daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old August 23rd, 2009, 01:10 AM   #1541
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

I've posted my list on this thread before, but it was months ago so I'll do it again. My goal here was to achieve geographic spread, while maintaining four three-stadium regions so a "pod system" can be used to limit travel for the teams and its fans. Two groups would be in each pod so that would limit travel and while travel can't be completely eliminated for the knockout stages, I believe it can be done so most teams can go to the final with only one long trip and two at most. In creating pods, some large cities (possibly Philadelphia) have been omitted for a smaller city in a more region short on obvious choices (midwest).

I've also taken some liberties with guessing which cities will get stadiums done by 2018/2022. For this reason, I've also provided back-up options so each region has at least three completed stadiums (except the west where I'm banking on one of three cities building a stadium). The back-up options are marked by a *. I've also worked under the assumption that should a new stadium not get built or the stadium in a city not meet World Cup regulation field size, small renovations will be made to accommodate. So, with that said, here's my list:

East
New York/New Jersey, New Meadowlands Stadium (82,500)- I'm not sure anyone will really argue with this selection. New York (or New Jersey) will be a host and while arrangements may need to be made for grass, it will be done so this stadium will host.

Washington DC, New Redskins Stadium, (~100,000+)- I'm one of those who believe Dan Snyder will get his way and get his new stadium within the next decade. He can't be happy to see Jerry World and know he has been out done so I can 'Skins back in DC with a 100,000+ seat stadium that has a roof for that Super Bowl Snyder has been chasing. If not, FedEx Field can be widened to fit a field and likely will because the capital must host matches.

Boston, Gillette Stadium (68,756)- I've been to this stadium and am not a fan. The location is awful and there's not much outstanding about the stadium. In fact, I'd love if Philadelphia were the third host in the east, but Robert Kraft is on the bid committee and wields enough power to ensure his stadium hosts matches.

*Philadelphia, Lincoln Financial Field (68,532)*- I hope Philadelphia hosts matches, but I don't see it happening. It's a great city though, filled with history and it has a stadium that's plenty fine. The field must be widened some, but not by too much and the way the stadium is built, it's not difficult to do. This is the top back-up option for the region.

*Baltimore, M&T Bank Stadium (71,008)*- One of my favorite stadiums and an underrated city, but it's so close to DC and in a region filled with larger cities that it's doubtful they host matches.

South
Dallas, Cowboys Stadium (~100,000)- The expanded capacity of Cowboys Stadium is up for debate, but whatever it is, it will be plenty big enough. There is the turf issue, which can be easily resolved and the corners will need to taken out a bit so a full field can fit, but nothing major needs to be done. This stadium, representing a city as big as Dallas is pretty much a sure thing.

Houston, Reliant Stadium (71,500)- This stadium is often overlooked, partly because of what Jerry Jones has built in the same state, but it's one of the finer facilities in the US. Houston is a huge city with a large soccer following and just like Dallas, the roof makes the heat a non-factor. Some have said Texas shouldn't have two hosts, but the state is huge and needs to be represented by both Dallas and Houston.

Miami, Dolphins/Land Shark Stadium (74,916)- Florida must have a host and without a suitable stadium in Orlando, Miami is an easy choice. I'm not a huge fan of the stadium and question its viability a decade from now so I wouldn't be surprised if there's a new stadium in Miami by then, but the Dolphins aren't going anywhere so there will be a stadium in Miami and it will host matches.

*Charlotte, Bank of America Stadium (73,778)*- A nice stadium that is far more intimate than most its size, but there aren't many open spots in the south so Charlotte gets left out. I really like the city and stadium, plus the Carolinas have always supported soccer well so if any of the three hosts cannot come through, I'd have no qualms with Charlotte being a host.

*Nashville, LP Field (68,798)*- A stadium I've been to an loved that's in a nice city. They turned out well when they hosted a WCQ earlier this year, but unfortunately, there isn't much cache in Nashville and it's not as sexy as the three hosts.

*Atlanta, Georgia Dome (71,228)*- I was never a fan of the Georgia Dome, then I visited it and thought even less of it. It's not a great stadium and Atlanta has shown little support for soccer. Frankly, I wouldn't even have it on a list of maybes if there wasn't the chance of a new stadium by 2018/2022.

Midwest
Chicago, Soldier Field (61,500)- It's disappointing that a city like Chicago has the smallest stadium in the NFL and would have the smallest of any World Cup host, but you're not leaving Chicago out and the stadium has nice sightlines. With all of the uncertainty in the midwest, this is the only lock.

St. Louis, New Stadium, (~65,000)- The midwest has me at a loss. There aren't any cities, outside of Chicago, that MUST host. Because of that, I'll go with a city that has tremendous history, is a major influence on business and is one of the country's biggest hotbeds of soccer. The Edward Jones Dome is iffy now so in a decade, there will either need to be a new stadium or massive renovation. If it happens, I'd love to see St. Louis host.

Detroit, Ford Field (65,000)- This one is tough because if the World Cup were hosted today, Detroit would be deserving of hosting, but the economy may do so much damage to the city that it loses its host by then. For now I'll stick with Detroit as a host, but the future of the city is so much up in the air that we'll have to wait and see. The stadium itself is odd and would make for a different soccer atmosphere, but it's very nice and certainly capable of hosting.

*Kansas City, Arrowhead Stadium (79,451)*- I'd really like to make Kansas City a host and should Detroit fall, Kansas City would be first to step in. The field would have to be widened, but the rest of the stadium should be superb once the ongoing renovations are done. Plus, it's right in the heartland and travel would be more flexible with Kansas City.

*Cleveland, Cleveland Browns Stadium*- I really would like some city in Ohio to host and would have no problem if Cleveland were chosen. The stadium is fantastic and it's location by the lake may give the stadium a breeze and keep it cooler.

*Indianapolis, Lucas Oil Field (70,000)*- The moveable seats make field size no problem and the stadium is a gem. The only concern Indianapolis has is that it's not a huge city or a "sexy" city. Having been there for a Final Four, I can tell you that they do an amazing job hosting big events and the center of Downtown (I can't remember what it's called) would make for a perfect place for fan zones.

West
Los Angeles, New Stadium (75,000)- Oh Los Angeles. As it is my home town, I can reel off failed plan after failed plan to get a stadium built here. For reasons unknown though, I have faith that in the next decade, we will have our stadium. Whether it be the current stadium planned in Industry or another stadium, LA will have a stadium in the next decade and be hosting. They better because there isn't any money for a Coliseum or Rose Bowl renovation unless the bid committee is funding it.

San Francisco, New Stadium (~70,000)- The Bay Area currently only has Stanford Stadium as a suitable stadium to host, but I'd be surprised to see a 50,000 seat place hosting. A new stadium in San Francisco, Oakland, Santa Clara, wherever, would make the Bay Area a lock to host so I'll hold out hope there is one in the next decade.

Seattle, Qwest Field (72,000)- An absolute jewel of a stadium. It's my favorite stadium in the US and the city has supported their new MLS team phenomenally. The last spot came down to Seattle and Phoenix and the difference makers for me were the Sounders' support and representing the pacific northwest, which was ignored in 1994.

*Glendale, University of Phoenix Stadium (72,200)*- Another great stadium that unfortunately gets left out. Should LA or San Francisco remain stadium-less, Glendale/Phoenix could step in easily and do a great job. The roof makes the heat a non-factor and they still have grass.

*San Diego, New Chargers Stadium (70,000)*- It doesn't look like they'll get a new stadium, but San Diego is a very large city with a soccer following so they need to be an option just in case they do get that stadium. An amazing city that would please anyone who visited.

Semifinals
Los Angeles & Washington DC

Finals
New York

Last edited by ryebreadraz; August 23rd, 2009 at 07:51 AM.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old August 23rd, 2009, 05:59 AM   #1542
Benn

Likes (Received): 169

By the time 2022 rolls around given issues of; capacity, enclosure, population base and transit infrastucture I would guess a group similar to the following, with * possibilities, though I feel substantially for less likely because of those various factors:

East

New York/ Meadowlands Stadium 82,500

Boston/ Gillette Stadium 68,756

Washington DC/ New Redskins Stadium +/- 100,000

*Philadelphia/ Lincoln Financial Field 68,532
Great city, great stadium, but proximity to New York and Boston makes it very unlikely.

*Baltimore/ M&T Bank Stadium 71,008
Another great stadium in a great city to host, but too close to DC.

South

Dallas/ Cowboys Stadium +/- 93,000

Houston/ Reliant Stadium 71,500

Miami/ Landshark Stadium 74,916

*Tampa/ Raymond James stadium 75,000
Solid city and venue, but not up with the three noted above.

*Nashville/ LP Field 68,000
Relatively small metro, lack of history, mass transit.

Midwest

Chicago/ Soldier Field 61,500

Denver/ Invesco Field 76,125

Minneapolis/ New Vikings Stadium +/- 72,000

*St Louis Edward Jones Dome 66,965
Great history and good fan base with the sport, the hard dome is a big drawback, though a retrofitted retractable roof would put them on par with Minneapolis, a new facility would probably give them the inside track.

*Indianapolis/ Lucas Oil Stadium 66,000
Great stadium, relatively small metro, undeveloped transit infrastructure.

*Kansas City/ Arrowhead Stadium 79,451
Hunt family and capacity are great, but would need to substantially widen the field, transit infrastructure also an issue.

West Coast

LA/Pasadena renovated Rose Bowl +/-88,000

San Fransisco/ New 49ers Stadium 68,000-72,000

Seattle/ Qwest Field/refit Husky stadium 68,000-75,000, +/- 73,000-92,000

*Glendale/ University of Phoenix Stadium 72,000
Climate, population base and infrastructure aren't quite there with the three above.

*San Diego/ New Chargers Stadium +/- 65,000-72,000
Another Great possibility, especially in terms of weather, but metro is small in the group.
Benn no está en línea  
Old August 23rd, 2009, 07:33 AM   #1543
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobo View Post
My ideal list of stadiums for an American World Cup would be:

Northeast:
New York / New Jersey New: Meadowlands Stadium 82,000 (Opening Match & Semi Final)
Boston: Gillette Stadium 71,693
Washington DC: New RFK stadium 100,000 (Final)

Southeast:
Miami: Land Shark Stadium 75,540
Atlanta: Georgia Dome 71,250

South:
Houston: Reliant Stadium 71,500
Dallas: Cowboys Stadium 100,000

Midwest:
Chicago: Soldier Field 61,000 (3rd Place match)
Denver: Invesco Field 76,125

Pacific Coast:
Los Angeles: Rose Bowl 92,000 (Semi Final)
San Francisco: New 49ers stadium 75,000
Seattle: Husky Qwest Field 67,000

What do you guys think of my list? I have tried to give a good geographic spread in cities that can offer good tourist attractions. I am not sure on Atlanta as I don't think the stadium is that nice, but it's a huge transport hub and can cope with major sporting events. I am also not sure on where the final should be played. I believe it should be in one of 3 cities New York City, Los Angeles or Washington D.C. I chose Washington as it has a bigger capacity, what are your views?
I like this list, but i think LA should get the final (i know it was in LA last time) because LA is the biggest soccer city in America by far. Honestly though, it would be great in any of the three.
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea  
Old August 23rd, 2009, 09:48 AM   #1544
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post

Midwest
St. Louis, New Stadium, (~65,000)- The midwest has me at a loss. There aren't any cities, outside of Chicago, that MUST host. Because of that, I'll go with a city that has tremendous history, is a major influence on business and is one of the country's biggest hotbeds of soccer. The Edward Jones Dome is iffy now so in a decade, there will either need to be a new stadium or massive renovation. If it happens, I'd love to see St. Louis host.

Detroit, Ford Field (65,000)- This one is tough because if the World Cup were hosted today, Detroit would be deserving of hosting, but the economy may do so much damage to the city that it loses its host by then. For now I'll stick with Detroit as a host, but the future of the city is so much up in the air that we'll have to wait and see. The stadium itself is odd and would make for a different soccer atmosphere, but it's very nice and certainly capable of hosting.

*Kansas City, Arrowhead Stadium (79,451)*- I'd really like to make Kansas City a host and should Detroit fall, Kansas City would be first to step in. The field would have to be widened, but the rest of the stadium should be superb once the ongoing renovations are done. Plus, it's right in the heartland and travel would be more flexible with Kansas City.

*Cleveland, Cleveland Browns Stadium*- I really would like some city in Ohio to host and would have no problem if Cleveland were chosen. The stadium is fantastic and it's location by the lake may give the stadium a breeze and keep it cooler.

*Indianapolis, Lucas Oil Field (70,000)*- The moveable seats make field size no problem and the stadium is a gem. The only concern Indianapolis has is that it's not a huge city or a "sexy" city. Having been there for a Final Four, I can tell you that they do an amazing job hosting big events and the center of Downtown (I can't remember what it's called) would make for a perfect place for fan zones.
k
I'd take Denver and Invesco Field over these other midwest options lol

As for St. Louis' new stadium, it's not going to happen anytime soon as Edward Jones Dome is undergoing a 30 million renovation project.
hngcm no está en línea  
Old August 23rd, 2009, 10:19 AM   #1545
ryebreadraz

^ Denver is fantastic, but it's location makes it tough. It's not really close to anything. You could make it a midwest site, but it doesn't really tie in with the midwest and not so much with the west either. I think it's excluded due to unfavorable geography.

As for St. Louis, they are undergoing a $30 million renovation, but it won't make the stadium viable a decade from now. The Rams have an out in their lease coming up and St. Louis will have to either shell out for a new stadium or commit to a bigger renovation. Either would make it a worth WC host.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 06:14 PM   #1546
Bobby3

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
[I]plus the Carolinas have always supported soccer well
This is a big part of why Charlotte is still around, it has no shortage of top class training venues with proper sized fields. NC will have three USL teams playing in soccer stadiums next year, and Wilmington are the main tenants of their stadium. Then Charleston, SC has a soccer stadium too.

Plus the ACC stadiums, plus UNCC and UNCG.
Bobby3 no está en línea  
Old August 24th, 2009, 11:52 PM   #1547
metros11

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
^ Denver is fantastic, but it's location makes it tough. It's not really close to anything.
If Kaiserslautern had games, so should Denver.
metros11 no está en línea  
Old August 25th, 2009, 12:17 AM   #1548
lpioe

Likes (Received): 18

Why is everybody choosing Rose Bowl over Memorial Coliseum?
I like the latter much better.
Was there a specific reason why Rose Bowl hosted in 94?

3ds Max Script to create stadium stands for given c-values

my stadium designs (all WIP / unfinished...)

1 - 2 - 3 - 4

lpioe no está en línea  
Old August 25th, 2009, 01:10 AM   #1549
SIC

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpioe View Post
Field dimensions.
SIC no está en línea  
Old August 25th, 2009, 02:49 AM   #1550
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
Other than field dimensions, the Rose Bowl is one of the most iconic American stadiums.
Old August 25th, 2009, 07:55 AM   #1551
Ganis
BANNED

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
^ Denver is fantastic, but it's location makes it tough. It's not really close to anything.
12 hours from Dallas and Salt Lake City. Centrally located at the foot of the rockies in Colorado. Home to one of the countries busiest airports. I think it would make a good venue,
Ganis no está en línea  
Old August 25th, 2009, 09:57 AM   #1552
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
I think FIFA will choose it over the Coliseum solely based on the fact that it hosted the final in '94.

Personally I like the Coliseum more.
hngcm no está en línea  
Old August 25th, 2009, 10:43 AM   #1553
ryebreadraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hngcm View Post
I think FIFA will choose it over the Coliseum solely based on the fact that it hosted the final in '94.

Personally I like the Coliseum more.
It's really a moot point because there is little to no chance that either stadium will host matches.
Old August 25th, 2009, 11:02 AM   #1554
Lord David

Likes (Received): 104

Indeed. With modern FIFA and all, these stadiums would need the individual seating, sightlines, skyboxes, pressboxes etc, etc, that is needed with modern FIFA stadiums.

If anything, it would probably end up being the Rose Bowl, should a new stadium not be built.
Lord David no está en línea  
Old August 25th, 2009, 11:34 AM   #1555
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 990

Quote:
Originally Posted by hngcm View Post
You're speaking as though the USA has already won the rights to host the WC.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old August 25th, 2009, 06:29 PM   #1556
ryebreadraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord David View Post
Indeed. With modern FIFA and all, these stadiums would need the individual seating, sightlines, skyboxes, pressboxes etc, etc, that is needed with modern FIFA stadiums.

If anything, it would probably end up being the Rose Bowl, should a new stadium not be built.
The problem is that neither Pasadena nor the Coliseum Commission has the money to fund necessary renovations and because no NFL team will move to either stadium, the money isn't on its way either. Unless the bid committee is funding a renovation at either that costs at least $100 million, neither the Coliseum nor the Rose Bowl will be hosting.
Old August 25th, 2009, 06:40 PM   #1557
CaliforniaJones

Likes (Received): 275

I made two lists of cities because I considered the abilities of Denver and Phoenix.

First list
Atlanta (71 250 places): E3-E4, C1-C3, G4-G2, D2-D3
Boston (71 693 places): C3-C4, A4-A2, E1-E3, F2-F3
Chicago (61 000 places): A3-A4, G3-G4, E4-E2, D4-D1
Dallas (100 000 places): D1-D2, B4-B1, F1-F3, E2-E3
Houston (71 500 places): B1-B2, H3-H4, F4-F2, C4-C1
Los Angeles (92 542 places): F1-F2, D4-D2, A4-A1, G4-G1
Miami (74 916 places): C1-C2, G1-G2, B2-B3, H2-H3
New York (82 000 places): A1-A2, C4-C2, B4-B1, H4-H1
Phoenix (71 000 places): B3-B4, H1-H2, A2-A3, G2-G3
San Francisco (75 000 places): F3-F4, D1-D3, H1-H3, E4-E1
Seattle (67 000 places): D3-D4, B1-B3, H4-H2, C2-C3
Washington DC (100 000 places): E1-E2, A1-A3, G1-G3, F4-F1

5 002 139 spectators in World cup
78 158 spectators per match

Second list
Atlanta (71 250 places): A3-A4, G1-G2, C1-C3, D2-D3
Boston (71 693 places): E3-E4, A4-A2, B4-B1, F2-F3
Chicago (61 000 places): C1-C2, E4-E2, B2-B3, H2-H3
Dallas (100 000 places): B1-B2, H3-H4, D4-D2, C4-C1
Denver (76 125 places): B3-B4, D1-D3, H4-H2, E4-E1
Houston (71 500 places): F3-F4, H1-H3, C2-C3, G2-G3
Los Angeles (92 542 places): F1-F2, B1-B3, A4-A1, G4-G1
Miami (74 916 places): C3-C4, G3-G4, E1-E3, D4-D1
New York (82 000 places): A1-A2, C4-C2, G1-G3, H4-H1
San Francisco (75 000 places): D3-D4, H1-H2, F1-F3, A2-A3
Seattle (67 000 places): D1-D2, B4-B2, F4-F2, E2-E3
Washington DC (100 000 places): E1-E2, A1-A3, G4-G2, F4-F1

5 029 472 spectators in World cup
78 586 spectators per match

A1: Usa, host country
F1: imcubent world champion
CaliforniaJones no está en línea  
Old August 25th, 2009, 06:41 PM   #1558
CaliforniaJones

Likes (Received): 275

My favorite list is the second
CaliforniaJones no está en línea  
Old August 25th, 2009, 06:44 PM   #1559
SVN2007
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Mandatory Roof ?

In case FIFA Choose USA as host nation for WC 2018, how about the roof in the US Stadiums ? The most of US Stadium don't have roof today and maybe one of the requirement FIFA would be the building of the roof for all stadiums that will be venue for WC 2018.
SVN2007 no está en línea  
Old August 25th, 2009, 07:03 PM   #1560
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

Gillette Stadium
New Giants/Jets Stadium
Lincoln Financial Field
FedEx Field
Soldier Field
Cowboys Stadium
Reliant Stadium
Invesco Field
Qwest Field
Rose Bowl

All existing or under construction. All current or future MLS markets.
krudmonk no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
los angeles, united states of america, world cup