daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old November 19th, 2009, 10:18 PM   #1741
Kenni
What?

I was looking in youtube at different "goal" calls, hmmm, it's better with passion.
Kenni no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old November 19th, 2009, 11:06 PM   #1742
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9711

Maybe when you're not a football-fan since your early youth !!!

But, my (French) "football-culture" never been very "exuberant" !

Last edited by parcdesprinces; November 20th, 2009 at 11:52 AM.
parcdesprinces no está en línea  
Old November 20th, 2009, 05:17 PM   #1743
40oztofreedom
USA ALL THE WAY

Likes (Received): 2

definetly los angeles
40oztofreedom no está en línea  
Old November 20th, 2009, 08:52 PM   #1744
ua_bodya

Likes (Received): 2

LOL. Qatar among the candidates....

KYIV Projects !
KYIV Hotels
ua_bodya no está en línea  
Old November 23rd, 2009, 11:56 AM   #1745

Likes (Received): 1439

Quote:
Originally Posted by ua_bodya View Post
LOL. Qatar among the candidates....
Yeah, whats up with that?
As if I want to watch football in 120 degrees.
1772 no está en línea  
Old November 24th, 2009, 03:51 AM   #1746
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

The CONCACAF Executive Committee has pledged full support for the US bid in 2018/2022.

Quote:
The board also voiced unanimous support for the United States' bid to host the World Cup in either 2018 or 2022. Executive Committee member and U.S. Soccer Federation President Sunil Gulati outlined the major aspects of the bid in a video and slide-show presentation to the panel.

CONCACAF President Jack Warner congratulated the United States on its bid.

"The United States can count on the full support of CONCACAF, including Chuck Blazer, Rafael Salgueiro and myself," Warner said. The 24-member FIFA Executive Committee will decide the venues for the 2018 and 2022 World Cup in December 2010.
This is a major deal because three members of the committee, who pledged unanimous support, are three members of the FIFA Executive Committee that will vote on the hosts.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old November 24th, 2009, 03:58 AM   #1747
Bobby3

Likes (Received): 52

Haha, Diamond Jack. What a clown he is.
Bobby3 no está en línea  
Old November 24th, 2009, 04:58 AM   #1748
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

Warner has a bit of clout, though.
krudmonk no está en línea  
Old November 24th, 2009, 06:14 AM   #1749
Bobby3

Likes (Received): 52

Sadly, he does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0puFaKUg56I
Bobby3 no está en línea  
Old November 24th, 2009, 08:49 AM   #1750
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

He has quite a bit, which normally is awful because he's as corrupt as they come, but in this case, it's fantastic for the bid.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old November 24th, 2009, 09:32 AM   #1751
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

Yeah, I feel dirty with him on our side.
krudmonk no está en línea  
Old November 25th, 2009, 12:11 AM   #1752
mattec

Likes (Received): 112

whatever get us the cup...
mattec no está en línea  
Old November 25th, 2009, 09:44 AM   #1753
SIC

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimbanha View Post
http://www.soccertimes.com/worldcup/2005/nov02.htm

Isn't it weird that the rights to the Spanish transmission were much more expensive than those to the English transmission? Is football popular there only within the Hispanics?
because theres another all spanish network in the USA. Theres Telemundo and Univison, so basically theres an actual bidding war. I don't think anyone but ESPN/ABC bid for the english rights.
But yes, Hispanics are the biggest consumers of soccer in the states. For example, the Mexican league gets more viewers every week than the champions league+european leagues combined. Every single game of the mexican league is over free tv and when it's a big game. It outdraws the other networks in the 18-34 bracket in cities like Chicago, LA, Houston and etc.

