daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old July 27th, 2010, 10:44 PM   #2481
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3200

If nothing new happens in the capital when it's time to make the final decision then it stands to reason the higher calibre of venues in Philly and Boston become more appealing options. At the least Gillette and these others need to be considered and, let's face it, the faults with Boston are hardly unique or too daunting to overcome. The distance from downtown will simply be spun as having plenty of tailgate access for World Cup fans!

Sponsored Links
Old July 27th, 2010, 11:20 PM   #2482
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
If nothing new happens in the capital when it's time to make the final decision then it stands to reason the higher calibre of venues in Philly and Boston become more appealing options. At the least Gillette and these others need to be considered and, let's face it, the faults with Boston are hardly unique or too daunting to overcome. The distance from downtown will simply be spun as having plenty of tailgate access for World Cup fans!
DC is pretty close to a lock in my book, not matter what Boston and Philly offer. With it being the capital and 90,000+ seats, either at FedEx or a new stadium, I don't see any chance that DC ends up not hosting.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old July 28th, 2010, 01:50 AM   #2483
weava
Arch(Struct) Engineer

Likes (Received): 1962

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaJones View Post
If FIFA decides to skip Phoenix because of the immigration law, San Diego could replace Phoenix as venue. Two venues in California and two venues in Texas.
you can then count out most of the country as most states will adopt similar laws if Obama doesn't get the law overturned. I expect Texas, Missouri, and Florida to be world cup states that adopt similar laws.
weava no está en línea  
Old July 28th, 2010, 04:19 AM   #2484
mattec

Likes (Received): 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by weava View Post
you can then count out most of the country as most states will adopt similar laws if Obama doesn't get the law overturned. I expect Texas, Missouri, and Florida to be world cup states that adopt similar laws.
I can see texas doing something like the AZ law sooner rather than later. but this is getting OT
mattec no está en línea  
Old July 28th, 2010, 05:44 AM   #2485
Hia-leah JDM

Likes (Received): 11304

Does this list of cities on the official website really mean anything? What are the rankings for?

http://www.gousabid.com/blog/entry/t...-july-13-2010/
Hia-leah JDM no está en línea  
Old July 28th, 2010, 06:20 AM   #2486
Archbishop

Likes (Received): 145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hia-leah JDM View Post
Does this list of cities on the official website really mean anything? What are the rankings for?

http://www.gousabid.com/blog/entry/t...-july-13-2010/
Number of signatures for the GoUSABid thing from each city. It is just for fun, but I do not see the bottom 4 cities getting it anyways.
Archbishop no está en línea  
Old July 28th, 2010, 06:33 AM   #2487
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 113

I'm very surprised that DC is as far down the list as they are. People love soccer around here.
Old July 28th, 2010, 07:17 AM   #2488
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 353

Phoenix is not going to be skipped.
rantanamo no está en línea  
Old July 28th, 2010, 08:39 AM   #2489
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
Phoenix is not going to be skipped.
I think it might, but not because of the immigration law. If San Francisco gets their stadium situation sorted out, I think that they would hop in and host on the West Coast along with LA and Seattle.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old July 28th, 2010, 10:08 AM   #2490
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 1144

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
I think it might, but not because of the immigration law. If San Francisco gets their stadium situation sorted out, I think that they would hop in and host on the West Coast along with LA and Seattle.
Even though it may be a little older at that point, I think they'd be foolish to leave a top flight facility like U of Phoenix stadium in a large metropolitan market like Phoenix off of the stadium list.
Old July 28th, 2010, 12:10 PM   #2491
derzberb
operierender Titan

Likes (Received): 3293

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingmanIII View Post

if you really thought they'd restrict the WC to West Coast cities and leave NYC/Miami/Dallas/etc. out of the bid
Why isn't Chicago one of the host cities? How could this be?
derzberb no está en línea  
Old July 28th, 2010, 03:21 PM   #2492
eMKay

Likes (Received): 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by derzberb View Post
They didn't cough up the dough
HOCKEY Buffalo Bisons/Sabres est: 1940/1970
BASKETBALL Buffalo Braves->LA Clippers est: 1970
eMKay no está en línea  
Old July 28th, 2010, 04:13 PM   #2493
The Dead End Kid
x

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Because we're cheap. That's why.
The Dead End Kid no está en línea  
Old July 28th, 2010, 11:57 PM   #2494
massp88

Likes (Received): 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1044 View Post
I just cant see Boston having a chance in this thing. Gillette is too far away from Boston. Yeah you could set up transportation, but the whole situation looks like its set up to fail when there are going to be so many people staying in hotels that are 40 minutes away. Could it work? Sure. But its far from ideal.
Foxboro hosted in 1994 and every match had at least 53,000 people at it. I would bet that every match at Gillette would either be sold out, or have at least 62-64,000 at every match. The region is home to large populations of people either from other countries or are first generation. As mentioned Bob Kraft is very influential, Boston is a major city and one of the finest in the U.S. and I would be willing to bet special accommodations would be made by the MBTA in time for 2022 to make transport to the stadium a breeze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dead End Kid View Post
Because we're cheap. That's why.
I think it would be a joke if a city like Indianapolis were chosen and a city like Chicago, easily one of the best in all of America, did not get to host.
massp88 no está en línea  
Old July 29th, 2010, 12:00 AM   #2495
Archbishop

It would suck if Chicago doesn't host since you're right that it's the best city in the country, but Indianapolis will do a great job with it. If there's any city that can host a big sporting event, it's Indy.
Old July 29th, 2010, 12:01 AM   #2496
Lord David

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Either revenge for Chicago being bowed out first during the 2016 Olympics vote, or the fact that Soldier Field isn't up to scratch. Could be both.

At any rate, the city could host one of the draws, but Las Vegas is just too good to pass for such events.
Lord David no está en línea  
Old July 29th, 2010, 12:03 AM   #2497
derzberb
operierender Titan

Likes (Received): 3293

Indianapolis has no soccer team in first Division, i think. Nashville also.

Chicago is one of the most known Cities in the world from the US. You think of US-cities you start with New York, LA and then Chicago. Can't imagine such an event there without Chicago. As if the world cup were in Italy, but Milano or Torino or Naples wouldn't host or in Germany without Munich or Hamburg and so on ...
derzberb no está en línea  
Old July 29th, 2010, 12:04 AM   #2498
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Soldier Field not up to scratch? New Soldier has hosted many international soccer games before.

Where do you get Las Vegas from? They are not going to be playing games in Las Vegas in the middle of the summer unless it is under a roof. Right now there is no enclsed stadium for them to play in Las Vegas.
Old July 29th, 2010, 12:06 AM   #2499
Archbishop

Quote:
Indianapolis has no soccer team in first Division, i think. Nashville also.

Chicago is one of the most known Cities in the US. Can't imagine such an event there without Chicago. As if the world cup were in Italy, but Milano or Torino or Naples wouldn't host or in Germany without Munich or Hamburg and so on ...
It sucks that there is no Chicago. I love it, but having an MLS team isn't a pre-requisite since so much of that is based off of an ownership group in the city. This is just an event, and Indianapolis is perfect for hosting big sporting events. Between now and 2015, Indianapolis will have hosted a Super Bowl, 2 Men's Final Fours, 2 Women's Final Fours, 5 Big Ten basketball championships for both men and women, the 2nd biggest NASCAR race every year and the biggest American open wheel race 5 times with potential for a Big Ten Football championship game. Indianapolis will do a great job, but an unbiased me would prefer it in Chicago. Beautiful city.
Old July 29th, 2010, 12:09 AM   #2500
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10286

I dont like the cities on there either. My pick would be
1) The 5Million+ metros first:
Atlanta
Boston
Chicago
Dallas
Detroit
Houston
Los Angeles
Miami
New York
Philadelphia
San Francisco
and Washington

2)then some more regional cities
Denver
Minneapolis
New Orleans
Phoenix
Seattle
and presto 17 cities!!!
To show a little kitschy Americana to the foreign visitors, Las Vegas might be fun to add.

As for the Arizona law, i have high certainty that one one will even be thinking about that in 2022. Political jargon before the midterms is what it is.

Last edited by Manitopiaaa; July 29th, 2010 at 12:26 AM.
Manitopiaaa no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
los angeles, united states of america, world cup