daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools
Old September 23rd, 2010, 06:27 PM   #2681
1772
Registered User
 
1772's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,573
Likes (Received): 1439

Quote:
Originally Posted by soup or man View Post
Right because Brazil and the Dominican Republic are such utopias.


Owned!
1772 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old September 23rd, 2010, 06:35 PM   #2682
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body
 
nomarandlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: 1060 W. Addison, City by the Lake
Posts: 7,209
Likes (Received): 2761

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADCS View Post
I find it funny that people have a problem with both Dallas and Houston hosting matches, but much fewer would have an issue with say, New York and Washington hosting matches concurrently, even though the pairs of cities are roughly the same distance from one another.
Who has an issue with Houston and Dallas hosting matches concurrently or otherwise?
__________________
Stephane Charbonnier, “I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.”
nomarandlee no está en línea  
Old September 23rd, 2010, 10:30 PM   #2683
ryebreadraz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,597
Likes (Received): 17

One thing I just realized, and I don't know why it took me so long to realize this, is that the average ticket sales would likely be larger than the 78,000 stadium average. Because some venues host more matches than others, odds are the larger stadiums will host more matches than smaller ones, pushing the capacity even higher. Kind of crazy to think about.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old September 23rd, 2010, 10:38 PM   #2684
slipperydog
Registered User
 
slipperydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,852
Likes (Received): 2401

slipperydog no está en línea  
Old September 24th, 2010, 01:13 AM   #2685
pathfinder_2010
Registered User
 
pathfinder_2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Houston,Texas
Posts: 669
Likes (Received): 5

BACK THE BID
BACK THE BID
BACK THE BID

BACK THE USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pathfinder_2010 no está en línea  
Old September 24th, 2010, 02:12 AM   #2686
mattec
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 820
Likes (Received): 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
Morgan Freeman should be enough to get us the WC....
mattec no está en línea  
Old September 24th, 2010, 04:20 AM   #2687
matthemod
Registered User
 
matthemod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Gillingham, Medway
Posts: 766
Likes (Received): 95

Being British but having spent a year of study in the United States I would like to mention some things.

i) From personal experience, the U.S. has some of the most devoted and dedicated Soccer/Football fans in the entire world. I have seen with my own eyes Americans, particularly of the younger generations, glued to the television whenever their particular team is playing.

ii) There is a generation of younger soccer/football fans who are in direct contrast to the establishment, and it is growing. Soccer/football fans in the U.S. are in many ways targeted for supporting their sport. American sports networks pay huge amounts of attention towards American Football, Basketball and Baseball with Soccer/Football barely getting a mention. Despite this, I know personally of many people who are outright annoyed at this fact, and in many circumstances hate the prevailing dominance of these aforementioned sports.

iii) Most Americans of a certain age are aware of the world cup, and are playing the sport. Yes people like Glenn Beck *spit* are catering to an audience who apparently disapprove of the U.S. adopting any sort of global attitude, and there is a large audience who outright reject Soccer/Football as a legitimate sport in the United States, however the numbers of people, particularly of student age who have continually played since their childhood is growing in the U.S.

Basically what i'm trying to say is, by 2022, I fully expect the U.S.A. and it's population, who by this time have perhaps grown up with an appreciation of the sport, to fully adopt the honour of the World Cup and become a respected Soccer/Football power within the world.

But alas, that is my two cents.
__________________
http://pricetown.myminicity.com

My MiniCity!
matthemod no está en línea  
Old September 24th, 2010, 04:25 AM   #2688
matthemod
Registered User
 
matthemod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Gillingham, Medway
Posts: 766
Likes (Received): 95

....I just wish they'd drop the "Soccer" tag and call it Association Football, but that's just me
__________________
http://pricetown.myminicity.com

My MiniCity!
matthemod no está en línea  
Old September 24th, 2010, 04:42 AM   #2689
ryebreadraz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,597
Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthemod View Post
....I just wish they'd drop the "Soccer" tag and call it Association Football, but that's just me
You Brits came up with the word. You have no one to blame but yourselves!
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old September 24th, 2010, 05:21 AM   #2690
krudmonk
sucks
 
krudmonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sannozay
Posts: 2,265
Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthemod View Post
....I just wish they'd drop the "Soccer" tag and call it Association Football, but that's just me
That's too cumbersome. If it were up to me, all footballs would have nifty and specific names like "soccer." It's just one word, two syllables and no ambiguity.

"Hockey" could be the same way if you people didn't play that hunchback version on outdoor carpet with the Nerf goalies...
krudmonk no está en línea  
Old September 24th, 2010, 05:26 AM   #2691
BoulderGrad
Registered User
 
BoulderGrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,478
Likes (Received): 1143

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
Good video, but I could actually see the pain in the British guy's face when he said "bring the game to the United States." (see for yourself, 1:47)
__________________
My safety word is "Keep Going."
BoulderGrad está en línea ahora  
Old September 24th, 2010, 06:44 AM   #2692
Alan21LP
Registered User
 
Alan21LP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Torreón
Posts: 344
Likes (Received): 0

I totally support the USA for 2022, 2018 World Cup should be for England or Australia, that's my opinion.

Last edited by Alan21LP; September 24th, 2010 at 07:41 AM.
Alan21LP no está en línea  
Old September 24th, 2010, 10:23 AM   #2693
MysteryMike
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 757
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan21LP View Post
I totally support the USA for 2022, 2018 World Cup should be for England or Australia, that's my opinion.
Clearly you haven't kept up with any nations outside of the US, Australia is no longer bidding for the 2018 Football World Cup.
MysteryMike no está en línea  
Old September 24th, 2010, 05:57 PM   #2694
1772
Registered User
 
1772's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,573
Likes (Received): 1439

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
That just made me puke!

If the US wants the bid, then there should be americans in the video (which race I couldn't care less), not a bunch of other people in their home countries jerseys.

The US isn't some sort of international airport where people can come and go. It's a country with it's people, language and culture.

So...
I want a video with americans, in american jerseys speaking english in american.
Not mexicans in mexico flags, polish in polish flags, brazilians in brazil flags and so on...

This isn't some lame racism thing, it really isn't. It's about americans being AMERICAN.
1772 no está en línea  
Old September 24th, 2010, 06:31 PM   #2695
matthemod
Registered User
 
matthemod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Gillingham, Medway
Posts: 766
Likes (Received): 95

Does that mean you're going to get some Cherokee guys in Cherokee nations shirts speaking?
__________________
http://pricetown.myminicity.com

My MiniCity!
matthemod no está en línea  
Old September 24th, 2010, 06:42 PM   #2696
krudmonk
sucks
 
krudmonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sannozay
Posts: 2,265
Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1772 View Post
The US isn't some sort of international airport where people can come and go.
To some extent, it is.
krudmonk no está en línea  
Old September 24th, 2010, 10:36 PM   #2697
mattec
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 820
Likes (Received): 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1772 View Post
That just made me puke!

If the US wants the bid, then there should be americans in the video (which race I couldn't care less), not a bunch of other people in their home countries jerseys.

The US isn't some sort of international airport where people can come and go. It's a country with it's people, language and culture.

So...
I want a video with americans, in american jerseys speaking english in american.
Not mexicans in mexico flags, polish in polish flags, brazilians in brazil flags and so on...

This isn't some lame racism thing, it really isn't. It's about americans being AMERICAN.

What ever it takes to win
mattec no está en línea  
Old September 24th, 2010, 10:48 PM   #2698
slipperydog
Registered User
 
slipperydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,852
Likes (Received): 2401

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1772 View Post
That just made me puke!

If the US wants the bid, then there should be americans in the video (which race I couldn't care less), not a bunch of other people in their home countries jerseys.

The US isn't some sort of international airport where people can come and go. It's a country with it's people, language and culture.

So...
I want a video with americans, in american jerseys speaking english in american.
Not mexicans in mexico flags, polish in polish flags, brazilians in brazil flags and so on...

This isn't some lame racism thing, it really isn't. It's about americans being AMERICAN.
I don't usually let the comments of others dictate my mood, but I'm actually slightly embarrassed. For the record, they've already done a video with Americans with 'American' accents but this is a stupid, ignorant post. That's what makes this country the best in the world, and if you don't like it you can GTFO. So no one that's immigrated here is allowed to wear the jersey of their home nation? Absolutely laughable.

A Pole living in America, a Brit living in America, a whatever living in America has just as much a right to a USA World Cup as you or I. And that video is actually a perfect representation of the 'people, language and culture' of this country, as you say. Like it or not (I don't know why you wouldn't), this country is one-of-a-kind in the world today in that it is a true melting pot. The USA makes the UK actually look homogenous. It's sad, but it's the few people like you who are setting the country back.

EDIT: In other news, ESPN just hired Ian Darke to be the lead voice on practically every soccer match they broadcast, including USA men and women games, and even some MLS! We got Darke! We got Darke!

Last edited by slipperydog; September 24th, 2010 at 11:11 PM.
slipperydog no está en línea  
Old September 24th, 2010, 11:55 PM   #2699
mattec
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 820
Likes (Received): 112

Is that Mia Hamm at 1:55?

If so, she got old
mattec no está en línea  
Old September 25th, 2010, 04:29 AM   #2700
1772
Registered User
 
1772's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,573
Likes (Received): 1439

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthemod View Post
Does that mean you're going to get some Cherokee guys in Cherokee nations shirts speaking?
Yes! Giv'em to me!
White people, black people and cherokees! That sounds great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
To some extent, it is.
No.
It might have been once, but not today. The USA is more and more becoming a true nation-state, with it's own distinct culture.
The airport days are over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
I don't usually let the comments of others dictate my mood, but I'm actually slightly embarrassed. For the record, they've already done a video with Americans with 'American' accents but this is a stupid, ignorant post. That's what makes this country the best in the world, and if you don't like it you can GTFO. So no one that's immigrated here is allowed to wear the jersey of their home nation? Absolutely laughable.

A Pole living in America, a Brit living in America, a whatever living in America has just as much a right to a USA World Cup as you or I. And that video is actually a perfect representation of the 'people, language and culture' of this country, as you say. Like it or not (I don't know why you wouldn't), this country is one-of-a-kind in the world today in that it is a true melting pot. The USA makes the UK actually look homogenous. It's sad, but it's the few people like you who are setting the country back.

EDIT: In other news, ESPN just hired Ian Darke to be the lead voice on practically every soccer match they broadcast, including USA men and women games, and even some MLS! We got Darke! We got Darke!
Could you please read what I'm writing, and not what your liberal mind is telling you?

A pole, brazilian, argentinian, whatever has his full right to wear the jersey of his home country.
But I don't see why the US bid should emphazise them?

If the other bids emphazises people of that bid country, then why dosen't the US do the same?

Do you think that Japan would do a clip like this? H*ll NO!
1772 no está en línea  


Closed Thread

Tags
los angeles, united states of america, world cup

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu