daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old August 11th, 2009, 02:16 AM   #1501
El Mariachi

Likes (Received): 5995

Would it be possible, if I was a billionaire, to buy Manchester United and move them to say----Oklahoma City?
El Mariachi no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old August 11th, 2009, 02:22 AM   #1502
KingmanIII

Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by metros11 View Post
Judging by your reply you're more like Hank Hill from Bevis and Butthead.
Hank Hill is from King of the Hill but based upon Tom Anderson from Beavis and Butthead.
KingmanIII no está en línea  
Old August 11th, 2009, 02:33 AM   #1503
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Mariachi View Post
Would it be possible, if I was a billionaire, to buy Manchester United and move them to say----Oklahoma City?
Yeah, since they're like Wimbledon and OKC is like Milton Keynes. Same thing, really.
krudmonk no está en línea  
Old August 11th, 2009, 11:22 AM   #1504
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
It is certainly possible. Just that your club can't compete in English and European club competitions any more. Which will result in a revenue downturn of about 98%. And you will receive hatred.
Old August 11th, 2009, 04:56 PM   #1505
bigbossman

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
No it's not possible, they changed the rules after the wimbledon fiasco. I'm sure if you did you'd have to forfeit all intellectual property etc etc

Moving teams to different cities just isn't tolerated over here.
bigbossman no está en línea  
Old August 11th, 2009, 06:11 PM   #1506
trmather

Likes (Received): 73

Do we reckon FIFA would allow the US to submit 20 stadiums in the interest of keeping a spread of venues, but minimising how far teams have to travel?

They did it for Korea-Japan...
trmather no está en línea  
Old August 11th, 2009, 08:26 PM   #1507
metros11

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
No it's not possible, they changed the rules after the wimbledon fiasco. I'm sure if you did you'd have to forfeit all intellectual property etc etc

Moving teams to different cities just isn't tolerated over here.
If a billionaire bought Manchester United and owned the majority of the club then he could do whatever he desired with it. If he wanted to move it to Oklahoma City, then he most certainly could. The problem would be in the fact that Man U would no longer be eligible to play in the Premier League or any FA authorized league for that matter, which would of course mean the end of european football as well. But if this billionaire wanted to bring Man U to United States and join MLS, then he theoretically could do so. And he would be able to keep all the names, badges and colors associated with the club as Man U is a publicly traded company and everything is reserved.

Of course this would never happen as it would be dumbest move in the history of sports.
metros11 no está en línea  
Old August 11th, 2009, 08:29 PM   #1508
galaxtico
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

According to www.stadiumzone.net the US has enough stadiums that can be used as a World Cup venue. There are so many stadiums in the US, no other country comes close.
galaxtico no está en línea  
Old August 11th, 2009, 08:34 PM   #1509
bigbossman

Quote:
If a billionaire bought Manchester United and owned the majority of the club then he could do whatever he desired with it. If he wanted to move it to Oklahoma City, then he most certainly could. The problem would be in the fact that Man U would no longer be eligible to play in the Premier League or any FA authorized league for that matter, which would of course mean the end of european football as well. But if this billionaire wanted to bring Man U to United States and join MLS, then he theoretically could do so. And he would be able to keep all the names, badges and colors associated with the club as Man U is a publicly traded company and everything is reserved.
Theoretically yes, but trust me the British government would get involved, and so would FIFA and UEFA, there is literally no chance.

Man united are a they not an it btw. As they are a club aka a group of individuals.
Old August 11th, 2009, 08:54 PM   #1510
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:

Of course this would never happen as it would be dumbest move in the history of sports.
Manchester United might be big. But they are still just a tiny fraction of European football.
Old August 11th, 2009, 09:45 PM   #1511
KingmanIII

Quote:
European football teams are clubs, not franchises, which means they're far more symbiotic with their cities.
Old August 11th, 2009, 09:49 PM   #1512
KingmanIII

Quote:
Man united are a they not an it btw. As they are a club aka a group of individuals.
One of the many differences between American and British syntax, I guess.

We tend to construe collectives as one gender-neutral entity, hence, "it."
Old August 11th, 2009, 09:58 PM   #1513
Bobby3

Likes (Received): 52

He couldn't bring "Manchester United" to the US, the Borough of Trafford would municipalize the name.
Bobby3 no está en línea  
Old August 11th, 2009, 11:12 PM   #1514
bigbossman

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
Manchester United might be big. But they are still just a tiny fraction of European football.
I think he meant for Manchester United not for everyone, i doubt he's niave enough to think man united are European football

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingmanIII
One of the many differences between American and British syntax, I guess.

We tend to construe collectives as one gender-neutral entity, hence, "it."
We do use it (or i think we do), from what i hear on most of the continent, clubs are hers and hims...

I'd always thought it was because Americans were more detached from their sports so that's why they refer to them like that, i didn't know it was how English is over there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingmanIII
European football teams are clubs, not franchises, which means they're far more symbiotic with their cities.
exactly it's only within the last 30 years in England that owners have been allowed to take profit out of clubs, in many countries they still can't or are member owned. It just wouldn't happen to a big or medium or even small club as there would be riots. Wimbledon were a speck in all reality.
Old August 12th, 2009, 04:15 AM   #1515
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by trmather View Post
Do we reckon FIFA would allow the US to submit 20 stadiums in the interest of keeping a spread of venues, but minimising how far teams have to travel?

I doubt it because 12 venues would allow enough spread while still limiting travel.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old August 12th, 2009, 09:56 AM   #1516
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

I can see maybe 16 but not 20.
hngcm no está en línea  
Old August 12th, 2009, 10:17 AM   #1517
Lord David

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by trmather View Post

Korea-Japan was a different story. They both wanted to host the WC, but were bickering to the point that FIFA decided that they could both joint host. Which is why FIFA permitted 10 venues for each nation. Which is why now they're bidding again so they can host the WC alone, without the constraints of the other nation.

20 venues would not be permitted by FIFA, not by one nation, and not by any joint bid (Assuming that said nations bidding in a joint bid are mutually bidding together with the knowledge that either can't host alone).
Lord David no está en línea  
Old August 12th, 2009, 02:20 PM   #1518
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9711

I don't know if there an official rule about a maximum number of venues (a minimum, yes).

Brazil 2014: 12 stadiums, 10 minimum (32 teams/64 games)
South Africa 2010: 10 stadiums (32 teams/64 games)
Germany 2006: 12 stadiums (32 teams/64 games)
Korea-Japan 2002: 20 stadiums (32 teams/64 games)
France 98: 10 stadiums (32 teams/64 games)
USA 94: 9 stadiums (24 teams/52 games)
Italy 90: 12 stadiums (24 teams/52 games)
Mexico 86: 12 stadiums (24 teams/52 games)
Spain 82: 17 stadiums (24 teams/52 games)

By comparison UEFA Euro:

Euro 2016: "9 stadiums minimum" (24 teams/51 games)
Poland-Ukraine 2012: 8 stadiums (16 teams/31 games)
Austria-Switzerland 2008: 8 stadiums (16 teams/31 games)
Portugal 2004: 10 stadiums (16 teams/31 games)
Belgium-Netherlands 2000: 8 stadiums (16 teams/31 games)
England 1996: 8 stadiums (16 teams/31 games)

Last edited by parcdesprinces; August 12th, 2009 at 02:27 PM.
parcdesprinces no está en línea  
Old August 12th, 2009, 06:59 PM   #1519
metros11

Quote:
Man United is a business that's publicly traded, which means it can potentially have 1 owner.
Old August 12th, 2009, 06:59 PM   #1520
metros11

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
I meant the 'end of European football' for Manchester United, not the end of all European football.

Closed Thread

Tags
los angeles, united states of america, world cup