daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 7th, 2009, 05:06 PM   #1161
woozoo

Likes (Received): 185

Dangerous???? WTF?? The Australian A league is played during the summer months. In Australia - which means temperatures of 30+ being normal, and 35+ not uncommon.

They are professional footballers, and play in a variety of conditions, from freezing cold in continental Europe and frozen ground in Russia, to 40+ and dry in north Africa and the middle East, or 30+ and almost 100% humidity in South and central America.

Even Europe has extremes. Wasnt it like 41 degrees for the FA cup final? Temperatures in Greece, Spain, Turkey are regularly very high for the entire day.
When Australia played Japan in 2006 in Kaiserslauten, the temperature was well into the 30s.

Not very game would be played in hot whether. The players should be prepared for those that are.
woozoo no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 7th, 2009, 06:01 PM   #1162
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9686

I agree, and, if the temperature is too high, the games can be played in the evening !

For example, if the final game of 94 world cup was played in the afternoon, it was because of the european TVs which didn't want to broadcast it in the middle of the night !!
parcdesprinces no está en línea  
Old June 7th, 2009, 09:38 PM   #1163
bigbossman

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozoo View Post
Dangerous???? WTF?? The Australian A league is played during the summer months. In Australia - which means temperatures of 30+ being normal, and 35+ not uncommon.
of course it's dangerous to play a sport that is endurance based in high temperatures. Especially if that game is played to a high standard with regards to physical commitment and exertion... I doubt the australian league is of a high standard.

Quote:
They are professional footballers, and play in a variety of conditions, from freezing cold in continental Europe and frozen ground in Russia, to 40+ and dry in north Africa and the middle East, or 30+ and almost 100% humidity in South and central America.
They don't play on Frozen ground who told you that? If the ground is frozen the game is called off, hence why many teams have undersoil heating...

The african season follows the European calendar, they play the african cup of nations in January because it would be too hot in the summer...

They play in winter in south america... hence why they play through the European summer...

Quote:
Even Europe has extremes. Wasnt it like 41 degrees for the FA cup final? Temperatures in Greece, Spain, Turkey are regularly very high for the entire day.
Come on man, there is one thing playing 1-2 games a season in stupid conditions, there is another playing a month of quick fire games in these conditions... in countries like spain the majority of games are evening kick off, and even then Spain isn't this couldron of heat all year round (it snows in spain in winter for FFS), you have a warped view of southern europe...

Quote:
When Australia played Japan in 2006 in Kaiserslauten, the temperature was well into the 30s.
The 30s isn't 38+, which it would be for nearly all games in places like LA...

Quote:
Not very game would be played in hot whether. The players should be prepared for those that are.
The vast majority of games will do if they have kick off a midday for European television.

Quote:
I agree, and, if the temperature is too high, the games can be played in the evening !

For example, if the final game of 94 world cup was played in the afternoon, it was because of the european TVs which didn't want to broadcast it in the middle of the night !!
They won't do that, they're not gonna put the world cup past midnight for Europe...
bigbossman no está en línea  
Old June 7th, 2009, 09:59 PM   #1164
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganis View Post
who's fault is that? USC plays their games in that heat. Prepare your players better.
Or chose another host nation.
Old June 7th, 2009, 11:49 PM   #1165
Ganis
BANNED

Likes (Received): 24

soccer player complain to much.
Ganis no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2009, 12:05 AM   #1166
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
soccer player complain to much.
Ganis, if youre going to just say stupid stuff like that, dont say anything at all.

Hint: Look at your avatar.
Old June 8th, 2009, 12:09 AM   #1167
Conte
European

Likes (Received): 44

I hope the US will get the WC, they have the infrastructure, big ,amazing stadiums , maybe not the best fans but definitely the best conditions for hosting The World Cup, btw. I remember the great WC back in '94 when I used to get up late in the night to watch those memorable games of Romania with Hagi and all the others...
Conte no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2009, 01:56 AM   #1168
Ganis
BANNED

Soccer claims to be an all weather sports but they complain when its to hot.

What stadium would be used for the Finals? New Giants? Rose?
Ganis no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2009, 02:18 AM   #1169
en1044
Unregistered User

An east coast city...it works best for Europe
Old June 8th, 2009, 02:36 AM   #1170
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Soccer claims to be an all weather sports but they complain when its to hot.
It is. And no-one complains about the heat. It will just force team to adapt rather defensive tactics to survive. Which will make the games pretty drab affairs like in 1994.
Old June 8th, 2009, 03:12 AM   #1171
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9686

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1044 View Post
An east coast city...it works best for Europe
i think Chicago, for what I saw, has the best weather in summer for a soccer game. Much more than NY or eastcoast cities with their continental climate in summer !

For Example, I remember NYC, Philadephia and also DC, during the summer of 99 ! It was !! (in any case, for a French guy )
parcdesprinces no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2009, 05:07 AM   #1172
en1044
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcdesprinces View Post
i think Chicago, for what I saw, has the best weather in summer for a soccer game. Much more than NY or eastcoast cities with their continental climate in summer !

For Example, I remember NYC, Philadephia and also DC, during the summer of 99 ! It was !! (in any case, for a French guy )
In the middle of the summer everywhere here is hot.

The east coast is the central hub for the American media market, it would be best to have it over here.
Old June 8th, 2009, 07:17 AM   #1173
Kapow32

Likes (Received): 3

yea as much as I would love chicago to have the final, it is just as hot as the nyc, philly, etc. in the summer, and it will probably be the smallest stadium in the whole tournament
Kapow32 no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2009, 07:44 AM   #1174
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

If Chicago had a 80k-90k state of the art of stadium I think its central location and "heartland" of America cliche' it has the credentials to be on the short list to host a final. Instead it only has a 61k though so that excludes it on those grounds alone.....

The only cities that I think have a reasonable claim to a final are L.A., NYC, and D.C. Considering it went to L.A. last time around I would rather see a final in NYC or D.C. and think it would up in either of those two.

Last edited by nomarandlee; June 9th, 2009 at 08:21 AM.
nomarandlee no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2009, 10:12 AM   #1175
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

There have been rumblings that Dan Snyder wants a new stadium in DC. I've also heard he wants it to be the biggest in NFL, like FedEx is, and have a roof. If he gets all that by 2022 and the US is the host, I'd have to think that DC hosts the final. If not, I think New York hosts the final. LA will likely host the opener and a semifinal, along with DC/NY, whichever doesn't get the final.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2009, 08:46 PM   #1176
Conte
European

Likes (Received): 44

the east coast has a -5 h time difference to GMT and -6h to CET so this is also a big advantage in comparison to other locations in the west like California where it's also a lot hotter and like en1044 already said the american media market concentrates on the east coast. I hope they'll play the Final on Pasadena's Rose Bowl
Conte no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2009, 11:22 PM   #1177
tritown

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
There have been rumblings that Dan Snyder wants a new stadium in DC. I've also heard he wants it to be the biggest in NFL, like FedEx is, and have a roof. If he gets all that by 2022 and the US is the host, I'd have to think that DC hosts the final. If not, I think New York hosts the final. LA will likely host the opener and a semifinal, along with DC/NY, whichever doesn't get the final.
Wow, DC would be great, since it is the nation's capital.
What about Dallas (Arlington) for the final? It's huge, and isn't it climate-controlled?
tritown no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2009, 11:30 PM   #1178
en1044
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritown View Post
Wow, DC would be great, since it is the nation's capital.
What about Dallas (Arlington) for the final? It's huge, and isn't it climate-controlled?
Again, I think the final has to be on the East coast.

Cowboys Stadium would certainly be capable of hosting it, but i dont think Dallas is a good city for the final.
Old June 9th, 2009, 05:04 AM   #1179
Ganis
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1044 View Post
Again, I think the final has to be on the East coast.

Cowboys Stadium would certainly be capable of hosting it, but i dont think Dallas is a good city for the final.
I dont think we would host the final..... but why not?
Ganis no está en línea  
Old June 9th, 2009, 06:02 AM   #1180
nyrmetros

Likes (Received): 19

NYC would be my dollar bet.
nyrmetros no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
los angeles, united states of america, world cup