daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old January 15th, 2010, 04:31 AM   #1841
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by massp88 View Post
You will not see an 100,000 plus seat stadium for an NFL team. I don't even think you will see an NFL stadium that has more than 80-85,000 seats.

The current Fed Ex Field won't be replicated if Snyder and Co. want to build a World Class venue.
Im sure that whatever stadium Snyder builds will have a similar capacity to FedEx Field. 92K works.

Whatever stadium replaces FedEx will look nothing like it. Not even Jack Kent Cooke really liked the place Ive heard. It was built hastily to spite the DC city council.

Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2010, 04:39 AM   #1842
CaliforniaJones

Likes (Received): 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
i have to point one thing out. lots of Americans love futbol. We love top notch futbol. In fact, i would say Futbol is easily the favorite sport in the Los Angeles area, followed by basketball then football then baseball (all with huge followings). there are millions of immigrants from Iran, Mexico, Europe, so there are plenty of fans. Same goes for NYC, Chicago, SF, etc.

I think the world cup in the USA would easily sell out every game, and would shatter attendance records as it did in 94.
Furthermore, it would not be a surprised if New York would host the opening game and LA the final if the US was selected as WC host for 2022. One LA venue needs at leat to be modernized .
Washington DC with FedEx field doesn't seem to be appropriate to host a final. it deserves one semi final
Old January 15th, 2010, 05:11 AM   #1843
Snorky33

Likes (Received): 3

It's not if but when the U.S. do play host, which city do you think will host the final? I'm picking Dallas not only because it has one of the best stadiums not only in the U.S. but in the world, the other reason giving Texas a chance this time of staging a major world sporting event, sorry but the state of California has had it's fair share of these kind of events over the past decades...this time give it to Dallas Texas...thank you FIFA.
Snorky33 no está en línea  
Old January 15th, 2010, 05:55 AM   #1844
en1044
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaJones View Post
Furthermore, it would not be a surprised if New York would host the opening game and LA the final if the US was selected as WC host for 2022. One LA venue needs at leat to be modernized .
Washington DC with FedEx field doesn't seem to be appropriate to host a final. it deserves one semi final
Well FedEx Field wont really exist in 2022, so its irrelevant.
Old January 15th, 2010, 05:56 AM   #1845
en1044
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorky33 View Post
It's not if but when the U.S. do play host, which city do you think will host the final? I'm picking Dallas not only because it has one of the best stadiums not only in the U.S. but in the world, the other reason giving Texas a chance this time of staging a major world sporting event, sorry but the state of California has had it's fair share of these kind of events over the past decades...this time give it to Dallas Texas...thank you FIFA.
Im not thinking Dallas really has the appeal to host the final.
Old January 15th, 2010, 06:34 AM   #1846
jean1991

Likes (Received): 16

I'll say New York will host the final, biggest stage in the world. Lot of european and latin futbol fans.
jean1991 no está en línea  
Old January 15th, 2010, 06:40 AM   #1847
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

I think Los Angeles and New York will be singled out as the two major cities in play and one will host the final, while the other gets the opener and international broadcast center.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old January 15th, 2010, 08:24 AM   #1848
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Was it really ever explained why the Rose Bowl was chosen for the final last time? Not that I disagree with the choice at all but I do wonder how much consideration was given to NYC for the final. I don't think RFK stadium would have even been a consideration.
Old January 15th, 2010, 09:15 AM   #1849

Likes (Received): 1439

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
i have to point one thing out. lots of Americans love futbol. We love top notch futbol. In fact, i would say Futbol is easily the favorite sport in the Los Angeles area, followed by basketball then football then baseball (all with huge followings). there are millions of immigrants from Iran, Mexico, Europe, so there are plenty of fans. Same goes for NYC, Chicago, SF, etc.

I think the world cup in the USA would easily sell out every game, and would shatter attendance records as it did in 94.
Why do you say "futbol"? Speak english buddy.
1772 no está en línea  
Old January 15th, 2010, 09:18 AM   #1850

Likes (Received): 1439

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Was it really ever explained why the Rose Bowl was chosen for the final last time? Not that I disagree with the choice at all but I do wonder how much consideration was given to NYC for the final. I don't think RFK stadium would have even been a consideration.
Naturally I'm not talking about the present RFK but a whole new stadium.

I can see the heli-cams over the stadium with the Capitolium in the background...
MAGIC!
1772 no está en línea  
Old January 15th, 2010, 09:25 AM   #1851
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1772 View Post
Why do you say "futbol"? Speak english buddy.
This debate is ******* stupid both ways, so just drop it.
krudmonk no está en línea  
Old January 15th, 2010, 10:21 AM   #1852
Snorky33

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
I think Los Angeles and New York will be singled out as the two major cities in play and one will host the final, while the other gets the opener and international broadcast center.
Yes you're probably right New York being an international city would be the best place to host the final...but is it's main football stadium on a par with what Dallas has got? but at the very least Dallas should get one semi-final and Denver the other and NYC the final yeah that's sounds like a good compromise.

Last edited by Snorky33; January 15th, 2010 at 10:30 AM.
Snorky33 no está en línea  
Old January 15th, 2010, 10:26 AM   #1853
en1044
Unregistered User

Quote:
Yes you're probably right New York being an international city would be the best place to host the final...but is it's main football stadium on a par with what Dallas has got? but at the very least Dallas should get one semi-final and Denver the other and NYC the final yeah that's like a good compromise.
Why in the world would Denver be hosting a semi final?

And BTW, i dont think Cowboys Stadium is really that much better than New Meadowlands. I think that its been way overhyped in that sense.

EDIT: Look, I know you Dallas folk will probably bash me for this, but I just dont see how Dallas can match up to New York when it comes to hosting the final match of the largest sporting event in the world. Not saying Dallas cant, just that NYC can do it better.

Last edited by en1044; January 15th, 2010 at 12:19 PM.
en1044 no está en línea  
Old January 15th, 2010, 11:55 AM   #1854
MS20

Likes (Received): 2

New Meadowlands is way better than Cowboys stadium. I much prefer the classical style of NM; in saying that I think Im the only person who hates the giant screen at Cowboys stadium. The entire place just looks like a warehouse.
MS20 no está en línea  
Old January 15th, 2010, 05:38 PM   #1855
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS20 View Post
New Meadowlands is way better than Cowboys stadium. I much prefer the classical style of NM; in saying that I think Im the only person who hates the giant screen at Cowboys stadium. The entire place just looks like a warehouse.
I wouldn't say a warehouse but otherwise I agree with you. The new Meadowlands appears a much more graceful interior and arguably has better sightlines given the compact form. The Cowboys venue is truly nice but so many nuances to the interior form I tire of the disjointed seating arrangements. As for the huge screens, while they do permit more seating they also seem a distraction and an architectural afterthought. I'm sure the venue works very well and will surely bring Mr. Jones plenty of money, but as an architectural piece I prefer the general form of the new Meadowlands.

I'll reserve final judgment until visit both venues, though, obviously.
Old January 15th, 2010, 05:47 PM   #1856
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by massp88 View Post
You will not see an 100,000 plus seat stadium for an NFL team. I don't even think you will see an NFL stadium that has more than 80-85,000 seats.

The current Fed Ex Field won't be replicated if Snyder and Co. want to build a World Class venue.
You mean just in DC or anywhere? Cause obviously the Redskins and Cowboys are averaging above 84k this season, while the new Meadowlands will seat 82k.

True, 65-78k seems to be the common range, as seats any further away than what such venues would offer tend to be much worse than what the average fan could find on his couch. But it seems the market is definitely there for some teams to pass the 80k mark, pending costs and appeal of the seats. I bet Denver and Green bay could pull it off, but there venues aren't as conducive to expansion.
Old January 15th, 2010, 06:44 PM   #1857
KingmanIII

Likes (Received): 415

STILL can't understand how CHICAGO was left off in favor of NASHVILLE.

Seriously, freaking NASHVILLE!
KingmanIII no está en línea  
Old January 15th, 2010, 07:33 PM   #1858
massp88

Likes (Received): 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1044 View Post
Im not thinking Dallas really has the appeal to host the final.
There is no way that Dallas, Texas will be hosting the World Cup final. Period.

It will either be in 3 cities: New York, Washington, D.C., or Los Angeles.
massp88 no está en línea  
Old January 15th, 2010, 07:50 PM   #1859
Bobby3

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Dallas won't host it. Remember the final isn't taking place tomorrow, that stadium has already lost some gloss, by 2022 it'll be average at best.
Bobby3 no está en línea  
Old January 15th, 2010, 08:42 PM   #1860
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingmanIII View Post
STILL can't understand how CHICAGO was left off in favor of NASHVILLE.

Seriously, freaking NASHVILLE!
Well, let's explore this.

Clearly they USSF was looking for some original locations, either to pacify the severity of the geography spread and/or to introduce new destinations into the international vocabulary. Yes, they could do the same-ol, same-ol with the usual cast of characters, but in some instances the venues may not be up to speed and frankly some of them may not be inspired: Supposedly many people avoid Orlando because of overt tourism already flooding the Disney metropolis. Plus there's the idea of incentive - Some cities may be looking to attract new eyes and visitors and are bending over backwards in their cooperation with USSF (Atlanta) while other, supposedly obvious choices are floundering in the political support of their bid (Chicago).

Nashville has a fine venue in LP Field, located near downtown and waterfront areas with a stable of tourist attractions and plenty of nightlife. It's also a fairly safe and clean city and, most importantly, as the hub of country music is decidedly American. This is something the USSF may wish to show off and tourists may want to see. Case in point: When the Olympics came to Atlanta the most popular tourist attractions were the things related to the Civil War, Gone with the Wind, etc.

Arguably Nashville is among the weaker bid cities remaining (I rate Indy and KC lower, personally) and I don't expect them to be chosen, but I can at least understand why they've been considered through this point.

And yes, the US men's side has played a game there before. I believe two. I just didn't find an aerial/high view photo of those games.

Last edited by GunnerJacket; January 15th, 2010 at 08:47 PM.
GunnerJacket no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
los angeles, united states of america, world cup