daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 29th, 2009, 05:39 AM   #1281
Bobby3

Likes (Received): 52

Mexico has played at a number of baseball stadiums.

http://www.groundreport.com/Sports/P...OCCER-1-6-05_1
Bobby3 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 29th, 2009, 06:10 AM   #1282
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

I was at that game. Pretty good seats from my side of the field (1st base side). Guessing pretty bad seats from the other side hah.
hngcm no está en línea  
Old June 29th, 2009, 10:39 AM   #1283
Lord David

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by soup or man View Post
The final should either be at the LA Coliseum or a (heavely revamped) RFK Stadium in Washington DC. In it's current form, it's far too ugly and old.

You know, from that angle, RFK looks a bit like Allianz Arena. I wouldn't mind seeing RFK take that approach if it ever decides to renovate.
I wouldn't expect them to use RFK. I'd expect them to use the WC as an excuse to demolish RFK Stadium and build say, RFK II Stadium in it's place.

D.C United teams would be "forced" to play at FedEx Field for the meantime as a new stadium, with 100,000+ capacity, in an architectural style that fits with both modern Washington D.C and the contemporary Greco-Roman style architecture is built. Which is essentially what they want anyways.

The new stadium would be the home for both D.C United and Washington Redskins.

Problems regarding D.C United capacity could easily be solved by covering upper level seating or using a retractable roofing system etc, leaving say 30,000-50,000 for games.

As for the LA Coliseum, I'd expect it to heavily renovated. Much of the existing structure will be removed, with the exception of the gate, and a modern stadium built in it's place.
Lord David no está en línea  
Old June 29th, 2009, 10:46 AM   #1284
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

^ There's no way in hell the LA Coliseum is renovated. A renovation would only be made if it was done to also bring a NFL team to LA, which won't happen. Making it for the NFL would require a capacity of 60,000-70,000, something USC will never allow to happen. They won't want a smaller capacity and their lease gives them veto power over any renovations or any other teams coming in. Also, nobody has the money for a renovated Coliseum or will deal with the Coliseum Commission. The Coliseum will not be renovated of host World Cup matches.

For LA to host in the World Cup, it will be in either the proposed stadium in the City of Industry or at a renovated Rose Bowl.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old June 29th, 2009, 10:51 AM   #1285
Lord David

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
^ There's no way in hell the LA Coliseum is renovated. A renovation would only be made if it was done to also bring a NFL team to LA, which won't happen. Making it for the NFL would require a capacity of 60,000-70,000, something USC will never allow to happen. They won't want a smaller capacity and their lease gives them veto power over any renovations or any other teams coming in. Also, nobody has the money for a renovated Coliseum or will deal with the Coliseum Commission. The Coliseum will not be renovated of host World Cup matches.

For LA to host in the World Cup, it will be in either the proposed stadium in the City of Industry or at a renovated Rose Bowl.
Well then make it 90,000 then. Who said it had to be lower in capacity? Having it included in the WC bid could tap into some government funding (as well as using the usual public funds).
Lord David no está en línea  
Old June 29th, 2009, 10:52 AM   #1286
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

Quote:
Originally Posted by soup or man View Post
The final should either be at the LA Coliseum or a (heavely revamped) RFK Stadium in Washington DC. In it's current form, it's far too ugly and old.

You know, from that angle, RFK looks a bit like Allianz Arena. I wouldn't mind seeing RFK take that approach if it ever decides to renovate.
Where do you get your stuff from man? Hook me up!
Wezza no está en línea  
Old June 29th, 2009, 07:29 PM   #1287
metros11

Likes (Received): 5

Renovating RFK? I don't think so. Knocking it down and building a new stadium will likely be cheaper.
metros11 no está en línea  
Old June 29th, 2009, 08:32 PM   #1288
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

RFK is a dump trumped only by Candlestick.
krudmonk no está en línea  
Old June 29th, 2009, 09:40 PM   #1289
SIC

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwizard84 View Post
I don't remember this game in january... but anyway, thanks for the reply and hope they stop playing on this type of fields. It's not good for the game.
They're playing in a baseball stadium while their stadium is built. The rent is cheaper than playing in a giant NFL size stadium
SIC no está en línea  
Old July 9th, 2009, 02:12 PM   #1290
CaliforniaJones

Likes (Received): 255

I make my choice about 18 US cities for 2018 and 2022 world cups.
The cities/stadiums which could be selected in the US bid are:

Northeast
New York
Boston
Philadelphia

South
Washington DC
Miami
Atlanta
Orlando
Dallas
Houston

Midwest
Chicago
Cleveland
Minneapolis
Detroit

West
Los Angeles
San Francisco
Denver
Phoenix
Seattle

12 cities would be chosen between this selection.
CaliforniaJones no está en línea  
Old July 9th, 2009, 03:59 PM   #1291
SIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaJones View Post

Northeast
New York
Boston
Philadelphia

South
Washington DC
Miami
Atlanta
Orlando
Dallas
Houston

Midwest
Chicago
Cleveland
Minneapolis
Detroit

West
Los Angeles
San Francisco
Denver
Phoenix
Seattle

I'd rather have St Louis over Detroit or Cleveland. But I don't think they have a stadium that can host it. Too bad. Since Minneapolis, Chicago, and St Louis are relatively close to each other.

Also, I'd group DC with the northeast. It's pretty much down the road from Philly. It would be the only place in the country where fans could follow their teams without flying.
SIC no está en línea  
Old July 9th, 2009, 06:40 PM   #1292
Ganis
BANNED

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaJones View Post

Northeast
New York
Boston
Philadelphia

South
Washington DC
Miami
Atlanta
Orlando
Dallas
Houston

Midwest
Chicago
Cleveland
Minneapolis
Detroit

West
Los Angeles
San Francisco
Denver
Phoenix
Seattle

Move DC into the North East group and remove Orlando, they will never be chosen and remove Minnieapolis and put in Indianapolis with their NEW stadium (no need to play in a bubble) and No to san francisco.

For Sure...
Dallas
New York
Philly
DC
Miami
LA
Phoenix
Houston
Seattle
Denver

And i would add....
Atlanta and Indianapolis.

But this is only going off what stadiums are built now in 2009. in 9 or 13 years there could be new stadiums in Minneapolis and San Francisco/Oakland and San Diego and maybe in DC and LA.
Ganis no está en línea  
Old July 9th, 2009, 08:08 PM   #1293
massp88

Likes (Received): 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganis View Post
Move DC into the North East group and remove Orlando, they will never be chosen and remove Minnieapolis and put in Indianapolis with their NEW stadium (no need to play in a bubble) and No to san francisco.

For Sure...
Dallas
New York
Philly
DC
Miami
LA
Phoenix
Houston
Seattle
Denver

And i would add....
Atlanta and Indianapolis.

But this is only going off what stadiums are built now in 2009. in 9 or 13 years there could be new stadiums in Minneapolis and San Francisco/Oakland and San Diego and maybe in DC and LA.
Interesting you feel that Orlando will not be chosen seeing as how they were hosts back in 1994. You list is not too bad, just take away Denver, Phoenix and probably Miami. I think it is safe to assume Indianapolis will never be chosen and Minneapolis has a slim chance.

My List would be:

Boston
New York
Washington, D.C.
Chicago
Dallas
Los Angeles
San Francisco
Seattle
Philadelphia
Houston

Cities with a decent shot:

Detroit
Phoenix
Miami
Baltimore
Orlando
San Diego

Cities with no shot:

Cleveland
Pittsburgh
Columbus
St. Louis
Minneapolis
Tampa
San Antonio
Austin
Salt Lake City
Portland
Charlotte
Raleigh/Durham
Indianapolis
Denver
Kansas City
massp88 no está en línea  
Old July 9th, 2009, 09:27 PM   #1294
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

Minneapolis/Tampa/St. Louis = No shot?!!!!

Orlando will "never be chosen?"

We still have a lot of time, here, fellas. More importantly I feel quite certain the decisions for each city won't be made independently, but will take into account their compatibility with a larger, complete US bid. The likes of Dallas and Chicago, no matter how appealing their venues may be, would be hampered if they didn't have at least one nearby destination to help with travel and distribution of games and tourists.

Tampa has improved dramatically over the years to where it can stand on its own as a tourist destination. May not be world class compared to, say, Barcelona, but it certainly has merits and would be a great pairing with Miami, Orlando and/or even the Texas cities.

Minneapolis is a beautiful city, and odds are by the time 2022 rolls around the Vikings will have a new stadium or TCF Bank will be all the more viable for expansion and improvement. Similarly St. Louis will certainly do something on behalf of the Rams and the EJ Dome by then and could serve as that events version of the Silverdome. Either or both of these cities would make a great partner with Chicago. (Certainly more appealing cities than Indianapolis, IMO.)

Orlando has an interesting problem, but suspicions are they'll find a way to renovate the Citrus Bowl by this time or risk losing a lot of their big sporting and entertainment events. If they do what's been proposed they move back to the top tier of the list.

Either way, some great places will be left off and some selections may feel uninspired. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
Old July 10th, 2009, 03:03 AM   #1295
KingmanIII

Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post

USC is rumored to have been seriously considering buying the Coliseum, especially since it is literally across the street from campus. If USC does renovate it, capacity likely wouldn't drop below 80000, if that.
KingmanIII no está en línea  
Old July 10th, 2009, 03:08 AM   #1296
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingmanIII View Post
USC is rumored to have been seriously considering buying the Coliseum, especially since it is literally across the street from campus. If USC does renovate it, capacity likely wouldn't drop below 80000, if that.
There are rumors of them buying the Coliseum, but the price that the state believes they could fetch for the stadium is well above what independent evaluators have said it is worth and it's well above what USC would pay. Regardless of whether the lease continues or USC buys it, there's no way the stadium gets the renovations necessary for a NFL and World Cup. The renovations are only worth it if it also is home to a NFL team and USC doesn't want to share the stadium.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old July 10th, 2009, 05:51 AM   #1297
djwizard84

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIC View Post
They're playing in a baseball stadium while their stadium is built. The rent is cheaper than playing in a giant NFL size stadium
this stadium looks cool.

when it would be done?
Old July 10th, 2009, 07:40 AM   #1298
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post

Minneapolis/Tampa/St. Louis = No shot?!!!!

Orlando will "never be chosen?"
No shot might be harsh but they have little chance of being chosen.

St. Louis is the only one with a decent shot.
hngcm no está en línea  
Old July 10th, 2009, 09:42 AM   #1299
Ganis
BANNED

Likes (Received): 24

there are to many good and great stadiums ahead of Orlando now. If it comes down between Tampa Orlando and Miami then Miami would win. I would not be surprised is Boston got snubbed out since they will want to spread the games out more this time then last, which is why i add Denver and Indianapolis to the list.
Ganis no está en línea  
Old July 10th, 2009, 10:38 AM   #1300
ArchieTheGreat

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are owned by the same person Malcolm Glazier who owns the largest most famous football team in the world, Man Utd. Don't underestimate Glaziers influence within football which he could use to have games in Tampa.
ArchieTheGreat no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
los angeles, united states of america, world cup