daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 26th, 2008, 06:28 AM   #461
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

I don't think not having a good rail network would affect the US bid that much.

Fans could just use the cheap airlines (southwest, jetblue, etc.

Hell, to go from San Diego to San Francisco, its the same price to fly and much faster than taking the train ($69/3 hours vs $65/9 hours).

Longer distances? Flying is cheaper and much faster.

I don't think it would affect it at all due to all the cheap airlines here, a bullet train network would only clinch it for sure.
hngcm no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 3rd, 2008, 01:39 AM   #462
Solanis_Rep

Likes (Received): 0

Well, this is gonna be a shameless plug, but here goes.

You guys talked about LA quite a bit already, but I say, why even bother with LA anymore? They got their chance in '94, it's time to let other cities take a crack at it. People don't seem to think about it, but San Diego should be considered instead of LA.

I mean c'mon, San Diego is so much better than LA. First of all, the weather would be much better for fans and players. Beautiful weather is almost guaranteed (well, except for the morning overcast, June gloom anyone?). Beautiful sun, nice ocean breeze. Temps in the 70's. No other city can replicate this.

And the Chargers seem to be really giving Chula Vista a chance to let them build a new stadium there. And if they ended up building on the bay site, it would be a perfect location, as there would be access to the freeway and San Diego Trolley right next door, both of which lead straight to downtown, where most of the hotels are (especially the expensive ones).

Downtown itself would be a perfect venue for fans to hang out in. The Gaslamp Quarter would host the fan zone, with game viewing areas, loads of restaurants and bars. Also at the Gaslamp we have Horton Plaza Shopping Centre, so fans could go shopping in the meantime. There's the Convention center and Petco Park, both great potential areas for fan zones. Then there are loads of hotel rooms in downtown, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriot, Westgate, Westin, W Hotel, all of them there. Let's not forget that downtown is situated on San Diego Bay, so there's also that attraction (including eclectic Seaport Village). From downtown it's a short hop up to Balboa Park, a large central city park much like Central Park in NY, with Spanish Revival architecture, home of the famous San Diego Zoo, and loads of museums and beautiful scenery. If fans can't get enough of that, then they can take the Trolley or bus up to Mission Valley, where they have even more shopping, and access to Seaworld. Then there's the beach communities of Mission Beach, Pacific Beach, and even La Jolla, all with beautiful beaches and attractions. All of which would be either accessible by relatively short bus rides, or (as is currently planned) a new Trolley line extension up to La Jolla.

Honestly guys, San Diego has so much to offer within downtown and the bayfront/oceanfront, all accessible by freeways/busses/Trolley, that's it's practically a no brainer. And great weather to boot.

Honestly, LA is so overrated. It's just a hodgepodge of vastly scattered communities, and really smoggy air, and horrible traffic, that I don't see how you can choose it over San Diego, which is so much more visitor/athlete friendly. Just 'cause it's really big? What can of criterium is that? If you really want to use the WC to promote some other American cities outside of the well known ones of Boston, NY, LA, Washington, Chicago, etc., then San Diego is the perfect candidate to show off what kind of a gem it really is. America's Finest City.

Of course, the only "if's" would be a still-to-be-built new stadium, and the question of the airport. Lindbergh Field, though conveniently located next to downtown, has only one runway, and so far attempts to find another site for a new airport have failed. If you couldn't build a new airport, ultimately you could try to squeeze as much out of Lindbergh as you could by adding more gates, though I don't know if that would be adequate.

Other than that, it's perfect. End plug.
Solanis_Rep no está en línea  
Old July 3rd, 2008, 03:10 AM   #463
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solanis_Rep View Post

You guys talked about LA quite a bit already, but I say, why even bother with LA anymore? They got their chance in '94, it's time to let other cities take a crack at it. People don't seem to think about it, but San Diego should be considered instead of LA.

I mean c'mon, San Diego is so much better than LA. First of all, the weather would be much better for fans and players. Beautiful weather is almost guaranteed (well, except for the morning overcast, June gloom anyone?). Beautiful sun, nice ocean breeze. Temps in the 70's. No other city can replicate this.

And the Chargers seem to be really giving Chula Vista a chance to let them build a new stadium there. And if they ended up building on the bay site, it would be a perfect location, as there would be access to the freeway and San Diego Trolley right next door, both of which lead straight to downtown, where most of the hotels are (especially the expensive ones).

