daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old July 30th, 2009, 01:31 AM   #1421
SSE

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1044 View Post
Yeah but in the US soccer is maybe the 5th most popular sport. I'd say those numbers are pretty good for what its come from since 1996 and having to compete with other sports.

16K a match isnt low at all.
Whilst the figures are low given the size of the country and cities, I am not disputing that for a relatively 'new' sport they aren't bad. I'm just saying that they are also nothing to boast about.
SSE no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 30th, 2009, 01:48 AM   #1422
weava
Arch(Struct) Engineer

Likes (Received): 1962

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1044 View Post
Yeah but in the US soccer is maybe the 5th most popular sport. I'd say those numbers are pretty good for what its come from since 1996 and having to compete with other sports.

16K a match isnt low at all.

5th is being way to generous, all these sports are more popular and are on TV all the time: football, basketball, baseball, hockey, tennis, golf, motorsports, ultimate fighting.

I don't think I have ever seen soccer on broadcast TV besides maby the olymics.
weava no está en línea  
Old July 30th, 2009, 02:16 AM   #1423
tritown

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvictory View Post
All of those stadiums would be used year round with football in summer and nrl/super 14 in the winter. after the cup most of them are planned to be reduced to 25 000 which is perfect for those sports with the exception of the melbourne stadium which would remain at 50 000 because there main tennant averages 25 000 to regular season games with matches against rival teams regularly pulling 40-55000. none of these developments would be white elophants.

America has 300,000,000 people. therefore having similar attendance figures to scotland (5,000,000) and australia (20,000,000) is not something to boast about.
Saying that US isn't doing well by comparing it to Australia doesn't really make sense. Australia is also doing well for a new league, so it doesn't diminish the growth of the US game by saying that it's similar to the situation in Australia.

And even though Scotland only has 5 mil, there is still a lot more history with clubs that have a lot more history and tradition, especially with Celtic and Rangers. The same goes for Portugal, with Sporting CP, Porto, Benefica, etc.

The US has proven a viable market for an additional world cup in other areas too, including: large stadiums in place (and much better than in 1994), a proven pool to draw fans from for WC from 1994 with the record crowds. But there is also a lot more footballing going on at every level of the pyramid compared to 1994. There are about a dozen clubs in each of the 2nd and 3rd tiers, which draw about the same amount of fans as many of the lower level SPL clubs, and there are also about 100 clubs in the fourth tier in different leagues.

Also worth mentioning is the growth of MLS itself, as in number of teams, and total number of fans, if not an increase in the average, the relative success of our national team (save the Gold Cup Finals ), and increasing media coverage. It wasn't that long ago that MLS paid the networks to cover them, but now the situation is reversed.

In conclusion, I think that Australia would be a solid host, as well, but let's not diminish the value of having USA as host.
tritown no está en línea  
Old July 30th, 2009, 07:40 AM   #1424
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvictory View Post
All of those stadiums would be used year round with football in summer and nrl/super 14 in the winter. after the cup most of them are planned to be reduced to 25 000 which is perfect for those sports with the exception of the melbourne stadium which would remain at 50 000 because there main tennant averages 25 000 to regular season games with matches against rival teams regularly pulling 40-55000. none of these developments would be white elophants.

America has 300,000,000 people. therefore having similar attendance figures to scotland (5,000,000) and australia (20,000,000) is not something to boast about.
No one is boasting about it, or saying that its fantastic.

You really just have to take into account that people are going to be preoccupied by other sports.
Old July 30th, 2009, 07:42 AM   #1425
en1044
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by weava View Post
5th is being way to generous, all these sports are more popular and are on TV all the time: football, basketball, baseball, hockey, tennis, golf, motorsports, ultimate fighting.

Then you really dont pay attention at all.

Soccer is on ALL the time, especially on ESPN.
Old July 30th, 2009, 07:43 AM   #1426
KingmanIII

Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozoo View Post
Yer, my two posts are FULL of animosity towards US soccer...