Which is why I think it's funny that people say that MLS should be more like Europe, because that's wrong.....it should be more like the Mexican league if it wants to draw bigger crowds.
SIC no está en línea  
Old November 25th, 2009, 10:51 AM   #1754

SIC
But that is in no way carved in stone. Remember that football (hrrm, soccer) is the fastest growing sport in the US.
1772 no está en línea  
Old November 25th, 2009, 07:18 PM   #1755
SIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1772 View Post
SIC
But that is in no way carved in stone. Remember that football (hrrm, soccer) is the fastest growing sport in the US.
Yeah, but hispanics are the largest growing segment of the population as well. They will be 1/4 of the American population in 2050. So they'll keep pace with the growth and still the be the main consumer of soccer by sheer numbers, unless something drastic happens.
SIC no está en línea  
Old November 26th, 2009, 11:20 AM   #1756

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIC View Post
Yeah, but hispanics are the largest growing segment of the population as well. They will be 1/4 of the American population in 2050. So they'll keep pace with the growth and still the be the main consumer of soccer by sheer numbers, unless something drastic happens.
I wasn't thinking about hispanics.
Regular americans are increasingly starting to embrace the game. It is the biggest sport among kids.
1772 no está en línea  
Old November 26th, 2009, 01:37 PM   #1757
SIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1772 View Post
I wasn't thinking about hispanics.
Regular americans are increasingly starting to embrace the game. It is the biggest sport among kids.
Yeah, and my reply was......unless the whole country starts to follow the sport (doubtful). Hispanics will by far, be the largest group of soccer fans in the country. Even if the rate of white, black, asian fans in the US triples-quadruples the current numbers.
SIC no está en línea  
Old November 27th, 2009, 12:34 AM   #1758
Luke80

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby3 View Post
Haha, Diamond Jack. What a clown he is.
Here's exactly what Roy Keane thinks of him:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7612358.stm

The clip is a year out of date now, but nevertheless comedy gold as usual from Keano!
Luke80 no está en línea  
Old December 19th, 2009, 09:22 PM   #1759
CaliforniaJones

Likes (Received): 258

There would have some criterion for choosing the 18 bid cities foe the WC:
  • Popularity among public
  • Quality of venues (stadiums, accomodation, transportation, communication)
  • City appeal and reputation

Cities which should be choose are in bold.

World Cup votes as of Friday, Dec. 18:
1. Seattle; Husky Stadium & Qwest Field 19,056
2. Atlanta; the Georgia Dome 14,665
3. Houston; Reliant Stadium 12,904
4. Indianapolis; Lucas Oil Stadium 10,598
5. Philadelphia; Lincoln Financial Field 10,544
6. Miami; Land Shark Stadium 9,993
7. Kansas City, Mo.; Arrowhead Stadium 9,742
8. Tampa Bay, Fla.; Raymond James Stadium 7,723
9. Dallas; the Cotton Bowl & Cowboys Stadium 7,631
10. Cleveland, Ohio; Cleveland Browns Stadium 7,519
11. San Diego; Qualcomm Stadium 5,513
12. Jacksonville, Fla.; Jacksonville Municipal Stadium 5,473
13. Charlotte, N.C.; Bank of America Stadium 5,246
14. Orlando; Florida Citrus Bowl 5,030
15. Chicago; Soldier Field 4,813
16. New York-New Jersey; New Meadowlands Stadium 4,671
17. Boston; Gillette Stadium 4,610
18. Nashville; LP Field 4,351
19. Washington, D. C.; FedEx Field 4,078 votes
20. Oakland, Calif.; Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum 4,072
21. Baltimore; M&T Bank Stadium 3,750
22. Denver; Invesco Field 3,668
23. St. Louis, Mo.; Edward Jones Dome 3,656
24. Los Angeles; Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum & the Rose Bowl 3,094
25. Detroit; Ford Field & Michigan Stadium 1,965
26. San Francisco; Stanford Stadium 1,250
27. Phoenix-Glendale; University of Phoenix 1,163

The final choice will be made by FIFA.
Old December 21st, 2009, 12:59 PM   #1760
The Game Is Up
Proud Facebook Non-Member

Likes (Received): 256

We won't get this one. The same main problem for us exists as the problem Chicago 2016 bid team had, which is that geopolitical momentum is not on our side. Since FIFA is increasingly marketing in Asia, Australia becomes the clear-on favorite. Just a hop, skip and a jump from the lucrative Southeast Asian and Chinese markets.

But if we do get it, should the USSF keep the relationship with ESPN/ABC or go with another media company like Comcast/NBC? Before dismissing it, think about the sports-related gains that would come if a new player emerges. Comcast has Versus, which now airs hockey and not much else, because they don't have contracts with the big leagues. However, despite that, Versus is at 64 million households, while 30 million behind ESPN, is still in a lot of homes when factoring that they have not much to offer. Fox Soccer Channel only reaches barely 30 million households, for comparison sake. With NBC partnering with them, they would get a lot of clearance as NBC puts some real sports programming there. NBC also has Universal Sports, which an ota channel broadcasting individual sports most associated with the Olympic program, like track-and-field and cycling, but also offered on several cable providers. With new corporate muscle, they can be able to bid to not only keep the Olympics but bid on major sporting events such as World Cup soccer.

One advantage I can see from being on NBC is that they're more likely to air all matches featuring the US National team, regardless of whether they stink up the joint or not. Of course, that could end up being a double-edge sword if that happen. But we can all agree that NBC can be US-centric when it comes to coverage of major international sporting events. So when factoring that in I can make a best guess of the way they'd divide the coverage of a World Cup.

Here's how I think it might work:

NBC takes the Opening Match, regardless of teams. The opening match would be a big deal, especially in a US city. So they get first dibs. Then the matches featuring the US National team go to the broadcast side as well. Let's assume at least 3 matches if they crash out in the first round. However, if there's a chance that they move through the latter rounds, NBC would want to air those matches. So they'd want at least one Round 16 match and one match in the Quarters. After that, it gets easier for them, as the Semis and Final would most likely feature the traditional powers (money in the bank if one of those team is from South America or Mexico). So one Semi-final and the Final as well for NBC.

The rest of the matches would be divided by Versus, with Universal Sports getting any matches played simultaneously in the last part of the first round with either Versus or NBC (US team). Therefore, Versus (or its name successor) would get the vast majority of the matches.

My calculation came up with this:

NBC - 8 matches (incl. Opening, US Men, R16, Quarter, Semi, Final)
NBC Sports Cable or Versus - 50 matches (not including the Final)
Universal Sports - 6 matches played in the final matchday of the groups

If US is in the Opening match:

NBC - 7
Sports cable - 50
Universal Sports - 7

How likely would this scenario be? I would say 30-70. I read that ESPN has a VP who is a real soccer fan. So I think the likelihood of them keeping the right to the FIFA World Cup has increased. They also still enjoy a lot of financial muscle and are way ahead of their competition in the number of households having at least ESPN/ESPN2. However, what if the soccer coverage is only being used to lobby the IOC for the Olympics TV rights? That is a factor that worries me. If they do win the Olympics TV rights, with their commitments to NFL, MLB, NBA, NASCAR, college football and possibly March Madness, something will have to give. I think soccer would be one of their sacrificial lambs to get all the big money sports properties. The USSF should have a plan B if ESPN does drop them after 2014.

Now with regards to the Spanish language coverage, things could get much more interesting if Telemundo becomes a true player to get the TV rights to the World Cup. If the new NBC can put real financial backing into Telemundo then they might take it away from Univision. However, Univision has enjoyed such a long relationship with FIFA that it'd be difficult for them to lose the rights. Still, with the rapidly-changing technology, a Telemundo would be able to cut into the advantage Univision has over them sometime in the future. For example, Telemundo would be able to start a secondary service at little cost just to air the matches played simultaneously live in the near future. I think this scenario is more likely than ESPN/ABC losing the English-language rights.

If Australia gets the World Cup, then you might as well give it to ESPN because any other US media company - apart from foreign language - would not bother to air all the matches live.

Closed Thread

Tags
los angeles, united states of america, world cup