daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old September 16th, 2010, 02:08 AM   #2641
massp88

Likes (Received): 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA GRAN TURKA View Post
why is it always New York? why cant the WC Finals be in miami? dolphins stadium is too old.. time for a new stadium in miami.. were gonna build a better one then dallas..
Because NYC is the most prominent city in the United States.

Also, I doubt Miami will be building a new stadium for the Dolphins, let alone one that beats Cowboys Stadium (that would take well over $1 Billion USD). We just forked over a TON of tax payer dollars for the Marlins new ballpark. Besides, Sun Life was built in the late 1980s and is hardly old. They will carry out the simple improvements and the stadium will be around for another 20-25 years.
massp88 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old September 16th, 2010, 02:51 AM   #2642
Gondolier

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
why is it always New York? .
Because of the population numbers; because the media have global facilities already in the major cities and capitals like New York.

Last edited by Gondolier; September 16th, 2010 at 02:51 AM. Reason: xx
Gondolier no está en línea  
Old September 16th, 2010, 03:09 AM   #2643
eMKay

Likes (Received): 224

Quote:
why is it always New York? why cant the WC Finals be in miami? dolphins stadium is too old.. time for a new stadium in miami.. were gonna build a better one then dallas..

You're not getting a new stadium, especially not one better than Dallas. You're getting a revamped stadium with an open roof.
HOCKEY Buffalo Bisons/Sabres est: 1940/1970
BASKETBALL Buffalo Braves->LA Clippers est: 1970
eMKay no está en línea  
Old September 16th, 2010, 03:23 AM   #2644
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gondolier View Post
He just speaks the truth. What is wrong with that? Has being PC killed all honesty?
Probably because he's not speaking the truth.

First of all, if you go to a US soccer match in the US, the racial breakdown is not nearly as Hispanic as many would like you to believe. Whites still make up the majority there, at least among the US supporters.

Second, Georgia has a Hispanic population that makes up nearly 10% of the population and it's rapidly growing.

Third, they've reasonably drawn well when they have gotten soccer matches.

Fourth, the notion that a city needs a MLS franchise as evidence of soccer support was debunked forever this summer when Miami, San Diego, Norfolk, West Palm Beach, Las Vegas and Baltimore all ranked in the top 10 in TV ratings for World Cup broadcasts, none of which have a MLS team. That was just for English. In Spanish, Miami, Las Vegas, San Antonio, Sacramento and Austin all ranked in the top 10, again all without MLS franchises. Oh yeah, Miami led in both languages.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old September 16th, 2010, 08:46 AM   #2645
crazydude

Likes (Received): 48

Wouldn't New York be best to get the final? Biggest city, quite a new stadium, lovely backdrop. Also the game could be played in the late afternoon or early evening, and still be at a good time in Europe.
crazydude no está en línea  
Old September 16th, 2010, 08:57 AM   #2646
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydude View Post
Wouldn't New York be best to get the final? Biggest city, quite a new stadium, lovely backdrop. Also the game could be played in the late afternoon or early evening, and still be at a good time in Europe.
Maybe, but Washington is also in the same time zones. I hate it when the final isn't played in the capital city. It just irks me.
Old September 16th, 2010, 09:03 AM   #2647
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gondolier View Post
He just speaks the truth. What is wrong with that? Has being PC killed all honesty?
All you have to do is look at US national players over the years to see that the comment was ******* stupid, not just politically incorrect.
krudmonk no está en línea  
Old September 16th, 2010, 09:25 AM   #2648
crazydude

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1044 View Post
Maybe, but Washington is also in the same time zones. I hate it when the final isn't played in the capital city. It just irks me.
Well I think that NY is the premier city in the US. Plus their isn't really a 'rule' to say that the final needs to be in the capital. SA hosted it in Joburg, not 1 of our 3 capital cities. 2002 was in Yokahama, not the capital, and 98 was technically in Saint Dennis, not Paris. Even the last US World Cup had the final in LA.
crazydude no está en línea  
Old September 16th, 2010, 11:57 AM   #2649
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 353

Quote:
'New York's' stadium is in the Meadowlands in New Jersey.

Its Not:
- A pretty place
- Nor does it have a lovely backdrop. Prey it doesn't rain or is really hot that day.

A revamped Rose Bowl would be much more picturesque and offer more to see and do. California is one of the most scenic places on the entire planet, and the LA Basin has incredible weather. Besides, the U.S. is trying to impress who?
rantanamo no está en línea  
Old September 16th, 2010, 12:16 PM   #2650
RobH

Likes (Received): 10338

FIFA
RobH está en línea ahora  
Old September 16th, 2010, 12:29 PM   #2651
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 1111

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post

Its Not:
- A pretty place
- Nor does it have a lovely backdrop. Prey it doesn't rain or is really hot that day.

A revamped Rose Bowl would be much more picturesque and offer more to see and do. California is one of the most scenic places on the entire planet, and the LA Basin has incredible weather. Besides, the U.S. is trying to impress who?
Those Australian Eucalypts really do the job.
Walbanger no está en línea  
Old September 16th, 2010, 01:13 PM   #2652
ryebreadraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post

Its Not:
- A pretty place

Unfortunately a revamped Rose Bowl is out of the question. The stadium will undergo some renovations in the next few years, but they will serve to expand luxury seating and some ingress/egress issues. That will be about it. It will not address the rest of the stadium's issues and the City of Pasadena had to really stretch itself to get the money for what they are doing. The rest of the renovations necessary to meet FIFA guidelines will not be done.

If LA is to host, it will be either at the new stadium in Industry or in AEG's proposed downtown stadium, whichever is built. If it is Industry, I highly doubt that LA hosts the final. In fact, I would cross it off the list of possibilities.

If it's AEG's downtown stadium, it would be the favorite to host the final, in my opinion, and would do a fantastic job with it. It would be right in the middle of downtown so overhead shots would look great with the California sun, the skyscrapers, Staples Center, etc. A fan fest can even be held at the new park under construction downtown that would allow some fantastic overhead shots of the stadium, downtown and a fan fest all in one. A lot of the hotels for FIFA and everyone in LA would be within walking distance of the stadium, plus Staples Center and the Convention Center would be right next door for any other events to be put on around the final. Oh yeah, the stadium would seat 80,000 with a retractable roof. Not bad.
Old September 16th, 2010, 05:46 PM   #2653
_X_

Likes (Received): 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
FIFA
rofl
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old September 16th, 2010, 05:59 PM   #2654
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Well I think that NY is the premier city in the US. Plus their isn't really a 'rule' to say that the final needs to be in the capital. SA hosted it in Joburg, not 1 of our 3 capital cities. 2002 was in Yokahama, not the capital, and 98 was technically in Saint Dennis, not Paris. Even the last US World Cup had the final in LA.
New York may be the premier city in the United States, but the IS isn't like a lot of small countries where they only have one real big city. You could pick a whole bunch of cities in the US to host the final.
Old September 17th, 2010, 02:22 AM   #2655
CaliforniaJones

Likes (Received): 255

There are many possibilities for final hosts if the USA will be awarded a WC.

Opening game & final in one city

(more appealing and worldwide city)

1 NY
2 LA
3 Washington DC
4 Miami
5 Dallas

Opening game & final in two cities

NY & LA
Dallas & Miami
Washington DC & LA
Dallas & NY
NY & Washington DC
Old September 17th, 2010, 02:48 AM   #2656
weava
Arch(Struct) Engineer

Likes (Received): 1962

I doubt anybody else will agree with this but I think a good idea for opening game is Kansas City. It is in the heartland and is the type of city that represents what the USA is all about. The geographical center of the US is in Kansas, the population center is in Missouri, so the city on the border of those two states is about the most middle of america you can get.
-just my thoughts. (and yes I'm a biased Missourian)

They did do a pretty good job with the opening celebrations at this weeks game.

Last edited by weava; September 17th, 2010 at 04:04 AM.
weava no está en línea  
Old September 17th, 2010, 09:47 AM   #2657
Gondolier

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by weava View Post
I doubt anybody else will agree with this but I think a good idea for opening game is Kansas City. It is in the heartland and is the type of city that represents what the USA is all about. The geographical center of the US is in Kansas, the population center is in Missouri, so the city on the border of those two states is about the most middle of america you can get.
-just my thoughts. (and yes I'm a biased Missourian)

They did do a pretty good job with the opening celebrations at this weeks game.

I disagree. I am going for Tulsa for Openers and the Closing in Tijuana.
Gondolier no está en línea  
Old September 17th, 2010, 09:52 AM   #2658
ryebreadraz

Kansas City needs to worry about getting to host any matches, let alone the opener. They're far from a sure thing to host any matches, assuming the US wins the bid.
Old September 18th, 2010, 01:57 AM   #2659
Trelawny
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by soup or man View Post
Not nice. Not nice at all.
Lol typical americans having a period when it comes to talking about race. The South sould be looking like Brazil or the Dominican Republic by now. It is indeed a shame.
Trelawny no está en línea  
Old September 18th, 2010, 01:59 AM   #2660
Archbishop

Likes (Received): 145

Kansas City might not even get a game, let alone the opener
Archbishop no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
los angeles, united states of america, world cup