daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old January 11th, 2010, 11:44 PM   #1781
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaJones View Post
Don't forget many chinese could easily travel in South Korea rather in Japan because of travel costs for 2002 WC. If a WC go to China, it could be less expensive for the majority going to another chinese cities than going to Australia.
Furthermore, China has more stadiums (>= 40000 places) and more cities than Australia.
China isn't bidding & hasn't signalled their intention to bid for 2026 either. So the argument is null & void.
Wezza no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old January 12th, 2010, 11:58 AM   #1782
The Game Is Up
Proud Facebook Non-Member

Likes (Received): 255

A bit OT but this could have big implications down the road for future World Cup TV rights. Fox is going to announce that they're going to start up Fox Soccer Plus, with a date of March 1 rumored to be the debut. I know it's very early days but, depending on how it would be distributed through the cable and satellite providers, this would give Fox another platform in which they can convince the higher-ups at the soccer world bodies that they have the sufficient resources to showcase the World Cup in the U.S.. You add the worldwide reach of Fox already in place and the potential team-up of NBC and Universal Sports with Versus, they'd be additional pressure on ESPN if they want to keep the U.S. TV rights beyond 2014. Not that ESPN isn't anticipating tougher competition already.

If anything, this would give MLS needed leverage or at least a Plan B and a Plan C in case ESPN decides to drop them at some point in the future.

The article is here - http://www.epltalk.com/fox-soccer-pl...h-1-2010/14760

Oh, and the pare-down of cities for the U.S. bid is also later today.
Old January 12th, 2010, 11:13 PM   #1783
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

No Chicago and no S.F. Bay metro included on the list. As a Chicagoan I admit to being in a mild state of shock. Wowzers, that sucks.

http://www.gousabid.com/blog/entry/1...paign=20100112

Make the cut
Seattle
LA
San Diego
Phoenix
Kansas City
Denver
Dallas
Houston
Nashville
Indianapolis
Atlanta
Tampa Bay
Miami
Washington D.C.
Baltimore
Philadelphia
New York
Boston

Eliminated
........Due to FIFA's eighteen city maximum, nine host cities had to be eliminated. In alphabetical order, they are: Charlotte, Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, Jacksonville, Oakland, Orlando, St. Louis and San Francisco
Old January 12th, 2010, 11:15 PM   #1784
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

Likes (Received): 5222

Wow San Diego was selected, I'm glad

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea  
Old January 12th, 2010, 11:16 PM   #1785
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

The bay area doesn't have a suitable stadium. Then again, neither does San Diego and Chicago's is fine.
krudmonk no está en línea  
Old January 12th, 2010, 11:37 PM   #1786
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Quote:
http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com...-cup-host.html

Chicago bypassed as potential World Cup host
January 12, 2010 3:10 PM | 1 Comment
Staff report

First the Olympics snub, and now this: Chicago is not on the list of 18 cities that U.S. Soccer's bid committee will submit to FIFA in its efforts to host the World Cup in 2018 or 2022.

After an eight-month host city selection process, the committee Tuesday announced the list of cities that will be included in its official bid book to FIFA on May 14. The cities chosen were Atlanta, Baltimore, Boston, Dallas, Denver, Houston, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Los Angeles, Miami, Nashville, New York, Philadelphia, Phoenix, San Diego, Seattle, Tampa and Washington, D.C.

Rejected along with Chicago were Charlotte, Cleveland, Detroit, Jacksonville, Oakland, Orlando, St. Louis and San Francisco. Four of those cities (Chicago, Detroit, Orlando and San Francisco) were chosen when the United States hosted the World Cup in 1994.

"The United States is equipped and ready to offer FIFA the opportunity to host a passionate and successful World Cup where fans, teams, partners and media can experience the beautiful game at its highest level while allowing the world soccer family to focus on the utmost mission of the game that benefits the world as a whole," said Sunil Gulati, the chairman of the USA Bid Committee and president of U.S. Soccer.

FIFA's will select the host nation for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups on Dec. 2.
Old January 13th, 2010, 12:07 AM   #1787
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

Absolutely shocked about Chicago and to a lesser degree, San Francisco. I think the reason Chicago got the boot is because Soldier Field has a small capacity compared to the rest of the stadiums and the committee is really pushing huge attendances in their bid. Of all 18 stadiums, the smallest one is Gillette Stadium at over 68,000.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old January 13th, 2010, 12:31 AM   #1788
Livno80101
studying

Likes (Received): 3

I am shocked for Chicago... after losing 2016 games, now they lost WC matches.... also for San Francisco... but California will get 2 cities for sure... they have to, biggest state, three MLS clubs.... USSF should choose 6 cities from West (LA, SD, Phoenix, Seattle, Denver, Dallas/Houston) and 6 from East (NYC, Boston, Philadelphia, Washington, Miami and Atlanta). 6:6 is because teams would have more time to rest, as one match in group in NY, and next in LA is stupid and hard..... Groups A-D in East and E-F on West, then knockout round is just switched, semis in East (NY and Boston), Final and 3rd Place match on West (Final in LA, 3rd in Dallas)
Livno80101 no está en línea  
Old January 13th, 2010, 12:45 AM   #1789
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

At least replace Tampa with Chicago...
hngcm no está en línea  
Old January 13th, 2010, 12:47 AM   #1790
ryebreadraz

I'd been thinking that they would go with four pods of three cities each to reduce travel, but now that we see this list, two pods with six cities each makes sense. I agree with your list Livno except I'd bump Phoenix or San Diego and have both Dallas and Houston int he west, while I'd bump Atlanta in favor of Kansas City in the east so the midwest is represented.
Old January 13th, 2010, 12:53 AM   #1791
Bobby3

Likes (Received): 52

There's a reason Atlanta got picked, 75,000 reasons.

http://www.ussoccer.com/News/Federat...ia-Soccer.aspx
Bobby3 no está en línea  
Old January 13th, 2010, 01:08 AM   #1792
Livno80101
studying

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
I'd been thinking that they would go with four pods of three cities each to reduce travel, but now that we see this list, two pods with six cities each makes sense. I agree with your list Livno except I'd bump Phoenix or San Diego and have both Dallas and Houston int he west, while I'd bump Atlanta in favor of Kansas City in the east so the midwest is represented.
yeah, but SD must be in as there is on SF... and good, replace Phoenix with Houston, so you have both Houston and Dallas... I dont know about Kansas (only reason could be Wizards)
Livno80101 no está en línea  
Old January 13th, 2010, 01:14 AM   #1793
ryebreadraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livno80101 View Post
yeah, but SD must be in as there is on SF... and good, replace Phoenix with Houston, so you have both Houston and Dallas... I dont know about Kansas (only reason could be Wizards)
Well San Diego is still waiting on a new stadium and I'm not very confident that they get it done. While I think they would like to have two California representatives, Los Angeles and San Diego are just a two hour drive away from each other so FIFA may deem that too close and instead put Phoenix in there. I'm not a huge Kansas City fan, but I think they need the middle of the country represented. Maybe they'll put Indianapolis in there instead, but I think that region needs some representation.
Old January 13th, 2010, 02:30 AM   #1794
CaliforniaJones

Likes (Received): 255

I proposed two conferences previously : East and West
I knew Detroit would be bumped, not Chicago. They had an olympic fatigue.
The us bid board selected most enthousiastic, dynamic and economicaly strongest cities for a solid us bid for WC.
My choice for final cities.

East: NY (Opening game, semi final), Boston, Washington DC (semi final), Miami, Kansas city/Atlanta, Indianapolis/Nashville
West: LA (final), Phoenix, Seattle, Houston, Dallas, Denver

The US bid will have more stadiums than other bids and will present no new buildings or major renovations.
The inspection group would have to travel in each city to watch the stadiums. The US will be the last country to be visited among the bids. Huge work to do for the inspection group.

Last edited by CaliforniaJones; January 13th, 2010 at 03:03 AM.
CaliforniaJones está en línea ahora  
Old January 13th, 2010, 03:10 AM   #1795
massp88

Likes (Received): 215

Quote:
Absolutely shocked about Chicago and to a lesser degree, San Francisco. I think the reason Chicago got the boot is because Soldier Field has a small capacity compared to the rest of the stadiums and the committee is really pushing huge attendances in their bid. Of all 18 stadiums, the smallest one is Gillette Stadium at over 68,000.
Gillette is not the smallest. Gillette has a capacity of 68,756. That is larger than Lincoln Financial Field, Qwest Field, Raymond James Stadium, University of Phoenix, and Lucas Oil.

Out of those 5, Raymond and University can be expanded. I find it unlikely that there will be a need to, unless the U.S. is playing, or Mexico is playing at University.

Last edited by massp88; January 13th, 2010 at 03:15 AM.
massp88 no está en línea  
Old January 13th, 2010, 03:27 AM   #1796
ryebreadraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by massp88 View Post
Gillette is not the smallest. Gillette has a capacity of 68,756. That is larger than Lincoln Financial Field, Qwest Field, Raymond James Stadium, University of Phoenix, and Lucas Oil.

Out of those 5, Raymond and University can be expanded. I find it unlikely that there will be a need to, unless the U.S. is playing, or Mexico is playing at University.
Lucas Oil, Raymond James , Qwest and University can all be expanded and I believe they will for the simple reason that they can and they can fill it. You're right though about Lincoln Financial being smaller though because I counted standing room seats that they sell for football games and won't be used for World Cup matches if chosen.
Old January 13th, 2010, 03:53 AM   #1797
massp88

Likes (Received): 215

Quote:
Lucas Oil, Raymond James , Qwest and University can all be expanded and I believe they will for the simple reason that they can and they can fill it. You're right though about Lincoln Financial being smaller though because I counted standing room seats that they sell for football games and won't be used for World Cup matches if chosen.
Gillette can also be expanded if needed.

As of now, I have a hard time seeing Tempe filling over 72,000, unless the U.S. or Mexico are to be playing. Same thing with Tampa, I have a hard time seeing them get 75,000 for a match, unless the U.S. is playing.
massp88 no está en línea  
Old January 13th, 2010, 04:30 AM   #1798
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

Who's playing in Tempe?
krudmonk no está en línea  
Old January 13th, 2010, 05:03 AM   #1799
ryebreadraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Who's playing in Tempe?
I think he means Glendale/Phoenix. All the same market. I guess we just have to agree to disagree because I think they would fill 70,000+.
Old January 13th, 2010, 05:30 AM   #1800
Bobby3

Likes (Received): 52

All of the matches will be sell outs. I think people forget just how massive Phoenix is, it's the fifth biggest city in the country.
Bobby3 no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
los angeles, united states of america, world cup