daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools
Old November 18th, 2009, 10:17 PM   #1721
Chimbanha
Registered User
 
Chimbanha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Brasília
Posts: 1,667
Likes (Received): 1965

Quote:
(Wednesday, November 2, 2005) -- Calling it "the biggest TV deal in a single country in FIFA's history," world governing body FIFA announced a $425 million deal for World Cup television rights in the United States from 2007 to 2014.

Under the agreement, the 2010 and 2014 World Cups, the 2007 and 2011 Women's World Cups, and the 2009 and 2013 Confederations Cups will be broadcast in English in the U.S. by the Walt Disney Company-owned ABC and ESPN networks, and in Spanish by Univision.

In a joint bid, ABC\ESPN paid $100 million for the rights package for the broadcast rights in English, while Univision paid $325 million for the Spanish-language rights.

According to the FIFA press release, "the two networks (ABC\ESPN and Univision) have been awarded the TV rights to all FIFA events for the U.S. territory from 2007 to 2014, including the two FIFA World Cup final competitions within this period. This impressive new agreement covers a wide range of media categories, including multimedia broadband internet and mobile telephony."
http://www.soccertimes.com/worldcup/2005/nov02.htm

Isn't it weird that the rights to the Spanish transmission were much more expensive than those to the English transmission? Is football popular there only within the Hispanics?
Chimbanha no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old November 18th, 2009, 10:19 PM   #1722
-Corey-
Je suis tout ŕ vous
 
-Corey-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 16,222
Likes (Received): 5224

I guess, i guess then i was right about Univision, they paid more than any other nation. I dont know why is more expensive here. I think is because Univision is going to broadcast more soccer matches? I dont know, that could be a possibility.
__________________

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea  
Old November 18th, 2009, 10:27 PM   #1723
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas
 
parcdesprinces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Auteuil, Paris XVI | Quercy | Monaco, MC
Posts: 16,713
Likes (Received): 9711

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimbanha View Post
Univision paid US$325 million for both the 2010 and the 2014 World Cups.
TF1 (which is the largest/wealthiest French - & also European - TV channel/Network) has paid €125m (US$187m) ONLY for WC 2010 and, of course, ONLY for a French broadcasting !!!

So imho European TV networks (put together), spend much, much, much more money than north American ones (which makes sense, since it's about our sport number one) !!!!

PS: about TF1, they have more than a lot to lose tonight (€€€€€€€€€€€€€€ )..... If France lose its game against Eire/Ireland !
parcdesprinces no está en línea  
Old November 18th, 2009, 10:30 PM   #1724
Chimbanha
Registered User
 
Chimbanha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Brasília
Posts: 1,667
Likes (Received): 1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Corey- View Post
I guess, i guess then i was right about Univision, they paid more than any other nation. I dont know why is more expensive here. I think is because Univision is going to broadcast more soccer matches? I dont know, that could be a possibility.
No, because the ad prices in the U.S. are the highest in the world. But it still lags behind immensely if compared, for example, to the amount paid to the 2010-2012 Olympic Games by NBC: $2 billion. And the IOC still snubbed Chicago.
Chimbanha no está en línea  
Old November 18th, 2009, 10:31 PM   #1725
Chimbanha
Registered User
 
Chimbanha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Brasília
Posts: 1,667
Likes (Received): 1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcdesprinces View Post
TF1 (which is the largest/wealthiest French - & also European - TV channel/Network) has paid €125m (US$187m) ONLY for WC 2010 and, of course, ONLY for a French broadcasting !!!

So imho European TV networks (put together), spend much, much, much more money than north American ones (which makes sense, since it's about our sport number one) !!!!

PS: about TF1, they have more than a lot to lose tonight (€€€€€€€€€€€€€€ )..... If France lose its game against Eire/Ireland !
I'm biting my nails! I don't want you French to mess up our WC for the 4th time!!! Go Ireland!!!
EDIT: I said it, they scored!!!!!!! I'm so happy!!! Ireland 1 x 0 France
Chimbanha no está en línea  
Old November 19th, 2009, 12:20 AM   #1726
ryebreadraz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,597
Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimbanha View Post
If that played such a huge role, the 2010 and 2014 World Cups wouldn't happen in South Africa and Brazil. That is exactly the same argument some guys in this forum said the IOC just couldn't reject Chicago for the 2016 games.

