daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old July 8th, 2008, 11:33 AM   #501
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benn View Post
East
Washington DC (probably large new retractable roof stadium +/-90,000-100,000)
New York (80,000 seat stadium, will open in a couple years)
Miami (75,000, may have a retractable roof by then)

Midwest
Dallas (100,000)
Chicago (61,000)
Minneapolis (new +/- 72,000 retractable roof stadium is likely by 2013 or so)

West
LA (renovated Rose Bowl 85,000)
Denver (76,000)
Phoenix (72,000)
San Fran (new 49ers stadium +/-72,000)

Semi Finals
LA
Dallas

Final
Washington DC

I could definately see Seattle, Boston/Foxboro, Philly, San Diego, Houston, especially if the new Vikings or 49ers stadium falls through.
Even with a new stadium I doubt Minneapolis hosts a game.

I think the bid will contain 12 stadiums (same as Germany) and that Boston, Houston, and Seattle will be hosts.
hngcm no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 8th, 2008, 11:33 AM   #502
hngcm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuvvaci View Post
U.S has many very impressive stadiums. But I don't think FIFA will give a WC to the U.S again , in a short while. Though 2022 won't be in Europe (Europe [UK or Spain]will get 2018)
Worst case scenario is australia/china get 2022, and 2026 goes to the USA
hngcm no está en línea  
Old July 8th, 2008, 12:37 PM   #503
Kuvvaci
Strange User

Likes (Received): 64

probably one of them will get 2022. I don't know about 2026, I wonder if U.S wants to get it or just our forumers wish it.
Kuvvaci no está en línea  
Old July 8th, 2008, 06:24 PM   #504
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3205

a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by en1044 View Post
eh, miami is too out of the way...better sticking in LA or DC.
Given the dispersal of games everyone is supposing, stretching from Boston to LA, it seems foolish to suggest Miami is "too out of the way." Especially considering the upgrades being given to Dolphin Stadium, it's safe to say that will be among the premier venues available. Smaller than, say, Dallas and NY, but certainly top class.

b. The more I think about it the more the challenge for the US will be trying to win a WC early enough before Mexico fosters a bid with comparable stadiums. As of today the Mexican Football League does not have the volume of first-rate, large facilities to compete with a US bid. However, if the US misses out on '18 - '26, there's a chance by then Mexico will have a full slate of facilities ready made for the WC. Maybe not as large as many NFL stadia but with a more pure "soccer" configuration and volumes of support. If that happens it would push a potential US date back to something in the 2040s or 2050s.

c. Re: The LA/SD dispute. I don't imagine it will be a one-or-the-other debate for US Soccer or FIFA, and at the least the west coast will need multiple sites so as to provide convenient travel options for fans and teams.

That being said, if it came down to such a choice then surely the culture that gave us The Hills should be dropped straight away!

Cheers!
Old July 9th, 2008, 03:39 AM   #505
Benn

Likes (Received): 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by hngcm View Post
Even with a new stadium I doubt Minneapolis hosts a game.

I think the bid will contain 12 stadiums (same as Germany) and that Boston, Houston, and Seattle will be hosts.
I don't know for sure, metropolitan Boston is a bit bigger than metropolitan Minneapolis. But if there is a larger retractable roof stadium in downtown Minneapolis (which the new proposal coming in a month or so will be) on two light rail line that connect to the airport and (soon to be) central train station, that will probably be a stronger bid than what Gillette stadium out in Foxboro can offer, not to mention it's fairly close proximity to NYC. I still think Minneapolis probably has a slight edge come 2018 or 2022.

With twelve hosts I would fully expect Seattle and Houston to be in the bid, with Boston, Philly, San Diego, Charlotte and Tampa having an outside chance. Of course this is all quite speculative, it being 14 years away for a tournament that isn't quite certain.

East
Washington DC (new stadium 90,000-100,000)
New York (new Meadowlands, 80,000)
Miami (Dolphins stadium 75,000)

South
Dallas (Jerryworld 100,000)
Houston (Reliant 72,000)
Phoenix (U of Phoenix 72,000)

Midwest
Chicago (61,000)
Minneapolis (new Vikings +/-72,000)
Denver (Invesco 76,000)

West
LA (Rosebowl 85,000)
San Fran (new 49ers +/-72,000)
Seattle (Qwest 72,000)

Last edited by Benn; July 9th, 2008 at 03:46 AM.
Benn no está en línea  
Old July 9th, 2008, 05:48 AM   #506
Benjuk

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benn View Post
I don't know for sure, metropolitan Boston is a bit bigger than metropolitan Minneapolis. But if there is a larger retractable roof stadium in downtown Minneapolis (which the new proposal coming in a month or so will be) on two light rail line that connect to the airport and (soon to be) central train station, that will probably be a stronger bid than what Gillette stadium out in Foxboro can offer, not to mention it's fairly close proximity to NYC. I still think Minneapolis probably has a slight edge come 2018 or 2022.

With twelve hosts I would fully expect Seattle and Houston to be in the bid, with Boston, Philly, San Diego, Charlotte and Tampa having an outside chance. Of course this is all quite speculative, it being 14 years away for a tournament that isn't quite certain.

East
Washington DC (new stadium 90,000-100,000)
New York (new Meadowlands, 80,000)
Miami (Dolphins stadium 75,000)

South
Dallas (Jerryworld 100,000)
Houston (Reliant 72,000)
Phoenix (U of Phoenix 72,000)

Midwest
Chicago (61,000)
Minneapolis (new Vikings +/-72,000)
Denver (Invesco 76,000)

West
LA (Rosebowl 85,000)
San Fran (new 49ers +/-72,000)
Seattle (Qwest 72,000)
I would say drop Phoenix, put Miami into the South area, stick Boston into the East. Maybe St Louis or Detroit for Minneapolis?
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old July 9th, 2008, 05:57 AM   #507
Tritons

Likes (Received): 0

Foxborough is a bit far out from Boston for it to be feasible, and then there would probably be a Boston/NY hosting dispute (like the LA/SD argument we just had?), because they too are fairly close together. NY would probably have better access to the venue though.

I also just checked out the RTD website and was pleasantly surprised to see how much Denver's light rail system has expanded. I didn't realize last time I was there that it had grown so much. Plus it goes right by Invesco Field, so it's a great boon for Denver for a hosting bid. Excellent access by rail is a great plus.

I also agree with Benn on that we're kinda goin' out on a limb here for some of these places, given how far out the date is. It's fun to discuss all the possibilities here, but we can't know for sure how serious any of this is. We don't even know for sure whether there will be a bid.
Tritons no está en línea  
Old July 9th, 2008, 06:23 AM   #508
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Foxborough is 22 miles south of Boston. Very much in the orbit of what is considered suburbia for most large American cities and almos tthe same distance as the new Cowboys stadium will be from downtown Dallas. I don't know where on earth you get the idea that NYC would be closer to the venue then Boston. Providence Rhode Island perhaps, NYC no way.
Old July 9th, 2008, 06:26 AM   #509
Tritons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjuk View Post
I would say drop Phoenix, put Miami into the South area, stick Boston into the East. Maybe St Louis or Detroit for Minneapolis?
I'd drop Phoenix too. Even though it may have a dome stadium, it's ridiculously hot in the summer (which would be uncomfortable for the fans whilst staying in the city), and has poor public transportation options compared to other cities.
Tritons no está en línea  
Old July 9th, 2008, 06:40 AM   #510
Tritons

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Foxborough is 22 miles south of Boston. Very much in the orbit of what is considered suburbia for most large American cities and almos tthe same distance as the new Cowboys stadium will be from downtown Dallas. I don't know where on earth you get the idea that NYC would be closer to the venue then Boston. Providence Rhode Island perhaps, NYC no way.
Whoops, sorry. Looked further out to me. Should have checked the distance. Still, what are we talking about in terms of transit options?

