daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools
Old June 12th, 2009, 08:40 PM   #1241
metros11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 418
Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post

what the fact that he thought Stoichkov was romanian??
What else?
metros11 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 12th, 2009, 09:56 PM   #1242
en1044
Unregistered User
 
en1044's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,405
Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by metros11 View Post
If he builds it in DC then Maryland has nothing to do with it. He would have to finance ALL OF IT himself. No way District of Columbia is paying a penny for another stadium, especially after the disaster that is the new Nationals stadium. Even DC United are now screwed.
The DC city council is MUCH more willing to help finance a new Redskins stadium than anything else.

Their stance on DC United and Nationals Park is irrelevant in this situation.
__________________
WASHINGTON REDSKINS
en1044 no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2009, 09:58 PM   #1243
en1044
Unregistered User
 
en1044's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,405
Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobo View Post
Do you have any information on this possible Washington Stadium. Would it be a similar size to the Fed Ex stadium?
The capacity of a new stadium would probably be around 95k to 100k, hopefully more around 95k with the ability to expand.
__________________
WASHINGTON REDSKINS
en1044 no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2009, 11:35 PM   #1244
ryebreadraz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,597
Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by massp88 View Post
I wonder how much he will have to finance. I have to imagine it would be hard to convince Maryland voters that the Redskins need help financing a new stadium to replace the one they have that's less than 15 years old.

Why a retractable roof?
The roof would allow him to host more events there and make more money.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2009, 09:46 AM   #1245
SIC
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 290
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by metros11 View Post
What else?
whoops, my bad.......I was nine when I saw saw the 1994 world cup. The games were at the exact same time. It's probably made all the more embarrassing because I've seen Stoichkov play in person for my local team. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkGf4Cm0R1o


Anyway, the point stands.......real talent didn't suffer in the heat and they won't suffer in the heat in the US in the future. Even so, It's all pretty unpredictable, tonight the weather was 13c and during the day it was 22c in Chicago. 1 year from the world cup opening in South Africa. In NYC it was 23 as well and in Los Angeles in was 20c.

Hardly dangerous temps. Especially as my have noted, many 1/2 and semi-games will be held in totally temperature controlled stadiums most likely in the US.
SIC no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2009, 01:22 PM   #1246
woozoo
Registered User
 
woozoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 800
Likes (Received): 188

OMG. I cant believe this "its too hot!" argument is still going.

To say 12pm kick off times would be dangerous is absurd.
Teams play in hot whether all the time. Your argument that the Andes somehow make the tropics of south america cool are ludicrous. Sure the higher altitudes will have some effect, but Medellin and Cali have average temperatures in the 30s all year, and as I have mentioned, the temperature stays high into the night.

The 2007 copa america was held in Venezuela in July. The average temperature for that month in Caracas is 37 degrees. Most host cities had average temperatures similarly high.
The 2001 edition of the competition was staged in Colombia also during July, where one of the host cities has an average temp of 41c for that month.

The 2000 African cup was held in Ghana and Nigeria. January is actually those countries hottest month, with average temps in both capitals around 32c. The cup returned to Ghana as host in 2008. If the tournament is held in any of the tropical African nations (Mali. Burkina Faso, Senegal), January average temps are above 30.

Your "too hot coz its dangerous" argument has been totally blown out of the water.

As for entertaining football, your argument still doesnt stand well. We have established that few days in any of the major host cities reach above 35, in fact most of the host cities have average summer temperatures below 30c.
A team isnt likely to play more than one or two games in plus 35c heat, which is comparable to a Spanish or Brazilian World Cup (which will certainly have early afternoon kick offs). A 12 pm kick off isnt even during the hottest part of the day.

Some games will be slower than others, and therefore will be more technical. One of the criticisms of the English league from around the world is its lack of technique, and focus on physicality and fast pace. One of the major pluses of Brazilian football is its high level of technique, due in part to its slower pace.

Also, the Australia Croatia game was so good not because of any beautiful play, but rather for all the on field drama which occurred. It would have been just as exciting whether it was held at night or at day.

This is a non issue.
woozoo no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2009, 07:00 PM   #1247
bigbossman
Registered User
 
bigbossman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: South East London
Posts: 3,408
Likes (Received): 4

woozoo that post is full of so many lies, give me a moment and i'll show you why
bigbossman no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2009, 08:19 PM   #1248
bigbossman
Registered User
 
bigbossman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: South East London
Posts: 3,408
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozoo View Post
OMG. I cant believe this "its too hot!" argument is still going.
The conversation had ended dummy, however it is you needing to get the last word who has re-opened. Unfortunately for you, you have done so filling your post with lies.

Quote:
To say 12pm kick off times would be dangerous is absurd.
Teams play in hot whether all the time. Your argument that the Andes somehow make the tropics of south america cool are ludicrous. Sure the higher altitudes will have some effect, but Medellin and Cali have average temperatures in the 30s all year, and as I have mentioned, the temperature stays high into the night.
I never said that the Andes makes the tropics of south America cool you have said that in your response without quoting my point because you know I didn’t say that. But with the wonders of skyscrapercity I can find what I said a repost so you can actually see what I said.

Quote:
Have you ever heard of the andes mountains?? and what is known as mountain climate... even areas within the tropics but andian (like peru) don't have a tropical climate
I quite clearly referenced Peru as an example of a country within the tropics and Andes without a tropical climate, Ecuador is another country. Never did I mention bloody Colombia or that all Andean countries within the tropics are not tropical.

However your stats for Cali and Medellin are wrong (this will be a recurring theme of this post)

Cali's average temperature is 24C (74F) with an average low temperature of 19C (66F) and a high of 30C (86F).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cali#Climate

For Medellin recorded high averages 32C but the average high is 28C, the average low is 16C

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medilli...hy_and_climate

Quote:
The 2007 copa america was held in Venezuela in July. The average temperature for that month in Caracas is 37 degrees. Most host cities had average temperatures similarly high.
The 2001 edition of the competition was staged in Colombia also during July, where one of the host cities has an average temp of 41c for that month.
1. Games in both the 2001 and 2007 copa Americas were EVENING KICK OFFS, except the Colombia final (3rd place game)

2. You’ve made up those average temperature figures. The recorded high in July in Caracas is 37C, the average high temperature in July in Caracas is 26C, the actual average temperature in July in Caracas is 23C

http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/w...=&units=metric

3. Are you going to site this Columbia city which apparently has average temperatures in July of 41C?? Out of the 7 cities that hosted games (Armenia, Barranquilla, Bogot, Cali, Manizales, Medelln, Pereira) Barranquilla has the highest average high temperature of 36C, the figure of 41C is in fact the highest recorded temperature in Barranquilla, it would help if you got your facts right..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barranquilla#Climate

Quote:
The 2000 African cup was held in Ghana and Nigeria. January is actually those countries hottest month, with average temps in both capitals around 32c.
WRONG, Lies and more bloody Lies

The average high in Accra (Ghana) is 32C in January, not the average temperature. This seems to be a recurring theme with you.



and for the record here is Lagos,



And here is Kano who also hosted games in 2000



As you can see for both countries the hottest month IS NOT January.

Quote:
The cup returned to Ghana as host in 2008. If the tournament is held in any of the tropical African nations (Mali. Burkina Faso, Senegal), January average temps are above 30.
LIES, LIES MORE DAMN LIES

Mali
Bamako doesn’t hold up your claim….



Burkina Faso
The capital of Burkina Faso doesn’t support your claim either




Senegal



However Africa isn’t just situated around the equator in the central and western part of the continent, it in fact (SHOCK HORROR), spreads north and south. And even more shockingly African cup of nations games have been played in these regions too

Egypt and Tunisia which hosted the 2004 and 2006 editions have climates which will show you why the tournament is nominally played in the winter.

Egypt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egypt#Climate

http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/w...=&units=metric

Cairo


As you can see the highs that it can reach in Egpyt in july shit on any high that can be reached at the equator.

Tunis



The point is that the heat of North Africa during the summer is greater than the heat of southern Africa during the winter and as central/west Africa has negligible difference between temperatures all year round, January is the clear compromise as it isn’t the hottest month anywhere.


Quote:
Your "too hot coz its dangerous" argument has been totally blown out of the water.
By who, because it certainly isn’t you sunny jim!

Quote:
As for entertaining football, your argument still doesnt stand well. We have established that few days in any of the major host cities reach above 35, in fact most of the host cities have average summer temperatures below 30c.
A team isnt likely to play more than one or two games in plus 35c heat, which is comparable to a Spanish or Brazilian World Cup (which will certainly have early afternoon kick offs). A 12 pm kick off isnt even during the hottest part of the day.


“Temperature-time graphs will change depending on the time of year, location, latitude and weather conditions”

That is the hottest part of the day is different depending on where you are and what time of the year it is. In other words the closer you are to the equator the earlier in the day the hottest part of the day is. Midday is the hottest part on the equator…

”Average Maximum Daytime Temperature gives a good indication of the highest temperatures to expect at the warmest time of the day for each month.

Because the figures show the temperature of the air they are always recorded in the shade. In direct sun it will generally be warmer, sometimes by as much as 15 to 20C (27 to 36F). This is because the sun also emits infrared radiation. For tropical and some sub-tropical destinations you should also always check Heat and Humidity, because high temperatures alone do not necessarily indicate how hot it 'feels'.”


As mentioned games in countries like Spain would be largely evening kick off away from the hottest part of the day…

Quote:
Some games will be slower than others, and therefore will be more technical. One of the criticisms of the English league from around the world is its lack of technique, and focus on physicality and fast pace. One of the major pluses of Brazilian football is its high level of technique, due in part to its slower pace.
pfft just because I talk about pace and I’m from England you make the assumption that I want games to be played like in the premier league. Both Spanish and Italian league games are played at an up-tempo pace. The English league is excessively fast. Games played during the heat of the day are played at a slower pace than even regular games. That is what you don’t and need to understand!!

Quote:
Also, the Australia Croatia game was so good not because of any beautiful play, but rather for all the on field drama which occurred. It would have been just as exciting whether it was held at night or at day.
That’s a stupid assumption. If the game was played in hotter temperatures it would’ve been completely different. IF it was played in rain it would’ve been completely different. You can’t make assumptions like that

Quote:
This is a non issue.
Your post is (sorry was) yes!

anyway you dragged it back up and if you want to debate it further i suggest you back up with evidence or you take it out of this thread...

Last edited by bigbossman; June 14th, 2009 at 08:31 PM.
bigbossman no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2009, 08:27 PM   #1249
Kapow32
Registered User
 
Kapow32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: chicago
Posts: 97
Likes (Received): 3

lol Fifa does not care about the heat, they've already had it in the USA once, and brazil and mexico
Kapow32 no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2009, 09:38 PM   #1250
Walbanger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Perth
Posts: 1,241
Likes (Received): 1108

I amazes me how many people a desperate to use any lame excuse to find fault in a US bid. Too hot, why don't you harden up buttercup. The US will put in a great bid that will be extremely hard to beat (though I hope Australia do).
Walbanger no está en línea  
Old June 16th, 2009, 01:00 AM   #1251
bigbossman
Registered User
 
bigbossman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: South East London
Posts: 3,408
Likes (Received): 4

look i made a throw away remark about the heat and it got blown out of proportion (partly down to myself continuing it). I have said i have no real problem with the states holding the world cup as they have the best non European bid. I just hope we don't get the absurdness of '94...
bigbossman no está en línea  
Old June 16th, 2009, 08:20 PM   #1252
massp88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,182
Likes (Received): 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walbanger View Post
I amazes me how many people a desperate to use any lame excuse to find fault in a US bid. Too hot, why don't you harden up buttercup. The US will put in a great bid that will be extremely hard to beat (though I hope Australia do).
I don't know what argument is worse, people complaining about the heat, or those that actually believe Dallas should host the finals.
massp88 no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2009, 09:36 AM   #1253
Ganis
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dallas / Amarillo
Posts: 1,775
Likes (Received): 24

37 official candidate cities.

USA Bid Committee Issues Requests For Porposals to 37 Potential FIFA World Cup Host Cities For 2018 or 2022

Atlanta Georgia Dome 71,250
Baltimore M & T Bank Stadium 71,008
Birmingham, Ala Legion Field 71,000
Boston Gillette Stadium 71,693
Charlotte Bank of America Stadium 73,778
Chicago Soldier Field 61,000
Cincinnati Paul Brown Stadium 65,535
Cleveland Cleveland Browns Stadium 72,000
Columbus, Ohio Ohio Stadium 101,568
Dallas Cotton Bowl 89,000
Dallas Cowboys Stadium 100,000
Denver INVESCO Field 76,125
Detroit Ford Field 67,188
Detroit Michigan Stadium 108,000
Fayetteville, Ark. Donald W. Reynolds Razorback Stadium 72,000
Houston Reliant Stadium 71,500
Indianapolis Lucas Oil Stadium 64,200
Jacksonville, Fla. Jacksonville Municipal Stadium 82,000
Kansas City Arrowhead Stadium 77,000
Knoxville Neyland Stadium 100,011
Las Vegas Sports City USA N/A
Los Angeles Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum 93,607
Los Angeles Rose Bowl 92,000+
Miami Land Shark Stadium 75,540
Minneapolis Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome 64,000
Minneapolis TCF Bank Stadium 50,200
Nashville LP Field 69,143
New Orleans Louisiana Superdome 70,000
New York / New Jersey New Meadowlands Stadium 82,000
Orlando Florida Citrus Bowl 65,616
Philadelphia Lincoln Financial 67,594
Phoenix / Glendale Sun Devil Stadium 73,500
Phoenix / Glendale University of Phoenix Stadium 71,000
Pittsburgh Heinz Field 65,000
Salt Lake City Rice-Eccles Stadium 45,603
San Antonio Alamodome 65,000
San Diego Qualcomm Stadium 70,500
San Francisco Stanford Stadium 50,500
San Francisco / Oakland Oakland-Alameda County Stadium 63,026
Seattle Husky Stadium 72,500
Seattle Qwest Field 67,000
St. Louis Edward Jones Dome 67,268
Tampa Raymond James Stadium 65,856
Washington, D.C. FedEx Field 91,704
Washington, D.C. RFK Stadium 45,600

http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/vie..._14876672.html
Ganis no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2009, 11:46 AM   #1254
woozoo
Registered User
 
woozoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 800
Likes (Received): 188

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
look i made a throw away remark about the heat and it got blown out of proportion (partly down to myself continuing it). I have said i have no real problem with the states holding the world cup as they have the best non European bid. I just hope we don't get the absurdness of '94...
Shit I was looking at the top recorded temp (row above on wiki) not the average high for the South American cities *facepalm*
Either way many of the cities which hosted either African cups or Copa Americas were hot, and hotter than many possible American host cities, I think youll agree. And like you said, it was a throw away comment so no point in further discussion. Apologies for my misinformation.
woozoo no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2009, 07:37 PM   #1255
Jmarius
Jmarius
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: GUADALAJARA, JALISCO
Posts: 421
Likes (Received): 34

Hey Bigbossman, Mexico had Olympics 1968. and Wold Cup 1970 and 1986 !!
Jmarius está en línea ahora  
Old June 17th, 2009, 08:11 PM   #1256
-Corey-
Je suis tout vous
 
-Corey-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 16,218
Likes (Received): 5222

Yeah San Diego is there
__________________

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2009, 08:13 PM   #1257
-Corey-
Je suis tout vous
 
-Corey-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 16,218
Likes (Received): 5222

Quote:
Originally Posted by massp88 View Post
I don't know what argument is worse, people complaining about the heat, or those that actually believe Dallas should host the finals.
I wouldnt mind if the final is host in Los Angeles, Chicago, New York, San Francisco or the capital.
__________________

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea  
Old June 18th, 2009, 12:01 AM   #1258
Scba
Registered User
 
Scba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: US
Posts: 1,589
Likes (Received): 1420

Las Vegas Sports City USA N/A <- ?
Scba no está en línea  
Old June 18th, 2009, 02:10 AM   #1259
El Mariachi
Registered User
 
El Mariachi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7,156
Likes (Received): 5995

Land Shark Stadium now in Miami?

Whats next, Mikes Hard Lemonade Arena?
El Mariachi no está en línea  
Old June 18th, 2009, 02:47 AM   #1260
-Corey-
Je suis tout vous
 
-Corey-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 16,218
Likes (Received): 5222

Quote:
Originally Posted by USSOCCER View Post
Passion for World Cup soccer is extremely strong in the United States, as evidenced by the demand for tickets for the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa. Of the 1.8 million ticket requests that have been received from more than 200 countries, approximately 93,000 have come from fans that live in the United States. Only host South Africa has had more ticket requests......
And then 'they' say we're not capable of hosting the WC.
__________________

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea  


Closed Thread

Tags
los angeles, united states of america, world cup

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu