daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old January 13th, 2010, 09:18 PM   #1821
massp88

Likes (Received): 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby3 View Post
1. New York City, New York - 8,363,710
2. Los Angeles, California - 3,833,995
3. Chicago, Illinois - 2,853,114
4. Houston, Texas - 2,242,193
5. Phoenix, Arizona - 1,567,924

I said city.
City population means nothing. Metro area population has more weight.
massp88 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old January 13th, 2010, 09:23 PM   #1822
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

Quote:
Originally Posted by massp88 View Post
Answer this then, why, in 1994, did every game in the US not sellout? Don't bother making the, oh that was almost 16 years ago argument. Look at the attendance figures.....stadiums were not sold out.
Most of the games were and the games set a very nice attendance record, thank you very much. So while some matches featuring smaller/weaker nations may not draw well, clearly a majority of the games will reach capacity.
Old January 13th, 2010, 09:27 PM   #1823
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metros11 View Post
Before everyone here freaks out over cities, venues and events, please read the following blog post:

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/blog.php?b=7421

I think this guys makes some good points some of you should listen to.
Yes, he makes some good points and many of our thoughts are typical message board overreaction. Still, given the weights of the decision it seems awfully curious to see this particular process yield these results. Especially since while it is likely that the Bay Area will see at least one new, WC worthy venue, it is highly unlikely Soldier Field will be expanded and remains a highly attractive stadium regardless. Thus, why is the bid committee leaving off the USA's "Second City?" I'm not panicking, but I am baffled.
Old January 13th, 2010, 09:30 PM   #1824
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Here's a Soccernet article bemoaning the absence of Chi Town from the list.

"That's right. The very city that the U.S. Soccer Federation calls home, the third-largest media market in the country, and the town that hosted the opening game of the 1994 FIFA World Cup will not be among the list of cities included in the bid."
Old January 13th, 2010, 09:31 PM   #1825
massp88

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
Most of the games were and the games set a very nice attendance record, thank you very much. So while some matches featuring smaller/weaker nations may not draw well, clearly a majority of the games will reach capacity.
I never said that the 1994 WC was not well attended; it was the most attended ever. You are supporting my claim that say a Croatia vs. Australia match in Glendale will not sell 72,000 tickets.

I realize that most matches will sellout or be at near capacity. But there will be matches that take place between smaller countries in population, or soccer history that will not sellout.

I expect the next WC held in the US will see even higher attendance.
massp88 no está en línea  
Old January 13th, 2010, 09:36 PM   #1826
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

^ In which case the semantics over whether or not certain games sell out is an immaterial given that applies to pretty much every WC, unless all the venues are at minimum capacity. It's not like we'll ever see a WC venue half full.

Bottom line is a US hosted event would likely establish a new attendance record, agreed?
Old January 13th, 2010, 10:47 PM   #1827
-Corey-
Je suis tout ā vous

Likes (Received): 5222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livno80101 View Post
I think that SF can have suitable venue built till 2018/2022... if South Africa could built 8 new stadiums in 5 years, and Angola 4 new stadiums in 2.5 years, also USA can build at least one...

USA will get World Cup

p.s. but I, personally, prefer SD more then SF
Yup, and Mexico is right next door, that's why I think San Diego was chosen over San Francisco.

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea  
Old January 13th, 2010, 11:12 PM   #1828
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Corey- View Post
Yup, and Mexico is right next door, that's why I think San Diego was chosen over San Francisco.
Thank heavens! Clearly it would be difficult for Mexicans or footie fans from elsewhere in Latin America to reach the other host cities.

Old January 13th, 2010, 11:36 PM   #1829
atlas400

Likes (Received): 0

Yessss Denver made the cut
atlas400 no está en línea  
Old January 14th, 2010, 09:06 AM   #1830
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
- ...San Diego, with their similar stadium situation, remains eligible?!! Clearly they're in the running as both a tourist draw and possible travel partner with LA, and obviously Qualcomm meets the min. standards, but since they'd obviously prefer to see this venue upgraded why is the potential here any greater than Orlando?
The San Diego bid is banking on a brand new stadium for the Chargers that SHOULD be built by 2022.

Plus San Diego is a better city than Disney World.
hngcm no está en línea  
Old January 14th, 2010, 11:19 AM   #1831
Kobo

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:

I realize that most matches will sellout or be at near capacity. But there will be matches that take place between smaller countries in population, or soccer history that will not sellout.
Well actually during the 1994 USA World Cup the smaller matches did sell out pretty much to full capacity. Take the possibly weakest match in the tournament: Saudi Arabia vs Morocco played at Giants 77,000 capacity stadium in New Jersey. 76,322 people showed up to see this game. Or Greece vs Bulgaria played at Chicago's 67,000 Soldier field 63,160 showed up to support. The thing about Americans is that if their is a big show in town they will go and watch it.
Kobo no está en línea  
Old January 14th, 2010, 12:55 PM   #1832
Livno80101
studying

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobo View Post
Well actually during the 1994 USA World Cup the smaller matches did sell out pretty much to full capacity. Take the possibly weakest match in the tournament: Saudi Arabia vs Morocco played at Giants 77,000 capacity stadium in New Jersey. 76,322 people showed up to see this game. Or Greece vs Bulgaria played at Chicago's 67,000 Soldier field 63,160 showed up to support. The thing about Americans is that if their is a big show in town they will go and watch it.
Yes, just big show is needed and Americans will show... there is really one important thing in American culture - going to big sports events - unlike some other parts of the world... so selling stadium out wont be any problem + there is many people from all over the world in USA...
Livno80101 no está en línea  
Old January 14th, 2010, 02:23 PM   #1833
PaulFCB
BANNED

Likes (Received): 262

Yeah, the attendance was quite great in 1994, I guess the Americans somehow even though they don't love football they came in big numbers, Romania played 3 out of 5 games on the Rose Bowl then and the stadium was as full as it was during the final and it was great since they were all 3 great victories.

Columbia-Romania 93.586
USA-Romania 93.869
Romania-Argentina 90.469
PaulFCB no está en línea  
Old January 14th, 2010, 02:45 PM   #1834

Likes (Received): 1439

I sure hope they'll tear down RFK, build a massive +100K stadium and replace FedEx Field with it.

Imagine the WC finale in the middle of DC!
1772 no está en línea  
Old January 14th, 2010, 03:02 PM   #1835
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21051

Guys, I think the US is playing its cards on bidding over massive stadia, with (far) greater seat capacity than ever other country would ever bid. All selected cities have good lodging and transportation links, and all of them can host the matches.

The US is so big, and so diversified, that a massive sport event can be hold bypassing some major cities without comprising its quality. If Casper, WY, were selected, I'd start being concerned (lovely place, but no capacity).

Anyhow, offering the use of NFL stadia is a huge selling on the American bid. They are huge, they have tons of facilities (club seats, parking lots etc.) and they draw no long-term economic feasibilty concern that would otherwise exist if US were proposing to build soccer-only stadium construction.
Old January 14th, 2010, 05:01 PM   #1836
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hngcm View Post
The San Diego bid is banking on a brand new stadium for the Chargers that SHOULD be built by 2022.

Plus San Diego is a better city than Disney World.
I like SD, I was simply implying that the reasoning SD was seemingly included (the promise for something better) didn't seem to also apply to SF or Orlando. It seems a double standard was at play, in my eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1772
I sure hope they'll tear down RFK, build a massive +100K stadium and replace FedEx Field with it.
As long as the Redskins owners pay for most of it and DC United isn't shuffled off to some suburban wasteland. I'd love to see such a venue, and the WC final, played in DC or NYC, but taxpayers have already been fleeced with the Nationals ballpark and DC United have been treated like garbage by the District.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist
Guys, I think the US is playing its cards on bidding over massive stadia, with (far) greater seat capacity than ever other country would ever bid. All selected cities have good lodging and transportation links, and all of them can host the matches.
Ya think?!!

Seriously, this is all well and good but FIFA and US Soccer must also recall that the totality of the experience stretches far and long beyond the game. Many tourists would be in the States for 2+ weeks, and probably taking in an average of 4-5 games. The logistics and costs for travel and lodging, among other factors, must be considered. I'd be very leery of an event that uses huge stadia but finds the fans and teams scattered hither and yon to points less attractive for tourists and forces people to spend ungodly amounts of time spent traveling as opposed to actually experiencing US culture.

Then again, long commuting is a decidedly US trait...
Old January 14th, 2010, 08:33 PM   #1837
JYDA

Likes (Received): 94

They should use a pod system and regionalize the early part of the tournament. Just don't make it like the Gold Cup where every team takes a 4 hour flight between every game
JYDA no está en línea  
Old January 14th, 2010, 09:56 PM   #1838
massp88

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1772 View Post

Imagine the WC finale in the middle of DC!
You will not see an 100,000 plus seat stadium for an NFL team. I don't even think you will see an NFL stadium that has more than 80-85,000 seats.

The current Fed Ex Field won't be replicated if Snyder and Co. want to build a World Class venue.
massp88 no está en línea  
Old January 14th, 2010, 11:52 PM   #1839
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
You will not see an 100,000 plus seat stadium for an NFL team. I don't even think you will see an NFL stadium that has more than 80-85,000 seats.

The current Fed Ex Field won't be replicated if Snyder and Co. want to build a World Class venue.
It's an ego thing with Snyder and a bunch of other owners. Snyder will make sure that his stadium holds more than Jerry World. Maybe not with the 100,000+ capacity that they used once, but definitely bigger than 85,000 or so that they regularly have. My guess is any new stadium Snyder builds will be in the 95,000 range.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old January 15th, 2010, 01:35 AM   #1840
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 858

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulFCB View Post
Yeah, the attendance was quite great in 1994, I guess the Americans somehow even though they don't love football they came in big numbers, Romania played 3 out of 5 games on the Rose Bowl then and the stadium was as full as it was during the final and it was great since they were all 3 great victories.

Columbia-Romania 93.586
USA-Romania 93.869
Romania-Argentina 90.469

i have to point one thing out. lots of Americans love futbol. We love top notch futbol. In fact, i would say Futbol is easily the favorite sport in the Los Angeles area, followed by basketball then football then baseball (all with huge followings). there are millions of immigrants from Iran, Mexico, Europe, so there are plenty of fans. Same goes for NYC, Chicago, SF, etc.

I think the world cup in the USA would easily sell out every game, and would shatter attendance records as it did in 94.
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
los angeles, united states of america, world cup