daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old November 9th, 2010, 12:11 PM   #2881
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walbanger View Post
Heard of Queen Elizabeth II and Emperor Akihito?

Oh hngcm
Wezza está en línea ahora  

Sponsored Links
Old November 9th, 2010, 12:26 PM   #2882
_X_

Likes (Received): 510

Quote:
oh hngcm

Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old November 9th, 2010, 01:11 PM   #2883
AndreasBerlin

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
They aren't going to invest in transport anyways. Both stadiums will have fans transported there via shuttles that will depart and return to major city center areas. The buses will be operated by the local MTA's and the buses will be MTA buses, but the bid will pay for the operation of them.
So you are saying that the US bid doesn't fully meet all of FIFA requirements??

Do you remember what happened at the Atlanta Olmypics with their busses?
AndreasBerlin no está en línea  
Old November 9th, 2010, 01:15 PM   #2884
AndreasBerlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hngcm View Post
I'm sure more people in the world know who Clinton is than whoever the head of state of OZ or Qatar or Japan or Korea etc;

Heck probably more people recognize Morgan Freeman lol.

The United States is the most powerful and influential country in the world. People forget that.
The problem is that all the bids are competing to demonstrate to FIFA that their Government is fully behind the bid. All the other bids will have the leader of their Government present in Zurich, the US wont. Putting the US bid at a distinct disadvantage
Old November 9th, 2010, 01:20 PM   #2885
AndreasBerlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
Yes, but what is your point? The other 2022 bids have to invest in public transport AND stadiums. The US only has to invest in public transport for two cities. None of this has anything to do with Obama though.
My point is, where is the money going to come to develop this infrastructure? Who is going to pay and how much have they pledged to it at the moment? The US bid claims that it could host the world cup tomorrow, but in reality there is still some work to do.

Yes, all the other bids have more infrastructure to build, but they are all fully supported by their Governments who are going to pay. This is the key difference between the bids.
Old November 9th, 2010, 01:29 PM   #2886
slipperydog

Likes (Received): 2401

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasBerlin View Post
So you are saying that the US bid doesn't fully meet all of FIFA requirements??
Rail transport at every stadium is not a FIFA requirement.

Quote:
What does one city have to do with other cities in the US bid?

Quote:
All the other bids will have the leader of their Government present in Zurich, the US wont. Putting the US bid at a distinct disadvantage
I doubt you are correct, but we will see.

Quote:
My point is, where is the money going to come to develop this infrastructure? Who is going to pay and how much have they pledged to it at the moment? The US bid claims that it could host the world cup tomorrow, but in reality there is still some work to do.
There is work for everyone to do, including the US. But it's obvious they have a lot less work to do than other countries.

Quote:
Yes, all the other bids have more infrastructure to build, but they are all fully supported by their Governments who are going to pay. This is the key difference between the bids.
Like I said, funding for infrastructure will come from local governments. Keep in mind, South Africa and Brazil's governments also "guaranteed" to back all infrastructure before the bid was awarded, but we see how that turned out. Any country can 'guarantee' something, but you still need the political will and the capital to make it happen.
slipperydog no está en línea  
Old November 9th, 2010, 01:35 PM   #2887
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

Quote:
This actually HELPS our bid if anything.

All the bidding countries will face this "lost economic impact."

The only difference is that the US doesn't have to spend ANY money on stadiums.

Thanks for making me more confident in our bid!

Before: The US bid makes a lot of money while other bids MIGHT break even.

After: The US bid breaks even while other bids LOSE A LOT of money!

FIFA is going to feel bad bankrupting good countries like Australia/Qatar/Japan so they'll give the "burden" of hosting a WC to the EVIL United States. Sucks for the US!
Your making the assumption that if these losses are correct they'll be reflected for all hosts.
MoreOrLess no está en línea  
Old November 9th, 2010, 02:03 PM   #2888
AndreasBerlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
Rail transport at every stadium is not a FIFA requirement.

Let me just remind you of the FIFA requirements, and I quote, "FIFA would like to emphasise that the infrastructure and facilities of the host country must be of the highest quality in order to fulfil the requirements of the world's most popular sporting event"

Are you really arguing that Mrs Crabapple driving the school bus is of the highest quality?

Quote:
What does one city have to do with other cities in the US bid?
It was a major international sporting event hosted by the US and its transport in particular was a shambles. That is what it has to do with the US bid. And if you don't remember, here is a newspaper article from the time to refresh your memory.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/OLYMPI...t…-a0111427931

Quote:
I doubt you are correct, but we will see.
I am correct. And yes we will se.

Quote:
There is work for everyone to do, including the US. But it's obvious they have a lot less work to do than other countries.
I am not arguing the amount of work, I am asking where the money is going to come from. I think we can both agree that Qatar's bid is a bit of a joke. But even though they essentially have to build all their infrastructure from scratch, they at least have the money for it.

Quote:
Like I said, funding for infrastructure will come from local governments. Keep in mind, South Africa and Brazil's governments also "guaranteed" to back all infrastructure before the bid was awarded, but we see how that turned out. Any country can 'guarantee' something, but you still need the political will and the capital to make it happen.
The country that can 'guarantee' something is in a much better position than the country that can't! So, how much have the local governments committed to upgrading transport infrastructure??
Old November 9th, 2010, 02:17 PM   #2889
slipperydog

Likes (Received): 2401

Quote:
Let me just remind you of the FIFA requirements, and I quote, "FIFA would like to emphasise that the infrastructure and facilities of the host country must be of the highest quality in order to fulfil the requirements of the world's most popular sporting event"
I will repeat, rail transport to every stadium is not a requirement. See South Africa 2010, Brazil 2014.

Quote:
It was a major international sporting event hosted by Atlanta and its transport in particular was a shambles. That is what it has to do with the Atlanta bid. And if you don't remember, here is a newspaper article from the time to refresh your memory.
Fixed your post.

Quote:
I am correct. And yes we will se.
You are correct that every head of state will be there except Obama? Please provide link.

Quote:
I am not arguing the amount of work, I am asking where the money is going to come from.
I told you, the money will come from local governments.

Quote:
The country that can 'guarantee' something is in a much better position than the country that can't!
So you would rather the USA government make grand guarantees like the Brazil government did about a fancy new high-speed rail link between Rio and Sao Paulo, and then back out because they don't have the money...maybe foreign governments work this way, but the US typically likes to know they can deliver on something before they guarantee it

Quote:
So, how much have the local governments committed to upgrading transport infrastructure??
They have committed to whatever upgrades are needed for the stadiums. At this point, there is no plan to build rail to those two stadiums. They will use a shuttle system for better or worse.
slipperydog no está en línea  
Old November 9th, 2010, 02:26 PM   #2890
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

Quote:
I'm sure more people in the world know who Clinton is than whoever the head of state of OZ or Qatar or Japan or Korea etc;

Heck probably more people recognize Morgan Freeman lol.

The United States is the most powerful and influential country in the world. People forget that.
MoreOrLess no está en línea  
Old November 9th, 2010, 07:14 PM   #2891
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 113

Andreas, are you saying that local governments in the US wouldn't have enough money to build an effective transportation system? It seems like that is what you're trying to say.
Old November 9th, 2010, 08:29 PM   #2892
Gondolier

xxx
Gondolier no está en línea  
Old November 9th, 2010, 08:39 PM   #2893
metros11

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
How are the US going to compete in Zurich when the other bids' leaders who write the cheques are the ones doing the lobbying?
Why is it so hard for you and others to understand, our leaders are not the ones writing the checks. The private sector is the one that will pay for needed improvements. And those improvements will be relatively minor when compared to any other bid. Our infrastructure is already in place.
metros11 no está en línea  
Old November 9th, 2010, 08:51 PM   #2894
metros11

Quote:
Emperor Akihito?
Who?
Old November 9th, 2010, 08:54 PM   #2895
metros11

Quote:
So you are saying that the US bid doesn't
Have you ever considered that we can improve on that? Or do you automatically assume that all private transportation is unreliable? Additionally, do you know what happened with the buses and trains in Kaiseslautern in 2006?
Old November 9th, 2010, 11:07 PM   #2896
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

Why is Atlanta continually held up as the archetypal American city?
krudmonk no está en línea  
Old November 10th, 2010, 12:05 AM   #2897
mattec

Likes (Received): 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Why is Atlanta continually held up as the archetypal American city?
because, many who post here only "assume;" they never "know." This is to say, they only look at one event or one thing and juxtapose it to the US as a whole.
mattec no está en línea  
Old November 10th, 2010, 02:55 AM   #2898
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Elizabeth II yes (and I keep forgetting that OZ has another country's head of state as their head of state).

Emperor Akihito? Ummm no.

In my opinion it's sad to see "queens" and "emperors" in this day of age.
hngcm no está en línea  
Old November 10th, 2010, 03:01 AM   #2899
hngcm

Quote:
The problem is that all the bids are competing to demonstrate to FIFA that their Government is fully behind the bid. All the other bids will have the leader of their Government present in Zurich, the US wont. Putting the US bid at a distinct disadvantage
The thing is that the US almost literally does not need the government's support for the bid.

Stadiums and roads and public transportation is all handled by the local governments as well as any new hotel construction.

Other countries are much smaller than the US so its easier for the national government to handle cities and their constructions.

It's nice to have government support (and the US does have Obama's endorsement) but it's not needed.

And honestly Obama should have something more important to do than attending that function (like you know...fixing the economy).
hngcm no está en línea  
Old November 10th, 2010, 03:03 AM   #2900
hngcm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrLess View Post
Your making the assumption that if these losses are correct they'll be reflected for all hosts.
For the 2nd time I was SARCASTICALLY answering Mystery's Mike post.

Next time I'll finish my post with [/sarcasm]
hngcm no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
los angeles, united states of america, world cup