daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 24th, 2010, 11:38 PM   #2381
urbanlover
Living for the city

Likes (Received): 114

Or leafblowers

urbanlover no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 24th, 2010, 11:54 PM   #2382
GEwinnen
Rekordvizemeister

Likes (Received): 2748

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlover View Post
Or leafblowers

Have you ever heard of the biggest mollycoddles among the german football fans??
(Watch the heaters under the roof):

GEwinnen no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2010, 01:47 AM   #2383
eMKay

Likes (Received): 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEwinnen View Post

Have you ever heard of the biggest mollycoddles among the german football fans??
(Watch the heaters under the roof):

LOL! Yeah...If I were still 21 I would mock...But I'm 36 now and that looks pretty sweet
HOCKEY Buffalo Bisons/Sabres est: 1940/1970
BASKETBALL Buffalo Braves->LA Clippers est: 1970
eMKay no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2010, 02:20 AM   #2384
Anubis2051
Captian Clutch

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMKay View Post
LOL! Yeah...If I were still 21 I would mock...But I'm 36 now and that looks pretty sweet
Those are on the concourses of a lot of stadiums. Some stadiums have heaters under the field too.

Target Field:

Anubis2051 no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2010, 05:18 AM   #2385
The Game Is Up
Proud Facebook Non-Member

Likes (Received): 256

All this talk about how to play in the snow and ice is pretty laughable, considering that the most likely weather to played under in the World Cup is heat and high humidity. Then, all the talk about how the game is best viewed outside has to be taken with a grain of salt considering that these same people complain about the sun in Phoenix, Tampa and Atlanta, places where they want to host some matches.

It's really much more of a regional thing than an "American" thing. For example, outside in Buffalo in November, when it's about 30º F...Okay...you get to wear layers of clothing. So the cold air doesn't seem to affect you that much. Then, depending on the sport, you get varied reactions over whether to play depending on the weather. Like why the Twins decided that it's time to take it outside when they were previously content to play inside? Why do the Yankees insist on playing the 4th of July game at around 1PM, when temperatures are most likely in the mid to high 90s and people are miserable? Why did the Dolphins decided not to put a roof on their building when temperatures rarely dip below 85 degrees during the autumn months? Now the Marlins want a stadium that will have a roof! You never get a definite answer with these people.

It's easy to play outside in the cold when you can wear layers of clothing and padding on you. That is like me having snowfights outside because I know that as long as I can wear proper clothing for the weather then I'm not as likely to suffer frostbites. Cold rain, on the other hand, sucks the heat out of your body faster than a light snow event. The water coming down attracts heat faster than as snowflakes. That's why people act tough when it's a snow event but bitch when it's a cold rain, like during the last weeks of baseball season.

I've attended matches at the old Giants Stadium during various times in the summer months. Some days were not as hot as others but it was unsurprisingly hot. Then again, considering my heritage I'm used to hot days. Light skinned people make it more of an issue, though. That's just the plain truth.
Old June 25th, 2010, 06:11 AM   #2386
eMKay

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game Is Up View Post
All this talk about how to play in the snow and ice is pretty laughable, considering that the most likely weather to played under in the World Cup is heat and high humidity. Then, all the talk about how the game is best viewed outside has to be taken with a grain of salt considering that these same people complain about the sun in Phoenix, Tampa and Atlanta, places where they want to host some matches.
Phoenix = Dome
Tampa = HOT bring a hat
Atlanta = Dome
eMKay no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2010, 06:52 AM   #2387
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 864

Quote:
Phoenix and Atlanta both have domed stadiums. Tampa really isn't hot as Phoenix but is extremely humid. Probably moreso than Atlanta.
Old June 25th, 2010, 07:09 AM   #2388
RaiderATO

Likes (Received): 13

Atlanta has a dome because it allows for other events to take place there. NOT just the NFL games. Various other games (soccer, football, etc.), conventions, and tons of other special events. The Falcons have been talking about moving out and the GA dome folks basically called their bluff and said "OK, see ya! We've got enough going on here to make it without you."

