daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools
Old July 25th, 2010, 09:01 AM   #2441
ryebreadraz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,597
Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord David View Post
Technically it's not if it's not going to host either the opener or final.
But yes, it's an example of a stadium that can host Soccer and look fine.

Will there be public transport near the stadium in time for a WC? Surely you don't expect foreign fans to drive there and pay 40 odd bucks for parking!
The plan in all cities is to have buses taking fans from certain busy parts of a city to the stadium in addition to the public transportation already there...or not there.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 25th, 2010, 09:24 AM   #2442
Lord David
Registered User
 
Lord David's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,785
Likes (Received): 104

Ah, so free buses is the solution.
Lord David no está en línea  
Old July 25th, 2010, 09:32 AM   #2443
ryebreadraz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,597
Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord David View Post
Ah, so free buses is the solution.
Pretty much. They haven't said if they will be free, but if they do charge, I can't imagine it costing any more than any regular bus line in the city, which is usually $1.50-$2.50 each way. If you can get to a city center, you can get to a stadium. The only cities that won't have the buses are some of the cities that already have rail lines going to the stadium, in which case they will increase the number of trains going to the stadium and establish express lines from the city center directly to the stadium on match days. Getting to the stadium will not be a problem.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old July 25th, 2010, 04:42 PM   #2444
rantanamo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 3,507
Likes (Received): 353

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buju Banton View Post
all these grounds just don't feel like soccer grounds.
when watching the World Cup this year, I sort of felt the same, with Soccer City being the exception. But then I looked around these boards. There are very few stadiums that "feel" like soccer grounds. Lots of layouts around the world.
rantanamo no está en línea  
Old July 25th, 2010, 05:51 PM   #2445
Buju Banton
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: The Jungle
Posts: 106
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
when watching the World Cup this year, I sort of felt the same, with Soccer City being the exception. But then I looked around these boards. There are very few stadiums that "feel" like soccer grounds. Lots of layouts around the world.
You must be crazy. The 2010 world cup stadium were the best stadium ever used at a world cup. They were unique had culture, beauty and creativity. From a calabash, a baobab, a animal, to an arch and a beautiful setting the 2010 world cup stadiums had them all. They all meant something other then a stadium. Unlike the american stadiums, which are giant clunks and have no meaning.
Buju Banton no está en línea  
Old July 25th, 2010, 06:14 PM   #2446
Buffalo
Registered User
 
Buffalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 88
Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buju Banton View Post
You must be crazy. The 2010 world cup stadium were the best stadium ever used at a world cup. They were unique had culture, beauty and creativity. From a calabash, a baobab, a animal, to an arch and a beautiful setting the 2010 world cup stadiums had them all. They all meant something other then a stadium. Unlike the american stadiums, which are giant clunks and have no meaning.
No meaning to you, most have plenty of meaning and character that you obviously don't see or understand.
__________________
Go Bills! Circle the wagons!
Let's go Sabres!
Buffalo no está en línea  
Old July 25th, 2010, 06:33 PM   #2447
KingmanIII
Registered User
 
KingmanIII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Killa City, Misery
Posts: 2,627
Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buju Banton View Post
You must be crazy. The 2010 world cup stadium were the best stadium ever used at a world cup. They were unique had culture, beauty and creativity. From a calabash, a baobab, a animal, to an arch and a beautiful setting the 2010 world cup stadiums had them all. They all meant something other then a stadium. Unlike the american stadiums, which are giant clunks and have no meaning.
It's obvious you're trying to start another shitfight.

Can it, troll.
KingmanIII no está en línea  
Old July 25th, 2010, 09:23 PM   #2448
đđeůx
Still Comin' Out Strong
 
đđeůx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 15,689
Likes (Received): 1955

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
Pretty much. They haven't said if they will be free, but if they do charge, I can't imagine it costing any more than any regular bus line in the city, which is usually $1.50-$2.50 each way. If you can get to a city center, you can get to a stadium. The only cities that won't have the buses are some of the cities that already have rail lines going to the stadium, in which case they will increase the number of trains going to the stadium and establish express lines from the city center directly to the stadium on match days. Getting to the stadium will not be a problem.
Do we even know what cities would be hosting venues if US got the bid? I was thinking it would be on the west coast, possibly in California and the furthest being northwest area. The high-speed rail network should be completed come 2022, or near completion come 2018 if that is when we get it.
It would be a great idea to have the venues in California. The huge amount of foreign visitors would be a huge boost for the rail networks, and unlike the '94 world cup the venues wouldn't be cross-country from one another.
__________________
ddeůx *
đđeůx no está en línea  
Old July 25th, 2010, 10:01 PM   #2449
RaiderATO
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: ATL
Posts: 385
Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by đđeůx View Post
Do we even know what cities would be hosting venues if US got the bid? I was thinking it would be on the west coast, possibly in California and the furthest being northwest area. The high-speed rail network should be completed come 2022, or near completion come 2018 if that is when we get it.
It would be a great idea to have the venues in California. The huge amount of foreign visitors would be a huge boost for the rail networks, and unlike the '94 world cup the venues wouldn't be cross-country from one another.
http://www.gousabid.com/city

Cities in all four corners of the US and everywhere in-between. This is the USA bid, not the west-coast bid.

Airfare is cheap, Amtrak is an option (often not as cheap as flying, though), companies would organize buses catering to specific countries and their fans, travel agencies would be able to get package deals including lodging, travel, etc. all together for the group stages. Who knows how FIFA will split the group stages, maybe they'd keep an entire group within a certain section of the country.

Basically, it won't be an issue.
RaiderATO no está en línea  
Old July 25th, 2010, 10:49 PM   #2450
KingmanIII
Registered User
 
KingmanIII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Killa City, Misery
Posts: 2,627
Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by đđeůx View Post
Do we even know what cities would be hosting venues if US got the bid? I was thinking it would be on the west coast, possibly in California and the furthest being northwest area. The high-speed rail network should be completed come 2022, or near completion come 2018 if that is when we get it.
It would be a great idea to have the venues in California. The huge amount of foreign visitors would be a huge boost for the rail networks, and unlike the '94 world cup the venues wouldn't be cross-country from one another.


if you really thought they'd restrict the WC to West Coast cities and leave NYC/Miami/Dallas/etc. out of the bid
KingmanIII no está en línea  
Old July 25th, 2010, 11:50 PM   #2451
Archbishop
Registered User
 
Archbishop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 642
Likes (Received): 145

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingmanIII View Post


if you really thought they'd restrict the WC to West Coast cities and leave NYC/Miami/Dallas/etc. out of the bid
That picture only makes me feel better about Indianapolis' chance of hosting. Only city in the Great Lakes region.
Archbishop no está en línea  
Old July 26th, 2010, 12:14 AM   #2452
Buffalo
Registered User
 
Buffalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 88
Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingmanIII View Post


if you really thought they'd restrict the WC to West Coast cities and leave NYC/Miami/Dallas/etc. out of the bid
I'm surprised that Chicago or Minneapolis isn't represented. Is there a reason they are not included. I would take out Baltimore and Tampa Bay, mostly to give each region of the nation some representation.
__________________
Go Bills! Circle the wagons!
Let's go Sabres!
Buffalo no está en línea  
Old July 26th, 2010, 12:52 AM   #2453
Luke80
Registered User
 
Luke80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Surrey, UK
Posts: 774
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingmanIII View Post
got my tickets yesterday (just barely) for the Wizards/Utd game -- nothing but isolated singles left
My favourite US stadium (well maybe after the Big House). Looks epic after the renovations. Could you get pics please?
Luke80 no está en línea  
Old July 26th, 2010, 01:08 AM   #2454
Anubis2051
Captian Clutch
 
Anubis2051's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Princeton
Posts: 372
Likes (Received): 67

Why is soldier field being left off the bid list?

And is there any chance that college stadiums host any of the games? They have some of the largest capacities, and I think they could make for some very interesting venues:





Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke80 View Post
My favourite US stadium (well maybe after the Big House). Looks epic after the renovations. Could you get pics please?
It's one of my favorite NFL stadiums as well (I much prefer MLB stadiums due to the uniqueness of each), and it has a lot of character that a lot of NFL stadiums seam to lack. The whole complex in KC looks incredible with the renovations. Glad Kaufman got the All-Star game in 2012, they deserve it.
Anubis2051 no está en línea  
Old July 26th, 2010, 01:24 AM   #2455
endrity
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,446
Likes (Received): 700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis2051 View Post
Why is soldier field being left off the bid list?

And is there any chance that college stadiums host any of the games? They have some of the largest capacities, and I think they could make for some very interesting venues:







It's one of my favorite NFL stadiums as well (I much prefer MLB stadiums due to the uniqueness of each), and it has a lot of character that a lot of NFL stadiums seam to lack. The whole complex in KC looks incredible with the renovations. Glad Kaufman got the All-Star game in 2012, they deserve it.
No chance!

One of the main reasons those college stadiums have those large attendances is because they are not all-seaters. In fact, very few have seats. And Fifa and Uefa regulations now require all seaters in all international competitions, unlike in 1994 and the Rose Bowl.

So once you reduce the attendance numbers, there is little to no advantage these college stadiums have. They are not as modern, no box seats and such, usually are located in smaller towns, away from the much larger centers of population. There is really no reason to go for college stadiums once you take that in consideration.
endrity no está en línea  
Old July 26th, 2010, 03:57 AM   #2456
Archbishop
Registered User
 
Archbishop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 642
Likes (Received): 145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo View Post
I'm surprised that Chicago or Minneapolis isn't represented. Is there a reason they are not included. I would take out Baltimore and Tampa Bay, mostly to give each region of the nation some representation.
Minneapolis has to do with the stadium. I believe Chicago didn't want to bid or pay some fee to bid for some reason.
Archbishop no está en línea  
Old July 26th, 2010, 04:09 AM   #2457
ryebreadraz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,597
Likes (Received): 17

Yeah, Chicago wasn't willing to pay the $50,000 that every bidding city has to pay for a small guarantee. Chicago politics at their finest. Hopefully we can win the bid and Chicago gets their heads together and hosts. The one thing that keeps them from being a "must" host though is the small capacity of Soldier Field at just 61,500. That said, I still hope they can host matches, if the US does get to host.

As for the high speed rail, it's a failed plan and one that will serve no purpose whatsoever. The whole thing still doesn't have a business plan. It's claiming that it will reach speeds reached on only one rail line in China and with questionable safety. It has no price, but all experts have said that to come close to breaking even, the prices will be above that of a plane ticket. So, why would anyone take the rail line when they can go on a plane for less money and for 35% of the travel time?

I understand why rail is so popular in Europe and other parts of the world. I've used it when visiting and loved it, but the air travel in the US makes it unnecessary in most parts of the country. Only subway-like rail makes sense, IMO.

I would be shocked if the country wasn't split up into pods. Likely, it will be four pods of three cities each so two groups would be assigned to each pod. This would keep anyone from traveling cross-country during group play. For example, the West pod would be made up of Seattle, Los Angeles, San Diego (Phoenix also an option). A Northeast pod could be New York, Washington DC and Boston. If you're in those pods, you're not playing outside those three cities in the group stage, which minimizes travel, and they could reward group winners by keeping them in their pods for the Round of 16 as well.

Last edited by ryebreadraz; July 26th, 2010 at 04:15 AM.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old July 26th, 2010, 05:04 AM   #2458
en1044
Unregistered User
 
en1044's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,405
Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buju Banton View Post
You must be crazy. The 2010 world cup stadium were the best stadium ever used at a world cup. They were unique had culture, beauty and creativity. From a calabash, a baobab, a animal, to an arch and a beautiful setting the 2010 world cup stadiums had them all. They all meant something other then a stadium. Unlike the american stadiums, which are giant clunks and have no meaning.
I know you're a troll, but what the hell. I'll bite.

Please explain your statement about how American stadiums are "giant clunks and have no meaning."




Hint: You wont win this argument.
__________________
WASHINGTON REDSKINS
en1044 no está en línea  
Old July 26th, 2010, 05:13 AM   #2459
TampaMike
Oh Hey!
 
TampaMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Tampa
Posts: 7,037
Likes (Received): 952

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo View Post
I'm surprised that Chicago or Minneapolis isn't represented. Is there a reason they are not included. I would take out Baltimore and Tampa Bay, mostly to give each region of the nation some representation.
Tampa will have High Speed Rail to connect to Orlando and light rail to connect Downtown Tampa to Tampa International Airport by the 2022 World Cup. FIFA doesn't care about an even amount of cities in a region hosting a match, they want to have cities that would make the best sense hosting a World Cup match.
__________________
Corporations Are People Too - Mitt Romney
For the People that dress up like Corporations.
TampaMike no está en línea  
Old July 26th, 2010, 05:19 AM   #2460
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body
 
nomarandlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: 1060 W. Addison, City by the Lake
Posts: 7,209
Likes (Received): 2761

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
Yeah, Chicago wasn't willing to pay the $50,000 that every bidding city has to pay for a small guarantee. Chicago politics at their finest. Hopefully we can win the bid and Chicago gets their heads together and hosts. The one thing that keeps them from being a "must" host though is the small capacity of Soldier Field at just 61,500. That said, I still hope they can host matches, if the US does get to host.
.
I would have to look back but I think it was a ten million dollar commitment IF the U.S. was selected for each city. I think after the whole 2016 experience that was hesitation to throwing money at international events even though the big payment only would come if the US was selected (and hence be worth the payment).

I do hope that Chicago gets a chance to revisit the issue and San Fran gets a new stadium because it would be a shame to not have either of those two major metros host from a fan perspective and the U.S. as a whole.
__________________
Stephane Charbonnier, I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.
nomarandlee no está en línea  


Closed Thread

Tags
los angeles, united states of america, world cup

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu