daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old November 3rd, 2009, 02:31 PM   #1661

Likes (Received): 1439

Of course Detroit should stage group games. Ford Field is a nice stadium, idealy located in down town (as all stadiums should be) and it's a region desperate for money and attention.
1772 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old November 3rd, 2009, 03:50 PM   #1662
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

I want to support Detroit hosting some of the games but I just can't help thinking that it is better to host games in open air stadiums. I don't think it should be a deal breaker but if their are cities/stadiums which also are very suitable I prefer those. Unfortunately this leaves worthy cities like Atlanta, St. Louis, and Detroit left out.
Old November 3rd, 2009, 05:44 PM   #1663

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
I want to support Detroit hosting some of the games but I just can't help thinking that it is better to host games in open air stadiums. I don't think it should be a deal breaker but if their are cities/stadiums which also are very suitable I prefer those. Unfortunately this leaves worthy cities like Atlanta, St. Louis, and Detroit left out.
Good point though.
Still, it would be lousy not to try to help them.

Then again, they might be back on their feet by then.
1772 no está en línea  
Old November 3rd, 2009, 08:13 PM   #1664
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

I don't think FIFA is the most charitable organization.
krudmonk no está en línea  
Old November 4th, 2009, 11:32 AM   #1665

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
I don't think FIFA is the most charitable organization.
Then why did they give it to South Africa; a country clearly not ready for it?

Then again it dosen't matter. It's the US bid that desides which cities whould hold it, not FIFA.
1772 no está en línea  
Old November 4th, 2009, 07:45 PM   #1666
massp88

Likes (Received): 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1772 View Post

Then again it dosen't matter. It's the US bid that desides which cities whould hold it, not FIFA.
South Africa will be ready and the World Cup needs to be spread around to every continent, that is why FIFA chose them. South Africa is easily one of the most developed countries in the continent.

Actually, FIFA would have a very large say in which US cities were to host and which were not.
massp88 no está en línea  
Old November 4th, 2009, 08:22 PM   #1667
bigbossman

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
To keep the masses happy... you need to pander to africa and asia to win votes to be FIFA president. Blatter made it his business to take the world cup to Africa and that block vote helps him stay in power

Quote:
as massp88 said it's FIFA who decides
bigbossman no está en línea  
Old November 5th, 2009, 09:50 AM   #1668
CaliforniaJones

Likes (Received): 255

In my recent list, I considered cities which has a MLS team and those which have big soccer experience and success, strong public and solid soccer ambiance.
Cities like Kansas city, Denver or Seattle deserve to host WC games.

Look at this for Seattle
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...numbers05.html

Miami is the only city which has no MLS team in my list. San Jose could be considered as included in San Francisco area.
I don't want to exclude Detroit. I did my selection.
Old November 5th, 2009, 01:41 PM   #1669

Quote:
Originally Posted by massp88 View Post
South Africa will be ready and the World Cup needs to be spread around to every continent, that is why FIFA chose them. South Africa is easily one of the most developed countries in the continent.

Actually, FIFA would have a very large say in which US cities were to host and which were not.
Well, we'll see about that.
I dont see why it "needs" to do anything? We've had the WC around since 1930 and we've been doing just fine without an african host?

Perhaps they do. But if they alow it in such hell-holes as Johannesburg, Detroit shouldn't have a problem (especially since it's near Canada, and opens up for even moore football tourists).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
To keep the masses happy... you need to pander to africa and asia to win votes to be FIFA president. Blatter made it his business to take the world cup to Africa and that block vote helps him stay in power

as massp88 said it's FIFA who decides
I suppose your right. Sad really.
1772 no está en línea  
Old November 5th, 2009, 06:17 PM   #1670
herb21

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
I dont see why it "needs" to do anything? We've had the WC around since 1930 and we've been doing just fine without an african host?

Perhaps they do. But if they alow it in such hell-holes as Johannesburg, Detroit shouldn't have a problem (especially since it's near Canada, and opens up for even moore football tourists).

Ever been to Joburg?
Old November 5th, 2009, 06:37 PM   #1671
lpioe

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaJones View Post
"35,807 Attendance for first leg of playoff series against Houston"

Did they open the upper tier? Or just the hawks nest?

3ds Max Script to create stadium stands for given c-values

my stadium designs (all WIP / unfinished...)

1 - 2 - 3 - 4

lpioe no está en línea  
Old November 5th, 2009, 06:45 PM   #1672
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpioe View Post
"35,807 Attendance for first leg of playoff series against Houston"

Did they open the upper tier? Or just the hawks nest?
The first few rows of the upper tier, only below the walkway. I believe they call it the loge level. They can't open the hawk's nest or further upper deck because there is XBOX advertising on the tarps that cover them and they are contractually obligated to have that advertising there for league matches. That advertising deal does not extend to the MLS Cup though so if they choose to, they can open up the entire stadium for that.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old November 5th, 2009, 07:00 PM   #1673
krudmonk
sucks

Quote:
Joburg has twice as many people and is sunny. That is, the field is open to the sun.
Old November 5th, 2009, 07:15 PM   #1674
lpioe

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
The first few rows of the upper tier, only below the walkway. I believe they call it the loge level. They can't open the hawk's nest or further upper deck because there is XBOX advertising on the tarps that cover them and they are contractually obligated to have that advertising there for league matches. That advertising deal does not extend to the MLS Cup though so if they choose to, they can open up the entire stadium for that.
Thanks for the anwser.
I hope the Sounders can reach the final then (what is the score in the semis so far?). Do you think a sellout with the entire stadium open would be realistic then?

3ds Max Script to create stadium stands for given c-values

my stadium designs (all WIP / unfinished...)

1 - 2 - 3 - 4

lpioe no está en línea  
Old November 5th, 2009, 07:33 PM   #1675
krudmonk
sucks

Quote:
Thanks for the anwser.
I hope the Sounders can reach the final then (what is the score in the semis so far?). Do you think a sellout with the entire stadium open would be realistic then?
Even the Revs got 61K for their home final in 2002. It's definitely possible.
Old November 5th, 2009, 08:01 PM   #1676
massp88

Likes (Received): 215

Quote:

Soccer is the worlds most popular sport and FIFA considers it a global game. Staging the biggest event on every continent makes sense, and is of high priority for FIFA. That same mindset is why I would like to see Autralia awarded the cup in 2026.

Look at the Olympics, South America has never hosted a games and now they are thanks to Rio, more deserving than Chicago, Tokyo and Madrid in my mind, who will host in 2016.

I have never been to Joburg, but I have been to Detroit many times. With all due respect, the city is not that exciting and can be pretty depressing, much like most of Michigan.
massp88 no está en línea  
Old November 5th, 2009, 09:51 PM   #1677
herb21

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
I have never been to Joburg, but I have been to Detroit many times. With all due respect, the city is not that exciting and can be pretty depressing, much like most of Michigan.
One thing joburg isnt really is depressing (ok us cape townians might rip it in that regard) but it is really a very vibrant place and a melting pot of cultures. It also happens to be the economic powehouse of africa
Old November 5th, 2009, 10:37 PM   #1678
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Thanks for the anwser.
They have already said that if the Sounders make the final, they will open up the whole place.

Right now, they're in the Western Conference semifinals and tied the first leg at home. There is no away goals rule so they will have to win this weekend in Houston or get a draw and win in extra time/penalties. If they do that, they'll have the Western Conference Final next week for a spot in the MLS Cup.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old November 6th, 2009, 03:25 AM   #1679
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9701

Quote:
S
South America has never hosted a games and now they are thanks to Rio
Yes, but Latin America already did, unlike AFRICA !!!
Anyway, according the Olympic Rings there are 5 continent..and one and only one of them has never hosted the Games !!!!!!!!
Although I'm really, really happy for the Cariocas because such a wonderfull city (which I love) really deserves to host the world sport's family !

sorry of the off-topic.
parcdesprinces no está en línea  
Old November 6th, 2009, 03:37 AM   #1680
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Quote:
Originally Posted by herb21 View Post
One thing joburg isnt really is depressing (ok us cape townians might rip it in that regard) but it is really a very vibrant place and a melting pot of cultures. It also happens to be the economic powehouse of africa
I've been to both and think they are pretty similar. Both are OK during the day but both have rather limited areas that as a tourist one would want to wander at night.

I have friends from JoBurg who rightly or wrongly never venture into Joburg at night which is a similar case for some Detroiters.

Closed Thread

Tags
los angeles, united states of america, world cup