If the IOC rejected Chicago when the U.S. pays the highest tv rights in the world and has most corporate sponsors, FIFA would have absolutely no trouble to reject them with a much more considerable European sponsorship and much lower TV rights paid by the U.S. TV.
The comparison between the Olympics and World Cup are off base. There were other political issues involved with the Chicago bid and the feud between the IOC and USOC that impact the IOC's long-term earning potential. There isn't anything along those lines in this World Cup bidding.

As for South Africa and Brazil earning the right to host, a big part of that was Sepp Blatter's promise to spread the World Cup to smaller countries, a platform which played a huge part in him becoming FIFA President. Money is intertwined with politics as much and probably more so than altruistic motives for the best of the sport. I'm not advocating it, just stating the reality.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old November 19th, 2009, 12:32 AM   #1727
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas
 
parcdesprinces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Auteuil, Paris XVI | Quercy | Monaco, MC
Posts: 16,713
Likes (Received): 9711

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimbanha View Post
I'm biting my nails! I don't want you French to mess up our WC for the 4th time!!! Go Ireland!!!
Sorry.....but...... !!!!!!!

Remember that you won the Six Nations this year !!!!!!
parcdesprinces no está en línea  
Old November 19th, 2009, 12:47 AM   #1728
krudmonk
sucks
 
krudmonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sannozay
Posts: 2,265
Likes (Received): 96

Cheating scum is prohibited in this thread.
krudmonk no está en línea  
Old November 19th, 2009, 12:53 AM   #1729
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas
 
parcdesprinces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Auteuil, Paris XVI | Quercy | Monaco, MC
Posts: 16,713
Likes (Received): 9711

????????????????
parcdesprinces no está en línea  
Old November 19th, 2009, 12:55 AM   #1730
krudmonk
sucks
 
krudmonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sannozay
Posts: 2,265
Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcdesprinces View Post
????????????????
bitterness
krudmonk no está en línea  
Old November 19th, 2009, 12:58 AM   #1731
Chimbanha
Registered User
 
Chimbanha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Brasília
Posts: 1,667
Likes (Received): 1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
The comparison between the Olympics and World Cup are off base. There were other political issues involved with the Chicago bid and the feud between the IOC and USOC that impact the IOC's long-term earning potential. There isn't anything along those lines in this World Cup bidding.

As for South Africa and Brazil earning the right to host, a big part of that was Sepp Blatter's promise to spread the World Cup to smaller countries, a platform which played a huge part in him becoming FIFA President. Money is intertwined with politics as much and probably more so than altruistic motives for the best of the sport. I'm not advocating it, just stating the reality.
Likewise, the U.S. isn't nearly as affluent within FIFA than it is (or should be) within the IOC, considering they are responsible for a much lower proportion of the entity's revenues, that come mainly from Europe. And definetely nearly not enough to secure the hosting of 2 WC in the span of 30 years.

But, luckily, Australia is the only competition they've got, so they might actually have a shot.
Chimbanha no está en línea  
Old November 19th, 2009, 01:03 AM   #1732
krudmonk
sucks
 
krudmonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sannozay
Posts: 2,265
Likes (Received): 96

This is not the US versus the world. You don't think European and Mexican clubs (and national side) enjoy the American dollars they reap? It's far beyond just our best interest for football to be strong in this country.
krudmonk no está en línea  
Old November 19th, 2009, 01:16 AM   #1733
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas
 
parcdesprinces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Auteuil, Paris XVI | Quercy | Monaco, MC
Posts: 16,713
Likes (Received): 9711

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
bitterness
And I understand that ! (I'm sure you already know about the beauty of sport....sometimes you win.......and sometimes you lose)

But : "SCUM" (and cheater ).......

Indeed, tonight we "won" but as I wrote, Ireland won the 2009 Six Nations ! And I respect that !!
You know, I'm French and I still love Italy (and Italians, without insulting them).... Despite the 2006 FIFA WC FINAL.. (which is sooooo much more important than a qualification playoff, believe me )....
parcdesprinces no está en línea  
Old November 19th, 2009, 01:19 AM   #1734
Kenni
What?
 
Kenni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: LATAM
Posts: 27,219

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimbanha View Post
http://www.soccertimes.com/worldcup/2005/nov02.htm

Isn't it weird that the rights to the Spanish transmission were much more expensive than those to the English transmission? Is football popular there only within the Hispanics?
Yes. The MLS would not exist also if it wasn't for Hispanics. Univision will make back their money and then some!

I remember Italy 1990, and only Univision broadcasted the games here in the US, I remember my white friends watching Univision Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooool!
Kenni no está en línea  
Old November 19th, 2009, 03:39 AM   #1735
boyerling3
Registered User
 
boyerling3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dallas
Posts: 146
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenni View Post
Yes. The MLS would not exist also if it wasn't for Hispanics. Univision will make back their money and then some!

I remember Italy 1990, and only Univision broadcasted the games here in the US, I remember my white friends watching Univision Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooool!
I like watching games on Univision, Telemundo, etc. Sure I don't speak a lick of Spanish, but it's about the game not the BS that announcers come up with. I don't remember that world cup though since it ended 2 days before I was born, but since then I've definitely spent some time watching important games on whatever channel I could find it on.
boyerling3 no está en línea  
Old November 19th, 2009, 05:15 AM   #1736
Kenni
What?
 
Kenni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: LATAM
Posts: 27,219

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyerling3 View Post
I like watching games on Univision, Telemundo, etc. Sure I don't speak a lick of Spanish, but it's about the game not the BS that announcers come up with. I don't remember that world cup though since it ended 2 days before I was born, but since then I've definitely spent some time watching important games on whatever channel I could find it on.
Yes, the game should be the only thing that matters. But, those elaborate calls when they score a goal is not new, or a Univision/Telemundo thing. They've been called like that for ever in Latin Americna countries.

I was a very young kid when Italy 1990.
Kenni no está en línea  
Old November 19th, 2009, 05:30 AM   #1737
Chimbanha
Registered User
 
Chimbanha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Brasília
Posts: 1,667
Likes (Received): 1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenni View Post
Yes, the game should be the only thing that matters. But, those elaborate calls when they score a goal is not new, or a Univision/Telemundo thing. They've been called like that for ever in Latin Americna countries.

I was a very young kid when Italy 1990.
It's just so weird when I'm watching football on ESPN in English and there's no shouting GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL, just anti-climatic.

Even when the goal is of a country playing against Brazil there is that shout. When it's an important goal against Brazil, however (like on 2006 WC QF), it's more like "goooooooooooooooool" in a sad way instead of "GOooOOoOoOOoOOooOOoOoooOL".
Chimbanha no está en línea  
Old November 19th, 2009, 11:45 AM   #1738
1772
Registered User
 
1772's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,573
Likes (Received): 1439

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimbanha View Post
It's just so weird when I'm watching football on ESPN in English and there's no shouting GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL, just anti-climatic.

Even when the goal is of a country playing against Brazil there is that shout. When it's an important goal against Brazil, however (like on 2006 WC QF), it's more like "goooooooooooooooool" in a sad way instead of "GOooOOoOoOOoOOooOOoOoooOL".
I'm so tired of this Goooool thing. Sure, it was funny when I was a kid, or when it's like the WC final, but when people say it in a regular match it seem so... un-natural.
1772 no está en línea  
Old November 19th, 2009, 12:05 PM   #1739
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas
 
parcdesprinces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Auteuil, Paris XVI | Quercy | Monaco, MC
Posts: 16,713
Likes (Received): 9711

^ I agree, but we are not Latino-American my dear Swedish !
parcdesprinces no está en línea  
Old November 19th, 2009, 04:50 PM   #1740
1772
Registered User
 
1772's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,573
Likes (Received): 1439

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcdesprinces View Post
^ I agree, but we are not Latino-American my dear Swedish !
Yepp!
1772 no está en línea  


Closed Thread

Tags
los angeles, united states of america, world cup

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu