daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools
Old November 2nd, 2008, 02:03 AM   #761
Arist
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas
Posts: 368
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-marien-x View Post
very beautiful stadium for a american's team
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
The problem with American stadia is not field size, but rather the hideous viewing angles created by NFL teams having 100+ guys on the sideline for their games. The stands do not begin at field level, but atop ugly walls surrounding the field.
American Football teams require more people for operations then Soccer, and those walls keep the fans away better then the lack of walls in Soccer stadiums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
Honestly, no. That stadium in Arlington is huge. Yes. But there is nothing that really impresses me. Large stadia always tend to struggle to create some atmosphere. Especially when most people in the ground are corporate ***** that paid several $100.000.

So I for one would prefer the ground in Harrison, NJ. Rather modest sized but great than huge and quiet.
You have no idea about American Stadiums, they create fan experiences because we cant go to every single home game. Barley 1/4th of the crowd is "cooperate *****" (as you like to call them) At least US fields are not taken over by distracting advertisements right next to the boundary taking your attention away from the match (especially those new video ones) and every team kit has a corporate logo dominating it and you have No idea who is who because you cant see your teams Logo. I mean, whats the point of even having one? They should just be the Emirates instead of the Arsenal.
Arist no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old November 2nd, 2008, 02:04 AM   #762
en1044
Unregistered User
 
en1044's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,405
Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
I wouldn't attribute the lack of roofs solely to the climate. When you look around Europe you find most roofless grounds in southern and eastern Europe which are also the economically less advanced regions.
The construction of a roof often fails due to the lack of money. But as soon as cities and regions get wealthier the football stadiums there sooner or later get covered.
You mentioned Spain where most of the grounds date back to the 1950s. Back then the country was one of the poorest. That has changed. And with this newly gained wealth they cover all seats. Valencia, Espanyol and Barcelona are just the prime examples of a general trend.
Italy is similar. The economic divide between the north and the south makes the difference between stadium in various regions of the country. The dry climate is just a bad excuse to omit the construction of a roof.
a few posts ago you said that roofs arent that much money, now you are saying that the lack of them can be attributed to extra costs. Look, we dont want them, we dont need them. They serve us no purpose, we are PLENTY loud without them. I just dont know how you can see the world in such a centrist viewpoint.
__________________
WASHINGTON REDSKINS
en1044 no está en línea  
Old November 2nd, 2008, 02:45 AM   #763
JYDA
Registered User
 
JYDA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,172
Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
I wouldn't attribute the lack of roofs solely to the climate. When you look around Europe you find most roofless grounds in southern and eastern Europe which are also the economically less advanced regions.
The construction of a roof often fails due to the lack of money. But as soon as cities and regions get wealthier the football stadiums there sooner or later get covered.
You mentioned Spain where most of the grounds date back to the 1950s. Back then the country was one of the poorest. That has changed. And with this newly gained wealth they cover all seats. Valencia, Espanyol and Barcelona are just the prime examples of a general trend.
Italy is similar. The economic divide between the north and the south makes the difference between stadium in various regions of the country. The dry climate is just a bad excuse to omit the construction of a roof.
Not buying the Spanish economy argument. Tiny clubs in England can all somehow afford to cover their stands while large well resourced clubs like Villareal, Valencia, Atletico, Sevilla, Barcelona and Betis have taken 50 years to even consider it despite undergoing several renos and expansions during that time. Yes, the new roof phenomenon in Spain is starting to catch on and more and more spanish clubs are beginning to cover their stands including some of the clubs I just listed and the ones you listed. But when just 10 years ago a massive club like Valencia shells out mega cash to add a third tier to their stadium and doesn't even bother with a roof (an inexpensive investment depending on which of your posts we want to rely on) should tell you something.
JYDA no está en línea  
Old November 2nd, 2008, 07:10 AM   #764
hngcm
Registered User
 
hngcm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,644
Likes (Received): 20

Yeah, the USA is too poor to build roofs.
hngcm no está en línea  
Old November 2nd, 2008, 07:14 AM   #765
Bigmac1212
My mind is fragile
 
Bigmac1212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Sun Devil Country
Posts: 995
Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by hngcm View Post
Yeah, the USA is too poor to build roofs.
No, the stadiums are mainly design for American football, and those gridiron fans usually doesn't want a roof.
Bigmac1212 no está en línea  
Old November 2nd, 2008, 09:13 AM   #766
SIC
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 290
Likes (Received): 0

Yeah, a roof doesn't protect you from snow. So NFL teams don't bother...if the weather is that bad during the season they get retractable roofs or play indoors. The trend is definitely retractable roofs.

The only one that has a european style roof is Seattle.

SHOCKER! Seattle probably has the closest climate to England in the US.

But NFL fans just expect to brave the weather, It's point of pride. Like "this is how much we love our team". People in Chicago didn't want a roof, it was seen as too effeminate. Plus theres very little benefit when most games are played in overcast winter days. It really doesn't rain that often and if it does...people just get on with it. Just like the players.

As for the new Dallas stadium, it's basically the same as Wembley, "The Home of Football". Although Wembley is pretty quiet, but I really blame the fans and ticket prices more than the stadium.
SIC no está en línea  
Old November 2nd, 2008, 10:22 AM   #767
sauronbcn
Registered User
 
sauronbcn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Earthquakeland, BC
Posts: 1,018
Likes (Received): 414

I dont want the World Cup in the USA again ,because they dont care, about the most important sport in the world .Football not soccer and the USA stadiums are for american football ,I like more the stadiums desings only for football .
sauronbcn no está en línea  
Old November 2nd, 2008, 10:40 AM   #768
SIC
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 290
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauronbcn View Post
I dont want the World Cup in the USA again ,because they dont care, about the most important sport in the world .Football not soccer and the USA stadiums are for american football ,I like more the stadiums desings only for football .
Whatever. Way to add nothing to the conversation .
SIC no está en línea  
Old November 2nd, 2008, 10:52 AM   #769
sauronbcn
Registered User
 
sauronbcn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Earthquakeland, BC
Posts: 1,018
Likes (Received): 414

Yes , if the people of the USA dont care about the world cup, who the hell want to make the world cup there?
sauronbcn no está en línea  
Old November 2nd, 2008, 11:54 AM   #770
carlspannoosh
Registered User
 
carlspannoosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Islington
Posts: 2,215
Likes (Received): 744

If the USA held the tournament again I would prefer them to choose their roofed stadiums.Those stadiums do tend to be more complimentary to football ambience than unroofed ones.Songs and chants and roars are intensified. It helps to create the couldron effect.
Someone mentioned that a world record for noise had been set in an American stadium without a roof. As far as I can remember it was at Denver and it was a concerted attempt by 80k fans to break the record during a half time interval. The noise recorded was actually lower in decibels than was recorded at a Cup Final a year or so later between Chelsea and Liverpool at the roofed Millenium stadium. That noise was created when Liverpool scored. The thing is, that would mean only half of the stadium was making the noise so there you go.I would take that stuff with a pinch of salt. A roof is just a preference for me and certainly not a necessity.
Having said that USA has a fantastic stadium infrastructure and there is no doubt every stadium would have a roof if they chose to make that the priority.Roofs dont help gridiron stadiium ambience but they do for soccer, simple as that.
If 1994 is anything to go by the stadiums would be full and the whole event would be very well organised.
carlspannoosh no está en línea  
Old November 2nd, 2008, 01:49 PM   #771
hngcm
Registered User
 
hngcm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,644
Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmac1212 View Post
No, the stadiums are mainly design for American football, and those gridiron fans usually doesn't want a roof.
I was being sarcastic.
hngcm no está en línea  
Old November 2nd, 2008, 06:26 PM   #772
SIC
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 290
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauronbcn View Post
Yes , if the people of the USA dont care about the world cup, who the hell want to make the world cup there?
Except that people do care and about soccer. The fact that soccer isn't popular isn't as true as it was 15 years ago. Why do you think all the new stadiums are designed with world cup specs in mind? For the hell of it?

Why did ESPN show all of Euro 2008 live? That's right, because they had good ratings. You're honestly just trolling and please go away if you're not going to even try bringing up facts instead of just wild generalizations.

Anyway, Internationals don't have the same atmosphere and chants as the club game. It just doesn't since it's not usually the same groups of people who know each other and sit next to each other 30 times a year.
Except for like Croatia, Turkey, and a few other of the smaller countries You really didn't hear much of anything during Euro except seven nation army. It's sorta counterintuitive when you think about it. I mean...I don't remember Italian, German, Dutch and Spanish fans being all that great. Especially the Spanish ones, they just sit there in their fancy leather jackets and talk on the phone. At least thats what you see whenever you see a Spanish game.
The English fans...meh...I'm assuming anyone really loud and committed has probably been banned for showing too much passion (i.e. standing up).

Sooooo.........not having a roof isn't why a WC in the US wouldn't be as loud as your typical game. I mean....5,000 croatian ultras pretty much owned Wembley last year. The rest of the Wembley crowd being a bunch of prawn eaters and dilettantes instead of hardcore supporters. Which is pretty much your usual World cup/major tourney attendee, prawn sandwich types, corporate VIPS and people who don't usually go to that many games.

Chants end up being of the lowest common denominating type, like...Seven Nation Army or....."Ole, ole ole" *shudder* and the wave *double shudder*.

Although any games involving Mexico and the US will be loud as hell and if they meet up in the knockout stage. Forget it, it will be legendary and there will be a riot in the stands no matter who wins.

Last edited by SIC; November 2nd, 2008 at 06:34 PM.
SIC no está en línea  
Old November 2nd, 2008, 06:32 PM   #773
en1044
Unregistered User
 
en1044's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,405
Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlspannard View Post
If the USA held the tournament again I would prefer them to choose their roofed stadiums.Those stadiums do tend to be more complimentary to football ambience than unroofed ones.Songs and chants and roars are intensified. It helps to create the couldron effect.
Someone mentioned that a world record for noise had been set in an American stadium without a roof. As far as I can remember it was at Denver and it was a concerted attempt by 80k fans to break the record during a half time interval. The noise recorded was actually lower in decibels than was recorded at a Cup Final a year or so later between Chelsea and Liverpool at the roofed Millenium stadium. That noise was created when Liverpool scored. The thing is, that would mean only half of the stadium was making the noise so there you go.I would take that stuff with a pinch of salt. A roof is just a preference for me and certainly not a necessity.
Having said that USA has a fantastic stadium infrastructure and there is no doubt every stadium would have a roof if they chose to make that the priority.Roofs dont help gridiron stadiium ambience but they do for soccer, simple as that.
If 1994 is anything to go by the stadiums would be full and the whole event would be very well organised.
no we set the record at this game, Clemson University vs the University of Miami



or perhaps the famed LSU earthquake game...

__________________
WASHINGTON REDSKINS
en1044 no está en línea  
Old November 2nd, 2008, 06:36 PM   #774
en1044
Unregistered User
 
en1044's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,405
Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauronbcn View Post
Yes , if the people of the USA dont care about the world cup, who the hell want to make the world cup there?
take you uninformed information elsewhere, you obviously know nothing about the united states
__________________
WASHINGTON REDSKINS
en1044 no está en línea  
Old November 2nd, 2008, 08:13 PM   #775
nyrmetros
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,274
Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauronbcn View Post
I dont want the World Cup in the USA again ,because they dont care, about the most important sport in the world .Football not soccer and the USA stadiums are for american football ,I like more the stadiums desings only for football .

Whether a stadium is designed for American Football, World Football, or Rugby, the dimensions of the field are not going to be much different these days. Once again, World Cup'94 was the highest attended and most profitiable World Cup ever. The next World Cup in the unified colonies would smash ALL FIFA records.
nyrmetros no está en línea  
Old November 2nd, 2008, 08:52 PM   #776
flierfy
Registered User
 
flierfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,882
Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIC View Post
Except that people do care and about soccer. The fact that soccer isn't popular isn't as true as it was 15 years ago. Why do you think all the new stadiums are designed with world cup specs in mind? For the hell of it?
To make more money by a few more games? Anyway, just because its popularity is growing doesn't mean the game is actual popular. Football is the fifth, maybe forth, most popular sport in the USA and nowhere near as popular as in other parts of the world.
So it is still true enough to claim it was unpopular and has nothing to do with trolling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIC View Post
Why did ESPN show all of Euro 2008 live? That's right, because they had good ratings. You're honestly just trolling and please go away if you're not going to even try bringing up facts instead of just wild generalizations.
The fact that ESPN showed all Euro 2008 games says very little. They got the broadcasting rights almost for free. And with kick-offs at noon Euro-football displaced only irrelevant parts of their program. So, it's no big deal.
__________________
Rippachtal.de
flierfy no está en línea  
Old November 2nd, 2008, 09:29 PM   #777
berkshire royal
Registered User
 
berkshire royal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Reading, Berkshire
Posts: 557
Likes (Received): 1

I think people need to realise that this is for a World Cup bid in 2022 that's a full 14 years away who knows how much the sport may have grown in that time and also how many new stadiums will have been built (WITH ROOf’s). By giving a WC to the US they could boost the sport's popularity much like it did in Japan + Korea back in 2002.

The simple fact is that a US bid would be very solid and among the best (with or without a roof covering the stands), but I also think that the concessions made back in 1994 would most certainly not be made this time around FIFA has enough over strong bids to choose from, so the US would have to make a strong concerted effort to win the rights to host.

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1044 View Post
no we set the record at this game, Clemson University vs the University of Miami
Do you know what the decibel's we're for the Clemson University-University of Miami game we're, because the English media said that the Besiktas fans broke the record last year with what was reported was 132/148 decibels when they played Liverpool.



And that was with only 25,000 fans not 75,000. It should also be noted that the Inonu Stadium has a roof covering only 3 of it's stands and even then it's pretty limited, so to be honest who knows how much effect having a roof has on noise levels, we all know the most important factor is how much noise the fans themselves make not whether a roof covers the stadium.

To be honest I think all this stuff about roof's and their impact is a load of bs, although I think it is important I think there are many things that are more important then whether or not a stadium has a roof.

Last edited by berkshire royal; November 2nd, 2008 at 09:46 PM.
berkshire royal no está en línea  
Old November 3rd, 2008, 02:35 AM   #778
nyrmetros
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,274
Likes (Received): 19

The biggest difference obviously betwen american and euro pro sports fans is that American fans usually just make a wall of noise, while the Europs will sing and chant in an organized manner for the full game. Dunno how that relates to having a roof or not though. lol
nyrmetros no está en línea  
Old November 3rd, 2008, 03:34 AM   #779
en1044
Unregistered User
 
en1044's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,405
Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkshire royal View Post
I think people need to realise that this is for a World Cup bid in 2022 that's a full 14 years away who knows how much the sport may have grown in that time and also how many new stadiums will have been built (WITH ROOf’s). By giving a WC to the US they could boost the sport's popularity much like it did in Japan + Korea back in 2002.

The simple fact is that a US bid would be very solid and among the best (with or without a roof covering the stands), but I also think that the concessions made back in 1994 would most certainly not be made this time around FIFA has enough over strong bids to choose from, so the US would have to make a strong concerted effort to win the rights to host.



Do you know what the decibel's we're for the Clemson University-University of Miami game we're, because the English media said that the Besiktas fans broke the record last year with what was reported was 132/148 decibels when they played Liverpool.



And that was with only 25,000 fans not 75,000. It should also be noted that the Inonu Stadium has a roof covering only 3 of it's stands and even then it's pretty limited, so to be honest who knows how much effect having a roof has on noise levels, we all know the most important factor is how much noise the fans themselves make not whether a roof covers the stadium.

To be honest I think all this stuff about roof's and their impact is a load of bs, although I think it is important I think there are many things that are more important then whether or not a stadium has a roof.
im honestly not sure what the record was, but i know that the next year in the same stadium Clemson vs. Georgia Tech broke 130 dB
__________________
WASHINGTON REDSKINS
en1044 no está en línea  
Old November 3rd, 2008, 04:34 AM   #780
Alx-D
Arch Duke of Canada
 
Alx-D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Niagara Falls
Posts: 209
Likes (Received): 0

Roofs are good, period, full stop. They provide shade, shelter, and amplify noise. It doesn't matter whether or not a university stadium set the decibel record, it would've been louder with a roof. Who doesn't like louder?

However, just because a stadium doesn't have a roof doesn't make it sub-standard. Anyone who wants to use this as an excuse for the USA not to hold the World Cup is seriously grasping at straws. America has the best stadium infrastructure in the world. If they host another WC it will shatter all attendance records.
Alx-D no está en línea  


Closed Thread

Tags
los angeles, united states of america, world cup

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu