daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old August 3rd, 2009, 06:23 AM   #1461
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scba View Post
Meanwhile, on topic...

Baltimore's planning an athletic complex anchored by a 5k-7k soccer stadium. Obviously wouldn't be used in a match, but part of the reason of construction sounds like a pitch to bolster their status as a soccer town and grab a game for M&T Bank.
Do you know if they will try to get a USL team to be a tenant at that stadium?
ryebreadraz no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old August 3rd, 2009, 06:38 AM   #1462
Scba

Likes (Received): 1420

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
Do you know if they will try to get a USL team to be a tenant at that stadium?
Crystal Palace Baltimore would play there, so maybe they'd move up from USL-2 to USL.
Scba no está en línea  
Old August 3rd, 2009, 07:00 AM   #1463
woozoo

Likes (Received): 188

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1044 View Post
Well, Tim Howard would almost meet your qualifications, but hes black.
Not famous enough. Goal keepers are rarely as famous or glamorous as strikers or attacking midfielders or something like that. Also he plays for Everton, which most of the American public would have never really heard of if it werent for Howard playing there (im assuming). In Australia we had Harry Kewell who signed for Liverpool. Everytime he scored a goal or did anything really, it would be put in the 6 oclock news sport highlights. He became the face of Australian soccer and for the first time a soccer player could be considered a superstar. When the face of soccer has their face on the cover of mainstream magazines, newspapers etc the sport atracts a much wider fan base.

I dont think the US has had a player like that yet.
woozoo está en línea ahora  
Old August 3rd, 2009, 07:00 AM   #1464
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Crystal Palace Baltimore would play there, so maybe they'd move up from USL-2 to USL.
Before anyone says anything, yes this Crystal Palace is an offshoot of the real one.
Old August 3rd, 2009, 07:53 AM   #1465
ryebreadraz

Quote:
That's cool then. I'm excited to see cities, even if they can't get a MLS team, support soccer. Unfortunately, I don't see MLS ever getting enough teams to merit putting another team in the northeast, unless its another NY team. For the northeast to get another non-NY team, I think MLS would have to get top 30 teams, which is unlikely any time soon so it's important that cities still support soccer like Baltimore is with this place.
Old August 3rd, 2009, 02:44 PM   #1466
Bobby3

Likes (Received): 52

They're stopping at 20, apparently.
Bobby3 no está en línea  
Old August 3rd, 2009, 06:10 PM   #1467
ryebreadraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby3 View Post
They're stopping at 20, apparently.
I highly doubt that. I think their goal right now is 20, at which point they will reevaluate their expansion and business plan, but I'll be shocked if 20 is their number to completely stop.
Old August 4th, 2009, 06:52 AM   #1468
Benn

Likes (Received): 167

I would expect 24 shorter term with around 30 as an eventuality, like the other major leagues in this country. Montreal, St Louis and a second New York team seem like locks in the next few years. Seeing cities that have had on and off plans like Milwaukee, Minneapolis/St Paul, Ottowa, San Diego or another try at a Florida team wouldn't suprise me in the least.
Benn no está en línea  
Old August 4th, 2009, 07:25 AM   #1469
JYDA

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozoo View Post
USA needs to develop a good looking, white, top class soccer player in the MLS, who is good enough to the be sold to Manchester United or Liverpool or Real Madrid or something for some mega bucks. He needs to play an important role at the club, but maintain strong ties with the US, and possibly retain some ties to his old MLS club.
That, coupled with more success in the world cup against the national teams mentioned, would do a world of good for the game in the states.
I'm not sure race is that big of a requirement.

I know a lot of fingers were crossed that Freddy Adu would be that guy and be the yanks' first world class player. He's 20 which is still young but the chances of him being the superstar everyone thought he would be are growing slimmer all the time. Altidore has the potential to do big things but still has a lot of work to do. His touch and work ethic aren't where they need to be.
JYDA no está en línea  
Old August 4th, 2009, 08:37 AM   #1470
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

Americans get benched in Europe. It will never happen.
krudmonk no está en línea  
Old August 4th, 2009, 09:19 AM   #1471
DennisRodman97
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
USA needs to develop a good looking, white, top class soccer player in the MLS, who is good enough to the be sold to Manchester United or Liverpool or Real Madrid or something for some mega bucks. He needs to play an important role at the club, but maintain strong ties with the US, and possibly retain some ties to his old MLS club.
That, coupled with more success in the world cup against the national teams mentioned, would do a world of good for the game in the states.
why does this have to be about race....america needs talent even he is green looking...look at brazil they produce talent no matter of what race...but since america is so obsessed with race u have to bring this bullshyt out...cmon dude its 2009.....its ur talent that speaks not color of ur skin.
DennisRodman97 no está en línea  
Old August 4th, 2009, 10:21 AM   #1472
KingmanIII

Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Not famous enough. Goal keepers are rarely as famous or glamorous as strikers or attacking midfielders or something like that. Also he plays for Everton, which most of the American public would have never really heard of if it werent for Howard playing there (im assuming). In Australia we had Harry Kewell who signed for Liverpool. Everytime he scored a goal or did anything really, it would be put in the 6 oclock news sport highlights. He became the face of Australian soccer and for the first time a soccer player could be considered a superstar. When the face of soccer has their face on the cover of mainstream magazines, newspapers etc the sport atracts a much wider fan base.

I dont think the US has had a player like that yet.
Most of the actual football fans here know about Everton and the Merseyside derby (at least I do).

I was so angry when Setanta or whoever were broadcasting the match inexplicably switched to commercial near the end of it, only for them to switch back RIGHT AFTER Gosling scored the go-ahead goal!!!!! @$%(^[email protected]$#^!!!!!

Demarcus Beasley was somewhat popular over here -- now he plays for Rangers whom we seldom see over here except maybe in the UEFA Cup or something of that sort.
KingmanIII no está en línea  
Old August 4th, 2009, 06:52 PM   #1473
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

Likes (Received): 6731

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingmanIII View Post
Most of the actual football fans here know about Everton and the Merseyside derby (at least I do).

I was so angry when Setanta or whoever were broadcasting the match inexplicably switched to commercial near the end of it, only for them to switch back RIGHT AFTER Gosling scored the go-ahead goal!!!!! @$%(^[email protected]$#^!!!!!

Demarcus Beasley was somewhat popular over here -- now he plays for Rangers whom we seldom see over here except maybe in the UEFA Cup or something of that sort.
Lol that pissed a lot of people off,great result though.

The Merseyside derby is the most contested derby in English football,every single one of them were have taken place in the top flight of English football,nobody else can make that claim.There've been five at Wembley too.
Paul D no está en línea  
Old August 4th, 2009, 07:38 PM   #1474
bigbossman

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:

that was nothing to do with setanta, it was ITV, it happened in the UK too, so I assume they were just using the ITV feed...
bigbossman no está en línea  
Old August 4th, 2009, 08:44 PM   #1475
KingmanIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
Lol that pissed a lot of people off,great result though.

The Merseyside derby is the most contested derby in English football,every single one of them were have taken place in the top flight of English football,nobody else can make that claim.There've been five at Wembley too.
What about the Northwest Derby? Were Man Utd and Liverpool ever not both in top-flight?

Is Arsenal and Chelsea considered a derby?
Old August 4th, 2009, 08:46 PM   #1476
KingmanIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
that was nothing to do with setanta, it was ITV, it happened in the UK too, so I assume they were just using the ITV feed...
Yeah, my bad, it was ITV...didn't they also fudge a big F-1 race some time ago?
Old August 4th, 2009, 09:55 PM   #1477
KingmanIII

oh yeah, almost forgot:

Old August 4th, 2009, 10:10 PM   #1478
bigbossman

har har
Old August 4th, 2009, 11:00 PM   #1479
Bobby3

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
What about the Northwest Derby? Were Man Utd and Liverpool ever not both in top-flight?

Is Arsenal and Chelsea considered a derby?
Man Utd got relegated in the 70's.

Arsenal - Chelsea is a officially a derby, but it's neither team's main derby. That'd be Tottenham, for both.
Bobby3 no está en línea  
Old August 5th, 2009, 01:20 AM   #1480
bigbossman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby3 View Post
Man Utd got relegated in the 70's.
Also

Liverpool weren't in the top flight for most of the 50s and into the early 60s

Man united missed a large chunk of the thirties

Quote:
Arsenal - Chelsea is a officially a derby, but it's neither team's main derby. That'd be Tottenham, for both.
Don't believe the hype Arsenal-Chelsea has always been massive especially up to and including the 1970s. The chelsea-tottenham thing is massively exaggerated.

Closed Thread

Tags
los angeles, united states of america, world cup