daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old November 6th, 2009, 11:31 AM   #1681

Likes (Received): 1439

Quote:
Originally Posted by herb21 View Post
Ever been to Joburg?
No. I've never been to Mogadishu or Kabul and I still consider them being a-hole citites.

Let me guess; you're gonna tell me I'm prejudice?
1772 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old November 6th, 2009, 11:33 AM   #1682

Quote:
Originally Posted by massp88 View Post
Soccer is the worlds most popular sport and FIFA considers it a global game. Staging the biggest event on every continent makes sense, and is of high priority for FIFA. That same mindset is why I would like to see Autralia awarded the cup in 2026.

Look at the Olympics, South America has never hosted a games and now they are thanks to Rio, more deserving than Chicago, Tokyo and Madrid in my mind, who will host in 2016.

I have never been to Joburg, but I have been to Detroit many times. With all due respect, the city is not that exciting and can be pretty depressing, much like most of Michigan.
Of course, but it should not be on the expence of security and certainty that the country is up to the challenge.

Australia wouldn't have a problem with having an WC. Just as Japan didn't. South Africa will.
1772 no está en línea  
Old November 6th, 2009, 04:10 PM   #1683
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1772 View Post
Let me guess; you're gonna tell me I'm prejudice?
Only if he doesn't know how to use a noun or adjective...
krudmonk no está en línea  
Old November 11th, 2009, 05:42 AM   #1684
CaliforniaJones

Likes (Received): 255

The 27 remaining cities will make presentations to be selectedas bid cities for 2018/2022 us world cup bid.
The final choice will be done shrtly, at the end of 2009.

http://baltimore.bizjournals.com/bal...9/daily21.html

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...+World+Cup+bid

http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattlespo...rom=blog_last3

http://cityhallblog.dallasnews.com/a...ts-your-h.html

http://tampabay.bizjournals.com/tamp...9/daily21.html

Seattle seems to be one of strongest cities to host a WC. Furthermore, this city will host the 2009 MLS final.
Old November 11th, 2009, 08:46 AM   #1685
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaJones View Post
The 27 remaining cities will make presentations to be selectedas bid cities for 2018/2022 us world cup bid.
The final choice will be done shrtly, at the end of 2009.
Not quite the final choice. The list will just be cut down to 18 by the end of the year and that's the 18 that will be presented to FIFA. If the US is chosen, they will cut that list down to 12 about 5 years before the US hosted WC so it's the final pre-presentation cut, not the final cut.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old November 11th, 2009, 10:33 PM   #1686
mattec

Likes (Received): 112

Quote:
Seattle seems to be one of strongest cities to host a WC. Furthermore, this city will host the 2009 MLS final.
It would have been nice if seattle could have gotten past houston, but alas..., it should still be a good show
mattec no está en línea  
Old November 14th, 2009, 01:06 PM   #1687
Kwazimoto
No one knows for sure.

Likes (Received): 7

There guy who described Johannesburg as a hell hole, is an idiot!. . . .I hope The U.S.A wins hosting rights!
Old November 14th, 2009, 01:19 PM   #1688
herb21

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Only if he doesn't know how to use a noun or adjective...
Even then I wouldnt he already proved my point.
Old November 16th, 2009, 01:41 PM   #1689

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwazimoto View Post
There guy who described Johannesburg as a hell hole, is an idiot!. . . .I hope The U.S.A wins hosting rights!
Am I an idiot because I have a different opinion than you?
1772 no está en línea  
Old November 17th, 2009, 02:56 AM   #1690
CaliforniaJones

FIFA asks bid countries to present between 12 and 18 stadiums. In the US case there is 32 stadiums in 27 cities. 14 stadiums habe to be eliminated from candidate's list to FIFA.
US bid board present 18 stadiums in 18 cities. So LA, Seattle, Dallas, Washington DC and Detroit will eliminate the second stadium. Five stadiums out, it remains nine which will not to be selected. San Diego could be eliminated because of weak support from the public (see petitions signatures), as for Oakland situated in SF area and Baltimore close to Washington DC. Two cities of Florida could be out of stadiums bid. Four more cities will be ejected.
On december we will know the cities which will represented the US bid for 2018/2022 world cup.

Last edited by CaliforniaJones; November 17th, 2009 at 03:02 AM.
CaliforniaJones no está en línea  
Old November 17th, 2009, 05:01 AM   #1691
rafamlopes
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8

94..too recent
USA has unique stadiums, with some weird shape and no roof
I don´t find them interesting..they could be more creative
rafamlopes no está en línea  
Old November 17th, 2009, 09:31 AM   #1692
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
FIFA asks bid countries to present between 12 and 18 stadiums. In the US case there is 32 stadiums in 27 cities. 14 stadiums habe to be eliminated from candidate's list to FIFA.
US bid board present 18 stadiums in 18 cities. So LA, Seattle, Dallas, Washington DC and Detroit will eliminate the second stadium. Five stadiums out, it remains nine which will not to be selected. San Diego could be eliminated because of weak support from the public (see petitions signatures), as for Oakland situated in SF area and Baltimore close to Washington DC. Two cities of Florida could be out of stadiums bid. Four more cities will be ejected.
On december we will know the cities which will represented the US bid for 2018/2022 world cup.
San Diego is making some progress on getting a stadium built downtown.

It seems they're pretty serious about building the new Chargers stadium next to Petco Park.
hngcm no está en línea  
Old November 17th, 2009, 02:16 PM   #1693
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Quote:
Originally Posted by hngcm View Post
San Diego is making some progress on getting a stadium built downtown.

It seems they're pretty serious about building the new Chargers stadium next to Petco Park.
Are there are any recent articles on it? I would like to read them.
Old November 17th, 2009, 09:59 PM   #1694
hngcm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Are there are any recent articles on it? I would like to read them.
http://www.voiceofsandiego.org/artic...rsup111309.txt

Quote:
Voice of San Diego.

Chargers Near to Releasing Downtown Stadium Drawings

To prepare for my interview on the Chargers stadium search today on KPBS' "San Diego Week," I called team special counsel and stadium point man Mark Fabiani. He ran down what's been a busy couple of weeks for the team and downtown San Diego site. The site is about 15 acres, located east of Petco Park and is the current home to the Wonder Bread building.

Here's what he had to say:

Fabiani met this week with Mayor's Office policy man Phil Rath and downtown redevelopment agency head Fred Maas. Maas, the chairman of the city-run Centre City Development Corp., is the team's main contact with the city, Fabiani said.
"It was important to us because Fred has pulled off big projects like this," Fabiani said.

Maas' participation also is significant because his agency could be involved in the stadium's financing through redevelopment tax revenue.

Fabiani pegged the cost of the project as $750 million to $1 billion. He has long touted that a site downtown saves money because transportation infrastructure, such as roads and parking, are already in place.

The team is having its environmental consultants examine the site. There's likely to be some level of contamination because of the San Diego Transit Corp.'s bus yard included in the site. The team isn't concerned about a geological fault line that runs through the western portion of Tailgate Park, also included in the site plans.

Fabiani also met this week with the team's Kansas City-based stadium architects, Populous (formerly HOK). The plans are for 64,000 seats. Preliminary designs put all the luxury boxes on one side of the stadium. Shops, bars and restaurants will be on the first floor. Unlike other football stadiums, this one would be right along the city street.

"We're not that far away from releasing drawings," Fabiani said.

The team hopes to complete a preliminary financial analysis in two months, Fabiani said. For context's sake, that's around the time, L.A. developer Ed Roski plans to shop financial plans to the Chargers and other team for his stadium project in the city of Industry.
hngcm no está en línea  
Old November 18th, 2009, 01:59 AM   #1695
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

thanks hngcm, hope it gets done for the people in SD. 64k isn't a lot, I hope they make it expandable so San Diego can get back to regular hosting Super Bowls.
Old November 18th, 2009, 05:05 AM   #1696
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
thanks hngcm, hope it gets done for the people in SD. 64k isn't a lot, I hope they make it expandable so San Diego can get back to regular hosting Super Bowls.
64,000 is on the small side, but I think it's right around the right size for San Diego. I guarantee you the stadium is expandable to the 70,000 they need to host a Super Bowl though. It was incomprehensibly stupid if they didn't and I think they would really struggle to convince the city to help in any way if the city won't benefit from hosting the SB.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old November 18th, 2009, 05:09 AM   #1697
Chimbanha

Likes (Received): 1965

The U.S. should be very thankful that the extra-UEFA competition is so weak this time so that they might actually have a shot. It's a very competitive race for 2018, with four very strong european bids. However, when it comes to 2022, it's pretty much between the U.S. and Australia. Had China actually bid, the U.S. would have no chance.

Look, Spain 2018/2002 would already be considered too soon (after 1982), and that's why they decided to pair with Portugal in order to bid. Then what to say about U.S. 1994? It's just too greedy for a country with no football tradition.
Chimbanha no está en línea  
Old November 18th, 2009, 05:37 AM   #1698
CaliforniaJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimbanha View Post
The U.S. should be very thankful that the extra-UEFA competition is so weak this time so that they might actually have a shot. It's a very competitive race for 2018, with four very strong european bids. However, when it comes to 2022, it's pretty much between the U.S. and Australia. Had China actually bid, the U.S. would have no chance.

Look, Spain 2018/2002 would already be considered too soon (after 1982), and that's why they decided to pair with Portugal in order to bid. Then what to say about U.S. 1994? It's just too greedy for a country with no football tradition.
UEFA race for 2018 WC seems to be very competitive. For 2022, it could be US vs Australia. Firts round voting could see a division for asian votes, US could have no problem to get votes from CONCACAF and CONMEBOL voters. It could have to seek supports from CAF AND UEFA members.

Look at this chronology:

1994: CONCACAF
1998: UEFA
2002: AFC
2006: UEFA
2010: CAF (Africa)
2014: CONMEBOL
2018: UEFA

CONCACAF should organize 2022 WC. If Australia had not leave OFC to go to AFC, it could be difficult race for the US. It could be also an opportunity for FIFA to open a newfrontier.
Old November 18th, 2009, 05:58 AM   #1699
Chimbanha

Likes (Received): 1965

Quote:
UEFA race for 2018 WC seems to be very competitive. For 2022, it could be US vs Australia. Firts round voting could see a division for asian votes, US could have no problem to get votes from CONCACAF and CONMEBOL voters. It could have to seek supports from CAF AND UEFA members.

Look at this chronology:

1994: CONCACAF
1998: UEFA
2002: AFC
2006: UEFA
2010: CAF (Africa)
2014: CONMEBOL
2018: UEFA

CONCACAF should organize 2022 WC. If Australia had not leave OFC to go to AFC, it could be difficult race for the US. It could be also an opportunity for FIFA to open a newfrontier.
The official continental rotation was over the moment Africa and South America got their hosting rights - it existed to help those countries that seemingly would not be able to win a real election against more powerful countries, as attested by the 2006 host election. Of course there will still be the rule that if a confederation gets a WC, other affiliates won't be able to bid for the next 2, but this one exists to keep the tournament out of Europe 2 out of 3 times.

You can't use your chronology as an argument because it's too simplistic. It doesn't take into account the fact that CONCACAF has 3 countries that could host the WC while UEFA has a dozen, for example. The "never hosted" card is very relevant, but U.S. already played that in 1994, and it can't be played ever again.

What I mean is, (i) the continental rotation would never be used in favour of the most powerful and rich country of the earth - its role is to give the WC to the poor ones and (ii) if the philosophy is to spread the wealth, why would the WC be given to a country that has hosted it less than 30 years before? Especially one with no football tradition.

Like I said, it doesn't mean U.S. has no chance. On the contrary, it's got a hell of a chance because almost all of their competitors are European, and these competitors won't be able to fight for 2022 once one of the European bids get 2018. But you guys need Australia to slip in order to get it.

Last edited by Chimbanha; November 18th, 2009 at 06:08 AM.
Chimbanha no está en línea  
Old November 18th, 2009, 06:06 AM   #1700
hngcm

Quote:
And here's another article that was in today's paper:

Quote:
San Diego sets a big goal: World Cup
BY HELEN GAO
TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 17, 2009 AT MIDNIGHT

SAN DIEGO — San Diego has played host to a number of marquee sporting events over the years, including the Super Bowl, the America’s Cup, the X Games, the World Baseball Classic and the U.S. Open.

Now the city wants to add one more bragging right by hosting World Cup soccer matches in 2018 or 2022.

Mayor Jerry Sanders announced the city’s bid yesterday, and the City Council is scheduled to consider it today.

San Diego is one of 27 cities that have passed initial screening by the U.S. Bid Committee, a consortium trying to bring the event to the United States. Games would be played in 12 to 14 cities in the host nation.

The World Cup is one of the world’s largest and most prestigious sporting events. By one estimate, if San Diego succeeds in its bid, it could reap $350 million to $500 million in tourism revenue.

“The economic impact that the World Cup games generate cannot be overstated,” Sanders said.

Hotel industry leaders have pledged to work with the city to raise money privately to offset host-city costs, estimated to be $12 million to $15 million.

News of the city’s bid excited Tom Nickel, owner of O’Brien’s pub in Kearny Mesa, a hangout for soccer fans. He said San Diego is a good candidate because of its proximity to soccer-mad Mexico.

“You think about the number of people we can draw across the border,” he said. “I think it makes for a very multicultural experience in terms of the uniqueness of us being a border town for an event that is so revered worldwide.”

In December, the U.S. Bid Committee will winnow the list to 18 cities and then make a bid later on behalf of the United States to the Federal Internationale de Football Association to be a host nation. Other nations vying to be hosts include Australia, Russia and England.

FIFA, soccer’s world governing body in Switzerland, will choose the host nations for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups in December 2010.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...oal-world-cup/
hngcm no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
los angeles, united states of america, world cup