daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 11th, 2009, 02:14 PM   #1221
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1044 View Post
No one wants it in Dallas. Its out of the way internationally, in a bad time zone, and has no appeal to foreign visitors.
It has the same appeal as Los Angeles or Miami. It is well known. Its time zone is good but still better than the west coast.

Sponsored Links
Old June 11th, 2009, 05:48 PM   #1222
Kapow32

Likes (Received): 3

germany had the olympics in 72, world cup in 74...
Kapow32 no está en línea  
Old June 11th, 2009, 06:21 PM   #1223
bigbossman

Likes (Received): 4

mexico had the olympics in 68 and world cup in 1970
bigbossman no está en línea  
Old June 11th, 2009, 08:46 PM   #1224
metros11

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIC View Post
I remember 1994, it didn't seem to slow down Hristo Stoichkov and the rest of the Romanians.
Pretty funny.
metros11 no está en línea  
Old June 11th, 2009, 08:50 PM   #1225
metros11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord David View Post
Well for starters, if Chicago gets 2016, then it's a no brainer.
Hosting an Olympics prior to a WC would not necessarily have the US win the WC. Simply put the US's chances after winning the rights to the 2016 Olympics in Chicago and hosting a WC say in 2018 are dramatically hurt, in 2022 perhaps, but still not likely.
Although I don't think US2018 will happen I would certainly like to hear your explanation as to why Chicago 2016 would hurt the WC bid.
Old June 11th, 2009, 08:53 PM   #1226
metros11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord David View Post
Of course it has nothing to do with the WC, but FIFA, critics and others out there will be looking at the short frame between the 2 major sporting events as a decision factor to if the US should host.
I don't think they'll be looking at that at all, at least not FIFA. The only thing the FIFA selection committee will be looking at is the $$$$$$$$$$$$$. 2022 will likely go to either USA, Mexico or Australia, whomever is more willing to buy votes.
Old June 11th, 2009, 09:04 PM   #1227
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
It has the same appeal as Los Angeles or Miami. It is well known. Its time zone is good but still better than the west coast.
lol
Old June 11th, 2009, 10:02 PM   #1228
bigbossman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIC View Post
Did anyone die in Mexico in 1986 or 1970 from heat stroke?
when did i ever say people die?? I said it is dangerous, and it is and you know it...

Quote:
Nope......the heat was stifling but those somehow ended up being two of the best world cups of all time. Plus, you're overlooking that most of the venues will be fully covered during the knockout rounds.
Most of the mexico venues were covered and if you watch the 1970 final as good as it was the pace was pedestrian at times, modern football isn't played like that anymore

Quote:
I remember 1994, it didn't seem to slow down Hristo Stoichkov and the rest of the Romanians.
Hristo stoichov is bulgarian... and what do you mean by slow down...

Quote:
I mean, not all countries play in what Europeans regard as ideal weather, which is winter.
Which I think explains why teams in Latin America and Spain play they way they do. They let the ball do the work, stylistic differences. But so what, it gets just as hot in Europe too.
But if you read what i said, games in europe can be played at night!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Now if you want faster pace games, then you might have to stay up for the games in the middle of the night. Blame England for making Greenwich the center of the world.
1. Look i don't care, i have no problem if they hosted it, playing the games at the middle of the night, but i am not the EBU or the European TV lobby. I don't have a problem with the pace of the games, it just means faster paced teams are hindered
2.What has greenwich being the "centre" of the world got to do with it. If the centre of the world was new york London would still be 5 hours ahead!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIC
Quote:
Originally Posted by metros11
Pretty funny.
what the fact that he thought Stoichkov was romanian??
Old June 11th, 2009, 10:35 PM   #1229
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

We've already established that the temperatures in the US aren't any hotter than in most of Europe with a few exceptions. Three of those exceptions have retractable roofs so they don't matter. The only city that presents a real issue is Miami.

As for the day versus night debate, there's only a little truth to it. For the group stages when there are three matches a day, one will kick off midday and the second will kick off while the sun is still out. You can't play them all at night unless the last match kicks off at 2 am. A US World Cup would likely have start times with two matches during the hottest parts of the day and one when the sun is out, but it's not nearly as bad. The schedule can be manipulated so most of the two hot matches are played in stadiums with a roof or in San Francisco/Seattle/ etc. where the temperature rarely tops 75 Fahrenheit and is sometimes below 70.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old June 11th, 2009, 11:24 PM   #1230
bigbossman

i'm sorry i don't understand Fahrenheit (nor do i want to, too primitive) so writing 75 means nothing...

2006 world cup the kick offs were 3,6 and 9 and that was for only the first two rounds of the groups. and the simultaneous (final) group games kicked off at 4 and 9. USA no doubt they'll all have to kick off between 12 and 6.
Old June 11th, 2009, 11:55 PM   #1231
Samacado

Likes (Received): 8

I really like daylight matches. They are something special. Matches under daylight look far more classic than night matches.

And if you look WC 2006, some of the best matches were played in heat. Spain-Ukraine 4-0, Australia-Japan 3-1. On the other hands we had boring matches like Ukraine-Switzerland at night.

And i tell you what. To play at noon is sometimes not worse than to play at night after a day full of heat.
Samacado no está en línea  
Old June 11th, 2009, 11:57 PM   #1232
bigbossman

the best match 2 matches of the 2006 world cup were both night matches Italy vs Germany and Australia vs Croatia! I don't know how you can say spain-ukraine was a good game...
Old June 12th, 2009, 12:44 AM   #1233
ryebreadraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
i'm sorry i don't understand Fahrenheit (nor do i want to, too primitive) so writing 75 means nothing...

2006 world cup the kick offs were 3,6 and 9 and that was for only the first two rounds of the groups. and the simultaneous (final) group games kicked off at 4 and 9. USA no doubt they'll all have to kick off between 12 and 6.
You don't need to know Fahrenheit. What you need to know is that the temperatures in most US cities is comparable to a lot of the European cities that have hosted World Cup matches, like Madrid, Milan, etc. The heat here isn't any worse than it is there with Phoenix, Dallas, Houston and Miami being exceptions. Phoenix, Dallas and Houston have retractable roofs so the heat there doesn't matter, leaving Miami as the only city with an issue. Cities like San Francisco and Seattle actually have cooler July temperatures than most of Europe. The majority of the 12 and 3 matches could be played in those stadiums with roofs or cool temperatures and the hotter cities would host the late match. It can be set up so the weather has little to no impact on the matches.
Old June 12th, 2009, 12:21 PM   #1234
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
You don't need to know Fahrenheit. What you need to know is that the temperatures in most US cities is comparable to a lot of the European cities that have hosted World Cup matches, like Madrid, Milan, etc. The heat here isn't any worse than it is there with Phoenix, Dallas, Houston and Miami being exceptions. Phoenix, Dallas and Houston have retractable roofs so the heat there doesn't matter, leaving Miami as the only city with an issue. Cities like San Francisco and Seattle actually have cooler July temperatures than most of Europe. The majority of the 12 and 3 matches could be played in those stadiums with roofs or cool temperatures and the hotter cities would host the late match. It can be set up so the weather has little to no impact on the matches.
You seem to forget that no-one plays football at noon in Madrid. Playing at this time of the day is simply a disaster.
Old June 12th, 2009, 12:37 PM   #1235
Kobo

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Dallas could host it, but stadium aside, it would be tough to argue for Dallas to host as opposed to New York, DC or LA. The WC Final is the world's premier sporting match and the perception of it would be far better in the capital, the entertainment capital of the world or the megacity that is NY. New York will have a very nice stadium that is capable of hosting the final and should Dan Snyder get the stadium he wants in DC, it would be equal to Cowboys Stadium. Whether or not he gets that stadium is a mystery though. Either way, I think it's DC if they get the stadium or NY if they don't. LA is an attractive option, but there's still stadium uncertainty and they hosted the 1994 final so I expect this one (should the US host) to go east. LA could host the opener though.
Do you have any information on this possible Washington Stadium. Would it be a similar size to the Fed Ex stadium?
Kobo no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2009, 06:03 PM   #1236
Samacado

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
the best match 2 matches of the 2006 world cup were both night matches Italy vs Germany and Australia vs Croatia! I don't know how you can say spain-ukraine was a good game...
Depends on.

The biggest matches in world cup history were played in daylight.

Brazil-France 86, Brazil-Italy 82, Germany-Italy 70...

There were world cups almost without any floodlight match (1970, 1986, 1994) and none of it was known for antifootball. In fact, the World cups in Argentina 1978 or Italy 1990 are more known for that negative tendencies...despite floodlight.
Samacado no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2009, 07:28 PM   #1237
bigbossman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samacado View Post
Depends on.

The biggest matches in world cup history were played in daylight.

Brazil-France 86, Brazil-Italy 82, Germany-Italy 70...
Come on with Germany-italy in 1970 the game was average and was condisered to be so because of the heat, however it had the greatest extra time probably ever with 5 goals. Franz Beckenbauer playing with his arm in his sling etc etc

Notice you conveniently left off Germany-France 1982 which was a night game and the 1978 world cup final, also a night game. Two epic battles!

Quote:
There were world cups almost without any floodlight match (1970, 1986, 1994) and none of it was known for antifootball. In fact, the World cups in Argentina 1978 or Italy 1990 are more known for that negative tendencies...despite floodlight.
who consideres 1994 an attacking world cup?? and 1978 defensive also... the most exciting world cup of modern times is considered spain 1982 with it's floodlit games, don't let anyone tell you different!
Old June 12th, 2009, 08:15 PM   #1238
ryebreadraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobo View Post
Do you have any information on this possible Washington Stadium. Would it be a similar size to the Fed Ex stadium?
There's nothing concrete, just rumors that he wants a new stadium in DC that would have a retractable roof and would be at least as big as FedEx so the Redskins would still have the league's biggest stadium.
Old June 12th, 2009, 08:25 PM   #1239
massp88

Likes (Received): 215

Quote:
There's nothing concrete, just rumors that he wants a new stadium in DC that would have a retractable roof and would be at least as big as FedEx so the Redskins would still have the league's biggest stadium.
I wonder how much he will have to finance. I have to imagine it would be hard to convince Maryland voters that the Redskins need help financing a new stadium to replace the one they have that's less than 15 years old.

Why a retractable roof?
massp88 no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2009, 08:39 PM   #1240
metros11

Quote:
Originally Posted by massp88 View Post
I wonder how much he will have to finance. I have to imagine it would be hard to convince Maryland voters that the Redskins need help financing a new stadium to replace the one they have that's less than 15 years old.

Why a retractable roof?
If he builds it in DC then Maryland has nothing to do with it. He would have to finance ALL OF IT himself. No way District of Columbia is paying a penny for another stadium, especially after the disaster that is the new Nationals stadium. Even DC United are now screwed.

Closed Thread

Tags
los angeles, united states of america, world cup