daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old November 8th, 2010, 09:52 PM   #2861
AndreasBerlin

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaJones View Post
The FIFA inspection team were going to the sites on VAN's. They did not use any public transport.

Bill Clint will go to Zurich to make the final push for the US bid.
Excellent point.

http://www.worldfootballinsider.com/Story.aspx?id=33872

We hope Morgan Freeman will also go to Zurich.
To clarify my question, how much public transport is there associated with the US stadia? The Inspectors said this was a problem that they saw.

And why is Clinton going to Zurich instead of Obama??? How is Clinton going to compete when all the other bids will have their current head of state there?
AndreasBerlin no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old November 8th, 2010, 10:00 PM   #2862
slipperydog

Likes (Received): 2401

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasBerlin View Post
To clarify my question, how much public transport is there associated with the US stadia? The Inspectors said this was a problem that they saw.
Of the 12 most likely host cities, only two (Dallas and Miami) don't currently have rail transport. And the bid committee toured those two stadiums, so that's why they pointed that out. If you toured four stadiums, and half of them didn't have rail transport, you might be inclined to believe that public transportation is a problem across the country, but the fact is that all the other stadiums do have rail access.

Quote:
And why is Clinton going to Zurich instead of Obama??? How is Clinton going to compete when all the other bids will have their current head of state there?
Overall, Obama's stock has dropped. And Clinton is more likable and more persuasive.
slipperydog no está en línea  
Old November 8th, 2010, 10:29 PM   #2863
Kobo

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
Of the 12 most likely host cities, only two (Dallas and Miami) don't currently have rail transport. And the bid committee toured those two stadiums, so that's why they pointed that out. If you toured four stadiums, and half of them didn't have rail transport, you might be inclined to believe that public transportation is a problem across the country, but the fact is that all the other stadiums do have rail access.

Overall, Obama's stock has dropped. And Clinton is more likable and more persuasive.
Which were the other two stadiums they toured? Also Obama is doing a long tour of Asia at the moment, so I think if he were to show up in Zurich Fox news would spin it against him.
Kobo no está en línea  
Old November 8th, 2010, 11:26 PM   #2864
Bossman1

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by massp88 View Post
I understand it's the World Cup. I have been to 3 World Cups, guy.

You are not going to see 30,000 Croatians, both from the U.S. and abroad flock to Indianapolis to watch Croatia play.
Just saw this now so sorry if I am late with the comment.
But you're right. It wouldn't 30,000 Croats, it would be 40,000 Croats.
I went to catch some of the Euro 2008 and friends went to World Cup 2006. believe me, Croatia is one of the more supported teams. They have a massive traveling contingent, despite the small country population.
Bossman1 no está en línea  
Old November 8th, 2010, 11:29 PM   #2865
MysteryMike
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaJones View Post
The FIFA inspection team were going to the sites on VAN's. They did not use any public transport.

Bill Clint will go to Zurich to make the final push for the US bid.
Excellent point.

http://www.worldfootballinsider.com/Story.aspx?id=33872

We hope Morgan Freeman will also go to Zurich.
We all know why these 2 are going to Zurich but it ain't to support the US bid

MysteryMike no está en línea  
Old November 8th, 2010, 11:33 PM   #2866
slipperydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobo View Post
Which were the other two stadiums they toured? Also Obama is doing a long tour of Asia at the moment, so I think if he were to show up in Zurich Fox news would spin it against him.
I believe they also toured Houston and New York.
Old November 9th, 2010, 12:33 AM   #2867
AndreasBerlin

Quote:

So the US bid will have to spend money to bring them up to standard...?

Obama is the President! How are the US going to compete in Zurich when the other bids' leaders who write the cheques are the ones doing the lobbying? Every other head of state has confirmed they will be in Zurich lobbying. That is surely a bad look for the US!
Old November 9th, 2010, 12:38 AM   #2868
slipperydog

Quote:
Yes, like all the other 2022 countries. But this is only for two out of 12 cities.

Quote:
Obama is the President! How are the US going to compete in Zurich when the other bids' leaders who write the cheques are the ones doing the lobbying? Every other head of state has confirmed they will be in Zurich lobbying. That is surely a bad look for the US!
You might be right, hard to know though. The US is still a very strong bid, with or without Obama at the final presentation.
Old November 9th, 2010, 12:42 AM   #2869
_X_

Likes (Received): 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobo View Post
Why is he doing a long tour of Asia??
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old November 9th, 2010, 01:29 AM   #2870
AndreasBerlin

Quote:
Yes, like all the other 2022 countries. But this is only for two out of 12 cities.

You might be right, hard to know though. The US is still a very strong bid, with or without Obama at the final presentation.
You missed my subtle wording. I said the US bid, not the Country. How is a privately run bid with private money going to pay for public infrastructure when the US Government isn't financially supporting the bid??

We all remember what happened at Atlanta when a privately funded Olympics was held, don't we? Athletes had to hijack buses in order to make their events on time. It was an utter shambles!

A key difference between a privately financed bid and a publicly financed bid is that with a privately financed bid those giving the money are out to make a profit and therefore save costs. All of the other bids; Qatar, Australia, Japan and Sth Korea are all out to nation bid.

Even my nation in 2006 saw massive change, primarily through Government investment in infrastructure, like public transport
Old November 9th, 2010, 01:48 AM   #2871
slipperydog

Quote:
You missed my subtle wording. I said the US bid, not the Country. How is a privately run bid with private money going to pay for public infrastructure when the US Government isn't financially supporting the bid??
Transportation infrastructure in the United States is handled by state and municipal governments, not the federal government.

Quote:
A key difference between a privately financed bid and a publicly financed bid is that with a privately financed bid those giving the money are out to make a profit and therefore save costs. All of the other bids; Qatar, Australia, Japan and Sth Korea are all out to nation bid.
You are missing the point, because the stadiums are already standing, a US bid will not need investment of ANY kind, public or private. There will only be minimal public investment needed.
Old November 9th, 2010, 01:53 AM   #2872
AndreasBerlin

Quote:
Transportation infrastructure in the United States is handled by state and municipal governments, not the federal government.

You are missing the point, because the stadiums are already standing, a US bid will not need investment of ANY kind, public or private. There will only be minimal public investment needed.
Isn't public transport an investment??? And how much money have those State and Municipal Governments contributed to building the transportation infrastructure?
Old November 9th, 2010, 01:55 AM   #2873
slipperydog

Quote:
Isn't public transport an investment???
Yes, but what is your point? The other 2022 bids have to invest in public transport AND stadiums. The US only has to invest in public transport for two cities. None of this has anything to do with Obama though.
Old November 9th, 2010, 04:52 AM   #2874
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

They aren't going to invest in transport anyways. Both stadiums will have fans transported there via shuttles that will depart and return to major city center areas. The buses will be operated by the local MTA's and the buses will be MTA buses, but the bid will pay for the operation of them.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old November 9th, 2010, 05:34 AM   #2875
Will737

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMike View Post
We all know why these 2 are going to Zurich but it ain't to support the US bid

DONT DISS MORGAN FREEMAN FFS. His voice has the capacity to paralyze me!
Will737 no está en línea  
Old November 9th, 2010, 06:15 AM   #2876
dfwabel

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:

Possibly. Dallas had two stadiums listed. The Cotton Bowl, a venue in 1994, does have a light rail stop nearby, but it lacks a roof. Cowboys Stadium is located in Arlington, the largest city in the US without a public transportation system.
dfwabel no está en línea  
Old November 9th, 2010, 08:12 AM   #2877
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
I know you don't have to build any stadia, but how much public transport is there to each stadium? This was something the inspectors had a problem with a few months ago
I was being sarcastic to MM's post.

And public transport is cheaper to build than a brand new stadium.
hngcm no está en línea  
Old November 9th, 2010, 08:17 AM   #2878
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
How is Clinton going to compete when all the other bids will have their current head of state there?
I'm sure more people in the world know who Clinton is than whoever the head of state of OZ or Qatar or Japan or Korea etc;

Heck probably more people recognize Morgan Freeman lol.

The United States is the most powerful and influential country in the world. People forget that.
hngcm no está en línea  
Old November 9th, 2010, 12:02 PM   #2879
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 1103

Quote:
Originally Posted by hngcm View Post
I'm sure more people in the world know who Clinton is than whoever the head of state of OZ or Qatar or Japan or Korea etc;

Heck probably more people recognize Morgan Freeman lol.

The United States is the most powerful and influential country in the world. People forget that.
Heard of Queen Elizabeth II and Emperor Akihito?
Walbanger no está en línea  
Old November 9th, 2010, 12:04 PM   #2880
ExSydney
Melbourne-Sydneysider

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by hngcm View Post
I'm sure more people in the world know who Clinton is than whoever the head of state of OZ .
thats so funny..yet so sad.
ExSydney no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
los angeles, united states of america, world cup