daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old October 21st, 2010, 06:57 AM   #2761
boyerling3

Likes (Received): 4

I really wish that a soccer specific stadium was included in the bid. Obviously there really isn't one in the US (yet) that could hold the expected capacity. It really would be amazing to show people that soccer in the US doesn't just need to be big with big international teams and big stadiums when the world cup is going on, but the bigness of soccer can go beyond the WC. Basically I'd just love to see large SSS that reach capacity with some regularity. That may be a while though.
boyerling3 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old October 21st, 2010, 07:04 AM   #2762
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyerling3 View Post
I really wish that a soccer specific stadium was included in the bid. Obviously there really isn't one in the US (yet) that could hold the expected capacity. It really would be amazing to show people that soccer in the US doesn't just need to be big with big international teams and big stadiums when the world cup is going on, but the bigness of soccer can go beyond the WC. Basically I'd just love to see large SSS that reach capacity with some regularity. That may be a while though.
A large SSS doesn't really make sense though.

Mostly because football and soccer pitches are so similar in size that it doesn't really make sense to make one without allowing football to be played there.

I believe the Sounders could build a 40k stadium and fill it up every week but it doesn't make sense to move out of Qwest.
hngcm no está en línea  
Old October 29th, 2010, 11:19 PM   #2763
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 952

Since some uncontrolled posters got the 2018/2022 thread closed, I guess all the discussion of both our bid and comments about other bids can go in here.
Old October 29th, 2010, 11:52 PM   #2764
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

So, AEG is going forward with their proposed stadium in downtown LA. The stadium would hold 75,000, expandable to over 80,000 and would have a retractable roof. This has to be another feather in the cap for the US bid considering that neither the Rose Bowl nor the Coliseum is likely to be able to host World Cup matches. I would also make the AEG stadium the front-runner to host the Final if the US hosts and it gets built.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old October 30th, 2010, 12:12 AM   #2765
slipperydog

Likes (Received): 2401

It will be a nice stadium no doubt, but I think there will be too much political pressure within USSF and FIFA for an eastern site this time around, especially with the tournaments happening in such close proximity. I think Snyder's new stadium should get it...that would be fabulous, especially if it's at RFK.
slipperydog no está en línea  
Old October 30th, 2010, 12:32 AM   #2766
slipperydog

For example, Munich is a sleeker stadium than Berlin, but the final went to the capital for a host of reasons.
Old October 30th, 2010, 01:19 AM   #2767
Trelawny
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

If USA gets the bid it will be the biggest LOL of the year. USA would be wise and drop out to focus on 2026.
Trelawny no está en línea  
Old October 30th, 2010, 02:04 AM   #2768
Lord David

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
For example, Munich is a sleeker stadium than Berlin, but the final went to the capital for a host of reasons.
It went to the capital for capacity reasons. Munich Olympic Stadium, though theoretically similar in capacity (assuming upgrades) was never chosen as a WC venue for 2006. The fact that Berlin is now one again is also an important factor.
Lord David no está en línea  
Old October 30th, 2010, 02:06 AM   #2769
Lord David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trelawny View Post
If USA gets the bid it will be the biggest LOL of the year. USA would be wise and drop out to focus on 2026.
What do you mean? It's just FIFA saying that Australia isn't ready, but of course that would be doom for our WC hopes as China is surely to make a very competitive bid for 2026.
Old October 30th, 2010, 03:08 AM   #2770
T74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord David View Post
What do you mean? It's just FIFA saying that Australia isn't ready, but of course that would be doom for our WC hopes as China is surely to make a very competitive bid for 2026.
not sure about that - I think Australia is ready to host, but if the US is chosen its because their bid is simply superior (an on paper its hard to argue with this)

Still not sold on China for 2026 though, the FA and Bin Hammam have been the only ones to talk it up so far, with Beijing strangely silent. Until the govt is on board, its not happening (but they will have the better part of 8 years most likely to change their mind).
T74 no está en línea  
Old October 30th, 2010, 03:50 AM   #2771
jacoboy7

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trelawny View Post
Wtf, why are you saying this about every bid, you said that is England win 2018 australia won't win 2022..
Are you mentally disabled or something, GTFO of the threads and leave your opinion elsewhere.

P.S
Good luck USA

"Scientists discover the Unknown, Architects design the Unique, Engineers create the previously Impossible"

jacoboy7 no está en línea  
Old October 30th, 2010, 04:12 AM   #2772
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
Munich's stadium isn't large enough to meet FIFA requirements for the Final. Honestly, with all of the pull AEG has in US Soccer, I just can't imagine their crown jewel stadium with a retractable roof in the heart of downtown LA, near public transportation, LA Live, Staples Center and hotels being passed over. It would be a gem of a stadium in the heart of the country's second largest city, a soccer hotbed, and then AEG exerts some of their influence.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old October 30th, 2010, 04:35 AM   #2773
slipperydog

AEG does have a lot of influence. That's the only way I could see them getting the final, but I think they would settle for a semifinal if they had to. But I would argue that the Mid-Atlantic is actually more of a soccer hotbed than Southern California. Depends on your criteria.

Washington's urban plan is actually more European than LA, especially in terms of public transit. While LA does have a stop near the stadium, unless you are planning on staying downtown and doing all your tourism stuff down there the entire time, it's not the ideal location for foreigners because it's not as well connected to surrounding infrastructure such as hotels, restaurants outside of downtown. It's definitely getting better, and I alluded to this in another thread about connecting to Pasadena and Hollywood, but it's still not as well-developed as DC. The DC transit system allows people to be more dispersed around tourist attractions and suburban areas, then easily take the train on gameday. Depending on where the new stadium is built, I think DC would put on the best the best single-day event of all the cities. Not to mention a massive fan fest on the National Mall would cap off an incredible day.
Old October 30th, 2010, 05:04 AM   #2774
Lord David

Quote:
Originally Posted by T74 View Post
not sure about that - I think Australia is ready to host, but if the US is chosen its because their bid is simply superior (an on paper its hard to argue with this)

Still not sold on China for 2026 though, the FA and Bin Hammam have been the only ones to talk it up so far, with Beijing strangely silent. Until the govt is on board, its not happening (but they will have the better part of 8 years most likely to change their mind).
China has plenty of major cities with 60,000+ stadiums already available.
Most of these cities have reasonable infrastructure already.
They got the hosting experience with recent major events like the 2008 Olympics.

The only downside would be that most of them are athletic track based. I'm sure that some could be retrofitted with some infield seating to make it seem more of a rectangular bowl and add additional seating.

In essence, they're pretty much close to ready, just improvements in infrastructure and hotel construction here and there, perhaps proposing a stadium or two to wow FIFA, but really, they don't need to do so.

So if Australia fails in 2022, China could really present a very tough bid to beat.
Old October 30th, 2010, 05:16 AM   #2775
T74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord David View Post
China has plenty of major cities with 60,000+ stadiums already available.
Most of these cities have reasonable infrastructure already.
They got the hosting experience with recent major events like the 2008 Olympics.

The only downside would be that most of them are athletic track based. I'm sure that some could be retrofitted with some infield seating to make it seem more of a rectangular bowl and add additional seating.

In essence, they're pretty much close to ready, just improvements in infrastructure and hotel construction here and there, perhaps proposing a stadium or two to wow FIFA, but really, they don't need to do so.

So if Australia fails in 2022, China could really present a very tough bid to beat.
China is not about infrastructure, that is a no brainer

Its about an incredibly corrupt local football situation, and an extremely uncompetitive national team - both of which are a national embarrassment right now

Govt is trying to clean up the local scene, but it is a work in progress. as for the national team, they are throwing a fair bit of money at the problem, but it takes time.

Beijing is doing the right moves, but the clean out they are doing will take time. Until they are done, I cannot see them bidding - but as mentioned they will have up to 8 years to get their house in order.
T74 no está en línea  
Old October 30th, 2010, 07:43 AM   #2776
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 952

I thought China dropped out of the 2026 bid?.......
Old October 30th, 2010, 01:42 PM   #2777
T74

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaMike View Post
I thought China dropped out of the 2026 bid?.......
the head of their FA came out and said it would be a great idea, if the USA won for China to get 2026. The rest of the confed was not overly impressed with this though, and he later said he was taken out of context and supported an Asian bid for 2022.

Personally I think he wants to put his hand up, but quietly got told by the powers that be to pull his head in

since then, Bin Hammam has also been praising a China bid for 2026
T74 no está en línea  
Old October 30th, 2010, 01:46 PM   #2778
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by T74 View Post

I have my doubts that any bid is going to take place before the chinese national team shows some sign of being competitive.
MoreOrLess no está en línea  
Old October 31st, 2010, 02:52 PM   #2779
_X_

Likes (Received): 510

What hasn't been discussed is the damage that Qatars collusion with Spain will have on the USA-

ABSOLUTELY MASSIVE

Doesn't particularly worry me because Australia only lose Thailand

If Qatar actually gets to the vote then FIFA have not done their job(4 different committees)
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old October 31st, 2010, 03:06 PM   #2780
selvovic

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
Munich's stadium isn't large enough to meet FIFA requirements for the Final. Honestly, with all of the pull AEG has in US Soccer, I just can't imagine their crown jewel stadium with a retractable roof in the heart of downtown LA, near public transportation, LA Live, Staples Center and hotels being passed over. It would be a gem of a stadium in the heart of the country's second largest city, a soccer hotbed, and then AEG exerts some of their influence.
Quote:
It went to the capital for capacity reasons. Munich Olympic Stadium, though theoretically similar in capacity (assuming upgrades) was never chosen as a WC venue for 2006. The fact that Berlin is now one again is also an important factor.
What the hell are you talking about? Allianz Arena is a topnotch stadium, the best one in Germany, and with a capacity of nearly 70 000 it is actually bigger than the stadium which hosted the 2002 WC-final. It would have been an awesome venue for 2006 final, though the Berlin Olympiastadion was amazing as well.
selvovic no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
los angeles, united states of america, world cup