daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old October 24th, 2008, 09:47 PM   #681
T3amgeist

Likes (Received): 19

In my opinion the World Cup is the biggest and most important sport tounament in the whole world, even more important than the olympics.

I dont think, that the USA will get the Wold Cup in 2022, because the had it in 1994. There are many countrys which never hosted a World Cup. Other countrys deserved it more, because in the USA theSport has not the popularity like it hasin other countrys.
T3amgeist no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old October 24th, 2008, 10:32 PM   #682
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2759

I think the U.S. or China will get it. If I had to put my money down I would bet China will be chosen.
Old October 24th, 2008, 11:24 PM   #683
berkshire royal

Likes (Received): 1

This may surprise you but China haven't decided whether or not they want to bid and from their recent comments haven't sounded as keen as you might think.

At Judge although you have some good points you have to remember a few factors regarding your ideas. Firstly you have to have teams playing a bare minimum number of games because it would take away from the whole experience if they we're out of there after 1 game so how else could they get teams playing a minimum of 3 games against 3 different opponents?

Although the groups can be done and dusted after 2 games you also get plenty of groups were it goes right down to that very last minute and can be very exciting, but as the pundits and all fans know it's when it gets to the knockout stage that it gets exciting and comes into it's own. I think you make a good point regarding teams not needing to win every game, at the moment there is reward for teams that top their group that they then play a runner-up from another group in the next round, maybe they could come up with a better system but I think it would be pretty difficult.

Regarding the time between the two for me it adds to the excitement that long wait for the Holy Grail championships. For me it would take away from the whole spectacle if they had a World Cup every 1/2 years would you have the Olympics more often? Also it wouldn't be feasible in that the season is already extremely congested the players have to have some off time and they also have to make time for Continental championships like the European Championships, African Cup of Nations, Copa America etc.
berkshire royal no está en línea  
Old October 24th, 2008, 11:33 PM   #684
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3amgeist View Post
I dont think, that the USA will get the Wold Cup in 2022, because the had it in 1994. There are many countrys which never hosted a World Cup. Other countrys deserved it more, because in the USA theSport has not the popularity like it hasin other countrys.
Do you know the criteria? Very few countries can host the World Cup.
krudmonk no está en línea  
Old October 24th, 2008, 11:48 PM   #685
matthemod

Likes (Received): 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by massp88 View Post
Well what do you consider an internation feel? For a large city, Boston may be the most European in the country. Then again, this is America and we have our own way and own landscape much like Vienna is quite different than Lima, or Nagoya is different than Lisbon.
Well I suppose it's kind of hard to describe what an international feel sort of is. I've not been to Boston yet but the main feature i've noticed when visiting larger American cities is that they do have more of an international vibe to them, but smaller ones and places more in the country aren't as much, sometimes to the extent you could claim they're anti-international. This is just of course a general idea, i'm not saying that all places are like that, just that there seems to be more of a "them and us" kind of philosophy in some places.

I suppose you could say this about most countries, but coming from the U.K. and being a European it's just a new situation i've not experienced before.

My MiniCity!
matthemod no está en línea  
Old October 25th, 2008, 09:00 PM   #686
El Mariachi

Likes (Received): 5995

Quote:
Originally Posted by massp88 View Post
The World Cup happens every 4 years. If it happened every year, I would say a single elimination tournament would work and be good. But it doesn't happen every year like the NCAA tournament. How would you rank the teams? Using their FIFA ranking? If so, that could be a flawed system.

There are a fair share of upsets and surprises in the WC. Look back to 2002 when Portugal didn't make the round of 16 and the US made it to the quarterfinals. Or in 2006 when you had both the Ukraine and Switzerland maiking the round of 16.
Yeah, I am not too sure how the rankings could be worked out. Thats a problem with FIFA, as well as NCAA basketball/football. Its very subjective and there will always be those who will be upset with their seed/rank. What I can't understand is how highly ranked the U.S. national team is from time to time.
El Mariachi no está en línea  
Old October 25th, 2008, 09:09 PM   #687
El Mariachi

Likes (Received): 5995

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkshire royal View Post

At Judge although you have some good points you have to remember a few factors regarding your ideas. Firstly you have to have teams playing a bare minimum number of games because it would take away from the whole experience if they we're out of there after 1 game so how else could they get teams playing a minimum of 3 games against 3 different opponents?

Although the groups can be done and dusted after 2 games you also get plenty of groups were it goes right down to that very last minute and can be very exciting, but as the pundits and all fans know it's when it gets to the knockout stage that it gets exciting and comes into it's own. I think you make a good point regarding teams not needing to win every game, at the moment there is reward for teams that top their group that they then play a runner-up from another group in the next round, maybe they could come up with a better system but I think it would be pretty difficult.

Regarding the time between the two for me it adds to the excitement that long wait for the Holy Grail championships. For me it would take away from the whole spectacle if they had a World Cup every 1/2 years would you have the Olympics more often? Also it wouldn't be feasible in that the season is already extremely congested the players have to have some off time and they also have to make time for Continental championships like the European Championships, African Cup of Nations, Copa America etc.
Yeah, my idea has alot of flaws--especially the timing with the Olympics/league seasons and the "one and done" style of the tournament. Of course, I don't think it would ever be taken seriously---as literally I am one guy with this opinion and the entire world disagrees with it!

It might be a bit arrogant of me to assume that NCAA tournament structure would work for everybody. I think you might get a taste of it though to see for yourself this spring at Indiana.
El Mariachi no está en línea  
Old October 26th, 2008, 11:33 AM   #688
SIC

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
In my opinion the World Cup is the biggest and most important sport tounament in the whole world, even more important than the olympics.

It's grown a lot in the last 14 years and theres no reason it wont grow in the next 14. We will have probably 20 team league and with everyone playing in their stadiums by then.
SIC no está en línea  
Old October 26th, 2008, 12:53 PM   #689
theespecialone

wtf the World Cup is the biggest event in the world by light years and is perfect the way it is so why would u change it
theespecialone no está en línea  
Old October 26th, 2008, 09:10 PM   #690
nyrmetros

Likes (Received): 19

To this date the 1994 FIFA WC was the biggest money making WC ever...... Another one here in the unified colonies would dwarf any other tournament in terms of $$$......
nyrmetros no está en línea  
Old October 26th, 2008, 09:16 PM   #691
storms991
Leicester:NY:London

Likes (Received): 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Do you know the criteria? Very few countries can host the World Cup.
If South Africa can host it, anybody can.
storms991 no está en línea  
Old October 27th, 2008, 03:34 AM   #692
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by storms991 View Post
If South Africa can host it, anybody can.
South Africa has quite a few people and major cities compared to most nations.
krudmonk no está en línea  
Old October 27th, 2008, 05:19 AM   #693
theespecialone

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIC View Post
It's grown a lot in the last 14 years and theres no reason it wont grow in the next 14. We will have probably 20 team league and with everyone playing in their stadiums by then.
it will grow as asia gets richer and takes american fans away from crap sports like gridiron.
Old October 27th, 2008, 07:05 AM   #694
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by theespecialone View Post
it will grow as asia gets richer and takes american fans away from crap sports like gridiron.
hey, um...lets stay on topic ok? If you expect people to take you seriously then you should use another method. Dont make useless comments, especially ones as unwarranted as what you said. However, i really shouldnt expect anything else from you, being as you have a long history of acting like an immature idiot.
Old October 27th, 2008, 07:22 AM   #695
SIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Phillip Banks View Post
Yeah, my idea has alot of flaws--especially the timing with the Olympics/league seasons and the "one and done" style of the tournament. Of course, I don't think it would ever be taken seriously---as literally I am one guy with this opinion and the entire world disagrees with it!

It might be a bit arrogant of me to assume that NCAA tournament structure would work for everybody. I think you might get a taste of it though to see for yourself this spring at Indiana.
You do realize that teams qualify over 2 and half years before the tournament right. All the teams in FIFA have a chance to qualify. It's why it's called the "World Cup FINALS".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_FI..._qualification
SIC no está en línea  
Old October 27th, 2008, 01:37 PM   #696
theespecialone

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1044 View Post
hey, um...lets stay on topic ok? If you expect people to take you seriously then you should use another method. Dont make useless comments, especially ones as unwarranted as what you said. However, i really shouldnt expect anything else from you, being as you have a long history of acting like an immature idiot.
you know that I'm right
Old October 27th, 2008, 01:41 PM   #697
theespecialone

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIC View Post
You do realize that teams qualify over 2 and half years before the tournament right. All the teams in FIFA have a chance to qualify. It's why it's called the "World Cup FINALS".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_FI..._qualification
I don't think he does

anyway, the current 32 team format is perfect and changing it would allow too many mediocre teams
Old October 27th, 2008, 05:38 PM   #698
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by theespecialone View Post
you know that I'm right
no, i know that you are an ignorant *******
Old October 27th, 2008, 07:48 PM   #699
GEwinnen
Rekordvizemeister

Likes (Received): 2747

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
To this date the 1994 FIFA WC was the biggest money making WC ever.......
Source??
GEwinnen no está en línea  
Old October 27th, 2008, 07:55 PM   #700
massp88

Likes (Received): 215

Quote:

Since the U.S. hosted the World Cup back in 1994, there will have been 6 cups since then. North America is in line to host the cup as South America, Asia, Africa and Europe have all hosted since then. People think the odds on favorite for 2018 will be England so the U.S. is in a good position to get eh nod in 2022.
Outside of Europe, there are not many countries that can host the WC to the extent that it needs to be. The U.S. has the finest collection of stadiums of any country and is well equipped to host. My money is on England 2018, U.S. 2022 and Australia/China 2026.
massp88 no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
los angeles, united states of america, world cup