Downtown itself would be a perfect venue for fans to hang out in. The Gaslamp Quarter would host the fan zone, with game viewing areas, loads of restaurants and bars. Also at the Gaslamp we have Horton Plaza Shopping Centre, so fans could go shopping in the meantime. There's the Convention center and Petco Park, both great potential areas for fan zones. Then there are loads of hotel rooms in downtown, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriot, Westgate, Westin, W Hotel, all of them there. Let's not forget that downtown is situated on San Diego Bay, so there's also that attraction (including eclectic Seaport Village). From downtown it's a short hop up to Balboa Park, a large central city park much like Central Park in NY, with Spanish Revival architecture, home of the famous San Diego Zoo, and loads of museums and beautiful scenery. If fans can't get enough of that, then they can take the Trolley or bus up to Mission Valley, where they have even more shopping, and access to Seaworld. Then there's the beach communities of Mission Beach, Pacific Beach, and even La Jolla, all with beautiful beaches and attractions. All of which would be either accessible by relatively short bus rides, or (as is currently planned) a new Trolley line extension up to La Jolla.

Honestly guys, San Diego has so much to offer within downtown and the bayfront/oceanfront, all accessible by freeways/busses/Trolley, that's it's practically a no brainer. And great weather to boot.

Honestly, LA is so overrated. It's just a hodgepodge of vastly scattered communities, and really smoggy air, and horrible traffic, that I don't see how you can choose it over San Diego, which is so much more visitor/athlete friendly. Just 'cause it's really big? What can of criterium is that? If you really want to use the WC to promote some other American cities outside of the well known ones of Boston, NY, LA, Washington, Chicago, etc., then San Diego is the perfect candidate to show off what kind of a gem it really is. America's Finest City.

Of course, the only "if's" would be a still-to-be-built new stadium, and the question of the airport. Lindbergh Field, though conveniently located next to downtown, has only one runway, and so far attempts to find another site for a new airport have failed. If you couldn't build a new airport, ultimately you could try to squeeze as much out of Lindbergh as you could by adding more gates, though I don't know if that would be adequate.

they arent really going to care about san diego, its in a smaller market and doesnt have as much an appeal to foreign travelers. All that equals less money
en1044 no está en línea  
Old July 3rd, 2008, 04:57 AM   #464
Solanis_Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1044 View Post
they arent really going to care about san diego, its in a smaller market and doesnt have as much an appeal to foreign travelers. All that equals less money
Please, what a rediculous argument. The same could be said about Tampa, Indianapolis, or Phoenix (or Tempe, whatever). Smaller market for what? Local fans? Please, Mexico is right over the border and there's certainly enough Latin American fans in San Diego for soccer interest and if any Latin American teams were to play in SD. And there's certainly enough interest in soccer in general in SD (and certainly no less than in any other American city for that matter) for local fans.

Oh, but of course, we couldn't possibly bother LA residents to have to drive down or take Amtrak to SD. No, that would be too much.

And as for foreign travelers, what do they care? They'll go where their team is going to play, be it Dallas, Denver or San Diego. Let me remind you of some of the venues in Germany two years ago. Kaiserslautern? Dortmund? Geselkirchen? Anybody outside of Europe heard of these places? Probably not, but people went there anyway.

The exact reason why San Diego doesn't have foreign appeal, as you believe, is because it hasn't had a chance to show itself off internationally. This would be a great opportunity to rectify that problem. This would be a huge boon for San Diego. If you make it a venue, you'll force visitors to go there, and let them discover what it has to offer. And if you advertise what it has to offer to FIFA, I mean truly all the benefits, I doubt it would be thrown off the table.

If you've ever been to San Diego, you would know what I'm talking about. And I'm not talking about San Diego ten or fifteen years ago. Over that time San Diego has changed dramatically, certainly for the better.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 05:03 AM   #465
en1044
Unregistered User

Quote:
Please, what a rediculous argument. The same could be said about Tampa, Indianapolis, or Phoenix (or Tempe, whatever). Smaller market for what? Local fans? Please, Mexico is right over the border and there's certainly enough Latin American fans in San Diego for soccer interest and if any Latin American teams were to play in SD. And there's certainly enough interest in soccer in general in SD (and certainly no less than in any other American city for that matter) for local fans.

Oh, but of course, we couldn't possibly bother LA residents to have to drive down or take Amtrak to SD. No, that would be too much.

And as for foreign travelers, what do they care? They'll go where their team is going to play, be it Dallas, Denver or San Diego. Let me remind you of some of the venues in Germany two years ago. Kaiserslautern? Dortmund? Geselkirchen? Anybody outside of Europe heard of these places? Probably not, but people went there anyway.

The exact reason why San Diego doesn't have foreign appeal, as you believe, is because it hasn't had a chance to show itself off internationally. This would be a great opportunity to rectify that problem. This would be a huge boon for San Diego. If you make it a venue, you'll force visitors to go there, and let them discover what it has to offer. And if you advertise what it has to offer to FIFA, I mean truly all the benefits, I doubt it would be thrown off the table.

If you've ever been to San Diego, you would know what I'm talking about. And I'm not talking about San Diego ten or fifteen years ago. Over that time San Diego has changed dramatically, certainly for the better.
no not a ridiculous argument, the fact is that a WC match would never go to San Diego, and the points I listed are valid. LA is a more attractive city than San Diego and thats all that matters. Theres no way that they would pass up a market like LA for SD. Maybe you think im being stupid but read this board long enough and youll know what im talking about.

And for your Germany argument, remember that they dont have as big of markets or as many stadiums as we do, they held matches in the cities with the biggest stadiums. We have options, so we can choose cities like Phoenix, but LA is a obvious choice.

And i used to live in SD and still go there every summer to visit my uncle. My entire family is from CA. I know of what i speak.

Last edited by en1044; July 3rd, 2008 at 05:12 AM.
en1044 no está en línea  
Old July 3rd, 2008, 05:33 AM   #466
Solanis_Rep

Quote:
no not a ridiculous argument, the fact is that a WC match would never go to San Diego, and the points I listed are valid. LA is a more attractive city than San Diego and thats all that matters. Theres no way that they would pass up a market like LA for SD. Maybe you think im being stupid but read this board long enough and youll know what im talking about.

And for your Germany argument, remember that they dont have as big of markets or as many stadiums as we do, they held matches in the cities with the biggest stadiums. We have options, so we can choose cities like Phoenix, but LA is a obvious choice.

And i used to live in SD and still go there every summer to visit my uncle. My entire family is from CA. I know of what i speak.

First of all, I have been reading this board long enough. It took me a while to finally get around to writing something.

Second, though it is somewhat of a different animal, San Diego has already hosted three successful Super Bowls.

And what market, specifically, are you talking about? Sure, LA has a larger population than San Diego, but then again, that goes for every other American city except New York. But so what? Tell me what it is specifically, that LA has to offer? How is LA more attractive?

And as for Phoenix, what a lame choice that would be. People from Phoenix come to San Diego to have fun.
Old July 4th, 2008, 08:38 PM   #467
rover3
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

#1 - San Diego DOESN'T EVEN HAVE an international airport!!

Beautiful and serene and ALL THAT doesn't automatically qualify it for consideration for a final match of something as globally special as a WC final. Superbowls are an entirely American thing -- which does not really translate globally.

#2 - Also, FIFA will have a say in it. They will probably say no. They want their finals in or around the capital city or major metro area.

#3 - San Diego cannot match the quantity and quality of accommodations that LA or NYC or the SF Bay Area has to offer for something as important as the finals.

#4 - the West Coast had the last one. They try to alternate these things. have you looked at how they award the host sites for the annual US Figure Skating Championships? Study that.

If you're thinking BEAUTIFUL, well, why not Lake Como or Lugano -- 2 of the most beautiful spots on earth? BECAUSE THEY DO NOT HAVE THE IMPORTANCE NOR ARE THEY MAJOR METRO AREAS THAT HAVE THE INFRASTRUCTURE TO SUPPORT SUCH A LARGE EVENT.

Where do you think they held the finals of the last Euro Cup? In Vienna - the capital of Austria, the larger of the 2 host countries. Not in the more beautiful Salzburg, Zurich or Basel -- but in the major metro city of Vienna because it is the capital AND the major metro area of the hosting region. That's why.

Last edited by rover3; July 4th, 2008 at 08:48 PM.
rover3 no está en línea  
Old July 4th, 2008, 08:46 PM   #468
Carrerra

Likes (Received): 22

Hi, comrade. It's really nice to see you again. That fxxxing downtime has stopped us from meeting soooo long!
Carrerra no está en línea  
Old July 4th, 2008, 10:29 PM   #469
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

The only way I could see San Diego getting chosen over LA is if San Diego got a new stadium and L.A. didn't (hard to think of LA not getting a new stadium in 10-15 years). It has nothing to do with San Diego not being desirable, nice, or good enough as much as it is just about sheer market size. If the stadiums are roughly equal then in most cases one would figure that games will go to a substantially larger metros' in a given region.

It is the same reason why the chances of Indy will not get a selection from the Midwest or Baltimore from the east region when there are a larger neighbors who are more then capable.
Old July 4th, 2008, 11:46 PM   #470
en1044
Unregistered User

Quote:
First of all, I have been reading this board long enough. It took me a while to finally get around to writing something.

Second, though it is somewhat of a different animal, San Diego has already hosted three successful Super Bowls.

And what market, specifically, are you talking about? Sure, LA has a larger population than San Diego, but then again, that goes for every other American city except New York. But so what? Tell me what it is specifically, that LA has to offer? How is LA more attractive?

And as for Phoenix, what a lame choice that would be. People from Phoenix come to San Diego to have fun.

Ok, it hosted a Super Bowl, that doesnt mean anything. Jacksonville hosted one, you think theyre gonna host a match? The fact is that the most desirable cities are going to get the games. The fact that you cant accept that LA is a bigger market than SD shows that your entire argument is biased and you arent looking at the facts. I am not saying that SD wouldnt be able to host a good WC match, just that LA would be a better option. LA has a larger public transportation system, a larger airport with more international destinations and is easier accessed by major roads. Due to the proximity of the cities, SD gets left out. Thats just how it is.
en1044 no está en línea  
Old July 5th, 2008, 05:38 AM   #471
hngcm

Is this guy arguing that San Diego should be picked over LA for the WC final?

Crazy...

It'll probably be in DC, either in FedEx Field or a new stadium.

Anyways, I think if the Chargers get a new stadium within the next couple of years, then San Diego for sure will be a host city. At least I'm hoping...

The host cities as I see it...

Last edited by hngcm; July 5th, 2008 at 05:45 AM.
hngcm no está en línea  
Old July 6th, 2008, 06:57 AM   #472
djm19

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by massp88 View Post
I think for the most part the US will handle the incoming traffic very well. Some people coming from Europe might be a little shocked if they go to cities such as LA that has next to no public transportation.

If the exchange rate for the dollar to the pound and the Euro stays constant, who knows if it will, but if it is anywhere near what it is today, I would expect thousands and thousands of Europeans to come to the U.S. in addition to those already living here.
Well, seeing as LA has already hosted the FIFA final, i doubt there is much shock to be had. Not to mention, we are talking about 2022, or even beyond. LA is actively adding new lines. 2 are being built now, and a connector, another line, and several extensions are already in the planning. By the time the US *might* host FIFA, LA will have a pretty adequate system. Will it be insufficient enough for residents to go all over the city? No. But more foreign travelers, more than enough. Plus the HSR line would be built by then, if things go well this november.
djm19 no está en línea  
Old July 6th, 2008, 07:15 AM   #473
hngcm

yeah, inadequate public transportation wasn't much of a problem in '94, doubt it'll be in '22
hngcm no está en línea  
Old July 6th, 2008, 08:07 AM   #474
Solanis_Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover3 View Post
#1 - San Diego DOESN'T EVEN HAVE an international airport!!

Beautiful and serene and ALL THAT doesn't automatically qualify it for consideration for a final match of something as globally special as a WC final. Superbowls are an entirely American thing -- which does not really translate globally.

#2 - Also, FIFA will have a say in it. They will probably say no. They want their finals in or around the capital city or major metro area.

#3 - San Diego cannot match the quantity and quality of accommodations that LA or NYC or the SF Bay Area has to offer for something as important as the finals.

#4 - the West Coast had the last one. They try to alternate these things. have you looked at how they award the host sites for the annual US Figure Skating Championships? Study that.

If you're thinking BEAUTIFUL, well, why not Lake Como or Lugano -- 2 of the most beautiful spots on earth? BECAUSE THEY DO NOT HAVE THE IMPORTANCE NOR ARE THEY MAJOR METRO AREAS THAT HAVE THE INFRASTRUCTURE TO SUPPORT SUCH A LARGE EVENT.

Where do you think they held the finals of the last Euro Cup? In Vienna - the capital of Austria, the larger of the 2 host countries. Not in the more beautiful Salzburg, Zurich or Basel -- but in the major metro city of Vienna because it is the capital AND the major metro area of the hosting region. That's why.
False. International yes (we used to have service to London via British Airways a few years ago, and currently Zoom Air), large enough, no. I pointed out the fact that the airport is the major roadblock here. The Chargers stadium is much more likely to happen in the near future than the airport it seems. For that matter, you completely misconstrued my posts. Nowhere did I state that I'm proposing San Diego to host the final game. Nowhere. Only to host A GAME. That is, versus LA monopolizing all the games in SoCal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hngcm View Post
Is this guy arguing that San Diego should be picked over LA for the WC final?

Crazy...

It'll probably be in DC, either in FedEx Field or a new stadium.

Anyways, I think if the Chargers get a new stadium within the next couple of years, then San Diego for sure will be a host city. At least I'm hoping...

The host cities as I see it...
Again, read the post more carefully. Nowhere did I suggest San Diego to host the final game. I'm not that stupid. Of course San Diego isn't appropriate for that, and for that matter, one would expect either Washington D.C. or New York to host the final. I don't even think LA would be picked again for the final.

But please people, rather than calling me an idiot, please read the posts more carefully.
Old July 6th, 2008, 08:27 AM   #475
en1044
Unregistered User

Quote:
False. International yes (we used to have service to London via British Airways a few years ago, and currently Zoom Air), large enough, no. I pointed out the fact that the airport is the major roadblock here. The Chargers stadium is much more likely to happen in the near future than the airport it seems. For that matter, you completely misconstrued my posts. Nowhere did I state that I'm proposing San Diego to host the final game. Nowhere. Only to host A GAME. That is, versus LA monopolizing all the games in SoCal.

Again, read the post more carefully. Nowhere did I suggest San Diego to host the final game. I'm not that stupid. Of course San Diego isn't appropriate for that, and for that matter, one would expect either Washington D.C. or New York to host the final. I don't even think LA would be picked again for the final.

But please people, rather than calling me an idiot, please read the posts more carefully.
well the point still is that LA will, without a doubt, host a WC game. Because of that, SD cant. The cities are too close.
en1044 no está en línea  
Old July 6th, 2008, 08:55 AM   #476
Kenni
What?

Quote:

I couldn't do anything but laugh at this personal irrational view. Who in their sanity would choose San Diego over Los Angeles to hold an event of such magnitude?

San Diego is,...nice,.. hmmm, beautiful and all. But it's a MUST to include New York, Los Angeles and Chicago in any case.

I'm NOT going to list the very successful record Los Angeles has in hosting world events.
L.A. has never had a "Montreal 1976" oopsie.
Kenni no está en línea  
Old July 6th, 2008, 09:23 AM   #477
hngcm

Quote:
well the point still is that LA will, without a doubt, host a WC game. Because of that, SD cant. The cities are too close.
Don't think they would rule out SD because of that.
hngcm no está en línea  
Old July 6th, 2008, 06:34 PM   #478
Irish Blood English Heart
Letting off the happiness

Likes (Received): 376

Of course it wouldnt, Germany had stadiums in Cologne, Dortmund and Gelsenkirchen, all about 25 miles from each other.
Irish Blood English Heart no está en línea  
Old July 6th, 2008, 06:57 PM   #479
en1044
Unregistered User

i think it does matter, we arent restricted by size. To start grouping cities near each other here would just be dumb.
en1044 no está en línea  
Old July 6th, 2008, 07:32 PM   #480
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

The big problem LA may have is that they lack a large modern football stadium, things have moved on signifcantly since 94 and I wouldnt be supprized if neither the Rose Bowl or the LA Coliseum are considered suitible by FIFA when this bid happens.
MoreOrLess no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
los angeles, united states of america, world cup