daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old September 18th, 2010, 02:15 AM   #2661
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 864

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trelawny View Post
Lol typical americans having a period when it comes to talking about race. The South sould be looking like Brazil or the Dominican Republic by now. It is indeed a shame.
Right because Brazil and the Dominican Republic are such utopias.

Sponsored Links
Old September 18th, 2010, 02:24 AM   #2662
SouthmoreAvenue

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
I would put it 4th as a contender for that game along with NYC, DC, and L.A. I would put NYC and D.C. as the clear front running two though.

The stadium is likely the best that could host but north Texas in the summer can be brutally hot which could very well warrant the roof to be closed. As fine as it would be for early round games would one really want the final to be played under a roof? Also Texas, rightly or wrongly, has the stigma of not being a relative soccer hotbed in the U.S.
Texas includes Houston, so I guess you forgot that fact.

Houston has hosted over 25 international soccer matches since the last decade, it was the last stop for FIFA's WC Trophy Tour, one of only 2 US cities that were in the tour(the other being Miami), has an MLS team that ranks among the upper tier of average attendance which have won 2 MLS Championships in its 5 seasons, is getting a soccer specific stadium, practically in downtown Houston, hosted one of the most attended all star games in US Sports History when the MLS All Stars played ManU, and was the last city showcased when FIFA's Bid comittee toured only 4 cities in the US. So yeah, I'd say Houston is one of the actual soccer cities in the US.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/h...ex.php?act=idx
SouthmoreAvenue no está en línea  
Old September 18th, 2010, 03:27 AM   #2663
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

What makes DC a front-runner besides being the capital?
krudmonk no está en línea  
Old September 18th, 2010, 03:34 AM   #2664
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
What makes DC a front-runner besides being the capital?
Possibility of Dan Snyder getting a new stadium that tops Jerry World. Capitol and incredible stadium would make them a strong candidate.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old September 18th, 2010, 05:06 AM   #2665
pathfinder_2010

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAvenue View Post

Houston has hosted over 25 international soccer matches since the last decade, it was the last stop for FIFA's WC Trophy Tour, one of only 2 US cities that were in the tour(the other being Miami), has an MLS team that ranks among the upper tier of average attendance which have won 2 MLS Championships in its 5 seasons, is getting a soccer specific stadium, practically in downtown Houston, hosted one of the most attended all star games in US Sports History when the MLS All Stars played ManU, and was the last city showcased when FIFA's Bid comittee toured only 4 cities in the US. So yeah, I'd say Houston is one of the actual soccer cities in the US.
Its always nice to hear good things abt H-Town. Houston would be a good world cup host city. If Dallas and Houston both get to host world cup games, I hope they can build good and efficient transport between the two cities during the mundial 4 hrs on I-45 is nasty..............
pathfinder_2010 no está en línea  
Old September 18th, 2010, 05:11 AM   #2666
Trelawny
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by soup or man View Post
Right because Brazil and the Dominican Republic are such utopias.
haha are you that blind I wasn't even talking about them being so called utopia's. I was saying everyone should be mixed raced in the South.
Trelawny no está en línea  
Old September 18th, 2010, 05:22 AM   #2667
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Quote:
Not at all. It was omitted for a reason. While Reliant is one of the nicest stadiums in the nation and deserves knock out games it isn't New Cowboys Stadium in terms of WOW factor. I only included Dallas/Cowboy stadium because it is arguably considered the preeminent stadium in the nation. If Dallas had any other stadium I would just as readily overlook Dallas for consideration as much as Houston.

Quote:
Yea, none of those reasons seems a very convincing reason to consider Houston a select finalist for the championship game.
Old September 18th, 2010, 05:32 AM   #2668
mattec

Likes (Received): 112

Quote:
Lol typical americans having a period when it comes to talking about race. The South sould be looking like Brazil or the Dominican Republic by now. It is indeed a shame.
you cannot compare anywhere in latin america with the US south, they are two totally different cultures and have different ancestories
mattec no está en línea  
Old September 18th, 2010, 05:37 AM   #2669
MysteryMike
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Let’s get real. The U.S. is bankrupt. Herb Stein, chairman of the Council of Economic Advisers under U.S. President Richard Nixon, coined an oft-repeated phrase: “Something that can’t go on, will stop.” True enough. Uncle Sam’s Ponzi scheme will stop. But it will stop too late.

And it will stop in a very nasty manner. The first possibility is massive benefit cuts visited on the baby boomers in retirement. The second is astronomical tax increases that leave the young with little incentive to work and save. And the third is the government simply printing vast quantities of money to cover its bills.

Most likely we will see a combination of all three responses with dramatic increases in poverty, tax, interest rates and consumer prices. This is an awful, downhill road to follow, but it’s the one we are on. And bond traders will kick us miles down our road once they wake up and realize the U.S. is in worse fiscal shape than Greece.

Some doctrinaire Keynesian economists would say any stimulus over the next few years won’t affect our ability to deal with deficits in the long run.This is wrong as a simple matter of arithmetic. The fiscal gap is the government’s credit-card bill and each year’s 14 percent of GDP is the interest on that bill. If it doesn’t pay this year’s interest, it will be added to the balance.

Demand-siders say forgoing this year’s 14 percent fiscal tightening, and spending even more, will pay for itself, in present value, by expanding the economy and tax revenue.

My reaction? Get real, or go hang out with equally deluded supply-siders. Our country is broke and can no longer afford no- pain, all-gain “solutions.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-0...kotlikoff.html
MysteryMike no está en línea  
Old September 18th, 2010, 05:41 AM   #2670
MysteryMike
BANNED

The U.S. Bid Committee has touted the tournament as a major moneymaker for the U.S. economy, predicting a financial benefit of up to $5 billion. Such a needed boost sounds too good to be true. Sadly, it is.

In July, I released a report, "World Cup Economics: What Americans Need to Know About a U.S. World Cup Bid," which reviewed the economics of sports mega-events. The most relevant finding: Organizers for the 1994 World Cup claimed that the U.S. would see a positive impact of $4 billion, yet a post-Cup analysis by economists Robert Baade and Victor Matheson showed a cumulative loss of $5.6 billion to $9 billion. They arrived at this by comparing the gross domestic product in the host region during the World Cup with standard figures in non-Cup periods for the same regions. The average host city lost $712 million, but their estimates indicate that the metropolitan Los Angeles/Long Beach area lost the most of any host city in 1994. Of course, while the population of Los Angeles and the U.S. more generally was losing billions, FIFA and the U.S. Organizing Committee were taking in record profits.

In a very real sense, the issue is whether Americans are willing to provide billions of dollars in corporate welfare to the international and American soccer establishments.

If World Cup bidding were a transparent, accountable process, basing a bid on such a wildly optimistic estimate, in light of the real effect it eventually had on taxpayers, would be considered malfeasance. But the current U.S. Bid Committee, led by sports, entertainment and political luminaries, may be dragging Los Angeles and other U.S. cities into another financial debacle at a time when we can least afford it.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/sep...ldcup-20100907
MysteryMike no está en línea  
Old September 18th, 2010, 07:50 AM   #2671
JYDA

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMike View Post
The U.S. Bid Committee has touted the tournament as a major moneymaker for the U.S. economy, predicting a financial benefit of up to $5 billion. Such a needed boost sounds too good to be true. Sadly, it is.

In July, I released a report, "World Cup Economics: What Americans Need to Know About a U.S. World Cup Bid," which reviewed the economics of sports mega-events. The most relevant finding: Organizers for the 1994 World Cup claimed that the U.S. would see a positive impact of $4 billion, yet a post-Cup analysis by economists Robert Baade and Victor Matheson showed a cumulative loss of $5.6 billion to $9 billion. They arrived at this by comparing the gross domestic product in the host region during the World Cup with standard figures in non-Cup periods for the same regions. The average host city lost $712 million, but their estimates indicate that the metropolitan Los Angeles/Long Beach area lost the most of any host city in 1994. Of course, while the population of Los Angeles and the U.S. more generally was losing billions, FIFA and the U.S. Organizing Committee were taking in record profits.

In a very real sense, the issue is whether Americans are willing to provide billions of dollars in corporate welfare to the international and American soccer establishments.

If World Cup bidding were a transparent, accountable process, basing a bid on such a wildly optimistic estimate, in light of the real effect it eventually had on taxpayers, would be considered malfeasance. But the current U.S. Bid Committee, led by sports, entertainment and political luminaries, may be dragging Los Angeles and other U.S. cities into another financial debacle at a time when we can least afford it.

I don't buy that for a second. The United States World Cup bid is unlike any other country's world cup bid or an Olympic bid for that matter where massive infrastructure investments are required. A USA world cup doesn't need any of that. The stadiums and infrastructure are all there. All of this nonsense about bilking taxpayers is BS. There's nothing to pay for. It's just show up and play.

Please explain more specifically how a sporting event requiring zero infrastrucutre investment that draws hundreds of thousands of fans from around the world is going to create an economic loss?
JYDA no está en línea  
Old September 19th, 2010, 05:55 AM   #2672
SouthmoreAvenue

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Not at all. It was omitted for a reason. While Reliant is one of the nicest stadiums in the nation and deserves knock out games it isn't New Cowboys Stadium in terms of WOW factor. I only included Dallas/Cowboy stadium because it is arguably considered the preeminent stadium in the nation. If Dallas had any other stadium I would just as readily overlook Dallas for consideration as much as Houston.

Yea, none of those reasons seems a very convincing reason to consider Houston a select finalist for the championship game.
Oh, I think we misunderstood each other. I don't think Houston would be the best city for an opening or closing game, I responded to the statement that Texas isn't neccessarily a hotbed for soccer, so my point was that Houston should be considered a soccer town, and that there are parts of Texas that support soccer well.

As long as Houston gets selected to host some matches, which I expect it to, I'm fine.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/h...ex.php?act=idx
SouthmoreAvenue no está en línea  
Old September 19th, 2010, 09:31 AM   #2673
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Oh, I think we misunderstood each other. I don't think Houston would be the best city for an opening or closing game, I responded to the statement that Texas isn't neccessarily a hotbed for soccer, so my point was that Houston should be considered a soccer town, and that there are parts of Texas that support soccer well.

As long as Houston gets selected to host some matches, which I expect it to, I'm fine.
If Houston wasn't a host city, I'd be shocked. Reliant is a gorgeous stadium and Houston has always supported soccer very well. With as large as Texas is and how many people leave there, plus the vast convention facilities and top-notch airports, it would make no sense not to have two Texas cities host.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old September 19th, 2010, 09:06 PM   #2674
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 864

Quote:
haha are you that blind I wasn't even talking about them being so called utopia's. I was saying everyone should be mixed raced in the South.
Why?
Old September 19th, 2010, 10:16 PM   #2675
Gondolier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMike View Post

JYDA, you're right. The above is ABSOLUTE B.S. Just another naysayer or a spy from the Australian bid. But if the other countries want to go bankrupt, hey, go right ahead!!
Gondolier no está en línea  
Old September 20th, 2010, 08:23 AM   #2676
crazydude

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
'New York's' stadium is in the Meadowlands in New Jersey.

Its Not:
- A pretty place
- Nor does it have a lovely backdrop. Prey it doesn't rain or is really hot that day.

A revamped Rose Bowl would be much more picturesque and offer more to see and do. California is one of the most scenic places on the entire planet, and the LA Basin has incredible weather. Besides, the U.S. is trying to impress who?
I know that the New Meadowlands Stadium is on New Jersey, but it will still likely be punted as New York. Now while I don't know a lot about the US, I was watching the Jets game on ESPN, and one of the overheads showed a skyline while the commentators were talking about Queens. I guess I just assumed that you could get shots of NY from a helicopter from over the stadium.
crazydude no está en línea  
Old September 21st, 2010, 11:08 AM   #2677
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 353

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydude View Post
I know that the New Meadowlands Stadium is on New Jersey, but it will still likely be punted as New York. Now while I don't know a lot about the US, I was watching the Jets game on ESPN, and one of the overheads showed a skyline while the commentators were talking about Queens. I guess I just assumed that you could get shots of NY from a helicopter from over the stadium.
You can, but its over not so flattering area. They would simply have cameras in the city.
rantanamo no está en línea  
Old September 23rd, 2010, 12:04 PM   #2678
three5ive
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA GRAN TURKA View Post
why is it always New York? why cant the WC Finals be in miami? dolphins stadium is too old.. time for a new stadium in miami.. were gonna build a better one then dallas..
why not
three5ive no está en línea  
Old September 23rd, 2010, 03:44 PM   #2679
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
I find it funny that people have a problem with both Dallas and Houston hosting matches, but much fewer would have an issue with say, New York and Washington hosting matches concurrently, even though the pairs of cities are roughly the same distance from one another.
ADCS no está en línea  
Old September 23rd, 2010, 04:57 PM   #2680
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

Nothing funny about it. Just a congenial dislike of Texas.

Closed Thread

Tags
los angeles, united states of america, world cup