Melbourne wouldn't be a white elephant. Crowds average 24,000 after only 4 years, and at the hated, oval etihad stadium. Big games pull crowds around 35k and finals sell out 55. Watch how many games sell out at the rectangular ground with 31 capacity in two seasons time.

Newcastle knights average around 20k at their current outdated stadium. In a new ground in 13 years time after steady population growth, a 40k stadium would be adequate.

Titans already sell out robina quite often. Forecasts show the population should grow from 500 to 800k by 2020, so an upgrade would be useful.

Canberra needs a new stadium capable of hosting bigger socceroos games, state of origin and wallabies games. The proposed plan would inlude a new athletics stadium, a rectangular ground, and reverting Bruce stadium to oval for footy, all in the one major sports precinct. It's a ripper plan for the capital. Canberra could easily have an a league team by 2022.
What about Perth? If they built a suitable rectangular stadium it would really help Australia land a WC.

Would a joint bid with NZ also be possible? I could see them having a few suitable stadiums after expansion.
KingmanIII no está en línea  
Old July 30th, 2009, 07:57 AM   #1427
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

Does Australia get Fox Soccer Channel or GolTV? They're those American channels devoted exclusively to soccer. Maybe you've heard of them.
krudmonk no está en línea  
Old July 30th, 2009, 09:42 AM   #1428
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 353

Quote:

I recorded 5 matches this past weekend. You're lying.
rantanamo no está en línea  
Old July 30th, 2009, 01:46 PM   #1429
Bobby3

Likes (Received): 52

More soccer matches are broadcast in America every week than any other sport. Fact. Hell, two channels show nothing but soccer.
Bobby3 no está en línea  
Old July 30th, 2009, 08:00 PM   #1430
Ganis
BANNED

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
then you dont get ESPN
Ganis no está en línea  
Old July 30th, 2009, 08:08 PM   #1431
Bobby3

Likes (Received): 52

or Fox Soccer Channel, GolTV, Univision, Galavision, Telefutura, or Telemundo.
Bobby3 no está en línea  
Old July 30th, 2009, 10:34 PM   #1432
Ganis
BANNED

Likes (Received): 24

Fox Sport even shows it from time to time
Ganis no está en línea  
Old July 31st, 2009, 06:19 AM   #1433
nyrmetros

Likes (Received): 19

There are more soccer games shown on tv than any other sport.

Some weekends I can get games from MLS (USA), MFL (Mexico), EPL (England), Seria A (Italy), Bundesliga (Germany), La Liga (Spain), Argentina, Brazil.... and that's without even trying.
nyrmetros no está en línea  
Old July 31st, 2009, 08:51 AM   #1434
weava
Arch(Struct) Engineer

Likes (Received): 1962

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganis View Post
then you dont get ESPN
I said on broadcast TV not cable, you know those channels like NBC and Fox that are over the air. I grew up watching TV on rabbit ears and I had never seen a soccer game on TV untill I was in my 20s which is when I got cable.
weava no está en línea  
Old July 31st, 2009, 09:22 AM   #1435
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

You won't be able to see any BCS bowl games without cable, there's talk of the NBA Finals going to cable too. Being on broadcast TV isn't a major deal anymore.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old July 31st, 2009, 09:36 AM   #1436
en1044
Unregistered User

Ok, well baseball is hardly shown on broadcast TV, except for the random game on FOX.
Old July 31st, 2009, 10:23 AM   #1437
golffan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

If You Were Captain Of The USA Solheim Cup Team

who would you pick for your captain's picks? Remember, you're trying to make picks that would help you WIN the Solheim, and you're not at all interested in how many viewers the tv people have, or anything like that.

If the top 10 were as they are, and you had to make your picks now, here are the gals from 11 through 20....

I looked over the list and came away discouraged... Let's see what you think...
golffan no está en línea  
Old July 31st, 2009, 09:48 PM   #1438
bigbossman

Likes (Received): 4

Oz and USA don't compare favourably imho, Australia is a near totally urban country and that urban population is centralised in a small collection of pretty large cities all of which seem to have representation in the A league. The USA on the other hand is urban also but of course it can't have teams in every city, i'd wager that if you added up the population of the metro/urban areas in the USA with a football team it probably wouldn't add up to a third of their population.

Like i have said repeatedly when people try and compare support in Europe having a larger population doesn't come into it. If Real, Getafe and Atletico all got relegated from la liga madrid would have no representation, but that doesn't mean that everyone in madrid would suddenly support other sides, it means that you can't take in full national population when equating relative attendances in countries. People in Leeds, Newcastle, Naples, Milan, London, Dusseldorf, Amsterdam, Moscow, Chicago, Istanbul, Athens, Melbourne wherever generally support the teams of their cities.

As you can see it is far from being anywhere near black and white. Therefore in comparing leagues etc you shpould compare metro/urban areas of competiting cities first. Not to mention things like lower leagues, amount of teams etc etc

the 7 largest aussie cities have a team, and those cities represent nearly 75% of the australian population.

Last edited by bigbossman; July 31st, 2009 at 11:29 PM.
bigbossman no está en línea  
Old July 31st, 2009, 09:52 PM   #1439
bigbossman

Likes (Received): 4

On the USA getting the world cup in the UK we get a channel called ESPN america and they show PTI and Aroudn the horn and jim rome is burning every night, and i saw an interview if Jozy Altidore by that Wilbon guy and his bald mate and his attitude was refreshing and it made me see Americans and the sport of football in that country in a whole different light. I think for the americans who still support and love football in an environment where they are constantly ridiculed and mocked they do maybe deserve an olive branch from the rest of the footballing world and maybe the 2022 world cup is that.. i dunno...
bigbossman no está en línea  
Old July 31st, 2009, 10:33 PM   #1440
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17797

Houston wants to take part in U.S. World Cup City submits bid to host games in 2018 or '22
30 July 2009
Houston Chronicle

Don't even think about belting out a loud gooool! yet, but if only at the dawning of a long and challenging process, the Bayou City is a step closer to scoring World Cup action. Houston and Reliant Stadium are officially in the running to host World Cup matches should the United States be awarded the 2018 or 2022 edition of soccer's marquee event and the biggest and most-viewed sporting event in the world after a formal proposal was submitted to the USA Bid Committee by Wednesday's deadline.

"The World Cup is not just the pre-eminent sporting event in the world, it is an international celebration of culture that is capable of uniting people in a way that nothing else can," said Jamey Rootes, president of the Texans and the Houston Bid Committee, which submitted the proposal. "Soccer is the world's game, and we are committed to bringing it to Houston and showcasing the diversity, hospitality and international flair of our community to the rest of the world."

The goal of the proposal, also prepared by the Houston Bid Committee - a nonprofit group made up of members representing public and private interests, including the city of Houston; Harris County; the Convention and Visitors Bureau; Reliant Park manager SMG; and Lone Star Sports and Entertainment, the soccer and entertainment arm of the Texans, among others - is to lock the Bayou City as one of the 18 cities/venues chosen by the USA Bid Committee - an arm of the U.S. Soccer Federation - for its final World Cup bid to FIFA, the sport's governing body.

In addition to Reliant Stadium and Houston's soccer community, highlights of the proposal included the city's more than 54,000 hotel and motel rooms, the sixth-largest airport system in the world, the world's largest medical center, and the headquarters of 25 Fortune 500 companies, said LSSE general manager Chris Keeney.

Prior to submitting the proposal, Houston was one of 37 U.S. markets that expressed interest in hosting World Cup matches should FIFA award the United States the 2018 or 2022 World Cup.

South Africa is set to host the 2010 World Cup; Brazil will follow in 2014.

The United States, Australia, England, Indonesia, Japan, Mexico and Russia have declared their desire to host the monthlong World Cup in 2018 or 2022.

Netherlands-Belgium and Portugal-Spain have submitted joint bids for the 2018 and 2022 editions; Qatar and South Korea have applied as candidates to host the 2022 edition.

Candidates must have their bid applications to FIFA by May 14, 2010. FIFA's 24-member executive committee will announce the hosts for the 2018 and 2022 editions in December 2010.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
los angeles, united states of america, world cup