And I'm confused about the rest. Are you talking about Providence being closer to Boston's venue than NY? That's a given, but why would NY use Boston's venue? And what would Providence have to do with it? NY would have their own venue, I would assume, otherwise Boston would take it.
Tritons no está en línea  
Old July 9th, 2008, 06:49 AM   #511
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

Indianapolis should host a match or two. Lucas Oil Stadium is going to be one of the premier football stadiums in the US when it opens next month.
Old July 9th, 2008, 07:03 AM   #512
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8686

How much are domestic air fares between all of these venues? It's all very well to say they need to be dispersed across the country, however, the fans wallets need to be considered too. It's one problem I have with an Australian bid for 2022 - transport between the cities and the costs associated with that. I'm sure that a flight between NY and LA will set someone back a pretty penny.
Svartmetall no está en línea  
Old July 9th, 2008, 07:20 AM   #513
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
How much are domestic air fares between all of these venues? It's all very well to say they need to be dispersed across the country, however, the fans wallets need to be considered too. It's one problem I have with an Australian bid for 2022 - transport between the cities and the costs associated with that. I'm sure that a flight between NY and LA will set someone back a pretty penny.
The fares would be expensive, but thats why the stadiums are being grouped by region
en1044 no está en línea  
Old July 9th, 2008, 07:21 AM   #514
Solanis_Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
That's exactly what I've pointed out earlier. Everybody's saying "Oh yeah, all the venues should be spread out, that's the only way it would work" or something along those lines. Or better yet, "Oh, America is so much bigger than everyone else, we have the luxury of spreading things out." But at what cost? If you guys haven't noticed, airline fares are getting more expensive. With this whole energy crisis, who knows where things will go in the future. Not to mention all the political turmoil and the effect it has on oil prices.

So when you spread things out in a country that has very large distances, and the only quick link between cities being air travel, what would be the sense of spreading things out so much? Sure, it's nice to have venues in differing regions to showcase differing climates and geography, but at what cost to fans (both foreign and domestic)? That's why I think the size of the US is a negative, not a positive.

Clustering venues would be more cost effective and convenient, rather than hopping around the country between games.

For the TV viewers it may make little difference, but they're not the ones that are gonna be spending the money.

EDIT: The stadiums being grouped by region? Sure, but even the distances between the cities within each region prohibit anything else except air travel. Well, maybe except New England. Foreigners won't have cars, so they can't just hop in the family car and drive over. And even domestically, high gas prices will discourage people from driving city to city.
Solanis_Rep no está en línea  
Old July 9th, 2008, 07:32 AM   #515
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritons View Post
Whoops, sorry. Looked further out to me. Should have checked the distance. Still, what are we talking about in terms of transit options?

And I'm confused about the rest. Are you talking about Providence being closer to Boston's venue than NY? That's a given, but why would NY use Boston's venue? And what would Providence have to do with it? NY would have their own venue, I would assume, otherwise Boston would take it.
I am guessing Foxborough has a commuter rail station that event buses could service but in terms of PT when I was in town and drove past the stadium a month ago there was no sign of PT that I saw. However that is not differant then many if not most the stadiums that would be canidates.
Old July 9th, 2008, 08:37 AM   #516
hngcm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritons View Post
Foxborough is a bit far out from Boston for it to be feasible, and then there would probably be a Boston/NY hosting dispute (like the LA/SD argument we just had?), because they too are fairly close together. NY would probably have better access to the venue though.
It wasn't a problem in 1994 so I doubt it'll be a problem in 2022.

There's also the fact that it's an "MLS stadium."
hngcm no está en línea  
Old July 9th, 2008, 08:39 AM   #517
hngcm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
Indianapolis should host a match or two. Lucas Oil Stadium is going to be one of the premier football stadiums in the US when it opens next month.
The minimum will probably be 3 matches (64 matches in 12 cities).

I don't see anybody picking Indianapolis over the other midwest cities, I'm sorry but Indy is just not that attractive (well, compared to the others). I'd choose Indy over Minneapolis though.
hngcm no está en línea  
Old July 9th, 2008, 08:40 AM   #518
Indiana Jones
Top Gear is back!

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
True dat!
Indiana Jones no está en línea  
Old July 9th, 2008, 01:28 PM   #519
rockin'.baltimorean

Likes (Received): 2413

i can't believe that the field comes OUT of the stadium. awesome!! technology is somethin' else!!
rockin'.baltimorean no está en línea  
Old July 9th, 2008, 01:33 PM   #520
hngcm

it's not the first stadium to do that
hngcm no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
los angeles, united states of america, world cup