daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old September 15th, 2010, 05:08 AM   #2621
Trelawny
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Any City with a MLS team or a city with a lot of Mexicans or central americans would do good. Don't give it to Atlanta because all those African Americans care about is basketball and American Football.
Trelawny no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old September 15th, 2010, 05:22 AM   #2622
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 1103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trelawny View Post
Any City with a MLS team or a city with a lot of Mexicans or central americans would do good. Don't give it to Atlanta because all those African Americans care about is basketball and American Football.
I hope you're just making a bad joke. Otherwise do you really think that the Georgia locals won't recognise the magnitude of Atlanta being a host city for a FIFA WC?
Like they aren't going to attend based soley because during every other year they're not hosting a WC they has a preference for Baseball and American Football.
Walbanger no está en línea  
Old September 15th, 2010, 06:14 AM   #2623
slipperydog

Likes (Received): 2401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walbanger View Post
I hope you're just making a bad joke. Otherwise do you really think that the Georgia locals won't recognise the magnitude of Atlanta being a host city for a FIFA WC?
Like they aren't going to attend based soley because during every other year they're not hosting a WC they has a preference for Baseball and American Football.
No Hispanics in Atlanta? Guessing that poster has never been there.
slipperydog no está en línea  
Old September 15th, 2010, 06:26 AM   #2624
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gondolier View Post
Also, apparently San Jose-Silicon Valley is seeking to host a World's Fair for 2020. So, how that can happen and then not have a venue for, say, 2022, really defies all common sense and logic.
I'm not even sure how they're related...

World Fair's have lost their luster a long time ago...
hngcm no está en línea  
Old September 15th, 2010, 06:28 AM   #2625
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenni View Post
LA is an almost "must" when it comes to a WC. It would be unheard of if the City is omitted. Partly because of its excellent history in holding world events very successfully (2 Summer Olympics, First and many more Super Bowls, 94 World Cup final etc.)

AEG, developer of the Staples Center, LA Live, the Ritz Carlton and JW Marriot, and owner or part owner of the LA Galaxy among other things; is VERY interested in the World Cup. That means scratching the "other" plan for a stad in City of Industry and building a "masterpiece" in Downtown.......we'll see what happens.
I agree that LA is an absolute must, but AEG can go out of business for all I care. One way or another, you guys will have a grand, new venue to show off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hngcm View Post
I'm not even sure how they're related...

And it looks like they want the whole thing at Moffett Field in Mountain View. I doubt it will have much bearing on the region as a whole, like in decades past.
krudmonk no está en línea  
Old September 15th, 2010, 06:43 AM   #2626
Kenni
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
I agree that LA is an absolute must, but AEG can go out of business for all I care. One way or another, you guys will have a grand, new venue to show off.
I guess I'm being biased here. I prefer the Downtown proposal rather than the City of Industry one. It's too far away. That is if they were planning on using it for the WC.

AEG gets things done. No bull. Build it next to Staples Center, build it up by Dodger Stadium, by the tracks next to the LA River; but not in City of Industry.

My first choice was a remodeled Memorial Coliseum, I love that grand old lady. But the Commission in charge of it are a bunch of stubborn air heads (I hope they're reading).

Hmm. For the West I like LA (of course), Seattle, and Phoenix. The final played in LA. (or opener)
Kenni no está en línea  
Old September 15th, 2010, 08:43 AM   #2627
mattec

Likes (Received): 112

I know I'm in the minority, but I think it'd be neat if the final was played in Dallas, in the middle of the country. Cowboys Stadium maybe the nicest stadium on Earth...
mattec no está en línea  
Old September 15th, 2010, 09:23 AM   #2628
slipperydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattec View Post
I know I'm in the minority, but I think it'd be neat if the final was played in Dallas, in the middle of the country. Cowboys Stadium maybe the nicest stadium on Earth...
While I agree it's a great venue, the opening game is the match best suited for the most eye-popping and visually impressive stadium. That's the match in which you want to impress to open your tournament to the world. I've always felt that for the final, it's the actual city, not the fanciness of the stadium that takes on the most significance. So I would say definitely not LA, even with a new stadium, since they hosted the final last time. I think the final would be best in New York or Washington, DC. Probably Washington, especially if they build a state-of-the-art stadium at the site of RFK.
Old September 15th, 2010, 09:25 AM   #2629
Gondolier

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by hngcm View Post

Oh really? Then how come they still have them every other year? How come they're meeting their projection of 70 million visitors to the Shanghai 2010 Expo?
Gondolier no está en línea  
Old September 15th, 2010, 09:29 AM   #2630
Gondolier

Quote:
It's NEVER going to be played in Dallas--what City #6? The finals are reserved for the most populous or most prestigous cities:

1998 - Paris
2002 - Yokohoma, an ex-burb of greater Tokyo
2006 - Berlin
2010 - Johannesburg
2014 - Rio

My guess is if the US gets 2018 or 2022, it will be a reverse of 1994. Opener in LA; finals in New York.
Old September 15th, 2010, 09:41 AM   #2631
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
The bid book has Dallas hosting the opening match. While that could certainly change between now and December 2 and if we get to host, between December 3 and 2022, I think a stadium so stunning would make for a fine opening match host. The final, not so much.

Quote:
LA is an almost "must" when it comes to a WC. It would be unheard of if the City is omitted. Partly because of its excellent history in holding world events very successfully (2 Summer Olympics, First and many more Super Bowls, 94 World Cup final etc.)

AEG, developer of the Staples Center, LA Live, the Ritz Carlton and JW Marriot, and owner or part owner of the LA Galaxy among other things; is VERY interested in the World Cup. That means scratching the "other" plan for a stad in City of Industry and building a "masterpiece" in Downtown.......we'll see what happens.
If AEG gets their downtown stadium, I'd make them heavy favorites to host the final. In a major city, with a large retractable roof stadium and most importantly, owned by AEG with all their power in US soccer. I could see a stadium with so many pluses and AEG's crown jewel, pushed by them, being passed over for the final.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old September 15th, 2010, 03:28 PM   #2632
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Quote:
I would put it 4th as a contender for that game along with NYC, DC, and L.A. I would put NYC and D.C. as the clear front running two though.

The stadium is likely the best that could host but north Texas in the summer can be brutally hot which could very well warrant the roof to be closed. As fine as it would be for early round games would one really want the final to be played under a roof? Also Texas, rightly or wrongly, has the stigma of not being a relative soccer hotbed in the U.S.
Old September 15th, 2010, 08:37 PM   #2633
Kenni
What?

Location, location, location. Don't forget about LA's mediterranean weather which is picture perfect for any large world event day or night.
Kenni no está en línea  
Old September 15th, 2010, 10:16 PM   #2634
slipperydog

Quote:
Location, location, location. Don't forget about LA's mediterranean weather which is picture perfect for any large world event day or night.
Especially if we have a summer like this year...holy mother that was sick!
Old September 15th, 2010, 10:35 PM   #2635
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 864

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trelawny View Post
Not nice. Not nice at all.
Old September 16th, 2010, 01:19 AM   #2636
Gondolier

Quote:
Originally Posted by soup or man View Post
Not nice. Not nice at all.
He just speaks the truth. What is wrong with that? Has being PC killed all honesty?
Old September 16th, 2010, 01:31 AM   #2637
JYDA

Likes (Received): 94

Plenty of Mexicans in Atlanta

JYDA no está en línea  
Old September 16th, 2010, 01:33 AM   #2638
slipperydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gondolier View Post
He just speaks the truth. What is wrong with that? Has being PC killed all honesty?
White people like soccer, too.
Old September 16th, 2010, 01:37 AM   #2639
Gondolier

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
White people like soccer, too.
Well, that's not even an issue I think.
Old September 16th, 2010, 01:57 AM   #2640
LA GRAN TURKA

Likes (Received): 3

why is it always New York? why cant the WC Finals be in miami? dolphins stadium is too old.. time for a new stadium in miami.. were gonna build a better one then dallas..
LA GRAN TURKA no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
los angeles, united states of america, world cup