daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old August 1st, 2009, 10:41 PM   #1441
Bobby3

Likes (Received): 52

Houston, like Chicago, LA and NY is all but a lock to host matches if we get it.
Bobby3 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old August 1st, 2009, 10:47 PM   #1442
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby3 View Post
Houston, like Chicago, LA and NY is all but a lock to host matches if we get it.
Agreed. Texas is so huge that it will almost assuredly have 2 hosts, Houston and Dallas.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old August 2nd, 2009, 05:24 AM   #1443
KingmanIII

Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
On the USA getting the world cup in the UK we get a channel called ESPN america and they show PTI and Aroudn the horn and jim rome is burning every night, and i saw an interview if Jozy Altidore by that Wilbon guy and his bald mate and his attitude was refreshing and it made me see Americans and the sport of football in that country in a whole different light. I think for the americans who still support and love football in an environment where they are constantly ridiculed and mocked they do maybe deserve an olive branch from the rest of the footballing world and maybe the 2022 world cup is that.. i dunno...
Yeah, there are a few sports talk show hosts such as Jim Rome and Colin Cowherd who pander to the lowest common denominator of the American sports fanbase when it comes to futbol, but some of us have learned to simply tune them out when they go on one of their regular diatribes.

I must confess, I take pleasure in an occasional pisstake regarding what many perceive as negative aspects of the game (diving primadonnas, hooliganism, overly stringent offside rule, etc.), but I respect the game nonetheless.
KingmanIII no está en línea  
Old August 2nd, 2009, 09:16 AM   #1444
JYDA

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingmanIII View Post
Yeah, there are a few sports talk show hosts such as Jim Rome and Colin Cowherd who pander to the lowest common denominator of the American sports fanbase when it comes to futbol, but some of us have learned to simply tune them out when they go on one of their regular diatribes.

Cowherd is now an admitted convert thanks to the Confederations Cup. He's even excited for the US qualifier in Mexico on the 12th. The Confed Cup run did so much to change opinions about the sport in the United States.

The rants against soccer that have been so common in the states (and here in Canada) are not so much about the sport itself but more about it being perceived as "foreign". It's just one battle in a much bigger culture war. Those who rant against it are always die-hard nativists that see soccer as a foreign aspect of globalization infringing on a sovereign sporting culture. The rants are more about pushing back against what they see as a threat. You'll notice the rants are always framed in a context of "us and them" as in "they have their sports and we have ours and that's the way it should be". Thats why Beckham didn't work. The mainstream subconsciously viewed him as a foreigner coming over to supposedly convert people to a "foreign" sport. Conversely, the success of the US team worked in changing opinions and mindsets because it stripped away people's cultural insecurity. The ranters see a team of Americans representing the country and beating the #1 team in the world and realize they now have a dog in the fight and they can't help but feel pride. Then all of a sudden everyone was glued to the tv for the game against Brazil.

The way for soccer to become more mainstream in the states is the national team. It appeals to american pride and collectivism and gives the mainstream american a rooting interest where the focus is purely on winning in the sport as opposed to winning in the culture war.

Last edited by JYDA; August 2nd, 2009 at 09:25 AM.
JYDA no está en línea  
Old August 2nd, 2009, 10:08 PM   #1445
KingmanIII

Likes (Received): 415

I'll admit, I haven't listened to Cowherd in quite some time, so I never knew that he had a change of heart.

The rest I could not have said half as well myself.
KingmanIII no está en línea  
Old August 3rd, 2009, 12:49 AM   #1446
bigbossman

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingmanIII View Post
Yeah but I think the put your head in the sand and pretend it ain't happening stance is wrong. Isn't it better to take on the "ignorant" and expose them for what they are, rather than allow them to breed a whole legion of followers??

afterall it's not just them, it's near enough the whole lot.

Quote:
I must confess, I take pleasure in an occasional pisstake regarding what many perceive as negative aspects of the game (diving primadonnas, hooliganism, overly stringent offside rule, etc.), but I respect the game nonetheless.
But why? we don't pisstake american sports, in fact it wouldn't even come up in conversation for 99% of people, even from our media, people just don't care

I just think the problem is that people don't know the difference between a diver and an exaggerator. Most of what we call diving is actually just exaggerating, although you get players like dani alves who do both. Sometimes if you don't exaggerate you don't get the free kick and you lose possession catch 22.

hooliganism lol they still think we have a "problem" here in England. Although it's a bit pot and kettle, wilbon and his mate were going at the danish fan trying to attack the ref (youtube), but if you scour around the net that sort of shit happens in the states just as often.

on the offside rule, it doesn't prevent fast breaks it enables them without it football would become hoof ball as this ain't basketball players can't run up and down the pitch because it's too big.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYDA View Post
Cowherd is now an admitted convert thanks to the Confederations Cup. He's even excited for the US qualifier in Mexico on the 12th. The Confed Cup run did so much to change opinions about the sport in the United States.
Here is an mp3 of cowherd saying he thinks the world cup will replace the olympics as the big 4 year event, and saying European "soccer" is the future.

scroll down to The B.S. Report: 7/8 and forward to about 50 mins http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/...ive?id=2864045

Quote:
The rants against soccer that have been so common in the states (and here in Canada) are not so much about the sport itself but more about it being perceived as "foreign". It's just one battle in a much bigger culture war. Those who rant against it are always die-hard nativists that see soccer as a foreign aspect of globalization infringing on a sovereign sporting culture. The rants are more about pushing back against what they see as a threat. You'll notice the rants are always framed in a context of "us and them" as in "they have their sports and we have ours and that's the way it should be". Thats why Beckham didn't work. The mainstream subconsciously viewed him as a foreigner coming over to supposedly convert people to a "foreign" sport. Conversely, the success of the US team worked in changing opinions and mindsets because it stripped away people's cultural insecurity. The ranters see a team of Americans representing the country and beating the #1 team in the world and realize they now have a dog in the fight and they can't help but feel pride. Then all of a sudden everyone was glued to the tv for the game against Brazil.

The way for soccer to become more mainstream in the states is the national team. It appeals to american pride and collectivism and gives the mainstream american a rooting interest where the focus is purely on winning in the sport as opposed to winning in the culture war.
Most of the world consider football more than a sport so in many ways it is a culture war, if you let football into your heart you let a whole lot of baggage in with you (generally speaking of course).

The problem i have with the yanks ever winning the world cup is it might reinforce the american inward arrogance. As you get, we'd dominate "soccer" if our best athletes had played, it goes imagine KG in goal (too tall), LeBron up front (too tall, too slow), Reggie on the wing (a sprinter in boots) etc etc.

I've always thought if america gets dumped in a group at the next world cup with North Korea, Russia and France and either escapes it or gets dumped out extremely controversially you might see an excelleration. I mean there's nothing like revenge and wanting to win to improve the focus and attention on something.

Last edited by bigbossman; August 3rd, 2009 at 02:05 AM.
bigbossman no está en línea  
Old August 3rd, 2009, 01:46 AM   #1447
Bobby3

Likes (Received): 52

I was surprised how many people were really angry when we got thumped by Mexico, they usually wouldn't care.
Bobby3 no está en línea  
Old August 3rd, 2009, 02:36 AM   #1448
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9708

Quote:
I've always thought if america gets dumped in a group at the next world cup with North Korea, Russia and France and either escapes it or gets dumped out extremely controversially you might see an excelleration. I mean there's nothing like revenge and wanting to win to improve the focus and attention on something.
Great set of nations but Why France ????? We don't have any problem with USA..
And we are not really like North Korea (except the nuclear weapons )

It's Maybe because you didn't forget 2 famous Zidane's goals at Da Luz during Euro '04........ Your national team should try to take its revenge itself, instead of asking another country or another sport (rugby ) to do it !

If it's about Scotland during Euro '08 qualification, It was a Franco-Italian Conspiracy against Scotland , but the answer is the same : The team must take its revange itself !
parcdesprinces no está en línea  
Old August 3rd, 2009, 02:40 AM   #1449
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

United Statesians have a problem with France which stems from opposition to the war in Iraq (see: Freedom Fries) and is propagated by muppets like Bill O'Reilly. It's embarrassing to the sane people here. Sorry.
krudmonk no está en línea  
Old August 3rd, 2009, 02:41 AM   #1450
Luke80

Did Iraq qualify?
Luke80 no está en línea  
Old August 3rd, 2009, 03:43 AM   #1451
bigbossman

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcdesprinces View Post
Great set of nations but Why France ????? We don't have any problem with USA..
And we are not really like North Korea (except the nuclear weapons )

It's Maybe because you didn't forget 2 famous Zidane's goals at Da Luz during Euro '04........ Your national team should try to take its revenge itself, instead of asking another country or another sport (rugby ) to do it !

If it's about Scotland during Euro '08 qualification, It was a Franco-Italian Conspiracy against Scotland , but the answer is the same : The team must take its revange itself !
calm down, you make as if you've never read my posts on here, i am no fan of the England national football team and its annoyingly hysterical media bandwagon.

I chucked france in because the "USAians" don't like you guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
United Statesians have a problem with France which stems from opposition to the war in Iraq (see: Freedom Fries) and is propagated by muppets like Bill O'Reilly. It's embarrassing to the sane people here. Sorry.
Exactly, that was what i was getting at

Man bill o'reilly didn't he get ludacris the sack from pepsi...?
bigbossman no está en línea  
Old August 3rd, 2009, 03:57 AM   #1452
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Man bill o'reilly didn't he get ludacris the sack from pepsi...?
Somehow he pulled it off.

Man, he is one guy I'd like to punch in the face.
Old August 3rd, 2009, 04:17 AM   #1453
El Mariachi

Likes (Received): 5995

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman
I chucked france in because the "USAians" don't like you guys
Whaaaat? That freedom fries thing amounted to nothing. Bill O'Reilly only reaches a few million people.

That whole "America hates the French" is probally the most overblown thing I have ever seen.
El Mariachi no está en línea  
Old August 3rd, 2009, 04:59 AM   #1454
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Quote:
Yes I know about all this stuff (I remember the customs at the Atlanta airport last time I've been in USA, it was quite different than before the war in Iraq)..but times have changed (again) now...

Americans that I know (In Paris or in USA) never had any problem with France or French people.

I think, today, all the Francofobes know we were right about this war and they should learn about history of the old Franco-American friendship (from your independance war, the Francophile tradition in the American elites, WW I, the battle of Normandy, till the expression of our solidarity with your nation after the 9/11 attacks).

Cadets of West Point (2002 Bastille Day, Champs-Elysées, Paris)

About fries, it's a bit childish to change the name (Maybe whose who changed the name should also remove the Statue of Liberty, rename the University of Notre-Dame and all the French names in USA ), and it's not "french fries" but "belgian fries" ....

If some people don't want to eat french food, wear french clothes, use french cosmetics, drink French wines and Champagne etc... It's their problem, but I think they will miss many things.....

Some people in USA react just like a kid when you (France) say no to him (USA) .

Last edited by parcdesprinces; August 3rd, 2009 at 05:06 AM.
Old August 3rd, 2009, 05:28 AM   #1455
Ganis
BANNED

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Mariachi View Post
Whaaaat? That freedom fries thing amounted to nothing. Bill O'Reilly only reaches a few million people.

That whole "America hates the French" is probally the most overblown thing I have ever seen.

I know 1 Texan who LOVES France...

Ganis no está en línea  
Old August 3rd, 2009, 05:38 AM   #1456
woozoo

Likes (Received): 188

Quote:
USA needs to develop a good looking, white, top class soccer player in the MLS, who is good enough to the be sold to Manchester United or Liverpool or Real Madrid or something for some mega bucks. He needs to play an important role at the club, but maintain strong ties with the US, and possibly retain some ties to his old MLS club.
That, coupled with more success in the world cup against the national teams mentioned, would do a world of good for the game in the states.
woozoo no está en línea  
Old August 3rd, 2009, 05:41 AM   #1457
en1044
Unregistered User

(@ Ganis)
Old August 3rd, 2009, 05:45 AM   #1458
en1044
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozoo View Post
USA needs to develop a good looking, white, top class soccer player in the MLS, who is good enough to the be sold to Manchester United or Liverpool or Real Madrid or something for some mega bucks. He needs to play an important role at the club, but maintain strong ties with the US, and possibly retain some ties to his old MLS club.
That, coupled with more success in the world cup against the national teams mentioned, would do a world of good for the game in the states.
Well, Tim Howard would almost meet your qualifications, but hes black.
Old August 3rd, 2009, 05:50 AM   #1459
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganis View Post
I know 1 Texan who LOVES France...
I know, personally, at least 2 more (from you city and they live in Paris )...

About the size you forgot French Overseas Departments and Territories.

OK, end of off topic for me.
Old August 3rd, 2009, 06:19 AM   #1460
Scba

Likes (Received): 1420

Meanwhile, on topic...

Baltimore's planning an athletic complex anchored by a 5k-7k soccer stadium. Obviously wouldn't be used in a match, but part of the reason of construction sounds like a pitch to bolster their status as a soccer town and grab a game for M&T Bank.
Scba no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
los angeles, united states of america, world cup