daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old April 21st, 2009, 12:37 AM   #1041
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by hingus2000 View Post
If I am wrong tell me, but there can't be too many team sports in which the US regularly compete internationally? (apart from soccer)

Australia is constantly playing Rugby Union, Rugby League, Cricket etc against other nations, and has held World Cups in all those events.

I can't see the US getting a World Cup before they give Australia a chance.
Yes, basketball and soccer. Baseball this year as well. Multiple olympics and tons of international conventions every year.

We're pretty good at this whole "international" thing.

Sponsored Links
Old April 21st, 2009, 12:57 AM   #1042
brummad
Oh! There he is!!

Likes (Received): 22

a purile and immature comment i know but all i can think about when combining the USA and WC is Diana Ross and the exploding goal posts....now before you all accuse me of bashing, I love the US but if i had the vote for 2022 it would be Oz
brummad no está en línea  
Old April 21st, 2009, 01:22 AM   #1043
El Mariachi

Likes (Received): 5995

I guess I am just not following. Australia would be better because it hosts cricket and rugby events? Don't see how this all correlates into Oz giving us a better W.C. Not saying that I have anything against Australia hosting this particular event. Its not like we are going to lose sleep, like the French people who wept after not getting the 2012 Olympics!

But personally, I just think people have little biases against the U.S. that go into these things.
El Mariachi no está en línea  
Old April 21st, 2009, 03:35 AM   #1044
berkshire royal

Likes (Received): 1

I have decided to leave commenting on this subject after I upset a few people, which wasn't my intention in any way. But I will try and make my point again but put it more subjectively and thought out manner. Let's not get this wrong I personally believe the 2018 World Cup should go to England and 2022 is a toss up between the US and Australia.

The reason that I believe that Australia deserve to be held in the same breath as a US bid is because it represents a new place for the World Cup to go unlike the US bid. And because they have a terrific record of hosting international tournaments their Olympics was among the best of all time, the Rugby World Cup was very well run and the Commonwealth Games weíre excellent. So for me it is a tough call and like I said it is a toss-up between the US and Australia both have the potential to host an excellent world cup.

There are plenty of plusses to a US world cup and I am sure I do not need to go in to depth about them as I am sure you are aware of them.

I don't have any major concerns of a World Cup in the US only minor ones. My first potential problem is that the US is a huge country and that will involve careful management of where the games will be played because the last thing you want is for a team to be travelling all across the US every few days. This is an obvious problem because it isn't good for the team to be flying around all the time it isn't good for preparation and is crap for conditioning, but more importantly it is terrible for fans it isn't cheap to be flying around a country of the US size and it runis the whole World Cup experience. This can be counteracted easily by making sure that teams don't leave a certain area of the country but at the last world cup they had teams moving all over the country and this was terrible planning simply put this cannot happen again.

My second one is that the US doesn't have much experience dealing with the interntaional football crowd. Donít get me wrong Iím not saying that the fans will look to destroy the cities and Iím not saying the US police force and people will suspect all of them of being like that. But like has been pointed out a number of times on this forum there are huge differences between US sport fans and soccer fans. It is one thing dealing with a concert crowd where is a similar crowd or the Super Bowl but it's a completely different thing dealing with dozens of different nationalities that have very different cultures and not just dealing with it for a one off weekend but for potentially a month. The fact is soccer fans may come across as being intimidating to people not familiar with that crowd we are talking about people that will be drinking in the centre of your cities, chanting (and not in a quiet friendly manor) swearing and to some that may seem intimidating. Now this is where it goes two ways will the US police force just be casual observers making sure no one goes to far, or will they see this as going to far and kick up a fuss and even arrest people which wouldn't be good for obvious reasons. Also will people in the US cities feel completely comfortable by the invasion of their cities? I hope that explained it a bit better then last time and I am NOT saying people in the US are xenophobic, racist or anything along those lines. I am sure they will be very hands on hosts and the majority will probably really enjoy the whole experience but itís the minority and that one moment of miss understanding that I am worried about if you know what I mean.
berkshire royal no está en línea  
Old April 21st, 2009, 03:37 AM   #1045
berkshire royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by brummad View Post
a purile and immature comment i know but all i can think about when combining the USA and WC is Diana Ross and the exploding goal posts....now before you all accuse me of bashing, I love the US but if i had the vote for 2022 it would be Oz
That has to be among the most painful things I have ever seen at a World Cup
Old April 21st, 2009, 03:52 AM   #1046
en1044
Unregistered User

I can understand that Australia should be included in the argument but i dont see how the US can be criticized so much for its ability to host the cup when its already done it before.
Old April 21st, 2009, 04:09 AM   #1047
berkshire royal

I'm not criticising the US ability to host the World Cup. I think the US could put on a great show but purely because the Australians haven't hosted a World Cup coupled with the fact they also have great experience of hosting international sporting events makes them an equal to a US bid in my eyes.

If the US hadn't hosted before or had in the 70s or earlier instead of the 90s I would be screaming for the US to get it because like I said my worries are only minor ones and they are far outweighed by plusses but I don't see why the US should get ahead of other nations that haven't hosted a World Cup before especially seeing as they have potentially a very good bid.
Old April 21st, 2009, 04:34 AM   #1048
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by hingus2000 View Post
If I am wrong tell me, but there can't be too many team sports in which the US regularly compete internationally? (apart from soccer)
Soccer, basketball ad hockey (which some of these rubes forgot).
krudmonk no está en línea  
Old April 21st, 2009, 04:42 AM   #1049
JYDA

Likes (Received): 94

The yanks are also 2nd in the world in Volleyball
JYDA no está en línea  
Old April 21st, 2009, 05:46 AM   #1050
woozoo

Likes (Received): 188

I cant believe there was discussion about USA not selling out games a few pages back!

94 was the highest attended WC EVER! In 28 years the population of USA would grow substantially so I cant see how there would be problems in 2022. The country has 300 million people! So many big cities and so many different nationalities to support teams.

New York and that tri state area would probably have enough Ghanaans and Jamaicans to sell out stadiums in which those countries played. Toronto (just across the border) has a huge amount of 2nd generation Italians. Chicago - Poland etc etc etc.

South America is also very close for international visitors.
The only problem I see, is how difficult it is to gain entry into USA, even for a harmless Australian like me. I cant see that changing any time soon, so visitors from certain countries (South Americans would be included) may have problems gaining entry.
Still I think there is enough domestic support to fill stadiums, just being an international visitor would probably be a bitch.

But yeah -
Enlgand/Benelux 2018 !
Australia 2022 !!!!!
USA 2026 !
woozoo no está en línea  
Old April 21st, 2009, 05:59 AM   #1051
Krzycho

Why the most of US stadiums has no roof?
Krzycho no está en línea  
Old April 21st, 2009, 06:06 AM   #1052
woozoo

Likes (Received): 188

lolol

Go back a few pages to find your answer
woozoo no está en línea  
Old April 21st, 2009, 06:11 AM   #1053
en1044
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krzycho View Post
Why the most of US stadiums has no roof?
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Im just gonna bite my tongue on this one.

Anyone else wanna take it?
Old April 21st, 2009, 06:38 AM   #1054
Krzycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozoo View Post
lolol

Go back a few pages to find your answer
I'am to lazy, just answer me please
Krzycho no está en línea  
Old April 21st, 2009, 06:43 AM   #1055
JYDA

Likes (Received): 94

JYDA no está en línea  
Old April 21st, 2009, 06:47 AM   #1056
Krzycho

You are right, something like this
Krzycho no está en línea  
Old April 21st, 2009, 07:04 AM   #1057
en1044
Unregistered User

Quote:
I'am to lazy, just answer me please
OK, If you truly dont want to look, Ill answer your question. Please just take it for what it is ok. I dont want this to turn into something big.

We dont like roofs because:

A. It does not, has not, nor ever will rain enough in the United States to create the need for a roof. There are roofs in the Northwestern US, thats about it. Because the original intent of roofs was to keep people dry, you can see why we have no roof tradition.

B. We developed our own sports traditions apart from the rest of the world, we dont want to be like everyone else.

C. It is not a strictly American thing. The majority of stadiums in North and South America tend to be roofless. Not a strong European influence, and again, it doesnt rain.
Old April 21st, 2009, 07:50 AM   #1058
Krzycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1044 View Post
OK, If you truly dont want to look, Ill answer your question. Please just take it for what it is ok. I dont want this to turn into something big.

We dont like roofs because:

A. It does not, has not, nor ever will rain enough in the United States to create the need for a roof. There are roofs in the Northwestern US, thats about it. Because the original intent of roofs was to keep people dry, you can see why we have no roof tradition.

B. We developed our own sports traditions apart from the rest of the world, we dont want to be like everyone else.

C. It is not a strictly American thing. The majority of stadiums in North and South America tend to be roofless. Not a strong European influence, and again, it doesnt rain.
Thank You for answer, but if ever will rain enough in the United States to create the need for a roof, so why the Seattle's stadium is not tottaly covered?
Krzycho no está en línea  
Old April 21st, 2009, 08:37 AM   #1059
en1044
Unregistered User

Quote:
Thank You for answer, but if ever will rain enough in the United States to create the need for a roof, so why the Seattle's stadium is not tottaly covered?
Because thats about as much roof as we'll put on a stadium. They're lucky they got that much.

Seattle's roof may also have one of the greatest acoustic designs in the world.
Old April 21st, 2009, 09:32 AM   #1060
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Paul Allen, the Seattle owner, wanted the stadium to be as loud as possible and his studies during the design process found that the roof they have would make it louder on the field than a full roof.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
los angeles, united states of america, world cup