #2338
antriksh_sfo
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,098
Likes (Received): 2

[QUOTE=GEwinnen;59167723]
Quote:
Originally Posted by antriksh_sfo View Post


I know, ENGLAND is ..... . would like a european style stadium.
Buddy,
Well if some spec match the European requirements, that does not mean that the rest of the Federations need to follow these even if they are not necessary as per the local conditions.

Everyone would love to bask in the sunlight, sipping a cool bear watch the wonders of football.
The whole fun would be lost if all aorund the world, stadia and infrastructure are stereotypical.
So it is unfair to impenge basic European needs as spec for the rest of the Confederations.
antriksh_sfo no está en línea  
Old June 24th, 2010, 12:36 AM   #2339
Luke80
Registered User
 
Luke80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Surrey, UK
Posts: 774
Likes (Received): 4

Those college stadiums are huge, but let's see you fill them for Slovakia vs New Zealand...

How the USA deserves another world cup so soon after 1994 is beyond me but I guess that's another debate altogether.
Luke80 no está en línea  
Old June 24th, 2010, 12:58 AM   #2340
eMKay
Registered User
 
eMKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 1,585
Likes (Received): 224

28 years is soon?
__________________
BASEBALL America's pastime since 1791, Washington Nationals (Senators) est: 1901, Buffalo Bisons est: 1879
FOOTBALL Buffalo Bills est: 1960
SOCCER DC United est: 1995, Buffalo FC est: 2009
HOCKEY Buffalo Bisons/Sabres est: 1940/1970
BASKETBALL Buffalo Braves->LA Clippers est: 1970
eMKay no está en línea  


Closed Thread

Tags
los angeles, united states of america, world cup

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium