daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old September 14th, 2010, 12:45 AM   #2601
Gondolier

Likes (Received): 0

It looks like the 49ers Stadium in Santa Clara should be upand running by 2014. In soccer configuration, that one can supposedly seat 67,500. So Chicago and the Bay Area should definitely be included in the final mix...hopefully.
Gondolier no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old September 14th, 2010, 01:06 AM   #2602
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 843

I don't think Atlanta should even be building a new white elephant stadium in the US is chosen to host the FIFA World Cup. That proposal has been moot for, like, several months.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea  
Old September 14th, 2010, 01:16 AM   #2603
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gondolier View Post
It looks like the 49ers Stadium in Santa Clara should be upand running by 2014. In soccer configuration, that one can supposedly seat 67,500. So Chicago and the Bay Area should definitely be included in the final mix...hopefully.
I heard it will hold 69,000 for soccer, but whether you or I are right, it will definitely be in the mix to host if it gets built. If they get a stadium done, San Diego does and LA does, then it becomes a real West Coast crunch. I highly doubt more than three West Coast sites host so which three do you pick of LA, San Francisco, San Diego, Seattle and Phoenix, all with modern and very nice stadia? It would be interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post
I don't think Atlanta should even be building a new white elephant stadium in the US is chosen to host the FIFA World Cup. That proposal has been moot for, like, several months.
The talk about Atlanta building a new stadium is not for the World Cup. It would be a candidate to host matches if the US hosts, but if it's built, it will be for the Falcons so it definitely won't be a white elephant.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old September 14th, 2010, 02:40 AM   #2604
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

From those: Seattle, LA and Phoenix.
krudmonk no está en línea  
Old September 14th, 2010, 02:55 AM   #2605
ryebreadraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
From those: Seattle, LA and Phoenix.
Assuming all five have modern stadiums, LA is the only one that I think has to be in there. The other four would all do a fantastic job as well and it would be hard to pick two of the four, but I would probably go Seattle and San Francisco. I wouldn't have a problem with any two of the four though.
Old September 14th, 2010, 03:24 AM   #2606
krudmonk
sucks

There are no plans to build anywhere near San Francisco, though. The 49ers duped Santa Clarans into building a bare-bones piece of shit that's not really going to impress anybody enough to squeeze it onto the list. Qwest and UofPhoenix would still win out 12 years from now.
Old September 14th, 2010, 04:08 AM   #2607
ryebreadraz

Quote:
There are no plans to build anywhere near San Francisco, though. The 49ers duped Santa Clarans into building a bare-bones piece of shit that's not really going to impress anybody enough to squeeze it onto the list. Qwest and UofPhoenix would still win out 12 years from now.
It's down in Santa Clara, but it will do. It's a relatively easy ride on the Cal Train down to Santa Clara from San Francisco and I just think that San Francisco is too accessible from Asia for them or Santa Clara not to host if they have a stadium. With all the flights going into SFO, it makes too much sense to host some matches there. That said, I'd be plenty happy with Qwest and UofPhoenix too. I haven't been to Qwest yet, but it looks great and Seattle loves their soccer, while my trip to UofPhoenix for soccer was fantastic so I like them both.
Old September 14th, 2010, 04:11 AM   #2608
pathfinder_2010

Likes (Received): 5

the USA have too many venues and too many world class stadiums. They dont have to do much work in terms of building a world cup infrastructure
Many countries would love to be in USA's position.......
pathfinder_2010 no está en línea  
Old September 14th, 2010, 04:23 AM   #2609
krudmonk
sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
It's down in Santa Clara, but it will do. It's a relatively easy ride on the Cal Train down to Santa Clara from San Francisco and I just think that San Francisco is too accessible from Asia for them or Santa Clara not to host if they have a stadium. With all the flights going into SFO, it makes too much sense to host some matches there. That said, I'd be plenty happy with Qwest and UofPhoenix too. I haven't been to Qwest yet, but it looks great and Seattle loves their soccer, while my trip to UofPhoenix for soccer was fantastic so I like them both.
Have you ever ridden Caltrain? It's slow and faces frequent delays (breakdowns, collisions, suicides, etc). I met a couple friends at the Santa Clara station for a Quakes game last month and their trip took over an hour. Hell, it took 20 minutes just from the Mountain View station.

Also, it terminates at 4th and King in San Francisco, which is not really at or near prime tourist area. There'd be a couple miles of walking just from Market Street, let alone places north of that. At the other end, the tracks go nowhere near the proposed Santa Clara Stadium. In all, it could be a Muni ride plus an hour of Caltrain plus a VTA ride just to get there.

I wasn't old enough in '94 to study the dynamics/logistics of holding the event at Stanford (billed "San Francisco" for visitors) but I can't see this being better at all.
Old September 14th, 2010, 04:33 AM   #2610
ryebreadraz

I've taken the Cal Train several times for Quakes matches and it's been no more than an hour and rather easy for me. I haven't had a single problem.
Old September 14th, 2010, 05:09 AM   #2611
krudmonk
sucks

Where did you stay in San Francisco? The Santa Clara station is across the street from Buck Shaw, so that cuts off time from that end.
Old September 14th, 2010, 05:13 AM   #2612
ryebreadraz

Quote:
Where did you stay in San Francisco? The Santa Clara station is across the street from Buck Shaw, so that cuts off time from that end.
I'm going to school at USF so I've made the trip a few times since starting school up here. I don't know where in Santa Clara the 49ers proposed stadium is so that would effect the time on that end, but for Buck Shaw, it's been pretty easy for me.
Old September 14th, 2010, 06:37 AM   #2613
Jim856796

Quote:
Atlanta building a new stadium is not for the World Cup. It would be a candidate to host matches if the US hosts, but if it's built, it will be for the Falcons so it definitely won't be a white elephant.
Um, yes, it will. I don't care if its a candidate for WC matches, why should the Falcons get a new stadium if the Georgia Dome is already good enough, haven't we gotten off this issue already? For a WC in the USA, either use the Georgia Dome, or no matches for the Atlanta area.

Old September 14th, 2010, 07:36 AM   #2614
mattec

Likes (Received): 112

Quote:
Um, yes, it will. I don't care if its a candidate for WC matches, why should the Falcons get a new stadium if the Georgia Dome is already good enough, haven't we gotten off this issue already? For a WC in the USA, either use the Georgia Dome, or no matches for the Atlanta area.
if the falcons want a new stadium, and the atlanta area tax payers are willing to pay for it, then why not build a new stadium. 10-12 years is a long time anyway, so anything could happen.
mattec no está en línea  
Old September 14th, 2010, 10:30 AM   #2615
slipperydog

Likes (Received): 2401

Quote:
the Georgia Dome is already good enough
Arthur Blank does not agree
slipperydog no está en línea  
Old September 14th, 2010, 04:40 PM   #2616
eMKay

Likes (Received): 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
Arthur Blank does not agree
The taxpayers do, and they are the ones that make the decision. Georgia Dome is perfectly fine, one of my favorites.
HOCKEY Buffalo Bisons/Sabres est: 1940/1970
BASKETBALL Buffalo Braves->LA Clippers est: 1970
eMKay no está en línea  
Old September 14th, 2010, 05:59 PM   #2617
Gondolier

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
I'm going to school at USF so I've made the trip a few times since starting school up here. I don't know where in Santa Clara the 49ers proposed stadium is so that would effect the time on that end, but for Buck Shaw, it's been pretty easy for me.
The 49ers stadium site is in the parking lot of GreatAmerica. It was chosen because it was at a confluence of 2 or 3 freeways, the ample land PLUS they will be building at least one major hotel beside it to lodge visiting teams and VIPs.

Further, not only is SFO a major gateway from Asia, San Jose Int'l is gearing up as the 2nd major Bay Area airport since San Jose is actually the 3rd largest city in California now after LA and San Diego. I really don't see how they can bypass the Bay Area (including Silicon Valley) because as of today, that is an 8.5 million market.

Also, apparently San Jose-Silicon Valley is seeking to host a World's Fair for 2020. So, how that can happen and then not have a venue for, say, 2022, really defies all common sense and logic.
Gondolier no está en línea  
Old September 15th, 2010, 02:56 AM   #2618
Jim856796

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattec View Post
if the falcons want a new stadium, and the atlanta area tax payers are willing to pay for it, then why not build a new stadium. 10-12 years is a long time anyway, so anything could happen.
A new stadium is built in that area, it will mean death for the Georgia Dome and the latter cannot happen.

Old September 15th, 2010, 03:25 AM   #2619
RaiderATO

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
A new stadium is built in that area, it will mean death for the Georgia Dome and the latter cannot happen.
The Georgia Dome is run by the Georgia World Congress Center and hosts 100+ events a year. While the Falcons are their most famous tenant, and are one of the biggest draws, they would actually survive without the 8 Falcons games.
RaiderATO no está en línea  
Old September 15th, 2010, 03:36 AM   #2620
Kenni
What?

Quote:
I heard it will hold 69,000 for soccer, but whether you or I are right, it will definitely be in the mix to host if it gets built. If they get a stadium done, San Diego does and LA does, then it becomes a real West Coast crunch. I highly doubt more than three West Coast sites host so which three do you pick of LA, San Francisco, San Diego, Seattle and Phoenix, all with modern and very nice stadia? It would be interesting.

The talk about Atlanta building a new stadium is not for the World Cup. It would be a candidate to host matches if the US hosts, but if it's built, it will be for the Falcons so it definitely won't be a white elephant.
LA is an almost "must" when it comes to a WC. It would be unheard of if the City is omitted. Partly because of its excellent history in holding world events very successfully (2 Summer Olympics, First and many more Super Bowls, 94 World Cup final etc.)

AEG, developer of the Staples Center, LA Live, the Ritz Carlton and JW Marriot, and owner or part owner of the LA Galaxy among other things; is VERY interested in the World Cup. That means scratching the "other" plan for a stad in City of Industry and building a "masterpiece" in Downtown.......we'll see what happens.
Kenni no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
los angeles, united states of america, world cup