daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools
Old June 8th, 2008, 07:42 AM   #261
en1044
Unregistered User
 
en1044's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,405
Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover3 View Post
Well, it certainly didn't seem that way. I mean you actually seconded iain's post "100%" -- so how else was I to interpret that??

I generally don't let the "anti-American bias" pass. As you may have noticed, I am feisty and will fight. Actually gets my juices flowing. I'll take criticism if I think I am wrong. But not if I am not. And I'll slam it back in their face if they are wrong or unjustified.

So I have served notice that I am not going to take any old 'guff' -- and if anyone wants to play the 'sarcasm / put down' game -- then they're on.
by the "100%", i was only referring to the last part of his statement. i hate the bias just as much as you, im just tired of fighting that fight. to most people on the board im just like you: a dumb redneck lard ass who calls football soccer and likes a stadium without a roof...i think the best way to fight the bias is by straight information, which you give, but as soon as you call names you lose all credibility. just be the bigger person IMO No nonsense arguing seems to be above most people on the board
en1044 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 8th, 2008, 07:50 AM   #262
rover3
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 562
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1044 View Post
by the "100%", i was only referring to the last part of his statement. i hate the bias just as much as you, im just tired of fighting that fight. to most people on the board im just like you: a dumb redneck lard ass who calls football soccer and likes a stadium without a roof...i think the best way to fight the bias is by straight information, which you give, but as soon as you call names you lose all credibility. just be the bigger person IMO No nonsense arguing seems to be above most people on the board
But they'll slip in a little dig or so. And I just don't put up with that kind of sh*t. I'm a college grad -- as you can probably tell -- speak at least 3 languages, have lived in France and the Philippines, so I'm no neophyte.

ANd I've actually worked on 2 Olympic Organizing Committees -- and on 2 others that got nowhere. So I know a thing or two about these matters. I wonder how many of these yahoos have anything approaching that? And maybe I just should NOT share insider info that I know of -- and let all these 'wannabees' think they know the world, huh?

Last edited by rover3; June 8th, 2008 at 07:55 AM.
rover3 no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2008, 12:36 PM   #263
flierfy
Registered User
 
flierfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,882
Likes (Received): 296

I didn't want the USA to host the World Cup before and after reading this thread I want it even less. Americans give a damn shit about the game. They just want the WC because its size and the vibrancy that illuminates the host nation.

No-one doubts that a World Cup in the USA would be bigger and more profitable than any tournament before. But I fear it would be as soulless and without a trace of passion as it was in 1994.

I watch football since the mid 1980s and 1994 WC was by far the worst I can remember. Flashy sunlight, quiet crowds and not a single game that stands out. On top of that the vice-president to hand over the trophy. The 1994 WC revealed the USA don't care about football. So shouldn't football care about the USA ever again.
__________________
Rippachtal.de
flierfy no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2008, 06:13 PM   #264
shadyunltd
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Quebec
Posts: 150
Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
I didn't want the USA to host the World Cup before and after reading this thread I want it even less. Americans give a damn shit about the game. They just want the WC because its size and the vibrancy that illuminates the host nation.

No-one doubts that a World Cup in the USA would be bigger and more profitable than any tournament before. But I fear it would be as soulless and without a trace of passion as it was in 1994.

I watch football since the mid 1980s and 1994 WC was by far the worst I can remember. Flashy sunlight, quiet crowds and not a single game that stands out. On top of that the vice-president to hand over the trophy. The 1994 WC revealed the USA don't care about football. So shouldn't football care about the USA ever again.
ROFL.

Quote:
The average attendance for the tournament was 69,000 while the total attendance was 3.6 million. The 1994 World Cup holds the record for the highest attendance in World Cup history. It was also the highest-attended single sport sporting event in United States history.
Seriously, they can be as good as anybody. Plus, the majority of the people that go see the game are fans of the teams, not the citizens of the host country.

So, because the VP handed the trophy, this meant that they didn't care. Football is still a sport, as far as I can remember.

