daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools
Old October 21st, 2008, 02:08 AM   #641
jkramb
Registered User
 
jkramb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 104
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeimieLvr View Post
Charlotte population - 2,491,000
Indianapolis population - 2,014,000
Nashville population - 1,521,000

They are peer cities, but Charlotte is larger. Indianapolis is only more well known to racing fans, which may overlap with country music fans but banking fans outweigh both.
umm, indy is known for a lot more than nascar racing. Indy hosts major international racing events.
jkramb no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old October 21st, 2008, 02:20 AM   #642
flierfy
Registered User
 
flierfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,882
Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by hngcm View Post
You forget that the biggest sponsors in the world are in the US.
They might come from the USA but they certainly don't target the american market when they sponsors football.
__________________
Rippachtal.de
flierfy no está en línea  
Old October 21st, 2008, 02:42 AM   #643
flierfy
Registered User
 
flierfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,882
Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
World Cup ratings have nothing to do with atmosphere. It's the WC and people will pack them regardless of how many suites and club seats there are. They will be noisy even with the suites and the ratings won't suffer one bit. If the stadium is three decibels quieter, people aren't going to turn off their TVs. Just like people will sell out a stadium for a WC regardless of where that stadium is, people will watch the WC even if the atmosphere is just a wee bit worse. Why does FIFA want the WC to return to the US? Because we have the biggest stadiums, with the most VIP seats and the sponsors want it to be here to capitalize on all the consumers here.

Your argument is not only based on a falsity that sponsors don't want slightly quieter stadiums, but the notion that people won't watch because there are extra VIP seats is blasphemous.
What makes you so sure that they really want it. Apart from Blatter and his inner circle there aren't too many people who are greedy enough to sell our game to you. I wouldn't be so sure that the USA will host a World Cup too soon.

You are completely mistaken if you think that people watch regardless of surroundings. The 1994 World Cup had the lowest viewing rates for decades. And that for a very good reason. The atmosphere at these games were appalling.
__________________
Rippachtal.de
flierfy no está en línea  
Old October 21st, 2008, 03:03 AM   #644
ryebreadraz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,597
Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
What makes you so sure that they really want it. Apart from Blatter and his inner circle there aren't too many people who are greedy enough to sell our game to you. I wouldn't be so sure that the USA will host a World Cup too soon.
Apart from Blatter and his inner circle? They hold quite a bit of influence when it comes to handing out hosts. The fact that we are considered the favorite in 2022 despite having hosted only 28 years prior to that shows that they want the WC back here. Coke and McDonalds have been lobbying for the US to get the WC ASAP and you can be sure Blatter and Co. are listening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
You are completely mistaken if you think that people watch regardless of surroundings. The 1994 World Cup had the lowest viewing rates for decades. And that for a very good reason. The atmosphere at these games were appalling.
The 1994 WC didn't have the lowest ratings in decades. They were higher than the ratings in 1986, which coincidentally suffered from an undesirable time zone. Why did 1990 have higher ratings than 1994 though? Because of A) the time difference left matches in Europe on at an undesirable time and B) England, by far the world's most popular soccer nation didn't qualify.

And BTW, sponsor money accounts for more than TV money as evidenced by the fact that the 1994 WC was the most profitable WC until the 2002 WC. It even made more money than France despite the 98 WC having more teams and matches.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old October 21st, 2008, 06:34 AM   #645
en1044
Unregistered User
 
en1044's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,405
Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohanSA View Post
Its a atitude like this that makes the world hate americans! South Africa has to comply with exactly the same standerds as Germany did and as you did in 1994 ( its acsually higher now than that in 1994 ) . Just because South Africa is on the African continent doesnt make it a shitty backwater country. South Africas economy might be a small fraction of that of the US but in South Africa it is and has been the most important thing for people and government the last 6 years and up until 2010 . Your not going to get that same commitment from neither your government nor your people! Seems theres one lesson the USA will never learn : a small guy with passion and determination will destroy a uncommited giant ....... Goodluck with your bidding because I have a feeling Australia might just destroy you with their passion for sport...
please dont ever talk about americans without knowing anything about them. you are no different than the rest of the world where you hate americans but dont know why so you make up bogus reasons to support your feelings.
__________________
WASHINGTON REDSKINS
en1044 no está en línea  
Old October 21st, 2008, 06:43 AM   #646
Arist
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas
Posts: 368
Likes (Received): 1

I never thought i would agree with a Redskin Fan. USA Stadiums will be more then capable to win the 2022 bid, and all venues will hold more then 65,000. No small crowds at any game.
Arist no está en línea  
Old October 21st, 2008, 07:24 AM   #647
ryebreadraz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,597
Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arist View Post
I never thought i would agree with a Redskin Fan. USA Stadiums will be more then capable to win the 2022 bid, and all venues will hold more then 65,000. No small crowds at any game.
The only venue that would hold under 65,000 would be Soldier Field in Chicago. Besides that the smallest venue would hold 69,000 and 3 would hold over 80,000.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old October 21st, 2008, 12:20 PM   #648
hngcm
Registered User
 
hngcm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,644
Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
They might come from the USA but they certainly don't target the american market when they sponsors football.
Regardless, Coke/McDonal's/MasterCard/whatever won't have a problem sponsoring the World Cup even if the atmosphere is not quite up to par.
hngcm no está en línea  
Old October 21st, 2008, 12:57 PM   #649
JohanSA
Registered User
 
JohanSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Napier/Stellenbosch/Cape Town
Posts: 2,427
Likes (Received): 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1044 View Post
please dont ever talk about americans without knowing anything about them. you are no different than the rest of the world where you hate americans but dont know why so you make up bogus reasons to support your feelings.
I dont hate americans since many of them are close friends of mine and are coming to South Africa for the WC in 2010 ( Im their personal free tour guide). They are just as irritated as me by those americans who are ignorant and arrogant . Yes you are the strongest country in the world but.....
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreed View Post
Wow, so you really are fruity. Damn, I thought they were joking.
Twitter, Instagram : @JohanTTBlom
JohanSA no está en línea  
Old October 21st, 2008, 01:42 PM   #650
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...
 
WeimieLvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 3,085
Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohanSA View Post
I dont hate americans since many of them are close friends of mine and are coming to South Africa for the WC in 2010 ( Im their personal free tour guide). They are just as irritated as me by those americans who are ignorant and arrogant . Yes you are the strongest country in the world but.....
It's more a hatred for Americ-A than Americ-ANS...I've seen it many times. Not many people in the world are dumb enough to hate individuals that they don't even know and know nothing about. But they do hate and envy (at the same time) the perceived excessive lifestyle in the U.S. - although when they come here and experience it, they invariably want to live here.

I've had good friends and co-workers from Canada, Mexico, Australia, New Zealand, Spain, England, etc...many of them had every complaint in the universe about American society and the things that they missed from home, but EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM either tried to live here permanently or at least extended their work contracts if possible for 3 more years. They hated it and loved it at the same time...

Last edited by WeimieLvr; October 21st, 2008 at 05:00 PM.
WeimieLvr no está en línea  
Old October 21st, 2008, 03:11 PM   #651
mavn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 180
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
B) England, by far the world's most popular soccer nation didn't qualify.
Dream on... When it comes to national teams everyone supports its own nation. Which in numbers, already puts England to somewhere around 30th place in the world and the Argentinian en especialy Brazillian team to name a few are waaaaaay more popular among football fans across the world.

The Premier League is big on a world wide scale. The English national team is not. This is a ridiculous argument...
mavn no está en línea  
Old October 21st, 2008, 03:36 PM   #652
flierfy
Registered User
 
flierfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,882
Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
Apart from Blatter and his inner circle? They hold quite a bit of influence when it comes to handing out hosts. The fact that we are considered the favorite in 2022 despite having hosted only 28 years prior to that shows that they want the WC back here. Coke and McDonalds have been lobbying for the US to get the WC ASAP and you can be sure Blatter and Co. are listening.
The have a bit of influence. But they don't decide this on their own. Blatter also lobbied South Africa to host the 2006 World Cup and failed. I wouldn't give to much on what he says and what we wants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
The 1994 WC didn't have the lowest ratings in decades. They were higher than the ratings in 1986, which coincidentally suffered from an undesirable time zone. Why did 1990 have higher ratings than 1994 though? Because of A) the time difference left matches in Europe on at an undesirable time and B) England, by far the world's most popular soccer nation didn't qualify.
Oh dear, you really know very little about football. England's popularity barely exceeds England itself. And that country isn't even big. How you get to the conclusion they were the by far the most popular football nation is completely beyond me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
And BTW, sponsor money accounts for more than TV money as evidenced by the fact that the 1994 WC was the most profitable WC until the 2002 WC. It even made more money than France despite the 98 WC having more teams and matches.
Profitable in the short term maybe. But with miserable viewing rates sponsors have simply overpaid for the less than expected attention they got.
In the end it's the TV audience that decide whether it's success or a failure. And figures clearly indicate that the 1994 WC was a failure. Whether you like it or not.
__________________
Rippachtal.de
flierfy no está en línea  
Old October 21st, 2008, 05:01 PM   #653
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...
 
WeimieLvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 3,085
Likes (Received): 420

Wait...what's this? ryebreadraz is an expert on everything, isn't he?

Apparently not...
WeimieLvr no está en línea  
Old October 21st, 2008, 05:21 PM   #654
ryebreadraz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,597
Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
Oh dear, you really know very little about football. England's popularity barely exceeds England itself. And that country isn't even big. How you get to the conclusion they were the by far the most popular football nation is completely beyond me.
Maybe the fact that England's match with Sweden was the highest rated match worldwide in the 2006 group stage. Maybe the fact that England's match with Portugal was the highest rated quarterfinal match. Add in the fact that tournaments without England (1994 WC, Euro 2006) have all had decidedly lower ratings in sponsor's key countries?


Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
Profitable in the short term maybe. But with miserable viewing rates sponsors have simply overpaid for the less than expected attention they got.
In the end it's the TV audience that decide whether it's success or a failure. And figures clearly indicate that the 1994 WC was a failure. Whether you like it or not.
The TV rights to the 1998 WC was sold after the 1994 WC was over and yet FIFA still received more money for the rights to '98 than '94 and more money per match (so the increased number of matches isn't the reason). The ratings in 1994 clearly didn't affect them so much in the long term if TV networks were still willing to pony up more money than ever before.

The biggest thing that brought down ratings in 1994 was the time zone. The time zone here doesn't create the most desirable timed matches in Europe. The atmosphere at matches had nothing to do with the ratings.

This pissing match between us is going nowhere. Let's just agree to disagree and move on. Let this thread get back to actual talk about the 2022 WC.

Last edited by ryebreadraz; October 21st, 2008 at 05:30 PM.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old October 21st, 2008, 05:23 PM   #655
ryebreadraz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,597
Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeimieLvr View Post
Wait...what's this? ryebreadraz is an expert on everything, isn't he?

Apparently not...
Dude, either make an attempt to contribute to the conversation or just stay out. if you'd like to join in then fine, but comments like this are not very constructive. If you don't like my proposal, then propose your own. Don't just try to tear down someone else's. You're not bringing much to the table with comments like this or just poking at other comments instead of trying some original ideas yourself.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old October 21st, 2008, 08:01 PM   #656
massp88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,182
Likes (Received): 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavn View Post
Dream on... When it comes to national teams everyone supports its own nation. Which in numbers, already puts England to somewhere around 30th place in the world and the Argentinian en especialy Brazillian team to name a few are waaaaaay more popular among football fans across the world.

The Premier League is big on a world wide scale. The English national team is not. This is a ridiculous argument...
I think it could be said that 5 years ago, the English national team was probably the most popular in the world thanks to David Beckham, once the most popular and known athlete in the world. Of course things have changed.

Why argue about ratings? In the end, the World Cup is still the most popular sporting event in the world and a couple hundred million people will still watch. Nations will pause as their national team takes the pitch. The World Cup is great.
massp88 no está en línea  
Old October 22nd, 2008, 01:04 AM   #657
El Mariachi
Registered User
 
El Mariachi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7,156
Likes (Received): 5995

I never understood why everyone goes so batshit over the World Cup. Its always the same teams in the championship anyway.

The World Cup has less drama then the NBA playoffs. They should get rid of the "group stage" and make the tournament more like the NCAA basketball tournament. Just my two cents, I reckon people will disagree.
El Mariachi no está en línea  
Old October 22nd, 2008, 02:07 AM   #658
massp88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,182
Likes (Received): 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Phillip Banks View Post
I never understood why everyone goes so batshit over the World Cup. Its always the same teams in the championship anyway.

The World Cup has less drama then the NBA playoffs. They should get rid of the "group stage" and make the tournament more like the NCAA basketball tournament. Just my two cents, I reckon people will disagree.
You mean the NBA playoffs that never seem to end? The World Cup as a whole is a thousand times better than the NBA playoffs. You have the same teams all the time in the NBA playoffs and the only time there is any real drama is in the conference finals and the championship.
massp88 no está en línea  
Old October 22nd, 2008, 04:31 AM   #659
ElVoltageDR
Happy to be here
 
ElVoltageDR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,552
Likes (Received): 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Phillip Banks View Post
I never understood why everyone goes so batshit over the World Cup. Its always the same teams in the championship anyway.

The World Cup has less drama then the NBA playoffs. They should get rid of the "group stage" and make the tournament more like the NCAA basketball tournament. Just my two cents, I reckon people will disagree.
Well I guess its just that its more about national pride than anything else. Its also a gathering of the most talented footballers from around the world.
ElVoltageDR no está en línea  
Old October 22nd, 2008, 05:20 AM   #660
ADCS
Kickin' it
 
ADCS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Screwston, Plexus
Posts: 507
Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Phillip Banks View Post
I never understood why everyone goes so batshit over the World Cup. Its always the same teams in the championship anyway.

The World Cup has less drama then the NBA playoffs. They should get rid of the "group stage" and make the tournament more like the NCAA basketball tournament. Just my two cents, I reckon people will disagree.
In many ways, the World Cup is why we haven't had World War III. No, I am not exaggerating.
ADCS no está en línea  


Closed Thread

Tags
los angeles, united states of america, world cup

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu