daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old October 27th, 2008, 07:58 PM   #701
massp88

Likes (Received): 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by theespecialone View Post
it will grow as asia gets richer and takes american fans away from crap sports like gridiron.
Are you talking about football? If so, how will growth in Asia, which by the way is hurting, going to divert American sports fans away from football?
massp88 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old October 27th, 2008, 09:30 PM   #702
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by massp88 View Post
Are you talking about football? If so, how will growth in Asia, which by the way is hurting, going to divert American sports fans away from football?
I don't think he was talking about football. He rather means that yankball.
Old October 28th, 2008, 12:23 AM   #703
El Mariachi

Likes (Received): 5999

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIC View Post
You do realize that teams qualify over 2 and half years before the tournament right. All the teams in FIFA have a chance to qualify. It's why it's called the "World Cup FINALS".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_FI..._qualification
Yes, I do realize how they qualify and I think it's too big of an event.
El Mariachi no está en línea  
Old October 28th, 2008, 12:26 AM   #704
El Mariachi

Likes (Received): 5999

Quote:
it will grow as asia gets richer and takes american fans away from crap sports like gridiron.
why would American fans stop watching the NFL?

Can you explain why "gridiron" is a crap sport?
El Mariachi no está en línea  
Old October 28th, 2008, 01:15 AM   #705
KingmanIII

Likes (Received): 416

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Phillip Banks View Post
why would American fans stop watching the NFL?

Can you explain why "gridiron" is a crap sport?
Don't waste your time with this guy...just read his post history.
KingmanIII no está en línea  
Old October 28th, 2008, 02:18 AM   #706
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingmanIII View Post
Don't waste your time with this guy...just read his post history.
agreed. honestly i dont know why he hasnt been banned, being that trolling isnt legal
Old October 28th, 2008, 03:19 AM   #707
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

Back to the topic...does anybody think a stadium built between now and 2022 gets matches if we are granted the WC? The only one I can think of is the new Meadowlands Stadium. Any others that are in the works?

I know San Diego and San Francisco are possible hosts if they get a stadium (SF a near lock to host if they get a stadium), but they don't have any plans yet. Any other cities looking to build stadiums that could host?
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old October 28th, 2008, 11:39 AM   #708
cthighflyer

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
South Africa has quite a few people and major cities compared to most nations.
What a load of bollocks,

Have u ever even been to SA.I doubt it.Otherwise u would know the progress on ground and the strict criteria that had to be achieved.

2010 will be a great World Cup and probably the best so far, after which u can eat your uninformed words.
cthighflyer no está en línea  
Old October 28th, 2008, 07:18 PM   #709
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by massp88 View Post
Since the U.S. hosted the World Cup back in 1994, there will have been 6 cups since then. North America is in line to host the cup as South America, Asia, Africa and Europe have all hosted since then. People think the odds on favorite for 2018 will be England so the U.S. is in a good position to get eh nod in 2022.
Outside of Europe, there are not many countries that can host the WC to the extent that it needs to be. The U.S. has the finest collection of stadiums of any country and is well equipped to host. My money is on England 2018, U.S. 2022 and Australia/China 2026.
Come on, Antarctica hasn't even had a WC in its entire history! This is an injustice that must be addressed and rectified.
ADCS no está en línea  
Old October 28th, 2008, 09:18 PM   #710
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthighflyer View Post
What a load of bollocks,

Have u ever even been to SA.I doubt it.Otherwise u would know the progress on ground and the strict criteria that had to be achieved.

2010 will be a great World Cup and probably the best so far, after which u can eat your uninformed words.
What are you arguing? South Africa does have a lot of people and more than a couple major cities? Would you rather we think your country to be small and insignificant?
krudmonk no está en línea  
Old October 30th, 2008, 06:26 AM   #711
SIC

Likes (Received): 0

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/b...?commentpage=3

On Second Thoughts: USA 94
The American jamboree divides opinion like few other tournaments, but it was surely the best World Cup since the 80s
SIC no está en línea  
Old October 30th, 2008, 12:46 PM   #712
JohanSA

Likes (Received): 488

Quote:
Originally Posted by storms991 View Post
If South Africa can host it, anybody can.
Your ignorance is pitifull neanderthal!

The 2010 worldcup is already the highest earner for Fifa in the history of the game ( FACT ) by a mile. Sponsorship and TV rights sales .

South Africa is building three of the worlds top Soccer venues . The USA doesnt have a single high quality soccer venue ( football stadia arent designed for soccer ) . US stadia are lagging badly behind the the rest of the world when it comes to design ( Wembley , Birds nest , Stade de france , alianz arena , berlin olympic , all the new stadia in europe , greenpoint , soccercity , Durban olympic ) . Your Domes are boring and your other large stadia brutalist disjointed designs . You can argue with me but deep down you will know what im talking about when you compare the rest of the worlds top stadia with that of the US.
Twitter, Instagram : @JohanTTBlom
JohanSA no está en línea  
Old October 30th, 2008, 04:04 PM   #713
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2771

Don't be a hypersensitive troll just because someone else was. Yes, everywhere knows that Americans stadium are horrible and can't compare yada yada yada
Old October 30th, 2008, 06:04 PM   #714
en1044
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohanSA View Post

The 2010 worldcup is already the highest earner for Fifa in the history of the game ( FACT ) by a mile. Sponsorship and TV rights sales .

South Africa is building three of the worlds top Soccer venues . The USA doesnt have a single high quality soccer venue ( football stadia arent designed for soccer ) . US stadia are lagging badly behind the the rest of the world when it comes to design ( Wembley , Birds nest , Stade de france , alianz arena , berlin olympic , all the new stadia in europe , greenpoint , soccercity , Durban olympic ) . Your Domes are boring and your other large stadia brutalist disjointed designs . You can argue with me but deep down you will know what im talking about when you compare the rest of the worlds top stadia with that of the US.
Deep down i know that our stadiums suck? Sorry we dont have roofs on our stadiums, but we prefer to not waste the money on something that is totally unnecessary. Obviously you dont realize that the main difference between american stadiums and the rest of the world has to do with a roof. Unlike you, we like to be creative. Oh and another thing...New Wembley was designed by HOK, an American firm, and is quite american in design.

Quote:
Your ignorance is pitifull neanderthal
same to you buddy

Neanderthal? Heres a new slogan for SS...

"SkyscraperCity, so easy JohanSA can do it"

Listen to me pal, nobody likes a troll. I recommend you stop.

Designed with soccer in mind:
Reliant Stadium
Qwest Field
Gillette Stadium
LP Field
Cleveland Browns Stadium
Soldier Field
University of Phoenix Stadium
Bank of American Stadium
Raymond James Stadium
New Cowboys Stadium
New Giants Stadium
the list goes on...
Old October 30th, 2008, 07:58 PM   #715
massp88

Likes (Received): 215

Quote:

To say that stadiums in the U.S. are lagging behind the rest of the world would be flat out false. The United States has the biggest collection of top tier sports facilities that no other country can touch. As mentioned, the main difference between U.S. football stadiums and European soccer stadiums, is that a lot of them have roofs to cover the stands. Europe has some great stadiums, but a stadiums design is not the end all sign if the stadium is great. Take the new arena out in Tulsa, people are raving about it because the exterior is great. Ok, but the inside looks bland and boring and it is small. That arena will never host any significant even in its lifetime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1044 View Post
Deep down i know that our stadiums suck? Sorry we dont have roofs on our stadiums, but we prefer to not waste the money on something that is totally unnecessary. Obviously you dont realize that the main difference between american stadiums and the rest of the world has to do with a roof. Unlike you, we like to be creative. Oh and another thing...New Wembley was designed by HOK, an American firm, and is quite american in design.

same to you buddy

Reliant Stadium
Qwest Field
Gillette Stadium
LP Field
Cleveland Browns Stadium
Soldier Field
Bank of American Stadium
Raymond James Stadium
New Cowboys Stadium
New Giants Stadium
the list goes on...
The only thing that separates these venues from their European counterparts is the roof over the stands as you have mentioned. These are pretty much all top tier venues in my mind.
massp88 no está en línea  
Old October 30th, 2008, 10:26 PM   #716
tritown

Likes (Received): 5

Yeah, those stadiums have excellent design. And a lot of them do have roofs, or at least roofs over some of the stands.

I didn't realize that there are so many top-flight stadiums there are that can accommodate FIFA regulation fields in the USA, and most of these are at most a few years old.
tritown no está en línea  
Old October 31st, 2008, 12:25 AM   #717
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Deep down i know that our stadiums suck? Sorry we dont have roofs on our stadiums, but we prefer to not waste the money on something that is totally unnecessary. Obviously you dont realize that the main difference between american stadiums and the rest of the world has to do with a roof.
If you don't need a roof then it is your problem. The rest of the world doesn't like to stay two hours in pouring rain. So we cover the stands of a ground. Roofs increase the construction cost only marginal anyway. So why the fuss about it. It is necessary.

Quote:
Unlike you, we like to be creative.
What has a roof to do with creativity?

Quote:
same to you buddy

He isn't a troll just because he doesn't join in the Let's-all-praise-America singsong. He just reminded you that there is more than just the USA.

Quote:
Reliant Stadium
Qwest Field
Gillette Stadium
LP Field
Cleveland Browns Stadium
Soldier Field
Bank of American Stadium
Raymond James Stadium
New Cowboys Stadium
New Giants Stadium
the list goes on...
That does mean much. Football is absolutely secondary for these venues. FIFA guidelines were only considered because they could be integrated and didn't stand against any aspect of the main use.

Last edited by flierfy; October 31st, 2008 at 12:33 AM. Reason: agver
flierfy no está en línea  
Old October 31st, 2008, 12:52 AM   #718
Benjuk

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
anyway, the current 32 team format is perfect and changing it would allow too many mediocre teams
No reason 40 sides would decrease the quality, you could argue that it would actually increase the quality...

9 of the top 22 teams in the world, according to the (flawed) FIFA rankings, failed to make it to Germany 06. If they handled the distribution of places for the finals correctly there's no reason the quality would decrease.

For example - who would be more at home in a tournament of the world's greatest teams:

Trinidad & Tobago, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Togo, Serbia/Montenegro and Tunisia (highest ranked at 47)

or

Russia, Cameroon, Turkey, Greece, Uruguay and Bulgaria (all ranked in top 20)

There should be opportunities for the 'smaller' nations to qualify, but there should also be better chances for the 'better' footballing nations to qualify.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old October 31st, 2008, 02:21 AM   #719
en1044
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
If you don't need a roof then it is your problem. The rest of the world doesn't like to stay two hours in pouring rain. So we cover the stands of a ground. Roofs increase the construction cost only marginal anyway. So why the fuss about it. It is necessary.

What has a roof to do with creativity?

He isn't a troll just because he doesn't join in the Let's-all-praise-America singsong. He just reminded you that there is more than just the USA.

That does mean much. Football is absolutely secondary for these venues. FIFA guidelines were only considered because they could be integrated and didn't stand against any aspect of the main use.
we have absolutely no need for roofs. It may not cost a lot, but it completely changes the design of the stadium. European stadiums have influenced stadiums all over the world, except North and south america. It rains in Europe, so it was standard procedure to put roofs on stadiums, and the trend spread whether roofs were needed or not. The US is across the ocean so european designs never made it here and we wernt influenced by them. No rain here=no roofs. It ISNT necessary because it DOESNT rain here.

What it has to do with creativity???? Its the defining difference between European style and american style. The focus in european stadiums is the exterior, and creative ways to put on the roof seems to be popular. Putting a roof on a stadium usually means that the stadium will be symmetrical in design with all the tiers even because its the easiest way to but on a roof. The interior in european stadiums tends to not differ form field to field. Now look at american stadiums. No roof means that there is more freedom to be creative with the interior. you will see that since we dont have roofs we can have one side of the stadium look completely different than the other side. Sure you can put a roof on it, but it would look horrible. So to sum up...Europe-focus on the exterior. America- focus on the interior.

they may be secondary but they were still built with soccer in mind. They are all capable of hosting the game.
Old October 31st, 2008, 02:27 AM   #720
KingmanIII

Likes (Received): 416

Quote:
Oh and another thing...New Wembley was designed by HOK, an American firm, and is quite american in design.
And Brit Oval, Croke Park, Emirates, Algarve, da Luz, Lansdowne, Hong Kong Stadium (and Racecourse), Suncorp, ANZ, Telstra Dome, O2 (both London and Berlin), Ascot Racecourse, Penang Racecourse, Lingotto Oval, Nanjing Sports Park, the new Monterrey stadium, London Olympic Stadium, MK Dons stadium, the Wimbledon roof, the Dubai World Trade Center, etc..

Don't forget about other American firms like HKS, Sink Combs and Ellerbe Becket, who designed Liverpool's new stadium, Saitama Arena, Guangdong, and the Inner Mongolia Arena.
KingmanIII no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
los angeles, united states of america, world cup