daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools
Old July 28th, 2009, 05:42 AM   #1381
woozoo
Registered User
 
woozoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 800
Likes (Received): 185

Im assuming by oval, you mean Australian oval stadiums, used for Australian rules football.

The MCG has the largest field dimensions of any Australian oval ground. Heres some pics of an athletics track on the ground.




Answer: Slightly shorter length wise (some seats had to be removed to fit in athletics track), and A LOT wider.

The dimensions for the MCG are 174m * 149m, as opposed to 191 * 127 at Adelaide oval, and 136 * 85 for the Melbourne rectangular stadium.

Despite this, almost all of the MCG seats (95% I think) fit into the FIFA sight distance requirements, which is is pretty good for a stadium of 95,000 capactiy.
woozoo no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 28th, 2009, 05:59 AM   #1382
krudmonk
sucks
 
krudmonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sannozay
Posts: 2,265
Likes (Received): 96

At least Docklands and Stadium Australia have those pullout stands which look alright. Future ovals should be designed in such a manner.
krudmonk no está en línea  
Old July 28th, 2009, 06:14 AM   #1383
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas
 
parcdesprinces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Auteuil, Paris XVI | Quercy | Monaco, MC
Posts: 16,672
Likes (Received): 9686

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
What's wrong with the Rose Bowl? Why are you putting that in with athletics stadiums and oval stadiums?
Because, IMO, it's like an Australian oval or an athletics stadium (even if the stands are closer).
American-Bowl-Style stadiums (although, mostly, I find them elegant) are not really suitable for a good soccer warm athmosphere.

-------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozoo View Post
I hope you dont mind parc
Absolutely not, your list seems much better than mine !
parcdesprinces no está en línea  
Old July 28th, 2009, 06:39 AM   #1384
ryebreadraz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,597
Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcdesprinces View Post
Because, IMO, it's like an Australian oval or an athletics stadium (even if the stands are closer).
American-Bowl-Style stadiums (although, mostly, I find them elegant) are not really suitable for a good soccer warm athmosphere.
Having been to dozens upon dozens of games at the Rose Bowl, I'm going to have to disagree with you there. The Rose Bowl provides an outstanding atmosphere for both football and soccer. The sound actually sits in the stadium and the seats are surprisingly close to the field, even in the last row so the stadium does provide a fine atmosphere IMO.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old July 28th, 2009, 07:20 AM   #1385
en1044
Unregistered User
 
en1044's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,405
Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcdesprinces View Post
Because, IMO, it's like an Australian oval or an athletics stadium (even if the stands are closer).
American-Bowl-Style stadiums (although, mostly, I find them elegant) are not really suitable for a good soccer warm athmosphere.

-------------------------------------



Absolutely not, your list seems much better than mine !
The Rose Bowl is so far from being oval.
__________________
WASHINGTON REDSKINS
en1044 no está en línea  
Old July 28th, 2009, 08:09 AM   #1386
KingmanIII
Registered User
 
KingmanIII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Killa City, Misery
Posts: 2,627
Likes (Received): 415

Reiterating some of the posts here, the stadiums in Oz/NZ I see suitable for hosting World Cup matches are:

1. Sydney - Stadium Australia
2. Melbourne - Etihad Stadium (suitable with retractable seating and maximum allowable pitch dimensions)
3. Brisbane - Suncorp Stadium
4. Sydney - Sydney Football Stadium
5. Christchurch - AMI Stadium (post-redevelopment)
6. Melbourne - Rectangular Stadium

Stadiums that would be suitable if expanded to 30,000:

1. Gold Coast - Skilled Park
2. Auckland - Mt. Smart Stadium
3. Newcastle - EnergyAustralia Stadium
4. Canberra - Canberra Stadium
5. Auckland - North Harbour Stadium

Too bad Perth and Wellington won't get with the program and build a rectangular stadium!
KingmanIII no está en línea  
Old July 28th, 2009, 08:29 AM   #1387
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas
 
parcdesprinces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Auteuil, Paris XVI | Quercy | Monaco, MC
Posts: 16,672
Likes (Received): 9686

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
Having been to dozens upon dozens of games at the Rose Bowl, I'm going to have to disagree with you there. The Rose Bowl provides an outstanding atmosphere for both football and soccer. The sound actually sits in the stadium and the seats are surprisingly close to the field, even in the last row so the stadium does provide a fine atmosphere IMO.
I don't know the Rose Bowl but I've been at the former Soldier field (for soccer games), which was IMO almost a bowl-style stadium and I remember I found the height of the stands too low with no acoustic, not really impressive and from the top of the stands you don't see very well, I prefer a smaller rectangular stadium with steeper stands or several levels (with a roof or not: don't misunderstand me )....
I think bowls are much more suitable for football (US) !

I know that my point of view is a little weird because, aesthetically speaking, I prefer bowl-shaped stadiums. The former Soldier Field was much more elegant than it is today !!
parcdesprinces no está en línea  
Old July 28th, 2009, 08:48 AM   #1388
krudmonk
sucks
 
krudmonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sannozay
Posts: 2,265
Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1044 View Post
The Rose Bowl is so far from being oval.
If he means Australian ovals, then yes. The Rose Bowl is nowhere comparable to those.
krudmonk no está en línea  
Old July 28th, 2009, 09:32 AM   #1389
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas
 
parcdesprinces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Auteuil, Paris XVI | Quercy | Monaco, MC
Posts: 16,672
Likes (Received): 9686

Yes I meant Austalian Oval.. Because the result is the same : In a bowl-shaped stadium, the endzone stands are far from the pitch, and the last rows aren't high enough for having the best view possible !

In an Oval or an athletics stadium this is the same for the endzone stands which also haven't the best view possible !

I didn't want to make a comparison between Ovals, bowls (I know they're different) and Athletics stadiums, I put them in the same list simply because all these configurations/shapes aren't the best ones for soccer, nothing more !
parcdesprinces no está en línea  
Old July 28th, 2009, 09:38 AM   #1390
hngcm
Registered User
 
hngcm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,644
Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvictory View Post
To be honest I would be very dissapointed if the USA win any of the world cups you have only recently had one which was a failure.
Yeah, the most attended World Cup was a failure.

Dumb.
hngcm no está en línea  
Old July 28th, 2009, 10:59 AM   #1391
Lord David
Registered User
 
Lord David's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,785
Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by hngcm View Post
Yeah, the most attended World Cup was a failure.

Dumb.
Indeed. Sure 1994, was a mixed blessing with regards to venue quality and such, but it was indeed successful in attendance. Expect another US FIFA WC to be dramatically different due to the more modern stadiums built after 1994. Expect 60,000+ stadiums which fit the football field dimensions. Expect modern stadiums and not horseshoe shaped classics. It would not be a disappointment but likewise as the previous, a mixed blessing, definitely one that could break the attendance record and be far superior than the US's first hosting.
Lord David no está en línea  
Old July 28th, 2009, 11:49 AM   #1392
mvictory
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 334
Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by hngcm View Post
Yeah, the most attended World Cup was a failure.

Dumb.
The most attended world cup, only because it was all played in large NFL stadiums. if you have big stadiums anywhere for a world cup they will get filled purely because people will want to support there country and will travel/Buy tickets untill all the games are sold out.

however the world cup had very little impact on football in America. because the stadiums were all pre existing stadiums of another code they just returned to NFL after the cup, didn't leave a legacy of the game. and the World cup failed to ignite football as a major sport in the USA.

So if the defanition of a succesfull world cup is filling up a bunch of large NFL stadiums than it was a success. but by any other reasoning it FAILED
mvictory no está en línea  
Old July 28th, 2009, 12:17 PM   #1393
KingmanIII
Registered User
 
KingmanIII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Killa City, Misery
Posts: 2,627
Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvictory View Post
The most attended world cup, only because it was all played in large NFL stadiums. if you have big stadiums anywhere for a world cup they will get filled purely because people will want to support there country and will travel/Buy tickets untill all the games are sold out.

however the world cup had very little impact on football in America. because the stadiums were all pre existing stadiums of another code they just returned to NFL after the cup, didn't leave a legacy of the game. and the World cup failed to ignite football as a major sport in the USA.

So if the defanition of a succesfull world cup is filling up a bunch of large NFL stadiums than it was a success. but by any other reasoning it FAILED
I think things will be much different next time around, as MLS is taking root and flourishing in places like Seattle, and more association football-specific stadiums are being built. USA realistically won't host again until at least 2022, so the sport has a long time to develop.
KingmanIII no está en línea  
Old July 28th, 2009, 12:38 PM   #1394
Lord David
Registered User
 
Lord David's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,785
Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvictory View Post
The most attended world cup, only because it was all played in large NFL stadiums. if you have big stadiums anywhere for a world cup they will get filled purely because people will want to support there country and will travel/Buy tickets untill all the games are sold out.

however the world cup had very little impact on football in America. because the stadiums were all pre existing stadiums of another code they just returned to NFL after the cup, didn't leave a legacy of the game. and the World cup failed to ignite football as a major sport in the USA.

So if the defanition of a succesfull world cup is filling up a bunch of large NFL stadiums than it was a success. but by any other reasoning it FAILED
Actually, it wasn't all played in large NFL Stadiums. The Rose Bowl, Stanford Stadium, Citrus Bowl and Cotton Bowl were college stadiums at the time.

So what if it took a good few years before MLS was properly established, but it did improve the national side and provide some infrastructure development for the stadiums and cities involved.
Lord David no está en línea  
Old July 28th, 2009, 01:45 PM   #1395
Luke80
Registered User
 
Luke80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Surrey, UK
Posts: 774
Likes (Received): 4

I think the point about 1994 leaving very little football legacy is an important one. If they get it again, then I would like to see a largish 'soccer-specific' stadium built for future MLS cup finals/playoff finals and also for US national team games like Wembley or Stade de France. Presumably the US team gets moved around the country because it's so large, it gives more fans the chance to see their national team play, but have a central base for the association wouldn't be a bad thing, even if it wasn't used for every game.

It would also be good if all the MLS stadiums were used in the bid (with temporary capacity upgrades). By the time USA hosts it, hopefully a few more will have been built - possibly with something like that in mind.
Luke80 no está en línea  
Old July 28th, 2009, 05:48 PM   #1396
ryebreadraz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,597
Likes (Received): 17

The point about the 1994 World Cup leaving no legacy is absolutely false. It it because of that World Cup that we even have a professional league now. The World Cup is what got us MLS so that alone is a major, major legacy for the World Cup. The World Cup also got Phil Anschutz into soccer and he's become the man most responsible for the growth of soccer in this country. That World Cup also brokered the deal between US Soccer and Nike, which led to the creation of this country's top youth player development program. 90% of the growth of soccer in this country can be traced back to the World Cup. It did not leave a legacy with regards to stadiums, but that's insignificant. That is not what this country need. The 1994 World Cup left a legacy far superior to any of that and another World Cup here would do what the 1994 World Cup did, but on an even bigger scale.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old July 28th, 2009, 07:11 PM   #1397
krudmonk
sucks
 
krudmonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sannozay
Posts: 2,265
Likes (Received): 96

Apparently Rome was built in a day! I can't believe that a month-long tournament did not spur the construction of twenty or so 50K capacity stadia for teams that did not yet exist! Failure!
krudmonk no está en línea  
Old July 28th, 2009, 09:22 PM   #1398
en1044
Unregistered User
 
en1044's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,405
Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvictory View Post
The most attended world cup, only because it was all played in large NFL stadiums. if you have big stadiums anywhere for a world cup they will get filled purely because people will want to support there country and will travel/Buy tickets untill all the games are sold out.

however the world cup had very little impact on football in America. because the stadiums were all pre existing stadiums of another code they just returned to NFL after the cup, didn't leave a legacy of the game. and the World cup failed to ignite football as a major sport in the USA.

So if the defanition of a succesfull world cup is filling up a bunch of large NFL stadiums than it was a success. but by any other reasoning it FAILED
You still havent given a legit reason why it failed.

If you thought the purpose of the WC was to establish soccer as a MAJOR US sport, up there with the NFL and MLB, then youre wrong.

What it did do was make way for MLS, which is growing every year in support. All the new soccer stadiums that are being built now show how popular it really is becoming. Sure its not the best, but no one is saying it is.

You said that it failed to have impact here. Well with that statement you just made yourself look like an idiot. You couldnt be more wrong.

I think you failed in your post.
__________________
WASHINGTON REDSKINS
en1044 no está en línea  
Old July 28th, 2009, 09:28 PM   #1399
en1044
Unregistered User
 
en1044's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,405
Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke80 View Post
I think the point about 1994 leaving very little football legacy is an important one. If they get it again, then I would like to see a largish 'soccer-specific' stadium built for future MLS cup finals/playoff finals and also for US national team games like Wembley or Stade de France. Presumably the US team gets moved around the country because it's so large, it gives more fans the chance to see their national team play, but have a central base for the association wouldn't be a bad thing, even if it wasn't used for every game.

It would also be good if all the MLS stadiums were used in the bid (with temporary capacity upgrades). By the time USA hosts it, hopefully a few more will have been built - possibly with something like that in mind.
Theres no way you could use MLS stadiums in the WC, thats like saying that you dont care about money.

The NFL stadiums will be fine.
__________________
WASHINGTON REDSKINS
en1044 no está en línea  
Old July 28th, 2009, 09:31 PM   #1400
berkshire royal
Registered User
 
berkshire royal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Reading, Berkshire
Posts: 557
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvictory View Post
The most attended world cup, only because it was all played in large NFL stadiums. if you have big stadiums anywhere for a world cup they will get filled purely because people will want to support there country and will travel/Buy tickets untill all the games are sold out.

however the world cup had very little impact on football in America. because the stadiums were all pre existing stadiums of another code they just returned to NFL after the cup, didn't leave a legacy of the game. and the World cup failed to ignite football as a major sport in the USA.

So if the defanition of a succesfull world cup is filling up a bunch of large NFL stadiums than it was a success. but by any other reasoning it FAILED
Although you wrote this a bit forecefully I can see your point and it is one of my SMALL reservations of a US World Cup. One of the things I like about the modern World Cup is that it leaves behind a host of new stadiums and an improved infrastructure for that nation, we saw it in Korea/Japan, Germany, Brazil and you would probably see it in all the other nations it they get a World Cup but it wouldn't really make any difference on that front in the US. But it definately isn't a strong enough reason to not give them a World Cup.
berkshire royal no está en línea  


Closed Thread

Tags
los angeles, united states of america, world cup

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu