daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old September 25th, 2010, 04:35 AM   #2701
T74

Likes (Received): 1

nothing wrong with the video, points out the cultural diversity of the USA
T74 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old September 25th, 2010, 09:49 AM   #2702
slipperydog

Likes (Received): 2401

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1772 View Post
If the other bids emphazises people of that bid country, then why dosen't the US do the same?
I have not seen these. Please provide examples.

Quote:
Do you think that Japan would do a clip like this? H*ll NO!
They have no reason to do a clip like this. They are a homogenous nation. This video is showing what the USA can offer that no one else can.
slipperydog no está en línea  
Old September 25th, 2010, 10:07 AM   #2703
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
This video is showing what the USA can offer that no one else can.
Like what? Australia is every bit as multicultural as the US if that's what you mean.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old September 25th, 2010, 10:27 AM   #2704
slipperydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezza View Post
Like what? Australia is every bit as multicultural as the US if that's what you mean.
I never said Australia wasn't multicultural. But the USA is much more-so and it's not even close. The country has 320 million people, so the sheer number of ethnic groups, immigrants, and languages in America dwarfs anything in Australia. And numbers are everything, it's what fills the stadiums.

So America will mostly be filling its stadiums with American residents. Should foreigners decide to come to the World Cup, the logistical infrastructure is there to accommodate them, but foreigners are not necessary. And when you don't have to depend on foreign tourism, that's a good indication you will be guaranteed sell-outs at every stadium.
Old September 25th, 2010, 02:51 PM   #2705
Wezza
©

Quote:
I never said Australia wasn't multicultural. But the USA is much more-so and it's not even close. The country has 320 million people, so the sheer number of ethnic groups, immigrants, and languages in America dwarfs anything in Australia. And numbers are everything, it's what fills the stadiums.
Have you even been to Australia?
Wezza no está en línea  
Old September 25th, 2010, 03:19 PM   #2706
slipperydog

Quote:
Have you even been to Australia?
What's your point? The United States has more foreign-born residents than Australia has people, koalas, and 12 oz. cans of Foster's combined. You can't argue against sheer numbers. That was my only point.

Last edited by slipperydog; September 25th, 2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old September 25th, 2010, 03:22 PM   #2707
Solopop
Solopop

Likes (Received): 99

^
Maybe, but for a country of our size we have heaps of merit, I mean outside of Athens there are more Greeks in Melbourne than anywhere else!
Solopop no está en línea  
Old September 25th, 2010, 03:30 PM   #2708
matthemod

Likes (Received): 95

Is it not possible for someone to be both an American, and keep in touch with their ethnic heritage? I mean during the previous world cup, when people weren't supporting the U.S. they were more often than not supporting the team of their heritage. I thought it was quite unusual but really great to see Americans watching the Germany-Spain game, despite the fact most had never even been to their respective countries!

See it as a strength or a negative, Americans are much more in touch with their ethnic heritage, be that 1st generation or 5th than a lot of other countries in the world. Doesn't mean they don't consider themselves American.

My MiniCity!
matthemod no está en línea  
Old September 25th, 2010, 03:42 PM   #2709
T74

Quote:
What's your point? The United States has more foreign-born residents than Australia has people, koalas, and 12 oz. cans of Foster's combined. You can't argue against sheer numbers. That was my only point.
to quote Samuel L Jackson, we have the metric system, we wouldn't know what the %#^ 12 oz. is

also, Fosters is a completely and utterly crap beer, and no fair dinkum Australian drinks it.
T74 no está en línea  
Old September 25th, 2010, 03:50 PM   #2710
RobH

Likes (Received): 10341

The video is a nice piece of promotional fluff, nothing more really. Also, I'm sure Man Utd fans will appreciate the irony in choosing a Man City fan with a rather posh sounding Surrey accent.

Several countries could produce similar videos. Several countries can and are using the "home from home" slogan, and of course FIFA will lap all this up, but it won't be the clincher. The diversity of the US is certainly a plus point, but you can overstate these things. I mean this post below, whilst true, doesn't point out anything particularly special about the US' bid:

Quote:

So America will mostly be filling its stadiums with American residents. Should foreigners decide to come to the World Cup, the logistical infrastructure is there to accommodate them, but foreigners are not necessary. And when you don't have to depend on foreign tourism, that's a good indication you will be guaranteed sell-outs at every stadium.
The big bids from the likes of England, Australia, Spain etc will have no trouble filling their stadiums, no trouble whatsoever. You get beyond a certain size in your population and full stadiums ought to be a given. So the US doesn't really have an advantage in this regard just because their population dwarfs Australia's. There's only one bid where I see population as a problem and that's Qatar. The others are all fine in this reagrd.

The biggest worry on the ticket front - unless you're Qatar - isn't what the bids themselves offer, but how FIFA deals with ticket distribution. That was the main reason for the empty seats in South Africa, and whichever bids win 2018/22 will have to deal with this.

---------------------------------------

EDIT: Just been browsing around the England 2018 website, and guess what I've found? Surprise, surprise, that's right, virtually the same video, virtually the same slogan, but shot in England (during the world cup)!

http://www.england2018bid.com/videop...2-00fa34ac9d5d

As I said, all nice promotional stuff, but hardly a clincher, and hardly something unique to any one bid, be it England, the USA, or Australia.

Last edited by RobH; September 25th, 2010 at 09:02 PM.
RobH no está en línea  
Old September 25th, 2010, 04:49 PM   #2711
Will737

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
lolololololo11!!!11!one!!11!11!!1! I've never seen a person make a joke about koalas and beer in regards to Australia.
Will737 no está en línea  
Old September 25th, 2010, 09:53 PM   #2712
slipperydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
The video is a nice piece of promotional fluff, nothing more really. Also, I'm sure Man Utd fans will appreciate the irony in choosing a Man City fan with a rather posh sounding Surrey accent.

Several countries could produce similar videos. Several countries can and are using the "home from home" slogan, and of course FIFA will lap all this up, but it won't be the clincher. The diversity of the US is certainly a plus point, but you can overstate these things. I mean this post below, whilst true, doesn't point out anything particularly special about the US' bid:

As I said, all nice promotional stuff, but hardly a clincher, and hardly something unique to any one bid, be it England, the USA, or Australia.
Of course it's promotional fluff. The entire bidding process is fluff. It was merely stated that the USA an incredibly high amount of foreigners living in the country. No one said that this should be the absolute clincher. It's a message board and it's one discussion point out of many. Now I would hesitate to bring England and Spain into any discussion about this bid, seeing as how 2022 is between the US and Australia. We were talking about the amount of diversity between the two countries, nothing more, nothing less.

I also don't see why you automatically assume stadiums would be sold out in Australia, seeing as how Japan, Korea, and even Germany did not sell out every game. Even if they can sell out stadiums, they are dealing with mostly smaller stadiums. The USA would likely be selling out or have near sell-outs of 70,000 seat stadiums.
Old September 25th, 2010, 10:41 PM   #2713
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
What a stupid thing to say. Everyone knows that Foster's comes in 25.4 oz oil cans.
krudmonk no está en línea  
Old September 25th, 2010, 11:22 PM   #2714
The Game Is Up
Proud Facebook Non-Member

Likes (Received): 256

Quote:

I also don't see why you automatically assume stadiums would be sold out in Australia, seeing as how Japan, Korea, and even Germany did not sell out every game. Even if they can sell out stadiums, they are dealing with mostly smaller stadiums. The USA would likely be selling out or have near sell-outs of 70,000 seat stadiums.
I don't want to guess what would be reality 12 years from now but I have to think that it's a wild assumption that the local population would be motivated to show up by then. 1994, I could argue, was a relatively new experience for those who had no clue about the game. The curiosity factor alone could explain much of the attendance then, plus the immigrant populations who supported different teams. MLS has been slowly gaining respect and interest but still has a way to go before being considered a powerhouse league. The mixed performance of the clubs involved in the Concacaf Champions League is encouraging but we're talking about a competition that isn't taken too seriously by even the Mexicans.

There was a bit more interest in the just-concluded edition of the World Cup but still represents a minority of the native-born population, while you still have comments like "nobody really cares about soccer" at message boards. It is what it is. Meanwhile, sport is considered a meta-religion in Australia, not necessarily association football but history has shown that they'll show up for major world events. So it's a wash, at best.

The video was so full of cliches. I wanted to see how the local population is motivated by the sport but I didn't see much of that, if at all. A better idea for a video would include showing local legends of MLS, from the 1998-2006 years, then showing new players like Clint Dempsey, a local Texas boy who followed his dream: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAr6m...eature=related That vid is a bit old but certain shots are quite relevant as they give FIFA a good idea of how players who didn't have a chance before were given a chance to thrive on the local league, including fake turf, which would give a better argument for legacy. Then you'd show scenes of what is happening today, with the designated players, increased crowds and newer facilities. You can include the ubiquitous shots of kids of different backgrounds playing the game but only to back up the other references and not dominate the video.
Old September 26th, 2010, 02:13 AM   #2715
JYDA

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game Is Up View Post
I don't want to guess what would be reality 12 years from now but I have to think that it's a wild assumption that the local population would be motivated to show up by then. 1994, I could argue, was a relatively new experience for those who had no clue about the game. The curiosity factor alone could explain much of the attendance then, plus the immigrant populations who supported different teams. MLS has been slowly gaining respect and interest but still has a way to go before being considered a powerhouse league. The mixed performance of the clubs involved in the Concacaf Champions League is encouraging but we're talking about a competition that isn't taken too seriously by even the Mexicans
The flaw in your point is that interest in MLS is only a fraction of soccer interest in the United States. Meaningess international and club friendlies are played all over the United States every summer drawing 50 to 60,000 + attendances. The new Meadowlands stadium has already sold out twice this year for meaningless friendlies. The 94,000 seat Rose Bowl in California has had 3 sell outs in the past two years for meaningless games. To think that the real deal would struggle to sell is not realistic.
JYDA no está en línea  
Old September 26th, 2010, 03:42 AM   #2716
Wezza
©

Quote:
Of course in sheer numbers the US would have more foreign born residents than Oz. But that doesn't make it any more multicultural than Australia which is the angle this video is trying to work. 25% of the Australian population was born overseas & a good deal more hold dual nationalities.

So in summary, that video doesn't show what USA can offer that nobody else can.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old September 26th, 2010, 05:30 AM   #2717
MysteryMike
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

England can offer just as much if not more multiculturalism and they aren't illegals who crossed over from Mexico or came by boat from Honduras. Just on another note, the most corrupt FIFA executive Jack Warner who is effectively doing the bidding for the USA's world cup bid has announced that CONCACAF want 4 spots at the 2014 Brazil World Cup. Where is the additional spot most likely to come from? Africa, won't go down too well with the African delegation.

Last edited by MysteryMike; September 26th, 2010 at 05:41 AM.
MysteryMike no está en línea  
Old September 26th, 2010, 05:33 AM   #2718
Kenni
What?

Quote:
Very good video! And Morgan Freeman is an excellent choice to voice the Bid.

Last edited by Kenni; September 27th, 2010 at 02:56 AM.
Kenni no está en línea  
Old September 26th, 2010, 08:39 AM   #2719
Wezza
©

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMike View Post
England can offer just as much if not more multiculturalism and they aren't illegals who crossed over from Mexico or came by boat from Honduras. Just on another note, the most corrupt FIFA executive Jack Warner who is effectively doing the bidding for the USA's world cup bid has announced that CONCACAF want 4 spots at the 2014 Brazil World Cup. Where is the additional spot most likely to come from? Africa, won't go down too well with the African delegation.
I agree. Either way, I don't think they're a direct competitor. They have to be the front runner for 2018, (though I wouldn't write Russia off) leaving 2022 for the yanks & Australia to contest.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old September 26th, 2010, 09:07 AM   #2720
T74

Quote:
I agree. Either way, I don't think they're a direct competitor. They have to be the front runner for 2018, (though I wouldn't write Russia off) leaving 2022 for the yanks & Australia to contest.
actually this could be a major issue.

if you are an ex-co delegate, would you want to reward Warner if he is campaigning for your confed to lose a WC slot?

Mike, any reports on which confed Warner is suggesting should lose its slot to CONCACAF?
T74 no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
los angeles, united states of america, world cup