daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old September 4th, 2009, 06:43 AM   #1601
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

Likes (Received): 5227

Isnt the Staples Center just for 20k?? and the Kodak Center around 8k?? I mean, if we are talking about the finals then the LA Coliseum would be the best option.

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old September 4th, 2009, 07:06 AM   #1602
Bobby3

Likes (Received): 53

They're talking about the draw, not the matches.
Bobby3 no está en línea  
Old September 4th, 2009, 07:07 AM   #1603
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Corey- View Post
Isnt the Staples Center just for 20k?? and the Kodak Center around 8k?? I mean, if we are talking about the finals then the LA Coliseum would be the best option.
We're talking about the World Cup draw, not matches so we don't need a stadium. The 2010 World Cup draw will be in a convention center and if my memory is correct, the 2006 draw was in an airport hanger so Staples Center, the convention center or the ballroom at the Ritz would all be possibilities, although I'm not sure if the ballroom is properly equipped for such an event.

I still think Vegas would be perfect for it though. It has no problem with the hotel rooms needed, would be a cool place with all the lights and happenings, has the facilities necessary and would give a city that won't host matches the chance to be a part of the World Cup.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old September 4th, 2009, 07:43 AM   #1604
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9950

The draw before France '98 took place in the Stade Vélodrome in Marseille, with also an exhibition game: Europe vs The Rest of The World...... (it was funny)
parcdesprinces no está en línea  
Old September 4th, 2009, 08:20 AM   #1605
ryebreadraz

A stadium can certainly be used, but it's not necessary at all. Whether it's Vegas or anywhere else, in a stadium, arena, convention center or wherever, it would be cool if it weren't in a city hosting matches.
Old October 19th, 2009, 05:29 AM   #1606
CaliforniaJones

Likes (Received): 275

I am surprised about Atlanta's support in a petition for US bids for 2018/2022 world cup.
Seattle doesn't surprise me because since they are in MLS, the Seattle Sounders have made soccer's popularity up in Seattle.

http://chicagoist.com/2009/10/17/sup..._for_world.php

I am not personnaly a supporter of Chicage. I are supposed to be selected for the bid.

Draw for qualifications: New York city

Final draw: LA Live, Soldier Field, Las Vegas or Atlantic city

Last edited by CaliforniaJones; October 19th, 2009 at 05:33 AM. Reason: More news
CaliforniaJones no está en línea  
Old October 19th, 2009, 07:35 AM   #1607
Bobby3

Likes (Received): 53

Atlanta and Charlotte have organized campaigns for voting. They really, really want to host.
Bobby3 no está en línea  
Old October 19th, 2009, 08:20 AM   #1608
ryebreadraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby3 View Post
Atlanta and Charlotte have organized campaigns for voting. They really, really want to host.
I don't think either will host. I think pods are necessary for a US hosted WC and that will keep Atlanta and Charlotte from hosting. There will be three sites in the northeast. There will also be three out west. Now, there is one way Atlanta and Charlotte get in and that is if the north is ignored. If the north is ignored then Dallas, Houston and Chicago can form one pod, letting Miami be put in a pod with two other southern cities (Atlanta, Charlotte, Tampa, Nashville). Most likely though, I think the north isn't ignored and two from the region are paired with Chicago, putting Dallas, Houston and Miami in their own pod and leaving Atlanta/Charlotte out.
Old October 19th, 2009, 09:45 AM   #1609
Lord David

Likes (Received): 104

Expect the draw to be in a city possibly not hosting, but is in the shortlist. A large city, full of history and culture. A multicultural population might help too. At any rate, basically any of those cities shortlisted could host using their main indoor arena, theater (if sufficient capacity), or convention center.
Lord David no está en línea  
Old October 19th, 2009, 10:14 AM   #1610
ryebreadraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord David View Post
Expect the draw to be in a city possibly not hosting, but is in the shortlist. A large city, full of history and culture. A multicultural population might help too. At any rate, basically any of those cities shortlisted could host using their main indoor arena, theater (if sufficient capacity), or convention center.
I would say this is a good guideline, but Las Vegas is the exception. I guess you could make the argument that it fits some of these qualifications, but regardless, Vegas is the exception to all rules. I can't think of a better city to host the draw.
Old October 19th, 2009, 10:36 AM   #1611

Likes (Received): 1439

It's kind of funny that other WC-bidders have to build a bunch of new stadiums to host while the US can choose freely among it's own.

"Gee, should I take this 80K stadium, or this 90K stadium?"
1772 no está en línea  
Old October 19th, 2009, 10:41 AM   #1612
Lord David

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1772 View Post
It's kind of funny that other WC-bidders have to build a bunch of new stadiums to host while the US can choose freely among it's own.

It's not funny, we're disadvantaged because we don't have a major sporting league like the NFL nor the population that would warrant the building of so many 60,000+ stadiums.

You guys simply have it easy because the NFL actively went and built new stadiums for it's teams during the 90's and 00's. That's a major boost to your bid and should be taken into consideration in comparison to other bidding nations that don't necessarily have such an advantage.
Lord David no está en línea  
Old October 19th, 2009, 12:13 PM   #1613
TallPaul_H

Likes (Received): 0

What your forgetting Lord David is the fact Japan and South Korea made nearly all of their stadiums after being given the World Cup. I'm sure I read that 19 of the 20 stadiums were built especially for the World Cup, the only stadium already existing was the Yokohama which hosted the final
TallPaul_H no está en línea  
Old October 19th, 2009, 03:38 PM   #1614

Likes (Received): 1439

Quote:
It's not funny, we're disadvantaged because we don't have a major sporting league like the NFL nor the population that would warrant the building of so many 60,000+ stadiums.

You guys simply have it easy because the NFL actively went and built new stadiums for it's teams during the 90's and 00's. That's a major boost to your bid and should be taken into consideration in comparison to other bidding nations that don't necessarily have such an advantage.
To quote the great doll movie;

America, F*CK YEAH!

1772 no está en línea  
Old October 19th, 2009, 03:43 PM   #1615
SilentStrike

Likes (Received): 192

plz no... no fifa in usa.

Anyways it seems like Russia is going to win the 2018 bid.
SilentStrike no está en línea  
Old October 19th, 2009, 05:44 PM   #1616
antriksh_sfo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallPaul_H View Post
What your forgetting Lord David is the fact Japan and South Korea made nearly all of their stadiums after being given the World Cup. I'm sure I read that 19 of the 20 stadiums were built especially for the World Cup, the only stadium already existing was the Yokohama which hosted the final
I suppose Osaka was already existing. Minors changes were made for the WC I believe.
antriksh_sfo no está en línea  
Old October 19th, 2009, 08:02 PM   #1617
massp88

Likes (Received): 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1772 View Post

This is what happens when you have the NFL and their big stadiums. It really is a big benefit to the USA bid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentStrike View Post
plz no... no fifa in usa.

Anyways it seems like Russia is going to win the 2018 bid.
I think England is the front runner for the 2018 bid. I think if they get it, it would be an amazing World Cup. Similar to Germany in 2006.

Quote:

Australia SHOULD be awarded the world cup in either 2022 or 2026. I am an American and I rooted for Rio to host over Chicago and I would root for Australia in 2026.
massp88 no está en línea  
Old October 19th, 2009, 10:04 PM   #1618
SSE

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by massp88 View Post
This is what happens when you have the NFL and their big stadiums. It really is a big benefit to the USA bid.
It makes it easier for the bid, but it doesn't necessarily make it more favourable with FIFA. For starters I don't think the size of the stadiums is that important, if FIFA wanted every stadium to be 80,000 then it would, but they don't. They aren't going to make the much extra money by having an extra 25,000-30,000 people in the stadiums. They've set the specifications for what they want, so any country that meets them will have to be considered. It's not just a case of 'who has biggest stadiums?'

It could also be a slight disadvantage, as FIFA are very big on these competitions leaving a legacy behind for football in that country. It's why they favour purpose built football stadiums over athletics stadiums for example. Clearly after the World Cup MLS teams aren't going to be playing in these stadiums, and they aren't all going to be building 45,000 seater stadiums for the bid. So if the bid is centred around stadiums that are primarily going to be used for another sport that could maybe work against the US.

For what it's worth I think the USA would be a brilliant host (although I obviously hope England wins 2018) but it's far from being a done deal.
SSE no está en línea  
Old October 19th, 2009, 10:58 PM   #1619
JYDA

Likes (Received): 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE View Post
It could also be a slight disadvantage, as FIFA are very big on these competitions leaving a legacy behind for football in that country. It's why they favour purpose built football stadiums over athletics stadiums for example. Clearly after the World Cup MLS teams aren't going to be playing in these stadiums, and they aren't all going to be building 45,000 seater stadiums for the bid. So if the bid is centred around stadiums that are primarily going to be used for another sport that could maybe work against the US.
This is part of the reason I think Russia has a good shot in 2018. Of the European bids they would benefit the most from a stadium infrastructure legacy.
JYDA no está en línea  
Old October 20th, 2009, 12:39 AM   #1620
ryebreadraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE View Post
It makes it easier for the bid, but it doesn't necessarily make it more favourable with FIFA. For starters I don't think the size of the stadiums is that important, if FIFA wanted every stadium to be 80,000 then it would, but they don't. They aren't going to make the much extra money by having an extra 25,000-30,000 people in the stadiums. They've set the specifications for what they want, so any country that meets them will have to be considered. It's not just a case of 'who has biggest stadiums?'

For what it's worth I think the USA would be a brilliant host (although I obviously hope England wins 2018) but it's far from being a done deal.
An extra 18,000 seats for a final by 2018/2022 could generate another $14.4 million in ticket revenue. That's one match. Consider the tens and tens and tens of thousands of fans a US hosted World Cup would have more than another country and you're talking about over $100 million in ticket sales by hosting a WC here. Now, that's not going to compare with the TV money, but it's not something to be ignored.

You must also consider the legacy a WC here could leave, non-stadium related. The growth in the sport here since 1994 has been amazing, but there is a long way to go and many believe another World Cup here would push it much, much further along. That's a legacy that cannot be ignored, even if it's not a material legacy like stadiums.

When you factor in the corporate and sponsors money in this country, as well as how FIFA could capitalize upon those corporations in the future should soccer explode here.

I agree that the World Cup coming here in 2018/2022 is far from a done deal. I think the US has to be the favorite for 2022 at the moment, but December 2010 is a long ways off.

Closed Thread

Tags
los angeles, united states of america, world cup