daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old May 30th, 2009, 09:18 PM   #1101
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 113

that should shut some people up

Sponsored Links
Old May 30th, 2009, 11:16 PM   #1102
JYDA

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
* The United States leads all countries (outside of the host nation) in ticket sales, thus far, with 93,300.
Good to know that Mexico will be the be well supported next summer...
JYDA no está en línea  
Old May 31st, 2009, 12:28 AM   #1103
Alx-D
Arch Duke of Canada

Likes (Received): 0

^ Zing!
Alx-D no está en línea  
Old May 31st, 2009, 02:02 AM   #1104
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYDA View Post
Good to know that Mexico will be the be well supported next summer...
A quality comment from a Canadian about a team whose fans outnumbered the Italian fans in 2006.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old May 31st, 2009, 02:16 AM   #1105
JYDA

Likes (Received): 94

I'm just joking around man. I know the american fans travel well for the world cup and will be in south africa in good numbers next year. Heck, they travel extremely well even for domestic qualifiers. The game in Columbus in February had sams army members from all corners of the country.
JYDA no está en línea  
Old May 31st, 2009, 01:12 PM   #1106
BeestonLad
PQS

Likes (Received): 550

England will be the best supported team there barring South Africa as they are every tournament
BeestonLad no está en línea  
Old May 31st, 2009, 06:09 PM   #1107
Jizzy
Royal Pimp

Likes (Received): 1

lol @ these americans.

don't worry, you'll never win a world cup.

and don't worry, you won't be hosting either 2018 or 2022.

i think sometimes the arrogance gets the better of them. americans love to overhype themselves don't they.
Jizzy no está en línea  
Old May 31st, 2009, 06:22 PM   #1108
Alx-D
Arch Duke of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizzy View Post
lol @ these americans.

i think sometimes the arrogance gets the better of them. americans love to overhype themselves don't they.
dude, you seem like them arrogant one here
Alx-D no está en línea  
Old May 31st, 2009, 08:36 PM   #1109
nyrmetros

Likes (Received): 19

oh wow that is awesome!
nyrmetros no está en línea  
Old June 1st, 2009, 05:33 AM   #1110
ryebreadraz

Quote:
lol @ these americans.

Never? In 2010, 2014, 2018, sure. We probably won't win any of those, but never is a long time. How can you tell me that the US couldn't win one in 2050 or 2090, etc.? I'm not saying that we will win one then, but it seems as if you're the arrogant one if you're going to say never. The same is true for comments regarding us hosting in 2022, when we're undoubtedly one of the favorites.
Old June 1st, 2009, 05:35 AM   #1111
ryebreadraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYDA View Post
I'm just joking around man. I know the american fans travel well for the world cup and will be in south africa in good numbers next year. Heck, they travel extremely well even for domestic qualifiers. The game in Columbus in February had sams army members from all corners of the country.
Sorry. I'm a little sensitive to comments about US soccer fans because of all the crap we get. Hopefully the CSA can get themselves together and start running the sport right in Canada. It's ridiculous that a country with as much talent does so poorly. Here's to a 2018/2022 World Cup hosted by the US with Canada in it.
Old June 1st, 2009, 06:49 AM   #1112
Ganis
BANNED

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
lol @ these americans.

America is arrogant. Get used to it.

Never say never my friend, its a horrible word to use.
Ganis no está en línea  
Old June 1st, 2009, 07:47 PM   #1113
Alx-D
Arch Duke of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
Sorry. I'm a little sensitive to comments about US soccer fans because of all the crap we get. Hopefully the CSA can get themselves together and start running the sport right in Canada. It's ridiculous that a country with as much talent does so poorly. Here's to a 2018/2022 World Cup hosted by the US with Canada in it.
Cheers to that. You guys will get either 2018 or 2022. There is no way FIFA can ignore the sheer ticket sales possible from a USA World Cup. Far to lucrative for old man Blatter to pass up.

As a Canadian, I'm hoping you guys get it. It's like Canada has a World Cup without having to pay for any stadiums.
Alx-D no está en línea  
Old June 2nd, 2009, 06:32 AM   #1114
nautica17

Hey everyone, I have a quick question. Why is it that a lot of stadiums in the US have such large capacities and are so well made but they don't have any roofs?? Even several newer stadiums such as Invesco Field. You'd think that they'd put a roof on if there is so much money being poured in. I'm no expert by the way, so I'm just asking. Thanks in advance!
nautica17 no está en línea  
Old June 2nd, 2009, 07:48 AM   #1115
westsidebomber

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautica17 View Post
Hey everyone, I have a quick question. Why is it that a lot of stadiums in the US have such large capacities and are so well made but they don't have any roofs?? Even several newer stadiums such as Invesco Field. You'd think that they'd put a roof on if there is so much money being poured in. I'm no expert by the way, so I'm just asking. Thanks in advance!
Not funny...
westsidebomber no está en línea  
Old June 2nd, 2009, 07:56 AM   #1116
Ganis
BANNED

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Americans dont mind the weather be it bad or good like Europeans do. Also look at the cowboys stadium. They would ALL be massive if they had roofs. Not all teams can afford it or want it.
Ganis no está en línea  
Old June 2nd, 2009, 08:43 AM   #1117
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganis View Post
Americans dont mind the weather be it bad or good like Europeans do. Also look at the cowboys stadium. They would ALL be massive if they had roofs. Not all teams can afford it or want it.
I agree - weather conditions are an integral part of the main sport played in those USA stadia - the NFL. Extreme cold, snow, etc makes for VERY INTERESTING and FUN TO WATCH games in that league.

I should know, my family has season tickets at Lambeau Field in Green Bay, WI (NFL Packers) and the cold/snowy late season and playoff games (December and January) are the most fun of all for being in the stands and makes for high national television ratings numbers!

OTOH, summer weather in most of the northern half of the USA and along the west coast and the northern half of the east coast is usually IDEAL for fútbol during the day and it cools off nicely most evenings in the rest.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea  
Old June 2nd, 2009, 10:19 AM   #1118
en1044
Unregistered User

Quote:
Because a roof has not nor ever will be necessary to construct a good stadium. They are only a recent development in most of the world.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 11:51 AM   #1119
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alx-D View Post
Cheers to that. You guys will get either 2018 or 2022. There is no way FIFA can ignore the sheer ticket sales possible from a USA World Cup. Far to lucrative for old man Blatter to pass up.
Ticket sales are not FIFAs business. They get their money solely from broadcasting rights and sponsorships deals. It doesn't make a difference for them whether a ground holds 45'000 seats or 90'000.
Quote:
Originally Posted by en1044 View Post
Because a roof has not nor ever will be necessary to construct a good stadium. They are only a recent development in most of the world.
Wrong. Roofs are an essential part of a football ground. They have a significant impact on attendance figures and noise level. There is simply no good football ground whose stands aren't covered.

Last edited by flierfy; June 2nd, 2009 at 12:02 PM.
flierfy no está en línea  
Old June 2nd, 2009, 12:21 PM   #1120
en1044
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
Wrong. Roofs are an essential part of a football ground. They have a significant impact on attendance figures and noise level. There is simply no good football ground whose stands aren't covered.
Sorry, they arent.

If they were that important, they would have been "essential" for the past hundred years in stadiums all around the world. They weren't.

Try telling someone in Green Bay that a roof needs to be added to Lambeau Field in order for it to be a "proper" stadium. They'll laugh at you.

So let me rephrase. Roofs are not necessary in this country.

Closed Thread

Tags
los angeles, united states of america, world cup