daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old February 6th, 2009, 09:17 PM   #861
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

One isn't a hater just for mentioning the weakest point in the American bid. It is a fact that a standardised football pitch* doesn't fit in many of the mentioned venues, at least not without significant alteration of the current layout.

It would leave a bad taste in the mouth if the FIFA lifts it's regulation for one country while it keeps bullying other hosts with ridiculous requirements. I spotted not a single NFL venue that has its player tunnel on the halfway line. I wonder if that has to be changed as it had in Kaiserslautern for the 2006 World Cup.

* although I've never been in favour of such strict rules

Sponsored Links
Old February 6th, 2009, 09:45 PM   #862
RobH

Likes (Received): 10569

The rules aren't strict at all flierfy! There is an awful lot of leeway in the size of pitches according to the laws of the game. You could technically have a square pitch if you went as wide and as short as was allowed (although I'm not aware of any that exist!):

Trouble is, a standard NFL pitch is at the very low end of this range in terms of the width (160 feet = 53 yards):

But, as has been pointed out, the USA know what they're doing and will avoid stadiums with narrow pitches.
RobH no está en línea  
Old February 6th, 2009, 09:57 PM   #863
www.sercan.de
Galatasaray SK

Likes (Received): 2725

FIFA wants 105m*68m which is nowadys the standard for pro football.

ULEB Eurocup (1): 2016

FIBA EuroLeague Women (1): 2014
FIBA EuroCup Women (1): 2009

IWBF Champions Cup (5): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014
IWBF André Vergauwen Cup (1): 2017
IWBF Intercontinental Cup (4): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012

EJU Golden League (1): 2014
www.sercan.de no está en línea  
Old February 6th, 2009, 10:09 PM   #864
likasz

Likes (Received): 41

Sercan you're right.Since 2005 every new pitch should has 105x68m for FIFA offical matches.
American football pitch has around 110x49m and this a huge problem because we need 19m(width)!

Last edited by likasz; February 6th, 2009 at 10:17 PM.
likasz no está en línea  
Old February 6th, 2009, 10:10 PM   #865
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3240

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
One isn't a hater just for mentioning the weakest point in the American bid.
It is when it's repeated as nauseum despite the fact any rational person would realize the parties involved in the bid process already know that and have solutions in mind. (Which I said earlier on that same page!) FI...
Quote:
It is a fact that a standardised football pitch* doesn't fit in many of the mentioned venues, at least not without significant alteration of the current layout.
But those aren't the only facts, and this stance assumes the venues won't/can't be altered in order to incorporate a proper pitch and that instead FIFA will bend their rules to accommodate the US. Or that somewhere across the nation there are at least 10 venues perfectly capable of meeting FIFA standards without any modification needed. That's called being a hater or just being outright stupid. Yes, it's a given that as of right now, without any modification, most NFL venues can't accommodate FIFA standards. But for someone to assume, however, that the US bid doesn't take that into account, that FIFA wouldn't hold the US to a fair standard and that nothing will be altered prior to 2018 or 2022 is completely disingenuous and an insult to the bid organizers, if not the US in general (given the tone of some posts).

China's bid would likely rely on vacuous athletic stadiums with s*** sightlines and several towns ill equipped to handle tourists, to say nothing of political issues. Indonesia and others would rely heavily on brand new construction and likely lead to many white elephants and/or still require general athletic venues. Russia has, IIRC, only 1 venue currently WC worthy with only 2 others planned or in construction. These bids alone are BILLIONS of dollars away from feasibility, let alone warranting serious consideration! Yet the US is routinely slammed as unworthy because our state-of-the-art venues are "too skinny" for world football and we're somehow incapable of rectifying that matter over 8-12 years?!

Quote:
It would leave a bad taste in the mouth if the FIFA lifts it's regulation for one country while it keeps bullying other hosts with ridiculous requirements. I spotted not a single NFL venue that has its player tunnel on the halfway line. I wonder if that has to be changed as it had in Kaiserslautern for the 2006 World Cup.
I don't suppose England should be ruled out considering half their suggested venues (Old Trafford, St. James, Villa Park) don't meet the idealized standards? Nor does the Bernabeu and several Spanish venues, and so on. Meanwhile, if FIFA is so extremist as to require a tunnel at the halfway line then they truly have lost the plot. If in the grand scheme of architectural safety and accommodations that's something they're holding the line such that THAT rule alone could rule out a stadium, well then frankly I wouldn't want anything to do with them let alone see my confederation give them money or support. Seriously, that's more asinine than the distance from the pitch because it has no functional value. None. (Not ranting at you, here, just the idea of such a rule.)
Old February 6th, 2009, 10:11 PM   #866
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
The rules aren't strict at all flierfy! There is an awful lot of leeway in the size of pitches according to the laws of the game. You could technically have a square pitch if you went as wide and as short as was allowed (although I'm not aware of any that exist!)
Not for World Cup games. The FIFA requires a pitch size of 105 x 68 m [source (page 31)].
Old February 6th, 2009, 10:28 PM   #867
www.sercan.de
Galatasaray SK

Pitch at OT is 105*68m
http://www.******************/staticF...~131886,00.pdf
page 23

Old February 6th, 2009, 10:48 PM   #868
Joop20

Likes (Received): 4

Doesn't FIFA require at least the press and VIP sections to be covered by a roof? I think that's why they're putting up partial roofs in some of South Africa's stadiums for 2010. A lot of stadiums withouth a roof have been mentioned so far in this thread.
Joop20 no está en línea  
Old February 7th, 2009, 01:07 AM   #869
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

Likes (Received): 5227

Quote:
Originally Posted by hngcm View Post
I'm saying that either San Francisco or San Diego gets to host, whichever gets a new stadium the fastest.
I didnt know that the Chargers are getting a new stadium, is it U/C?? If it's not built, why not use the Qualcomm??

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea  
Old February 7th, 2009, 01:13 AM   #870
Bobby3

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwbakke View Post
Man, you're making me miss those days in RFK, with the stands literally bouncing and the fans chanting "We Want Dallas!" And when we used to win Super Bowls. Those were the days.

I'm with you on FedEx, too. It just isn't right.
The stands still bounce, you should check out a DC United game if you haven't been.

As run down as RFK is, it oozes character.
Bobby3 no está en línea  
Old February 7th, 2009, 02:26 AM   #871
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby3 View Post
The stands still bounce, you should check out a DC United game if you haven't been.

does this make you feel bad then?

Old February 7th, 2009, 02:44 AM   #872
Kapow32

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joop20 View Post
Doesn't FIFA require at least the press and VIP sections to be covered by a roof? I think that's why they're putting up partial roofs in some of South Africa's stadiums for 2010. A lot of stadiums withouth a roof have been mentioned so far in this thread.
all american stadiums have press sections indoors, built in with the suites, VIPs would get suites as well

p.s. first post!
Kapow32 no está en línea  
Old February 7th, 2009, 03:05 AM   #873
Bobby3

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1044 View Post
does this make you feel bad then?

I like that about it
Bobby3 no está en línea  
Old February 7th, 2009, 08:40 AM   #874
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Corey- View Post
I didnt know that the Chargers are getting a new stadium, is it U/C?? If it's not built, why not use the Qualcomm??
They're not, yet at least, they're working on it.

And Qualcomm is a dump, not good enough to unseat a SF stadium.
hngcm no está en línea  
Old February 7th, 2009, 09:11 AM   #875
KingmanIII

Likes (Received): 416

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
The rules aren't strict at all flierfy! There is an awful lot of leeway in the size of pitches according to the laws of the game. You could technically have a square pitch if you went as wide and as short as was allowed (although I'm not aware of any that exist!):

Trouble is, a standard NFL pitch is at the very low end of this range in terms of the width (160 feet = 53 yards):

But, as has been pointed out, the USA know what they're doing and will avoid stadiums with narrow pitches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by likasz View Post
Sercan you're right.Since 2005 every new pitch should has 105x68m for FIFA offical matches.
American football pitch has around 110x49m and this a huge problem because we need 19m(width)!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
Not for World Cup games. The FIFA requires a pitch size of 105 x 68 m [source (page 31)].
Quote:
Originally Posted by www.sercan.de View Post
Relax, guys, the playing surfaces at most of the stadiums being discussed are a good bit wider than the gridiron itself. Corner kicks aren't nearly as big of a deal as some people are making them out to be, either.

Freddy Adu lining up a corner at Qwest Field in Seattle:
image hosted on flickr

Andrés Guardado setting up a corner at Reliant Stadium in Houston:
image hosted on flickr

Landon Donovan taking a corner at University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale:
image hosted on flickr
KingmanIII no está en línea  
Old February 7th, 2009, 09:14 AM   #876
KingmanIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Corey- View Post
I didnt know that the Chargers are getting a new stadium, is it U/C??
Soon it will be...in Los Angeles.
Old February 7th, 2009, 03:35 PM   #877
Benjuk

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingmanIII View Post
Relax, guys, the playing surfaces at most of the stadiums being discussed are a good bit wider than the gridiron itself. Corner kicks aren't nearly as big of a deal as some people are making them out to be, either.

Andrés Guardado setting up a corner at Reliant Stadium in Houston:
image hosted on flickr
I can't remember the exact numbers and I can't get the FIFA regulations to download at the moment, but I believe they require the above mentioned field dimensions PLUS 7.5m on either side of the pitch and 8m between the goal-line and the crowd behind each goal (for advertising, tv sight lines, etc.). Most of the large English stadiums fail this test by a little, I'd guess from the images you supplied that most US stadiums would fail by a lot.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old February 7th, 2009, 06:04 PM   #878
www.sercan.de
Galatasaray SK

+6m at the sights and +7,5m at the goal stands

Old February 7th, 2009, 06:38 PM   #879
dwbakke

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby3 View Post

Oh, I go to all the DC United games, the atmosphere's fantastic. Too bad we only can get the lower bowl full, though. It's not quite the same as it was for the Skins.
dwbakke no está en línea  
Old February 7th, 2009, 09:01 PM   #880
KingmanIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjuk View Post
I can't remember the exact numbers and I can't get the FIFA regulations to download at the moment, but I believe they require the above mentioned field dimensions PLUS 7.5m on either side of the pitch and 8m between the goal-line and the crowd behind each goal (for advertising, tv sight lines, etc.). Most of the large English stadiums fail this test by a little, I'd guess from the images you supplied that most US stadiums would fail by a lot.
Wow, FIFA can be some real ****-retentive S.O.B.s, can't they? I can't imagine why so many countries haven't gotten tired of trying to cater to their every single whim and told them to piss off. I mean, it's a joke if they would turn down freaking ENGLAND for the pitches at a few stadiums being 3m too narrow to cram another billboard into the corner.

They want advertising? Why not just run picture-in-picture commercials at certain intervals during the match like they do on ESPN for UEFA coverage? Think they might have issues with the camera angles? SWITCH TO ANOTHER BLOODY ANGLE.

Sorry, guys, something tells me that FIFA are getting a kick out of making countries jump through various hoops just to be thrown a doggy treat. I, personally, will not be the least bit disappointed if FIFA reject the U.S.' 2018 and 2022 bids, because a month-long event ten years down the road is the least-pressing of our country's concerns at the moment.

Closed Thread

Tags
los angeles, united states of america, world cup