daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 26th, 2010, 04:20 AM   #2401
RaiderATO

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYDA View Post
average lows in January

New York 26 F
Boston 22 F
Minneapolis 4 F

It's a lot colder!
The baseball season (the start of this argument) doesn't go into January. Read things in context.

avg temp/avg low temp

October:
Minneapolis: 50/40
Detroit: 52/41
Chicago: 53/42
NYC: 55/48
Boston: 55/47

April:
Minneapolis: 46/36
Detroit: 48/37
Chicago: 49/39
NYC: 50/42
Boston: 49/40

They play baseball outdoors in all these cities. Its not considerably colder in Minneapolis.

source: http://www.weatherbase.com/

Last edited by RaiderATO; June 26th, 2010 at 04:26 AM. Reason: providing source
RaiderATO no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 26th, 2010, 04:23 AM   #2402
RaiderATO

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewerfan386 View Post

Isn't the World Cup held in the summer (like now)??
Yes, I made a one-off comment about baseball outside in Minneapolis and how its not any colder there than other northern cities and no one believed me. They decided to run off-topic even more by piling on me after I told them they were wrong. I'm guessing it stops now that I've proven they were wrong.

I don't just shoot from the hip on here, fellas. If I'm talking out of my ass, I'll let you know in the post with an "IMO" or "I think/guess/etc.".
RaiderATO no está en línea  
Old June 27th, 2010, 01:29 AM   #2403
crazyalex

Likes (Received): 19

USA 1-2 Ghana

USA lose to Ghana
crazyalex no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2010, 02:30 AM   #2404
dean93
คนไทยไม่แพ้ชาติใดในโ ลก

Likes (Received): 3

I love usa u better than uk lol
dean93 no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2010, 08:36 AM   #2405
The Game Is Up
Proud Facebook Non-Member

Likes (Received): 257

Just to close this saga, I'll leave you with one more fan reaction from the US participation in this World Cup. It's a funny one. *Caution* Foul language is used here...

Old July 4th, 2010, 11:32 AM   #2406
brewerfan386

Likes (Received): 158

Happy Birthday USA!

from the 2006 WC
Old July 8th, 2010, 01:53 AM   #2407
bd popeye

Likes (Received): 10456

Quote:
Man...That photo I found of Invesco Field reminded me how awesome it is! I think it's my second favorite NFL stadium next to U of P in Phoenix.
I was passing through Donkey-town(Denver) a few years ago I took time out to go see Invesco Field..awesome.. I live in Iowa but lived in San Diego prior to that and my team still plays in this dump known as Qualcomm Stadium.. Hopefully if the US gets a 2018 or '22 bid for the WC San Diego will have a new stadium.

As an added note..Roofs are not permitted on stadiums built in California because of earthquake building standards.

Quote:
Qualcomm Stadium San Diego CA capacity 71,000. Photo by Ken Rockwell 2005
bd popeye no está en línea  
Old July 8th, 2010, 03:21 AM   #2408
eMKay

Likes (Received): 224

Speaking of earthquakes, I hear one just happened, 5.4.
HOCKEY Buffalo Bisons/Sabres est: 1940/1970
BASKETBALL Buffalo Braves->LA Clippers est: 1970
eMKay no está en línea  
Old July 8th, 2010, 05:35 AM   #2409
dl3000

Likes (Received): 10

Yeah it shook us up pretty nicely. Closer than the big Easter one in Mexicali, much more north.
Old July 8th, 2010, 09:41 AM   #2410
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 1144

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd popeye View Post
As an added note..Roofs are not permitted on stadiums built in California because of earthquake building standards.
Nope:

(Home Depot Center, Carson, CA)

I imagine earthquake standards might make some roofs impractical in some large stadiums because of the strength requirements coupled with earthquake standards. But they are by no means not allowed.
Old July 8th, 2010, 03:00 PM   #2411
bd popeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderGrad View Post
Nope:

(Home Depot Center, Carson, CA)

I imagine earthquake standards might make some roofs impractical in some large stadiums because of the strength requirements coupled with earthquake standards. But they are by no means not allowed.
I believe the regulation has to do with the material the roof is constructed of. I'm not 100% for sure..If I find any more info I shall post it.
Old July 8th, 2010, 05:11 PM   #2412
antriksh_sfo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
I was passing through Donkey-town(Denver) a few years ago I took time out to go see Invesco Field..awesome.. I live in Iowa but lived in San Diego prior to that and my team still plays in this dump known as Qualcomm Stadium.. Hopefully if the US gets a 2018 or '22 bid for the WC San Diego will have a new stadium.

Well, SA 2010 has used a similar look and feel stadium, Ellis Park, Johannesburg for the WC and the SAns are proud of it.
This would be good enough for the FIFA 2018 WC too.
antriksh_sfo no está en línea  
Old July 8th, 2010, 06:36 PM   #2413
Matthew Lowry

Likes (Received): 4

i belive that you can win but when you do keep Los Angeles sadia alone becouse it historic
Matthew Lowry no está en línea  
Old July 9th, 2010, 04:26 AM   #2414
bd popeye

As far as roof in California are concerned I have found out that BoulderGrad is correct in that it is what the construction materials that are considered in the earthquake standards.

A roof is being considered for the proposed new Charger stadium!

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/spor...-91652329.html

Quote:
Well, SA 2010 has used a similar look and feel stadium, Ellis Park, Johannesburg for the WC and the SAns are proud of it.
This would be good enough for the FIFA 2018 WC too.
Humm..nice stadium. But the only similarities I see are the silo shaped ramps..I betcha that stadium ain't got none of these..

Quote:
SAN DIEGO, CA - NOVEMBER 1: The Charger Girls perform in Halloween costumes during the game against the Oakland Raiders on November 1, 2009 at Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego, California.
Old July 9th, 2010, 08:03 AM   #2415
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

Do some research. South Africa actually does have cheearleaders.

krudmonk no está en línea  
Old July 10th, 2010, 02:29 AM   #2416
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9720

Quote:
Tell this to the Italians, French (Côte d'Azur + Monaco), Spanish, Portuguese, Greeks, Turks etc !

As far I know, none stadium roof fell apart here despite the violent earthquakes in the Med. sea & the area !!

PS: The same in Japan....
parcdesprinces no está en línea  
Old July 10th, 2010, 02:40 AM   #2417
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9720

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEwinnen View Post
I'm jealous !!! I want those heaters at the Parc des Princes !!!!
parcdesprinces no está en línea  
Old July 10th, 2010, 03:29 AM   #2418
bd popeye

Question..are cheerleaders normal at soccer matches in SA? I mean are they their there every game/match? I know they are in some South American countries.

Quote:
Tell this to the Italians, French (Côte d'Azur + Monaco), Spanish, Portuguese, Greeks, Turks etc !
I shall!

Quote:
As far I know, none stadium roof fell apart here despite the violent earthquakes in the Med. sea & the area !!

PS: The same in Japan....
Well as I found out roofs can accompany a stadium in California but they must meet certain earthquake standards. I know the in San Diego they are studying the feasibility of having the proposed new Chargers stadium have a dome built similar to dome/roof in Asia and Europe.

Quote:
http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/spor...-91652329.html

The Chargers' plans for a new stadium now seem to be looking skyward -- at a soft, retractable roof that, whenever needed, would shelter a wide variety of events that could be staged in the facility.

"It would be very different from what people expect to see," said Chargers Special Counsel Mark Fabiani, the team's point man on stadium issues.

"No one in California expects to see a roof on a stadium because our weather is so great here," Fabiani said Tuesday. "It really turns a football stadium, which isn't used very much, into a multi-use facility -- particularly in downtown San Diego, where it's very close to the convention center."

The concept actually began a while back, when a local civil engineer suggested roofing the proposed stadium in the East Village in order to make it a year-round entertainment and convention venue. In an interview with NBCSanDiego in February, Katheryn Rhodes proposed a heavy-cover approach, which the Chargers saw as too costly.

But after further review, they're seriously looking at a much lighter approach.

"The stadium will go from sidewalk to sidewalk," Fabiani noted, "and there's not going to be a big perimeter around it."

Images of the kind of "soft'"roofing the Chargers have in mind are in use at numerous stadiums around the world, mostly in Asia and Europe. They're made of such so-called membrane materials as "polycarbonate, which are far cheaper than the $200 million structures needed to support snowfall at stadiums in real winter-weather cities.

Chargers fans can handle a little rain from time to time, but the team is talking about attracting events like college basketball's Final Four tournament, World Cup soccer, music concerts and overflow crowds from conventions such as Comic-Con.

As always, though, the key ingredient is money, and the Chargers are looking for a substantial public investment in redevelopment. For her part, Rhodes said, her cheerleading for the stadium stops at the bottom line.

"If they can't make enough money to have their $30 million a year to pay for the debt, taxpayers shouldn't pay for it," she said Tuesday.

"The people who actually use [the stadium] should pay for it," Rhodes said, "and a way to do that is to charge a surcharge on each ticket."

On April 27, officials from Centre City Development Corporation, the city's redevelopment arm, are scheduled to ask the City Council to lift CCDC's spending cap to allow for funding of major construction projects -- including a stadium -- beyond 2014.

Source: Chargers Plan: Raising a Stadium Roof | NBC San Diego
Old July 11th, 2010, 06:40 AM   #2419
The Game Is Up
Proud Facebook Non-Member

Likes (Received): 257

Quote:
Question..are cheerleaders normal at soccer matches in SA? I mean are they their there every game/match? I know they are in some South American countries.
From what I can understand, no. Then again, the pictures were from rugby matches. But I don't think that it's the same for soccer, as the clientele that goes to soccer matches is different.

Anyway, now that the current World Cup is ending, I think it's time we should focus attention on the so-called Summer of Soccer, Part 2. Particularly, the tour of Man United and the named Barclays NY Challenge, or whatever is called. What do you think would be the turnout for those types of matches this time? Would the public be a bit "soccer-ed out" after watching the World Cup for a while?
Old July 11th, 2010, 08:19 AM   #2420
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game Is Up View Post
From what I can understand, no. Then again, the pictures were from rugby matches. But I don't think that it's the same for soccer, as the clientele that goes to soccer matches is different.

Anyway, now that the current World Cup is ending, I think it's time we should focus attention on the so-called Summer of Soccer, Part 2. Particularly, the tour of Man United and the named Barclays NY Challenge, or whatever is called. What do you think would be the turnout for those types of matches this time? Would the public be a bit "soccer-ed out" after watching the World Cup for a while?
Who cares about a bunch of half-assed exhibitions? We have an actual league going.

And those pictures are from both rugby and cricket.
krudmonk no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
los angeles, united states of america, world cup