daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 9th, 2009, 06:34 AM   #1181
woozoo

Likes (Received): 185

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
of course it's dangerous to play a sport that is endurance based in high temperatures. Especially if that game is played to a high standard with regards to physical commitment and exertion... I doubt the australian league is of a high standard.
Obvioulsy the league is no where near the standard of the top European leagues, but it is still a fully professional league. The players give it their all and play 90 mins in the heat. No one passes out, gets heat stroke or dies. It just doesnt happen.
Quote:
They don't play on Frozen ground who told you that? If the ground is frozen the game is called off, hence why many teams have undersoil heating...
Every stadium has under soil heating?
For those that dont, are the games called off once it starts snowing and the ground begins to freeze?

Either way, games are played in extremely cold conditions.

Quote:
The african season follows the European calendar, they play the african cup of nations in January because it would be too hot in the summer...

They play in winter in south america... hence why they play through the European summer...
I see you are unaware of the lack of "four seasons" in the tropics. There is no winter spring summer autumn. There is the wet season, where it rains a lot, has high humidity and is stupidly hot, and then there is the dry season where it doesnt rain and is stupidly hot. Either way its hot.
The heat is also constant, day and night.
The players of Flamengo and Corinthians seem to do ok, even though they have to play and train in these conditions

Quote:
Come on man, there is one thing playing 1-2 games a season in stupid conditions, there is another playing a month of quick fire games in these conditions... in countries like spain the majority of games are evening kick off, and even then Spain isn't this couldron of heat all year round (it snows in spain in winter for FFS), you have a warped view of southern europe...
That must mean it never gets hot even in may or August...
Madrid:

Theres a lot of 4pm kick off times in La Liga, which is the hottest part of the day.

It snows in New York and Chicago too you know

Quote:
The 30s isn't 38+, which it would be for nearly all games in places like LA...
Where did you get 38 from? Is that like the average temperature for June in LA and the other host cities? Or did you just pull it out of your ass.
(I think youll find that USA and LA is not actually as hot as you think)

The games wont be dangerous for the players. Germany 2006 had a lot of 2pm and 3pm kick offs, all the players were fine and no one complained about poor football quality.

Last edited by woozoo; June 9th, 2009 at 08:47 AM.
woozoo no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 9th, 2009, 06:57 AM   #1182
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozoo View Post

Where did you get 38 from? Is that like the average temperature for June in LA and the other host cities? Or did you just pull it out of your ass.
This is very true. LA isnt really an extremely hot place. Its just warm. Sure it can get pretty hot, but not usually.
Old June 9th, 2009, 06:59 AM   #1183
en1044
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganis View Post
I dont think we would host the final..... but why not?
Dallas isnt a defining American city, it doesnt have the international appeal or recognition that New York, Chicago, LA or DC has. The final will be in one of those 4 cities. Most likely DC or NYC.
Old June 9th, 2009, 08:11 AM   #1184
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

Average high temperatures in July (Fahrenheit):

Madrid- 90
Paris- 75
Yokohama- 82
Milan- 84
Lisbon- 81

Los Angeles- 84
New York- 83
San Francisco- 68
Chicago- 84
Seattle- 75
Boston- 82
Cleveland- 81

Other cities with extremely hot temperatures, Dallas (96), Houston (94), Phoenix (107) have retractable roofs that can be closed to keep the temperature at an ideal 75. The only city that really presents an issue is Miami and to a lesser extent, Washington DC, but there's a decent chance DC has an enclosed stadium by 2022.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old June 9th, 2009, 08:44 AM   #1185
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 353

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1044 View Post
Dallas isnt a defining American city, it doesnt have the international appeal or recognition that New York, Chicago, LA or DC has. The final will be in one of those 4 cities. Most likely DC or NYC.
ridiculous post of the year. "defining city" is the least of the criteria. Venue and time will have more to do with it.
rantanamo no está en línea  
Old June 9th, 2009, 09:23 AM   #1186
ryebreadraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
ridiculous post of the year. "defining city" is the least of the criteria. Venue and time will have more to do with it.
Every city that has hosted the final or will host the final has been a "defining city." Berlin, Yokohama, Paris, Los Angeles, Milan, Mexico City, Madrid, Buenos Aires, Munich, Johannesburg, Rio. I don't think it's a coincidence that the final has been in a defining city. If it requires upgrading or expanding a stadium to make sure a defining city has the final, it's happened. Dallas, while a fine city, doesn't have the cache of a LA, New York or DC.
Old June 9th, 2009, 09:29 AM   #1187
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
Average high temperatures in July (Fahrenheit):

Madrid- 90
Paris- 75
Yokohama- 82
Milan- 84
Lisbon- 81

Los Angeles- 84
New York- 83
San Francisco- 68
Chicago- 84
Seattle- 75
Boston- 82
Cleveland- 81

Other cities with extremely hot temperatures, Dallas (96), Houston (94), Phoenix (107) have retractable roofs that can be closed to keep the temperature at an ideal 75. The only city that really presents an issue is Miami and to a lesser extent, Washington DC, but there's a decent chance DC has an enclosed stadium by 2022.
There goes the "its too hot!" argument.

That being said, no way Dallas is picked over LA, NYC, or DC for the final.
hngcm no está en línea  
Old June 9th, 2009, 10:05 AM   #1188
en1044
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
Excuse me? Ridiculous post of the year? Stop being a homer.

Dortmund has a nice big stadium. I wonder why they didnt host the final in 2006...

Last edited by en1044; June 9th, 2009 at 10:21 AM.
en1044 no está en línea  
Old June 9th, 2009, 11:41 AM   #1189
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Gotta agree with a no for Dallas. If the stadium itself is the primary criteria of a final then Dallas will have a good chance of staging it as anyone or perhaps be the favorite. Finals are usually are not picked by the mid-tier city's of the host nation though and that is frankly what Dallas would be among the American cities hosting. Other then the stadium Dallas really has no noteworthy intangibles or symbolic advantage over other candidates. It certainly doesn't have a rep as a soccer hotbed in the U.S.

Plus it can get wickedly hot in Dallas in the summer and I am guessing there would be a preference not to possibly play a finals under a closed dome. If Dallas is chosen though I will not complain though as at least it would be held in probably the best U.S. stadium.
Old June 9th, 2009, 12:39 PM   #1190
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Every city that has hosted the final or will host the final has been a "defining city." Berlin, Yokohama, Paris, Los Angeles, Milan, Mexico City, Madrid, Buenos Aires, Munich, Johannesburg, Rio. I don't think it's a coincidence that the final has been in a defining city. If it requires upgrading or expanding a stadium to make sure a defining city has the final, it's happened. Dallas, while a fine city, doesn't have the cache of a LA, New York or DC.
Milano never hosted a World Cup final.
Old June 9th, 2009, 01:02 PM   #1191
ryebreadraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
Milano never hosted a World Cup final.
You're right. It was Rome in 1990, but the point is still the same. The final is always hosted by a defining city.
Old June 9th, 2009, 01:59 PM   #1192
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
You're right. It was Rome in 1990, but the point is still the same. The final is always hosted by a defining city.
I don't know what you exactly mean by defining city. But if München is one than Dallas is certainly one too.
Old June 9th, 2009, 02:44 PM   #1193
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Remember that it was just for W.Germany at that time so Berlin couldn't be included. Germany is a bit of an odd case since they have more then a few city's of approximate equal stature. Munich certainly had a very strong case to be considered the most prominent metro in W.Germany at the time.

The small chance you will ever see a finals in Leeds UK, Lyon France, Genoa Italy, or Porto Alegre, Brazil are the same that Dallas will not hold one.
Old June 9th, 2009, 07:17 PM   #1194
bigbossman

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozoo View Post
Obvioulsy the league is no where near the standard of the top European leagues, but it is still a fully professional league. The players give it their all and play 90 mins in the heat. No one passes out, gets heat stroke or dies. It just doesnt happen.
I never said they did, but they can do. And it hinders the quality of the game... but that isn't a problem at A league level which is not even league 1 standard

Quote:
Every stadium has under soil heating?
For those that dont, are the games called off once it starts snowing and the ground begins to freeze?

Either way, games are played in extremely cold conditions.
1. I never said every stadium has undersoil heating

Quote:
hence why many teams have undersoil heating...
2. That picture is a game played in snow, the ground quite clearly isn't frozen.

3. There is no problem with game being played in cold conditions... i don't see your argument

4. The russian league shuts down in the severist part of winter, yes it may snow at the end of the season but it snows in all the major leagues at some point.

Quote:
I see you are unaware of the lack of "four seasons" in the tropics. There is no winter spring summer autumn. There is the wet season, where it rains a lot, has high humidity and is stupidly hot, and then there is the dry season where it doesnt rain and is stupidly hot. Either way its hot.
The heat is also constant, day and night.
The players of Flamengo and Corinthians seem to do ok, even though they have to play and train in these conditions
You've done it again son

1. South america isn't entirely within the tropics (a large percentage is south of the tropic of capricorn). So why are you jsut highlighting Brazil when isaid south america!

2. Have you ever heard of the andes mountains?? and what is known as mountain climate... even areas within the tropics but andian (like peru) don't have a tropical climate

3. The main course of the brazilian football season the Série A is played from may to december. the clubs you mentioend Flamengo and corintians play in Sao paulo and rio both cities that skirt the tropics, i'd urge you to check the average temperatures during these months in these cities especially givent the fact that the highest recorded temperature in sao paulo is 35.3 °C lower than London.

4. the furthest north city with a séria A club is Recife whose temperatures aren't extreme during this period in the least

Quote:
That must mean it never gets hot even in may or August...
Madrid:
did i ever say that?? Have you never heard the saying "9 months of bliss, 3 months of hell"

And if you read back i quite clearly said that a having a few extreme games a season isn't a problem.

Quote:
there is one thing playing 1-2 games a season in stupid conditions, there is another playing a month of quick fire games in these conditions
Quote:
Theres a lot of 4pm kick off times in La Liga, which is the hottest part of the day.
Yes and your point, La liga plays during winter not summer...

Quote:
It snows in New York and Chicago too you know
WOW

Quote:
Well considering i'm not talking about the specific place but football games taking place in a stadium where pitch level is naturally higher than the actual recorded temperature you can understand my point.

Quote:
The games wont be dangerous for the players. Germany 2006 had a lot of 2pm and 3pm kick offs, all the players were fine and no one complained about poor football quality.
There were no 2pm kick offs at the 2006 world cup. There were 18 games (by my count) around a quarter, that kicked off before 6pm of which none were outside of the group stages.

the 1994 world cup had only 2 games kicking off later than 6.35 and one was in the silverdome. Every single game in the knockout stages kicked off in the heat of the day. There is the difference.

Look i have no problem with the USA hosting it, but for it to be a TV success the games need to kick off at awkward times...
bigbossman no está en línea  
Old June 9th, 2009, 07:19 PM   #1195
bigbossman

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
There goes the "its too hot!" argument.
The question is not whether the states is any hotter than Eurrope, the point is that games in the states wil kick off at daytime if they are scheduled for european audiences which isn't ideal playing conditions. Regardless of average temperatures a large percentage of European games won't be played during the heat of the day. SIMPLE AS!!
bigbossman no está en línea  
Old June 9th, 2009, 09:13 PM   #1196
en1044
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
I don't know what you exactly mean by defining city. But if München is one than Dallas is certainly one too.
Dallas is not the equivalent of Munich. Chicago is more like an equivalent.
Old June 9th, 2009, 10:05 PM   #1197
ryebreadraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
The question is not whether the states is any hotter than Eurrope, the point is that games in the states wil kick off at daytime if they are scheduled for european audiences which isn't ideal playing conditions. Regardless of average temperatures a large percentage of European games won't be played during the heat of the day. SIMPLE AS!!
The temperature posted were the average HIGHS for the month of July. On average, that's as hot as it gets. While the marquee matches in a European hosted WC would be at night, there are three matches a day throughout group play with the earlier start times similar to what would happen in a US hosted World Cup. It could also be easily set up so places like San Francisco or Seattle, which have ideal playing conditions even during the middle of the day, host the matches played in the hottest parts of the day with the hotter cities hosting when it's a bit cooler.
Old June 9th, 2009, 11:18 PM   #1198
KingmanIII

Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1044 View Post
Dallas is not the equivalent of Munich. Chicago is more like an equivalent.
Frankfurt, maybe?
KingmanIII no está en línea  
Old June 10th, 2009, 05:04 AM   #1199
El Cholo

Likes (Received): 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingmanIII View Post
Frankfurt, maybe?
Dallas? Nah, they are more like Cottbus.
El Cholo no está en línea  
Old June 10th, 2009, 05:58 AM   #1200
Ganis
BANNED

Likes (Received): 24

Dallas could host it. Actually it would be the Metroplex. One of the busiest airports in the country/world, The Most advanced Stadium in the country that would allow for the most covered seating and 2 major cities with the hotel space to hold the finals crowd. It could happen.

Cottbus?
Ganis no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
los angeles, united states of america, world cup