It's not a weather thing. It's a ROI thing in Atlanta.

Minnesota was in the Metrodome because it was there. Now its outdated and the last of its kind in the MLB. Minneapolis is no colder than Boston or New York.

The domes don't mean these people think they should play inside. Its just a smarter investment for these cities.
RaiderATO no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2010, 07:36 AM   #2389
Anubis2051
Captian Clutch

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderATO View Post
Atlanta has a dome because it allows for other events to take place there. NOT just the NFL games. Various other games (soccer, football, etc.), conventions, and tons of other special events. The Falcons have been talking about moving out and the GA dome folks basically called their bluff and said "OK, see ya! We've got enough going on here to make it without you."

Minnesota was in the Metrodome because it was there. Now its outdated and the last of its kind in the MLB. Minneapolis is no colder than Boston or New York.

The domes don't mean these people think they should play inside. Its just a smarter investment for these cities.
The Twins moved to Target Field this season, and Tampa still has a non-retractable dome, and in the NFL theres still the superdome.
Anubis2051 no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2010, 08:18 AM   #2390
JYDA

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Minneapolis is no colder than Boston or New York.
Minneapolis is COLD!!!!! and I'm canadian lol
JYDA no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2010, 09:11 AM   #2391
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 113

Quote:

Whoa there. Minneapolis is freaking COLD.
Old June 25th, 2010, 10:46 AM   #2392
RaiderATO

Likes (Received): 13

Look up the averages in Minneapolis, NYC, Detroit, Chicago, and Boston. Its not much, if any colder.
RaiderATO no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2010, 11:10 AM   #2393
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 1144

This talk of winter is moot for most host cities as the world cup is always held in the summer. Only places that might matter and San Fran and Seattle where we can apparently still have rainy crappy weather on into June. Yesterday was the first day THIS YEAR that it topped 75F
Old June 25th, 2010, 11:18 AM   #2394
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Look up the averages in Minneapolis, NYC, Detroit, Chicago, and Boston. Its not much, if any colder.
I dont have to look it up to know that Minneapolis is considerably colder in the winter than those other cities.
Old June 25th, 2010, 02:31 PM   #2395
carlspannoosh

Likes (Received): 745

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMKay View Post
And USA has a shedload of stadiums the FIFA likes.
That is a given, which is why I got irritated with the Flierfy posts. If there is any debate it should be about which stadiums to choose.
carlspannoosh no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2010, 05:17 PM   #2396
eMKay

Quote:
Minneapolis is no colder than Boston or New York.
WHAAAT? Oh, yes it is.
eMKay no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2010, 07:38 PM   #2397
weava
Arch(Struct) Engineer

Likes (Received): 1962

Quote:
Now the Marlins want a stadium that will have a roof! You never get a definite answer with these people.
You can easily get an answer from us about roofs, we don't like them at all for football and we only like them for baseball in cities were rain is an issue due to baseball not being able to be played in rain.
weava no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2010, 11:15 PM   #2398
eMKay

Quote:
Originally Posted by weava View Post
You can easily get an answer from us about roofs, we don't like them at all for football and we only like them for baseball in cities were rain is an issue due to baseball not being able to be played in rain.
Roofs make sense in Baseball, especially in Florida. I want to be in the shade when I'm at an afternoon game in Buffalo when it's 85, or in Miami when it's 95.
eMKay no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2010, 12:38 AM   #2399
JYDA

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:

average lows in January

New York 26 F
Boston 22 F
Minneapolis 4 F

It's a lot colder!
JYDA no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2010, 12:43 AM   #2400
brewerfan386

Likes (Received): 158

Isn't the World Cup held in the summer (like now)??

Closed Thread

Tags
los angeles, united states of america, world cup