daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old November 3rd, 2008, 05:37 AM   #781
SIC

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
To make more money by a few more games? Anyway, just because its popularity is growing doesn't mean the game is actual popular. Football is the fifth, maybe forth, most popular sport in the USA and nowhere near as popular as in other parts of the world.
So it is still true enough to claim it was unpopular and has nothing to do with trolling.

The fact that ESPN showed all Euro 2008 games says very little. They got the broadcasting rights almost for free. And with kick-offs at noon Euro-football displaced only irrelevant parts of their program. So, it's no big deal.
But why weren't they shown 10 years ago or even 5 years ago? Because now those broadcast have a decent audience that wasn't there before. the ratings for the World Cup were great, bigger than the ratings for the World Series.

Now....15 more years of growth and including a thriving league. Sure, we will never be the top sport...but we wont have to be. Even if just 20% of the population cares that will be more than enough to make the World Cup a success.

Plus since we all watch the game now, the crowds will actually cheer at the right times. But oh god, what will all you Brits have to say when we prove this country can finally appreciate the sport (at least the blue state part, you know...Fake America). We finally have decent beer too...what ever will your lord over us?
SIC no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old November 3rd, 2008, 06:14 AM   #782
KingmanIII

Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
The biggest difference obviously betwen american and euro pro sports fans is that American fans usually just make a wall of noise, while the Europs will sing and chant in an organized manner for the full game. Dunno how that relates to having a roof or not though. lol
Because in American football, that wall of noise makes it difficult for the opposing team's offense to hear the quarterback's cadence and audibles. Singing usually doesn't have that effect.
KingmanIII no está en línea  
Old November 3rd, 2008, 09:21 AM   #783
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYDA View Post
If you look at Germany for example, all of their new stadiums are being built with these "ugly walls" to improve views. If you've ever sat in the first row at an English stadium you can attest to the fact that the view stinks. In lower league games where the games don't sell out nobody sits in the first few rows for this very reason. For older stadiums like White Hart Lane where the stands are extremely close to the pitch it makes sense for the first row to be at ground level. However, at new grounds where the first row is set well back from the touch line (Emirates for example) the spectator sightline angle becomes shallower when the first row remains at ground level. The walls are simply meant to compensate for this.
No, you don't seem to know what I'm talking about. Compare the modest front row at Allianz Arena to the front row that's ten feet up at Reliant Stadium. When the soccer pitch is laid out on NFL fields, the front row is very close but too high. It's not like having to look over a running track.
Quote:
Originally Posted by en1044 View Post
well, uh..having watched a soccer game at an NFL stadium sitting next to the so called "ugly walls", i can tell you that me viewing experience was just fine
Do you have to get offended by everything in this forum?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arist View Post
American Football teams require more people for operations then Soccer, and those walls keep the fans away better then the lack of walls in Soccer stadiums.
Like what? Photographers? Cheerleaders? The guys with the dome microphones? Oh yes, this is all necessary.
krudmonk no está en línea  
Old November 3rd, 2008, 05:00 PM   #784
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post

Do you have to get offended by everything in this forum?
uh, no. I just hate ignorance. If you are going to talk on this forum then you better know what you are talking about (somewhat)

Quote:
Like what? Photographers? Cheerleaders? The guys with the dome microphones? Oh yes, this is all necessary.
having seen the redskins play at RFK stadium (where the seats go all the way to the field) which was designed more for baseball than football, i can tell you that it sucks. We have good reason for having walls. Excuse us for wanting a better view.

Last edited by en1044; November 3rd, 2008 at 05:17 PM.
en1044 no está en línea  
Old November 3rd, 2008, 05:06 PM   #785
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

Quote:
NFL rosters are about 65 players strong, most of them mulling around and standing on the sidelines during the game. And most of those players are 6' or taller. Thus, if you're on the sidelines for an NFL game you need to be a substantial level above the field surface to see properly.

Unless you just like staring at a bunch of butts, in which case if that's your thing who am I to judge.
Old November 3rd, 2008, 05:50 PM   #786
SIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingmanIII View Post
Because in American football, that wall of noise makes it difficult for the opposing team's offense to hear the quarterback's cadence and audibles. Singing usually doesn't have that effect.
Plus the games are longer and theres way more lulls in action.
Soccer just lends itself to singing and chanting more than just making noise in a way that most American sports don't.

But it's pretty irrelevant you never really hear anything like Besiktas at an international game. Since clubs play every week unlike national teams. Who play all over the world and if you're lucky you'll see them twice a year in person.
SIC no está en línea  
Old November 3rd, 2008, 07:32 PM   #787
massp88

Likes (Received): 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
NFL rosters are about 65 players strong, most of them mulling around and standing on the sidelines during the game. And most of those players are 6' or taller. Thus, if you're on the sidelines for an NFL game you need to be a substantial level above the field surface to see properly.

Unless you just like staring at a bunch of butts, in which case if that's your thing who am I to judge.
NFL have 53 man rosters. And a lot of the guys who don't start on offense or defense, play on special teams. So out of that 53 man roster, only a small amount don't see the field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
Honestly, no. That stadium in Arlington is huge. Yes. But there is nothing that really impresses me. Large stadia always tend to struggle to create some atmosphere. Especially when most people in the ground are corporate ***** that paid several $100.000.

So I for one would prefer the ground in Harrison, NJ. Rather modest sized but great than huge and quiet.

The new Cowboys stadium is going to be a big step down in terms of atmosphere when compared to the current stadium. Compare it to the current Staples Center in LA. They left the Great Western Forum, an awesome venue, for a new modern stadium with a ton of club seats and luxury boxes and the atmosphere went with it. I will bet the same will happen in the new Cowboys stadium. Look at it, there are luxury boxes and club seats everywhere. Sure the thing can handled 80,000 plus, but when you put the amount of boxes and club seats in that they are, it really pushes fans farther back and spaces things was out.

It happens all the time with new stadiums and arenas. The only exception would probably be the Bell Centre in Montreal which has managed to keep a similar feel of the old forum.
massp88 no está en línea  
Old November 3rd, 2008, 08:48 PM   #788
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by massp88 View Post
NFL have 53 man rosters. And a lot of the guys who don't start on offense or defense, play on special teams. So out of that 53 man roster, only a small amount don't see the field.
You can have 53 on the roster, but only 48 can be active. Add on 8 practice squad players and the players on IR and you can have 70 players or more on the sidelines.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old November 3rd, 2008, 08:54 PM   #789
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
You can have 53 on the roster, but only 48 can be active. Add on 8 practice squad players and the players on IR and you can have 70 players or more on the sidelines.
And none on the field?
WeimieLvr no está en línea  
Old November 3rd, 2008, 09:44 PM   #790
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeimieLvr View Post
And none on the field?
Timeouts, breaks in play, etc. At times you could have them all on the sidelines. The point is that there are a lot of people on the sidelines during football games and the higher walls around the fields are necessary for spectators to see over all the people. If not for the high walls you would be staring at player's backs.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old November 3rd, 2008, 10:35 PM   #791
krudmonk
sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1044 View Post
uh, no. I just hate ignorance. If you are going to talk on this forum then you better know what you are talking about (somewhat)

having seen the redskins play at RFK stadium (where the seats go all the way to the field) which was designed more for baseball than football, i can tell you that it sucks. We have good reason for having walls. Excuse us for wanting a better view.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post

You're both so in love with the status quo that you seem to miss the fact that it can all be solved by having people sit down.
Old November 3rd, 2008, 11:01 PM   #792
SIC

Quote:
You're both so in love with the status quo that you seem to miss the fact that it can all be solved by having people sit down.
Even so....higher walls help.

It's not honestly not a dealbreaker and not so different than newer stadiums in Europe built on *gasp* American models. Like Emirates, sure they're a little higher. The effect negligible either way.But honestly unless you're sitting in the front row you wouldn't even think about it. But who would nitpick like that if they're front row at a world cup game, that the experience could be 1% better of the walls were oh so lightly lower. We should all be so lucky.

I'll be lucky if I'm not sitting in the furthest tier of the stadium.
SIC no está en línea  
Old November 3rd, 2008, 11:40 PM   #793
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

Quote:
Actually, it can't. NFL players are entering and leaving the game all the time. Simply coming back and sitting down would contribute to muscle cramps and strains. They need to move around and stay loose. In soccer you've maybe 5 players who'll need to leave their seats and warm up, so they're hardly obstructing the view. Different game for American football and you will quite simply have too many people moving around in front of field level seats to make that view attractive.

I've no problem with field level seats for soccer and am all for measures that allow fans to be as close to the game as possible, but for an American football-centered stadium the sidelines seats need to begin elevated above field level.

Seriously, though, what's the big deal? Unless that's the only sightline you're used to there's nary a difference between row 20 in an NFL venue and row 20 in a large soccer venue.
Old November 4th, 2008, 01:51 AM   #794
Alx-D
Arch Duke of Canada

I can understand the high walls. My only NFL game so far was at Ralph Wilson stadium. The seats were first row, 50 yard line. Sounds incredible but you can't see shit unless you're at least 5 rows up. Even sitting atop a 5' wall all I saw was a bunch of fat guys standing on the sideline, watching the game I paid to see. Every once and awhile the sideline camera would roll on by so I couldn't even see the fat guys. After watching the first 3 quarters on the jumbotron we just left.

The big problem is that the players stand right on the sideline so you can't see over them.
Alx-D no está en línea  
Old November 4th, 2008, 07:10 AM   #795
Arist
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Head Coach, Offensive Coordinator, Defensive Coordinator, Assistant Coaches, 53 man roster, training staff, reporters, camera men, security, Medical Staff, Logistics crew for moving equipment, Practice squad, VIP, so on and so on.

I would not expect a watcher of a simple game like soccer to understand.
Arist no está en línea  
Old November 4th, 2008, 08:11 AM   #796
nyrmetros

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Head Coach, Offensive Coordinator, Defensive Coordinator, Assistant Coaches, 53 man roster, training staff, reporters, camera men, security, Medical Staff, Logistics crew for moving equipment, Practice squad, VIP, so on and so on.

too much going on the in the sidelines for my taste......
nyrmetros no está en línea  
Old November 4th, 2008, 08:25 AM   #797
krudmonk
sucks

Quote:

God damn, my fellow Americans are quite sensitive an arrogant on this board. I was an NFL fan long before I even knew of soccer, but I still think there's too damn much peripheral shit going on. No need to bash soccer just because I complained about people standing in the way. Relax, Bubba.
Old November 4th, 2008, 02:00 PM   #798
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Which gives us an idea why this game can only be played in a country populated by 300 millions...
Old November 4th, 2008, 03:01 PM   #799
melbstud

Likes (Received): 7

Nothing againt America but I hope Australia gets it!!!.
melbstud no está en línea  
Old November 4th, 2008, 05:03 PM   #800
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Stop with your USA hate you fascist!

Closed Thread

Tags
los angeles, united states of america, world cup