daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 4th, 2009, 10:48 PM   #1141
Ganis
BANNED

Likes (Received): 24

its coming for sure. I can feel it!
Ganis no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 5th, 2009, 02:24 AM   #1142
SIC

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
Ticket sales are not FIFAs business. They get their money solely from broadcasting rights and sponsorships deals. It doesn't make a difference for them whether a ground holds 45'000 seats or 90'000.
Either way, the US beats any other country just based on potential sponsors. Theres a lot of large companies based in the US. And they can play games at noon to broadcast games at night in Europe. Unlike Australia, do you want to watch games in the middle of the night again? I don't, I barely remember the 2002 world cup because of that.
SIC no está en línea  
Old June 5th, 2009, 02:35 AM   #1143
bigbossman

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIC View Post
Either way, the US beats any other country just based on potential sponsors. Theres a lot of large companies based in the US. And they can play games at noon to broadcast games at night in Europe. Unlike Australia, do you want to watch games in the middle of the night again? I don't, I barely remember the 2002 world cup because of that.
Potential sponsors?? the sponsors for the world cup are long term partners, they are literally allowed near exclusivity over advertising, all the corporately named german stadiums had to change their name for the 2006 tournament...

While the 2002 world cup was tosh, the 1994 world cup was ruined in many cases by the stupid heat of midday kick offs, especially the final, it's a killer...
bigbossman no está en línea  
Old June 5th, 2009, 03:41 AM   #1144
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9720

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganis View Post
its coming for sure. I can feel it!
OK, I'm on my way.....

parcdesprinces no está en línea  
Old June 5th, 2009, 05:30 AM   #1145
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 1113

Quote:
And they can play games at noon to broadcast games at night in Europe. Unlike Australia, do you want to watch games in the middle of the night again? I don't, I barely remember the 2002 world cup because of that.
What about Australia's ability to show a worldcup in the same timezones to over 1.5 billion people and another 1.5 billion (central and south asia) only 2 to 3 hours behind. Prime time evening games beaming back into Europe around luchtime.

So should 900 milion continental Americans have to get up in the early hours or should that be left to 3 billion Asians.

An Australian World Cup would be played in a mild winter, which is great soccer weather.
Walbanger no está en línea  
Old June 5th, 2009, 06:08 AM   #1146
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
Potential sponsors?? the sponsors for the world cup are long term partners, they are literally allowed near exclusivity over advertising, all the corporately named german stadiums had to change their name for the 2006 tournament...

While the 2002 world cup was tosh, the 1994 world cup was ruined in many cases by the stupid heat of midday kick offs, especially the final, it's a killer...
well if the final isnt in LA, then it shouldnt be a problem. I sense there will be a lot more east coast sites than last time.
Old June 5th, 2009, 08:58 AM   #1147
SIC

Quote:

Oh yeah, you know for a fact all the sponsors for the 2022 world cup? Your talents are wasted on this thread then. Please, go on and spend your clairvoyant talent on something that will benefit the human race. Shoo!
SIC no está en línea  
Old June 5th, 2009, 03:30 PM   #1148
bigbossman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIC View Post
Oh yeah, you know for a fact all the sponsors for the 2022 world cup? Your talents are wasted on this thread then. Please, go on and spend your clairvoyant talent on something that will benefit the human race. Shoo!
did you read what i said, the sponsors are long term, they don't choose world cup specific sponsors, for crying out loud!
Old June 5th, 2009, 11:37 PM   #1149
metros11

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
No, the organisation committee of the domestic FA sells the tickets (well, the small fraction of tickets that gets sold at all) and covers some expenses with the money.
SA's FA is only going to sell the tickets that are allotted to their federation. Most likely they will get the biggest chunk as they are the hosts, but that does not mean they control all the ticket sales. Majority of the tickets will be distributed to the participating federations (and paid for by federations), and the rest will be sold directly by FIFA's ticketing partner. When I went to Germany in 2006 I had two avenues to do so, purchase tickets through USSF or through FIFA. I lucked out and got tickets through USSF's lottery.
Quote:
FIFA doesn't care about football. But I do and hundreds of millions of football fans do. We all want covered stands.
I like covered stands as much as you, but thank you for proving my point.
metros11 no está en línea  
Old June 5th, 2009, 11:43 PM   #1150
metros11

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
And this could potentially be a road block for the American bid. A lot of these stadium sponsors have exclusive naming rights to the stadiums, which means World Cup or not the stadium can not be called anything else. We'll see how that plays out.

Quote:
I agree 100%. Mexico had the same problems in 1986 as well, if not worse.
metros11 no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2009, 02:36 PM   #1151
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by metros11 View Post
SA's FA is only going to sell the tickets that are allotted to their federation. Most likely they will get the biggest chunk as they are the hosts, but that does not mean they control all the ticket sales. Majority of the tickets will be distributed to the participating federations (and paid for by federations), and the rest will be sold directly by FIFA's ticketing partner. When I went to Germany in 2006 I had two avenues to do so, purchase tickets through USSF or through FIFA. I lucked out and got tickets through USSF's lottery.
You shouldn't assume that the FIFA sold the tickets just because they are labelled with FIFA badges. Fact is that it was the organisation committee of the German FA that sold the 1.2m 'free' tickets. They organised the whole sale procedure and collected the money to fund their own budget.

Quote:
I like covered stands as much as you, but thank you for proving my point.
I proved you nothing. FIFA is no reference for football grounds.

Quote:
And this could potentially be a road block for the American bid. A lot of these stadium sponsors have exclusive naming rights to the stadiums, which means World Cup or not the stadium can not be called anything else. We'll see how that plays out.
Official FIFA sponsors are cut down to five of which 2 companies are based in the USA. Nothing overwhelming.
Old June 7th, 2009, 12:46 AM   #1152
Ganis
BANNED

Quote:
the 1994 world cup was ruined in many cases by the stupid heat of midday kick offs, especially the final, it's a killer...
O, little European got to much sun. its called Water and Sunscreen. We Americans can handle it, i think you can too.
Ganis no está en línea  
Old June 7th, 2009, 12:51 AM   #1153
JYDA

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
O, little European got to much sun. its called Water and Sunscreen. We Americans can handle it, i think you can too.
He's talking about the players on the field. The heat saps their energy and slows the pace of the game.
JYDA no está en línea  
Old June 7th, 2009, 01:00 AM   #1154
Ganis
BANNED

who's fault is that? USC plays their games in that heat. Prepare your players better.
Ganis no está en línea  
Old June 7th, 2009, 01:46 AM   #1155
JYDA

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
who's fault is that? USC plays their games in that heat. Prepare your players better.
Football is short bursts with long rests while soccer is more about endurance. You won't see a difference in the speed of a football game regardless of the heat. In soccer it's night and day.
JYDA no está en línea  
Old June 7th, 2009, 04:04 AM   #1156
SIC

Heat.........yeah. if only we had a way to enclose the stadium and run a giant AC.

Oh wait.............
SIC no está en línea  
Old June 7th, 2009, 08:17 AM   #1157
Bobby3

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Don't compare autumn to summer.
Bobby3 no está en línea  
Old June 7th, 2009, 09:35 AM   #1158
El Cholo

Likes (Received): 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYDA View Post
He's talking about the players on the field. The heat saps their energy and slows the pace of the game.
I'm sure the Africans won't mind a little heat during the World Cup.
El Cholo no está en línea  
Old June 7th, 2009, 10:35 AM   #1159
SpicyMcHaggis

Likes (Received): 1789

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Cholo View Post
I'm sure the Africans won't mind a little heat during the World Cup.
Africans play their "Cup of nations" in January because of heat during the summer. So i suppose that they would mind it as well

Who cares tho, they are all getting paid millions to play in all possible conditions. Weather is not an excuse.
SpicyMcHaggis no está en línea  
Old June 7th, 2009, 03:08 PM   #1160
bigbossman

for the record ganis, I am not an ethnic european but i am also not an ignorant texan either... the purpose of my point is to highlight that the game is played at a much slower pace due to the heat, it also pretty dangerous hence why at the start of the season many leagues (in the past) have a water break hal way through the halfs to prevent dehydration in crazy conditions, and we aren't even talking about 38+, there is a reason why football is a winter sport...

Closed Thread

Tags
los angeles, united states of america, world cup