daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old April 16th, 2009, 12:29 AM   #981
skaP187

Likes (Received): 503

Whatīs this BS about roofs and Europe. The most beautifull stadiums of Europe are in Spain. Without roofs!!!
Roofs are ugly mop. They spoil the sight on the stands from above.
Besides that the most impressive club stadium in France only has un stand covered by a roof and thatīs the one in Marseile.
Allthough thatīs mop I think there is a minimum of seats that should be covered by roofs unfortuantly. Fifa regulation.
skaP187 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old April 16th, 2009, 01:20 AM   #982
Livno80101
studying

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaP187 View Post
Whatīs this BS about roofs and Europe. The most beautifull stadiums of Europe are in Spain. Without roofs!!!
Besides that the most impressive club stadium in France only has un stand covered by a roof and thatīs the one in Marseile.
Allthough thatīs mop I think there is a minimum of seats that should be covered by roofs unfortuantly. Fifa regulation.
stadiums in spain ara ugliest in europe after balcanic stadiums, many stands without any compactness, awful, I am Madridista, but bernabeu is awful, calderon, betis' stadium, and other old, while nou camp is nice, and new stadiums, like almeria's or mallorca's area beautiful.

I believe that USA will get hosting of World Cup after plea of Barack Obama, he is legend and I believe that Blatter will accept and he will help USA to host spectacl.
Livno80101 no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2009, 02:46 AM   #983
Kapow32

you know, i don't think FIFA is going to be too worried about having roofs over the stadiums, they have allowed world cups to take place in unroofed stadiums before(USA 94). When it comes to stadiums, FIFA is probably more worried about seating capacity, security, transportation, accomodations etc. etc., all categories the USA would score high in, if one were to grade them, especially seating capacity, is there any other country that can offer 60,000+ attendance for every game?
Kapow32 no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2009, 02:55 AM   #984
woozoo

Likes (Received): 188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livno80101 View Post
but bernabeu is awful
You're nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livno80101 View Post
I believe that USA will get hosting of World Cup after plea of Barack Obama, he is legend and I believe that Blatter will accept and he will help USA to host spectacl.
Isn't a formal government expression of interest in holding the FIFA world cup a normal thing? ie, the only reason this is getting any sort of publicity is due to
1 - Obama mania and
2 - He is American?
woozoo no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2009, 03:08 AM   #985
El Mariachi

Likes (Received): 5995

People have been saying Obama is going to do alot of stuff. Like gurantee Chicago the 2016 Olympics. I just want him to make the economy better and kill the pirates.
El Mariachi no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2009, 04:18 AM   #986
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

I think any positive Obama effect would pale compared to the Chicago 2016 bid. In 2016 there is a good chance he could still be President. In 2022 he will be an ex-President which doesn't carry the same stature. Also, he is from Chicago and lives in the neighborhood a short walking distance from the proposed Olympic stadium which is great storyline. The Olympics depend more on symbolic, optics, and personalities and the World Cup is more about the actual sport which is a good thing IMO. Still, he likely will not hurt the 2022 cause.
Old April 16th, 2009, 04:40 AM   #987
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9708

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaP187 View Post
Wrong example, As I already told, they want a roof !

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcdesprinces View Post
Ask to Marseille (on the Med sea) fans who don't have a roof over the four stands... They have never stop to ask for a roof since the refurbishment of their stadium in 1998 for the world cup, because of the violent and cold Mistral wind in the stadium and they can't hear their chants although they are some of the greatest fans of Europe !
Again, ask to them, they are jealous of the PSG fans because we have the best stadium of the Ligue 1, because the roof and the acoustic (this not only my point of view, but the result of opinion polls made in Marseille and with the players of the League !!)
parcdesprinces no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2009, 05:25 AM   #988
CaliforniaJones

Likes (Received): 255

This week end, I made some simulations of schedules of world cup in all bids/countries, except Russia, Indonesia and Qatar. These simulations are on excel. It was long to do this.
CaliforniaJones no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2009, 06:24 AM   #989
The-E-Vid
Politically Incorrect

Likes (Received): 789

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1044 View Post

Also, you are new here, but you will learn that we dont like roofs. Dont even bring that topic up.
Quote:

Because you're fairly new here, Ill tell you this. This argument has been done over and over again. You arent saying anything new.

Quote:

How can you tell me that im pretending to know everything? How are you not acting like someone who knows better than me? You are trying to tell us what we should have. We are fine with what we have, we dont need any input on it. We know the weather and culture here better than anyone else. We know what we're doing.

Obviously you dont realize the discussions that have been had on this site, as you are new.

Do not come here and tell me that I am wrong regarding my own country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcdesprinces View Post
This is arrogant !
Interesting debate..
The-E-Vid no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2009, 12:38 PM   #990
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

Roofs are a non-issue for the WC in the USA. Most stadiums have more than enough pressboxes + luxury boxes + club seats that are covered.

The only issue is having enough stadiums with wide enough dimensions, which also doesn't seem too much of an issue.
hngcm no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2009, 08:18 PM   #991
massp88

Likes (Received): 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Mariachi View Post
I disagree that these cities wouldn't be able to support these games with ticket sales and interest. I think you greatly underestimate Detroit and St. Louis when it comes to sports. Not to mention Detroit is a short drive from Toronto, which has a large international community. Indy is a few hours from Chicago, which also has a huge international community. You scoff at Atlanta, but its a bigger metro then Boston or San Francisco. The only concern out of those cities would be New Orleans. I don't think it really matters though, considering the ease of travel to the U.S. from international destinations, like Europe.
So you honestly believe that Detroit will be able to fill 2 stadiums at one time? I highly doubt it, even with Toronto being a short drive away. Look at the Makeup of the Metro Boston and Metro Atlanta areas. The metro Boston area is more diverse and Boston is a better sports supporting city than is Atlanta.

Chicago will be a host, therefore your idea that people will drive down from there to go to Indianapolis is moot. Indianapolis has a small metro area, a small foreign population and is not a city that supports their sports teams that well when compared to other cities (Philadelphia, Boston, New York, Dallas, etc)

Flat out, it will be highly unlikely that we will see St. Louis, San Antonio, Indianapolis host. Atlanta has a chance, but I would put it behind many other cities to host.
massp88 no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2009, 10:27 PM   #992
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9708

Quote:
Originally Posted by massp88 View Post
So you honestly believe that Detroit will be able to fill 2 stadiums at one time? I highly doubt it, even with Toronto being a short drive away. Look at the Makeup of the Metro Boston and Metro Atlanta areas. The metro Boston area is more diverse and Boston is a better sports supporting city than is Atlanta.

Chicago will be a host, therefore your idea that people will drive down from there to go to Indianapolis is moot. Indianapolis has a small metro area, a small foreign population and is not a city that supports their sports teams that well when compared to other cities (Philadelphia, Boston, New York, Dallas, etc)

Flat out, it will be highly unlikely that we will see St. Louis, San Antonio, Indianapolis host. Atlanta has a chance, but I would put it behind many other cities to host.
You seem forget the WC is also made for International fans, take a look at the fans in the stadiums during the past tournaments (France 98, Korea/Japan 2002 & Germany 2006 or during UEFA Euro), wherever is the stadium/city, it's full of fans came from the countries who are playing.
parcdesprinces no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2009, 11:09 PM   #993
berkshire royal

Likes (Received): 1

That’s my main worry about a US world cup. We all know that the stadiums and infrastructure in the US are top notch. But I think the atmosphere would be terrible in all honesty, I don't see Chicago / Dallas and the people of those cities dealing with 100,000 fans in their city the same way that Stuggart, Munich, Basel etc. did and did so very well. I also think that there could be a greater legacy from giving the World Cup to Australia or Indonesia. My overall assessment is that I am undecided on 2022 but for me 2018 has to go to England / Benelux.
berkshire royal no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2009, 11:20 PM   #994
westsidebomber

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkshire royal View Post

That’s my main worry about a US world cup. We all know that the stadiums and infrastructure in the US are top notch. But I think the atmosphere would be terrible in all honesty, I don't see Chicago / Dallas and the people of those cities dealing with 100,000 fans in their city the same way that Stuggart, Munich, Basel etc. did and did so very well. I also think that there could be a greater legacy from giving the World Cup to Australia or Indonesia. My overall assessment is that I am undecided on 2022 but for me 2018 has to go to England / Benelux.
What? You don't think that these major US cities can deal with 100,000 people coming into their city? I'll use Chicago as an example...Every summer the city hosts Lollapalooza, a 3-day concert event with an attendance of almost 250,000 people. Most major US cities hold events with similar attendances across the country on an annual basis. You obviously don't know anything about American cities if you don't think they can handle the crowds.
westsidebomber está en línea ahora  
Old April 16th, 2009, 11:56 PM   #995
berkshire royal

Likes (Received): 1

I have no doubt that they can handle the crowds the security and infrastructure would be top notch but I think the atmosphere would be rubbish.

We all know the US suspects soccer fans of being hooligans and it's not exactly the best kept secret that soccer isn't big in America the reality is I don't see people from Chicago enjoy having 40,000 English, Argentinian, Mexican, German etc etc fans drinking and singing until the early hours of the morning and I'm thinking as a fan who is planning to go to 2014 and went to the fan parks in 2006 that the experience wouldn't be the same in the US as it would be in England, Australia, Spain etc. The world cup is a whole lot more then the games at the stadiums and housing a few thousand fans, every game is like the super bowl and I'm sorry if you think that is a hugely over stated it is a fact the whole thing is miles bigger then what it was in 1994 and thousands upon thousands of fans from all over the world go to the thing.
berkshire royal no está en línea  
Old April 17th, 2009, 12:23 AM   #996
bigbossman

Likes (Received): 4

i agree with berkshire royal it's not the crowds per se, but the type of crowds. And by 2018 international travel would likely be even easier than now, meaning even more fans would travel from even more countries. In reality it could be an inundation and a massive culture clash.

I do however disagree that indonesia should get with in a sniff of the world cup, i'd rather hold it in Iran!
bigbossman no está en línea  
Old April 17th, 2009, 12:47 AM   #997
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Quote:

We all know the US suspects soccer fans of being hooligans and it's not exactly the best kept secret that soccer isn't big in America the reality is I don't see people from Chicago enjoy having 40,000 English, Argentinean, Mexican, German etc etc fans drinking and singing until the early hours of the morning .
Early morning hours? You are right, Chicagoans would be disappointed, in the fact that the imports couldn't keep up and match the enthusiasm. The Chicago Cubs provide the city an atmosphere 81 times per year, trust me the city (along with most major U.S. cities) would not be fazed.
Old April 17th, 2009, 01:02 AM   #998
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 113

Quote:

I have no doubt that they can handle the crowds the security and infrastructure would be top notch but I think the atmosphere would be rubbish.

We all know the US suspects soccer fans of being hooligans and it's not exactly the best kept secret that soccer isn't big in America the reality is I don't see people from Chicago enjoy having 40,000 English, Argentinian, Mexican, German etc etc fans drinking and singing until the early hours of the morning and I'm thinking as a fan who is planning to go to 2014 and went to the fan parks in 2006 that the experience wouldn't be the same in the US as it would be in England, Australia, Spain etc. The world cup is a whole lot more then the games at the stadiums and housing a few thousand fans, every game is like the super bowl and I'm sorry if you think that is a hugely over stated it is a fact the whole thing is miles bigger then what it was in 1994 and thousands upon thousands of fans from all over the world go to the thing.
You clearly dont know americans. Dont have that typical "Americans are intolerant of other people" mentality, it just isnt true. We would have no problem with all kinds of people in our cities. We dont have problems with other people.

Remember, the US is among the most ethnically diverse countries in the world.
Old April 17th, 2009, 01:05 AM   #999
perica

Likes (Received): 0

I think theres nothing wrong with USA as a candidate, they could host it in 2 years time and not to mention we are talking about 10+ years. The only thing that could stand in their way is other "more suitable" candidate or the one with better offer. All this roof talk is rubbish.
perica no está en línea  
Old April 17th, 2009, 01:27 AM   #1000
Livno80101
studying

Quote:

My overall assessment is that I am undecided on 2022 but for me 2018 has to go to England / Benelux.
area you normal? what benelux? it's the worst of bids after qatar's

they dont have cities big enough to host world cup, there are only four cities suitable for world cup (Amsterdam, Rotterdam and Eindhoven in NED and Bruxelles in Belgium)

all other cities are like villages for cities like Newcastle or Sheffield or some other city from England or even Russia (like Tomsk, Samara, Kazan). so i'd like England or Russia for '18 and Australia or USA for '22
Livno80101 no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
los angeles, united states of america, world cup