Austria and Switzerland, two countries that have nothing to do with football are hosting Euro 2008. They don't have "the passion" or something and they are still hosting. Damn, every nation wants to host the games because of the
Quote:
size and the vibrancy that illuminates the host nation.
What about South Korea and Japan. Football nations? Let me laugh.
shadyunltd no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2008, 07:21 PM   #265
HUSKER
NUEVO ESTADO DE LA LAGUNA
 
HUSKER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: TORREON, ESTADO DE LA LAGUNA
Posts: 1,596
Likes (Received): 418

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
I didn't want the USA to host the World Cup before and after reading this thread I want it even less. Americans give a damn shit about the game. They just want the WC because its size and the vibrancy that illuminates the host nation.

No-one doubts that a World Cup in the USA would be bigger and more profitable than any tournament before. But I fear it would be as soulless and without a trace of passion as it was in 1994.

I watch football since the mid 1980s and 1994 WC was by far the worst I can remember. Flashy sunlight, quiet crowds and not a single game that stands out. On top of that the vice-president to hand over the trophy. The 1994 WC revealed the USA don't care about football. So shouldn't football care about the USA ever again.
what nonsense., the worst wc that i have seen was italy 90., empty (and crappy) stadiums, shitty games. that wc revealed that the italians only cared for their team, after that, nothing.
__________________
NO AL PAGO DE IMPUESTOS!!!
HUSKER no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2008, 07:28 PM   #266
Carrerra
Registered User
 
Carrerra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pohang
Posts: 1,452
Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
I didn't want the USA to host the World Cup before and after reading this thread I want it even less. Americans give a damn shit about the game. They just want the WC because its size and the vibrancy that illuminates the host nation.

No-one doubts that a World Cup in the USA would be bigger and more profitable than any tournament before. But I fear it would be as soulless and without a trace of passion as it was in 1994.

I watch football since the mid 1980s and 1994 WC was by far the worst I can remember. Flashy sunlight, quiet crowds and not a single game that stands out. On top of that the vice-president to hand over the trophy. The 1994 WC revealed the USA don't care about football. So shouldn't football care about the USA ever again.
The 1994 USA WC set a attendance record. But that's not because the US has the biggest passion for football but because the US has the biggest number of immigrants. Most of Americans then didn't even know World Cup was being held in their country.
Carrerra no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2008, 07:35 PM   #267
HUSKER
NUEVO ESTADO DE LA LAGUNA
 
HUSKER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: TORREON, ESTADO DE LA LAGUNA
Posts: 1,596
Likes (Received): 418

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrerra View Post
The 1994 USA WC set a attendance record. But that's not because the US has the biggest passion for football but because the US has the biggest number of immigrants. Most of Americans then didn't even know World Cup was being held in their country.
That's half true (even so, where did you get that info??)., Most of those "immigrants" are, in fact, US citizens.
__________________
NO AL PAGO DE IMPUESTOS!!!
HUSKER no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2008, 07:58 PM   #268
Carrerra
Registered User
 
Carrerra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pohang
Posts: 1,452
Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyunltd View Post
What about South Korea and Japan. Football nations? Let me laugh.
At least in Korea and Japan there is never such a case that most of people don't know FIFA World Cup is being held in their country
Carrerra no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2008, 09:13 PM   #269
Indiana Jones
Top Gear is back!
 
Indiana Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Gramercy / London at times
Posts: 125
Likes (Received): 1

delete, nevermind.
Indiana Jones no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2008, 09:43 PM   #270
en1044
Unregistered User
 
en1044's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,405
Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrerra View Post
The 1994 USA WC set a attendance record. But that's not because the US has the biggest passion for football but because the US has the biggest number of immigrants. Most of Americans then didn't even know World Cup was being held in their country.
Dude, now your giving false information...stop with the anti american bias here it got old a long time ago.
en1044 no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2008, 09:46 PM   #271
en1044
Unregistered User
 
en1044's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,405
Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrerra View Post
At least in Korea and Japan there is never such a case that most of people don't know FIFA World Cup is being held in their country
You are just like every other person who didnt grow up here. You think that you know eberything about my country because its in the news all the time or people always talk about it...you need to stop it man, no one is going to believe you. the immigrant population had NOTHING to do with the attendance, and this is not arguable
en1044 no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2008, 10:23 PM   #272
rover3
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 562
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrerra View Post
The 1994 USA WC set a attendance record. But that's not because the US has the biggest passion for football but because the US has the biggest number of immigrants. Most of Americans then didn't even know World Cup was being held in their country.
As usual, a stupid, ignorant post. Ho-hum.
rover3 no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2008, 10:38 PM   #273
kamilo
MUSE
 
kamilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bogota - Tallahassee
Posts: 458
Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyunltd View Post

What about South Korea and Japan. Football nations? Let me laugh.
This just shows your ignorance, football is the most popular sport in South Korea, and the second most popular in Japan only after baseball.
__________________
The market is the people
The people are the market
kamilo no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2008, 11:25 PM   #274
rover3
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 562
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilo View Post
and the second most popular in Japan only after baseball.
Uhmmm ... Sumo wrestling, volleyball and sex are up there in Japanese sports -- above football.
rover3 no está en línea  
Old June 9th, 2008, 12:20 AM   #275
kamilo
MUSE
 
kamilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bogota - Tallahassee
Posts: 458
Likes (Received): 46

sex is not a sport last time i checked, and football is definitely more popular than Volleyball in Japan, almost as much as baseball.
__________________
The market is the people
The people are the market
kamilo no está en línea  
Old June 9th, 2008, 01:14 AM   #276
flierfy
Registered User
 
flierfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,882
Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1044 View Post
stop with the anti american bias here it got old a long time ago.
If you don't want anti-American bias then tell your fellow Americans to stop writing such extremely arrogant comments like that:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasbrink
ya, and once a player is out, he cant come back in, which is a another stupid rule. And why cant they stop the clock when the ball goes out of bounds or there are corner kicks or penalty kicks? it makes no since and confuses you as to how many minutes are actually left, the officials are left to "Guess" on how many minutes were wasted. I could fix soccer for americans in 1 hour
__________________
Rippachtal.de

Last edited by flierfy; June 9th, 2008 at 01:18 AM. Reason: rtwgrt
flierfy no está en línea  
Old June 9th, 2008, 01:28 AM   #277
Indiana Jones
Top Gear is back!
 
Indiana Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Gramercy / London at times
Posts: 125
Likes (Received): 1

Extremely arrogant haha. Little thin skinned are we? Dallasbrink doesn't know jack about football and doesn't care about football. So he doesn't like a part of the game? So what. I can dig up plenty or "extremely arrogant" comments about American football regarding game stoppage, pads, measuring yards, supporters, etc. Chill out. Some people don't understand or like certain sports.

And this kind American used football instead of soccer in this post.

Back to watching Euro 08.
Indiana Jones no está en línea  
Old June 9th, 2008, 01:37 AM   #278
en1044
Unregistered User
 
en1044's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,405
Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
If you don't want anti-American bias then tell your fellow Americans to stop writing such extremely arrogant comments like that:
So when a guy gets angry because the entire world seems to hate his country i guess he should just be quiet and not say anything
en1044 no está en línea  
Old June 9th, 2008, 01:41 AM   #279
Carrerra
Registered User
 
Carrerra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pohang
Posts: 1,452
Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover3 View Post
Uhmmm ... Sumo wrestling, volleyball and sex are up there in Japanese sports -- above football.
Football is less popular than volleyball in Japan????????? Hey you ignorant, volleyball can't show this kind of thing in Japan, so can't even baseball

















If you wonder WTF Japanese are crazy about, find out just a part of Urawa Red Diamonds and its supporters on internet and youtube. That alone will change your thoughts about sports popularity in Japan fundamentally

Last edited by Carrerra; June 16th, 2008 at 04:09 AM.
Carrerra no está en línea  
Old June 9th, 2008, 02:05 AM   #280
Carrerra
Registered User
 
Carrerra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pohang
Posts: 1,452
Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Jones View Post
Extremely arrogant haha. Little thin skinned are we? Dallasbrink doesn't know jack about football and doesn't care about football. So he doesn't like a part of the game? So what. I can dig up plenty or "extremely arrogant" comments about American football regarding game stoppage, pads, measuring yards, supporters, etc. Chill out. Some people don't understand or like certain sports.

And this kind American used football instead of soccer in this post.

Back to watching Euro 08.
Watching Euro 08, don't wonder why Europeans play football without using hands and wearing protectors
Carrerra no está en línea  


Closed Thread

Tags
los angeles, united states of america, world cup

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu