daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old November 16th, 2010, 12:24 AM   #3021
PaulFCB
BANNED

Likes (Received): 262

Quote:
Originally Posted by soup or man View Post
Those are not solid arguments. In 2022, it would have been 28 years since the US hosted the World Cup. And considering the fact that the US has lots of different nationalities in it (not just Americans who's enthusiasm about the sport is growing), there will be no lack of atmosphere.
Yeah, but Australia never did...Japan and Korea would be extremely lame after just 2 decades + using the same 10 stadium, only this time more games on each stadium.
USA would be nice if they would have new stadiums like New Meadowlands and Cowboy Stadium and eventually something new in L.A. not the 100 year old by then, Rose Bowl or Coliseum. I've heard of a new stadium in L.A. but it looks so old for the 21st Century IMO>
Also, USA is so big, in 1994 LA and SF were so isolated far away from other hosting cities, only Dallas was a bit closer up, trips like LA to Detroit as an example were very exhausting.
PaulFCB no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old November 16th, 2010, 12:31 AM   #3022
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 867

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulFCB View Post
Yeah, but Australia never did...Japan and Korea would be extremely lame after just 2 decades + using the same 10 stadium, only this time more games on each stadium.
USA would be nice if they would have new stadiums like New Meadowlands and Cowboy Stadium and eventually something new in L.A. not the 100 year old by then, Rose Bowl or Coliseum. I've heard of a new stadium in L.A. but it looks so old for the 21st Century IMO>
Also, USA is so big, in 1994 LA and SF were so isolated far away from other hosting cities, only Dallas was a bit closer up, trips like LA to Detroit as an example were very exhausting.
You act as though 2022 is tomorrow. Things change. And so what if the LA Coliseum will be old? It was built in 1923 and is the US's most important and historic stadium. If it were to hold a World Cup game, that would put in rare air.
Old November 16th, 2010, 12:33 AM   #3023
carlspannoosh

Likes (Received): 749

1994 is still pretty recent given the relative lack of interest that there is for football in America. Loads of countries have loads of nationalities. That is neither here nor there.
I would concede that the other main candidate Australia historically also has a similar lack of interest in the sport but also like the US it does have a reputation for hosting well organised, well attended tournaments. Unlike the US though it has never hosted a World Cup before. That is a distinct advantage for the Australian bid.
As for Qatar I don't consider it a serious bid.

Last edited by carlspannoosh; November 16th, 2010 at 01:07 AM.
carlspannoosh no está en línea  
Old November 16th, 2010, 02:30 AM   #3024
SIC

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlspannoosh View Post
1994 is still pretty recent given the relative lack of interest that there is for football in America. Loads of countries have loads of nationalities. That is neither here nor there.
I would concede that the other main candidate Australia historically also has a similar lack of interest in the sport but also like the US it does have a reputation for hosting well organised, well attended tournaments. Unlike the US though it has never hosted a World Cup before. That is a distinct advantage for the Australian bid.
As for Qatar I don't consider it a serious bid.
I disagree on the "relative lack of interest" remark, especially when you analyze the growth in overall attendance in MLS, US NT team games and in the last WC ratings. It's on a upswing and another WC would propel the game to new heights in the states. But as an American, it's more of a question of "if, not when" we get another world cup. Whether it's 2022 or '26 or '30. It's just a matter of time. Theres Canada is the only other realistic host for a CONCACAF bid and their FA is a mess and FIFA would surely give the US a 2nd WC before giving Mexico a 3rd.
SIC no está en línea  
Old November 16th, 2010, 03:45 AM   #3025
MysteryMike
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

"Has Australia pulled out of the bid completely?" the president of the US Soccer Federation Sunil Gulati cheekily asked at the end of this session of the Leaders in Football Conference in London.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8100831

How the mighty have fallen. Sunil Gulati a month or so ago was laughing at opponents and putting them down, without realising what was really happening behind the scenes. Currently he is on a desperate global pitch to salvage any support what so ever for the US bid, including members of his own confederation. Australia's FA chairman Frank Lowy (owner of Westfield) and Qatar's Sheikh Hamad bin Kahlifa Al-Thani (the royal highness) have both out thought and out maneuvered him, much to his dismay Tough break Sunil, very tough break.
MysteryMike no está en línea  
Old November 16th, 2010, 04:55 AM   #3026
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMike View Post
Lets just say nobody really likes the US, except the US, much like the legacy, the support is non existent.
South Korea's FIFA executive has even recently gone to say the US bid deserves a red card for being utter pricks and Japan too feels the same way. Australia works with South Korea and Japan and both nations know how much Australia has contributed to the Asian Confederation and even their own football development. Their votes are going nowhere but Australia after the initial round.
When North Korea invades South Korea the US will just turn a blind eye then.
hngcm no está en línea  
Old November 16th, 2010, 05:14 AM   #3027
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 381

I support USA 2022 bid 100%. I hope it goes to USA.
foxmulder no está en línea  
Old November 16th, 2010, 06:01 AM   #3028
mattec

Likes (Received): 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulFCB View Post
USA would be nice if they would have new stadiums like New Meadowlands and Cowboy Stadium and eventually something new in L.A. not the 100 year old by then, Rose Bowl or Coliseum. I've heard of a new stadium in L.A. but it looks so old for the 21st Century IMO
Who cares if the Rose Bowl or the Coliseum are old, The Rose Bowl is undergoing a major renovation and the Coliseum will likely have a renovation between now and 2022... Besides, the Rose Bowl and Coliseum look better than 99% of that new futuristic looking crap being built in Europe and Asia.
mattec no está en línea  
Old November 16th, 2010, 06:14 AM   #3029
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 867

I actually went to the Coliseum today (because I was bored) and rode my bike up to the peristyle (you can get VERY close to the stadium unlike many other stadiums). The Coliseum needs to be renovated but at the same time, if the World Cup were to be held today, the Coliseum would still be up to par with today's stadiums. And I'm not just saying that just because I live in Los Angeles. The Coliseum has history unlike many other American or even global stadiums. It's going to be around forever.

One other thing that I didn't even know was there: On either side of the main arch are 2 huge stones. One is from the Olympic stadium in Athens (the old one) and the other is from the Roman Coliseum.
Old November 16th, 2010, 06:44 AM   #3030
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

The Coliseum has great history, but it's hundreds of millions of dollars of renovation away from being close to a viable World Cup venue.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old November 16th, 2010, 07:29 AM   #3031
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

Yeah the final will probably be held in the new Meadowlands Stadium or a new DC stadium.
hngcm no está en línea  
Old November 16th, 2010, 12:02 PM   #3032
carlspannoosh

Likes (Received): 749

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIC View Post
I disagree on the "relative lack of interest" remark, especially when you analyze the growth in overall attendance in MLS, US NT team games and in the last WC ratings. It's on a upswing and another WC would propel the game to new heights in the states. But as an American, it's more of a question of "if, not when" we get another world cup. Whether it's 2022 or '26 or '30. It's just a matter of time. Theres Canada is the only other realistic host for a CONCACAF bid and their FA is a mess and FIFA would surely give the US a 2nd WC before giving Mexico a 3rd.
Simply, what I am saying is that I think there are 2 serious bids for 2022, Australia and USA. When comparing the 2 bids the main advantage Australia has over the US is that it has never held a World Cup before. That advantage could be countered by a bid from a country that had a greater historical involvment in game than Australia but that wouldn't really apply in the US case.
Given that stadiums, attendance, organisation etc would not be an issue with either bid the argument is tipped slightly towards Australia in my opinion.
carlspannoosh no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
los angeles, united states of america, world cup