daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 10th, 2009, 06:29 AM   #1201
tritown

Likes (Received): 5

Dallas is way too spread out, I would wager. An hour to get to Arlington from Dallas when it's busy.
tritown no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 10th, 2009, 07:15 AM   #1202
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganis View Post
Dallas could host it. Actually it would be the Metroplex. One of the busiest airports in the country/world, The Most advanced Stadium in the country that would allow for the most covered seating and 2 major cities with the hotel space to hold the finals crowd. It could happen.
Dallas could host it, but stadium aside, it would be tough to argue for Dallas to host as opposed to New York, DC or LA. The WC Final is the world's premier sporting match and the perception of it would be far better in the capital, the entertainment capital of the world or the megacity that is NY. New York will have a very nice stadium that is capable of hosting the final and should Dan Snyder get the stadium he wants in DC, it would be equal to Cowboys Stadium. Whether or not he gets that stadium is a mystery though. Either way, I think it's DC if they get the stadium or NY if they don't. LA is an attractive option, but there's still stadium uncertainty and they hosted the 1994 final so I expect this one (should the US host) to go east. LA could host the opener though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritown View Post
Dallas is way too spread out, I would wager. An hour to get to Arlington from Dallas when it's busy.
No issues there. LA hosted the 1994 final and on a weekday it takes at least an hour to go from the westside to Pasadena, where the Rose Bowl is. If Dallas were to host the final (and I doubt they would), I'm pretty sure they'd arrange from dozens of buses to transport people from Dallas and Fort Worth to the stadium. In fact, I would assume they'd have those for any matches in Dallas, final or not.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old June 10th, 2009, 07:18 AM   #1203
tritown

Likes (Received): 5

Well, I was completely proven wrong. Oh, well.
tritown no está en línea  
Old June 10th, 2009, 08:15 AM   #1204
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Dallas could host it. Actually it would be the Metroplex. One of the busiest airports in the country/world, The Most advanced Stadium in the country that would allow for the most covered seating and 2 major cities with the hotel space to hold the finals crowd. It could happen.

Cottbus?
I dont think anyone is arguing Dallas's ability to host it. Just that Dallas doesnt have the appeal that other cities do.

Deep down, do you REALLY think that Dallas is on the same level as NYC, LA or DC?
Old June 10th, 2009, 09:08 AM   #1205
-Corey-
Je suis tout ā vous

Likes (Received): 5222

I think the final should be host on the west coast, we deserve it.

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea  
Old June 10th, 2009, 09:49 AM   #1206
ryebreadraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Corey- View Post
I think the final should be host on the west coast, we deserve it.
Make it happen my man! In reality, LA hosted the 1994 so another WC here would likely see the final on the east coast, especially since LA is the only west coast city that can match a place like NY or DC and it doesn't have a suitable stadium right now.
Old June 10th, 2009, 09:51 AM   #1207
-Corey-
Je suis tout ā vous

Only??? San Diego might not be famous but, it can host the final at the Qualcomm xD. And San Francisco con host it too if they get a new stadium.

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea  
Old June 10th, 2009, 10:57 AM   #1208
ryebreadraz

Quote:
Only??? San Diego might not be famous but, it can host the final at the Qualcomm xD. And San Francisco con host it too if they get a new stadium.
Neither has the glamor or notoriety of LA. When you're talking about the final, you want the best and most notable of the country. New York fits that bill, as does DC because it's our nation's capital. LA is in that discussion, as is Chicago. San Francisco and San Diego, while great cities, do not. Qualcomm is probably not even a suitable host site right not and certainly wouldn't be in 2018 or 2022 anyways.
Old June 10th, 2009, 11:05 AM   #1209
Lord David

Likes (Received): 104

^If the US does host either 2018 or 2022, which is unlikely BTW, expect NYC err New Jersey to host the final. What with that new Meadowlands Stadium, being built, provided that the field is large enough to meet FIFA standards.

LA or SF would only host if new stadiums or dramatic upgrades are taken place, Washington DC could potentially host, if FedEx Field is chosen or a new stadium is built in the city proper.
Lord David no está en línea  
Old June 10th, 2009, 11:16 AM   #1210
ryebreadraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord David View Post
^If the US does host either 2018 or 2022, which is unlikely BTW, expect NYC err New Jersey to host the final. What with that new Meadowlands Stadium, being built, provided that the field is large enough to meet FIFA standards.

LA or SF would only host if new stadiums or dramatic upgrades are taken place, Washington DC could potentially host, if FedEx Field is chosen or a new stadium is built in the city proper.
I completely agree. I expect it to be DC if Dan Snyder gets his new stadium, if not NY.
Old June 11th, 2009, 12:56 AM   #1211
-Corey-
Je suis tout ā vous

Quote:

And how do u know?

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea  
Old June 11th, 2009, 02:35 AM   #1212
en1044
Unregistered User

Quote:

The US actually has a very good chance of hosting.
Old June 11th, 2009, 07:50 AM   #1213
SIC

Likes (Received): 0

Glamor?
Ironically, the Meadowlands is in the middle of nowhere. But I get what you mean.

But hey, either you get your glamor city or your glamor venue. You can't have it both ways (Thanks a lot 2012 Olympics committee). Although I think the weather in California is better in the summer, Ny/NJ is dreadfully humid.
SIC no está en línea  
Old June 11th, 2009, 07:58 AM   #1214
SIC

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
for the record ganis, I am not an ethnic european but i am also not an ignorant texan either... the purpose of my point is to highlight that the game is played at a much slower pace due to the heat, it also pretty dangerous hence why at the start of the season many leagues (in the past) have a water break hal way through the halfs to prevent dehydration in crazy conditions, and we aren't even talking about 38+, there is a reason why football is a winter sport...
Did anyone die in Mexico in 1986 or 1970 from heat stroke? Nope......the heat was stifling but those somehow ended up being two of the best world cups of all time. Plus, you're overlooking that most of the venues will be fully covered during the knockout rounds.
I remember 1994, it didn't seem to slow down Hristo Stoichkov and the rest of the Romanians. I mean, not all countries play in what Europeans regard as ideal weather, which is winter.
Which I think explains why teams in Latin America and Spain play they way they do. They let the ball do the work, stylistic differences. But so what, it gets just as hot in Europe too.
Now if you want faster pace games, then you might have to stay up for the games in the middle of the night. Blame England for making Greenwich the center of the world.
SIC no está en línea  
Old June 11th, 2009, 10:18 AM   #1215
Ganis
BANNED

Likes (Received): 24

Put it in Dallas. Middle of the country. Easy for everyone to get to.

USA will 2018. Thats what im betting on.
Ganis no está en línea  
Old June 11th, 2009, 10:23 AM   #1216
Lord David

Quote:

Quote:
And how do u know?
Well for starters, if Chicago gets 2016, then it's a no brainer.
Hosting an Olympics prior to a WC would not necessarily have the US win the WC. Simply put the US's chances after winning the rights to the 2016 Olympics in Chicago and hosting a WC say in 2018 are dramatically hurt, in 2022 perhaps, but still not likely.

Rio is different because it is hosting the WC before a potential 2016 Olympics and that they were practically given the WC due to being the only suitable hosts in South America.

And of course there's all the stuff I mentioned about Australia and so forth, why even Belgium-Netherlands has a better chance winning the rights to host either 2018 or 2022 compared to the US even though it has been clearly stated that if there was enough single bidders, joint bidding would be overlooked.
Old June 11th, 2009, 11:03 AM   #1217
en1044
Unregistered User

Quote:
Put it in Dallas. Middle of the country. Easy for everyone to get to.
No one wants it in Dallas. Its out of the way internationally, in a bad time zone, and has no appeal to foreign visitors.

Quote:
USA will 2018. Thats what im betting on.
Wrong again. We dont have a chance in hell.
Old June 11th, 2009, 11:20 AM   #1218
-Corey-
Je suis tout ā vous

Quote:
Well for starters, if Chicago gets 2016, then it's a no brainer.
Hosting an Olympics prior to a WC would not necessarily have the US win the WC. Simply put the US's chances after winning the rights to the 2016 Olympics in Chicago and hosting a WC say in 2018 are dramatically hurt, in 2022 perhaps, but still not likely.

Rio is different because it is hosting the WC before a potential 2016 Olympics and that they were practically given the WC due to being the only suitable hosts in South America.

And of course there's all the stuff I mentioned about Australia and so forth, why even Belgium-Netherlands has a better chance winning the rights to host either 2018 or 2022 compared to the US even though it has been clearly stated that if there was enough single bidders, joint bidding would be overlooked.
The Olympic Games have nothing to do with the decision of the World Cup, and we are talking about the US, duh, as I said, the US can host the games even next year, (no other country can say the same thing, perhap, England...), and the Olympics wont hurt the US as much as it could hurts Brazil during the IOC decision in October, but that's another story...

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea  
Old June 11th, 2009, 11:22 AM   #1219
en1044
Unregistered User

Quote:
The Olympic Games have nothing to do with the decision of the World Cup, and we are talking about the US, duh, as I said, the US can host the games even next year, (no other country can say the same thing, perhap, England...), and the Olympics wont hurt the US as much as it could hurts Brazil during the IOC decision in October, but that's another story...
The Olympics actually do play a large part.
Old June 11th, 2009, 11:41 AM   #1220
Lord David

Quote:

Of course it has nothing to do with the WC, but FIFA, critics and others out there will be looking at the short frame between the 2 major sporting events as a decision factor to if the US should host.

Brazil's chances are hurt, yes, but there are overwhelming factors to contribute their possibility of winning, that outweigh the simple fact that they're hosting the 2014 WC prior.

Closed Thread

Tags
los angeles, united states of america, world cup